28.2 Extra: Day of the First Snow Part III

IZ*One : Everyday As We Dream

28.2

Day of the First Snow Part III

These are stories from the other girl's that happened on the day of the first snow. 6 of 6.

 


28.2.5

A Comforting Presence

[Nako & Yujin]

Have she told you it’s cold like freaking cold. She’s quite sure the temperature of this cursed night is approaching negative but that is not that only reason why she is feeling cold. She drags her foot to the concrete, walking to the very familiar street. Somewhere there in the back of her mind she does not want to traverse the same street to go back to a place she has called home for about half the year now.

Clad in padded coat, with the hood up, and her hand in its pocket. She’s looking hella suspicious, if not for her petite – barely 5feet frame she would be scary sight but catching her reflection from the glass window she realized she looks like a penguin, waddling – rather than walking the streets. She doesn’t know if that’s something anyone would find adorable because she honestly thinks she looks rather sad.

She shivered and her breath is frosting in the air. She took her phone out to check the temperature and hello high low negative one is the temperature. No wonder its cold. Now she wonders if she should have worn that red scarf that their apartment manager has given to all of them as thanks. She have gifted them that due to no other reason than learning from the resident duck that there is such thing as thanks giving day on the other side of the world. Logically speaking, it would have help but she left it at their company. She purposely left it, she sighed, puffed her cheeks and blow air just to watch it turn to mist. Her eyes are watering and tears started flowing down her cheeks.    

It’s just now she realizes that she stops and is looking at the glass pane window of the konbini that she and her friends from the apartment frequent. Few more blocks she will be home, but she does not want to. What time is it already? It’s 10:30 or so. She glances at her reflection once again internally agreed to herself that she looks pathetic.

Her chest is aching and everything is cold. She looks up to the sky and let out a puff of air, it once again turn to mist like her love that failed to reach its destination. How the hell does it hurts so much?  

She buried all this pain in practicing earlier, trying to forget the things she saw by putting everything in to work. Now that she is alone walking down the street in the cold, things come rushing in just like her tears. She wipes them off with her arms, thinking they probably are turning to ice at the very moment.

Why is it so painful? She sniffled; she tried to calm herself by tapping her fist to her chest.  

She’s stuck at that place, not wanting to go forward or back, her vision clouding.  

“Nako-unnie!?”

A voice called her back to Earth; it has that youthful energy all while sounding really worried.

"What are you doing outside? Aren’t you buying something unnie?”

In a way that voice helps her not to break down on her knees. Her vision goes back to normal but words are things that she seems to not been able to find. Words are things that she been good at yet at this moment words, excuses or even a simple hello is not finding its way through her lips.

She stands there facing the streets forward, away from the younger girl who just steps out.

Realizing her unnie is acting strange, the puppy like girl embraces her gently from behind. “Unnie~~” she whispered. Feeling her Nako-unnie is shivering due to cold, she took out some pocket warmers and places them beside the smaller girl cheeks.

“Yah Yujinie!!!!” Nako snarled, quickly turning to face the younger girl who has grin plastered over her face after pulling off a successful prank.

That grin quickly vanished as concern spread on her face because see her Nako-unnie snaps at her crying.

“Unnie, why are you crying!?”  Yujin don’t know what to do, she put the warmers back to her pocket and cups the smaller girl’s face.

“It’s nothing Yujinie.”

“No, it’s not nothing.”

Yujin hug her cradling her head to her chest. “It’s not nothing you’re crying so it’s not nothing.”

She once again cups her cheeks or more like squeezing them. “Unnie~ you know you can tell me your problems.” She whined. This made Nako chuckle, there is different way people react to their friend breaking down and Yujin is definitely trying. It’s something the younger will most likely learn as she grows old, right now she is doing her best based on her understanding.

See the kid is naturally energetic and funny who wants people to laugh rather than seeing them frown. In due time, Nako told herself. The girl will learn that some things are better when you cry it out. The awkwardness that is remarkably fifteen is there, the younger is trying her best to understand her friend and comfort her, in her own way.

The taller girl is right now purposely squeezing the smaller girl’s face, after making her chuckle earlier.   This is met with a quick swipe from that older.

“Na na Yujinie I’m ok now.” She spatted, lightly punching the younger to her stomach.

Yujin laugh at her unnie’s attempt at punching her. She is happy that the smile is back at older girl’s face, thinking this unnie is better with smiling scheming look rather than a crying one. To Yujin she’s cute and she’s cute smiling than crying and the younger knows that the older is not fine contrary to what she is saying.  

“I don’t think your ok.” She took a hand warmer again and places it to the other girl’s palm. She then took her unnie by her wrist and started leading the way, determined.

“Where are we going?”

“Park.”

“Ehh , it’s late. We should be going back, aren’t they going to look for you?”

“Nope, there’s no Yena-Unnie, and I have not seen Minjoo-unnie yet.”

“Still.”

“No Still, no buts, no ifs, Unnie. We are going to the park and you’ll tell me what’s going on. ” Yujin hold her wrist with so much conviction but also equal amount of care.

Nako sighed and let the taller girl lead the way. She is quite thankful – because it let her have an excuse not to go back yet and if they ask where the kid is? She will tell them the younger is with her.

They entered the familiar park, drop by at the Pojangmacha tent and bought tteokbokki without raising much suspicion about why they still there at way pass 10.

All Yujin did is act like a spoiled kid who just wants to eat tteokbokki and she manage to make Nako bought it for her, much to her joy and much to her unnie’s annoyance.

“Seriously, you just want me to treat you to some tteokbokki.” the way Nako says those words make her sound like a native speaker.

“Ich nwot chat.” Yujin tried to mutter, “I wacnt chu tsell me why chu crying.” She mumbled as she tried to swallow the mouthful of tteokbokki she stuffs , making Nako giggle at her silliness.

“I told you, I’m fine.” Nako hummed; truthfully right now she can’t say she is fine. Being around the younger and watching her do silly things has removed some of those pains.

“No you’re not, I’m not buying it.” Yujin insisted, she then pick up some tteokbokki to feed the older, “Here you should eat some.”

Nako smiled, she has gotten used to being fed by Yujin. The younger has a habit of offering food from her chopsticks and expecting you eat from it. Sometimes with Yujin, time goes fast and slow, she’s a presence that Nako has learned to appreciate. They ate the remaining tteokbokki as they made their way to their destination not minding the snow that started falling on their way there.

They sat at a familiar bench that probably contains lots of history from different people from their apartment. Not long ago they watch a certain couple almost kiss here and the aftermath of having to deal with men-in-black looking bodyguards. 

“What did you buy at the store?” Nako ask looking at the bag the girl is carrying.

“Just some snack.” Yujin inspects her haul looking for something to open.

“You really eat a lot.”

“Ofcourse, I’m growing, need lots of food.”

“Is that why, you’re that tall.” Nako knowingly look at the younger girl, she leans on the bench and prop her elbow at the backrest, sitting like she own it.

 “I want to say something ‘bout you being short but I’m holding it to myself today.” Yujin smirked.

“Yah- Yujinie.” Nako glared and hits her shoulder. This made the younger girl smile.

“Now why are you crying? Don’t try changing the topic.” Yujin shifted her position to observe Nako’s face.

“Its nothing…” Nako sighed and pursed her lips knowing full well that it’s not a very convincing.

“I don’t believe you.” Yujin scoffed, “You’re strong, level headed and usually in control. There are very few things that will make you cry – let alone things that will make you cry in public.” Yujin lean on the back rest of the bench drinking a bottled tea beverage which is one of the things she bought.

“Is that how you see it?” Nako raise her eyebrow and observe the younger girl.

“Yes”, Yujin smirk and poke Nako with the bottle she holding.

Nako sighed and took the bottle being offered to her. It’s hot and perfect for the night, as much as she questions herself about the logic of being outside late night while it’s snowing and the temperature is at -1c, her mind is somewhere else. Replaying the image she saw that afternoon, the person she has a crush on holding the hand of her ex with gentle caring smile on their faces.

Yujin is not comfortable on how reluctant the older girl is, is not that she is curious about it, she just want her unnie to lean on her and trust her as someone who can be a support. “Won’t you tell me? Is that because I’m young? Can’t I use my privilege as member of the falling for brick wall club?” She said using her best whiny puppy impersonation.

“eyy..” Nako once again lightly punches Yujin’s shoulder, she laughs at her antics and at the mention of their unofficial club.

“Yeah, I guess.” Nako opened the bottle and drink from it, she took a deep breath trying to find the words to start her story. On this snowy night she might as well spill the bean.

Yujin likes what she heard; she decided to open one of the bags of potato chips. Eating potato chips outside while snowing she hopes for whatever reason that it will help, offering the content of the said bag to the girl beside her.

Nako took some and started munching before starting, there is comfort in food after all, something they agree with their Hyewon unnie.

“It’s… I don’t know. Just something I did not know will hurt that much.”  Nako said picking some more chips from the bag hoping that her voice is not betraying her rather calm façade.  

“Hmmm. Is this something to do with Eunbi-unnie?”

Nako nods at the suggestion as she watches Yujin took a handful of chips – this made her smile and comfortable enough to continue. “It hurts, I thought it won’t. That I could just go by and time will make it disappear. It’s not. I thought I was strong, I guess I’m wrong.”

Nako leaned to the taller girl shoulder who scooted closer to her. Yujin reach out to her hand, holding them to say Go-on, I’m all ears.

Moment’s where silence, sighs, the crunching sound of chips, the cold winds are the sort of music you hear are the moment that makes it like you can cry your hearts out with no shame.   

“You know how... I got rejected before I could properly confess and confess when I know I’ll get rejected. I know I have no chance and I’m fine with just having my feelings known.” She looks up and sighed trying to get some courage to continue, “I did not cry back then, I went on but I saw her today with her…”

She pursed her lips and tried to will the tears back. She even wish that Yujin would do something funny so that those tears will go back but no the younger choose to be quite and listen to her attentively, giving her enough space to cry.

“Her?”

“Her Ex… Sian, funny thing I know she still love her and she tried to forget about her but she can’t. I know all of those yet I’ve fallen for her. ” Nako sighed, letting her breath be mist in the air, she once again seek comfort at younger girl’s shoulder.

 “Oh is that Sian someone real tall like this tall.” At the mention of the name, Yujin suddenly remember something, someone currently at their apartment building.

“hahha yeah as tall as you, I think, or maybe taller.” Nako laughs though tears are still flowing down her cheeks because it’s painful and she still could not understand why.

Yujin doesn’t like seeing her sad, there is this protectiveness that she feels whenever the older is around. That is even though she knows perfectly well that the older packs a punch despite that petite body. See, Yujin is used to the snarky, to the point but equally caring unnie that seeing the same person vulnerable is a different matter. 

She wants her snarky unnie back but more importantly she wants her smiling again, the only thing she know that can do that is to crack a joke.

“oh so Eunbie-unnie likes tall people.”

“Yeah maybe, guess I’m not that and I’m younger so I’m treated like a baby.” Nako chuckled.

“You’ll get someone too, someone who’ll see how much value you pack in that small body.”
Yujin confidently declared, poking fun at well the older’s height. Nako cackled and let the teasing pass. How could not she, when her companion is grinning with her deep dimple visible, dimples that Nako could not help but poke. It started a back and forth poking, both not minding the coldness, the snow and the -1 c temperature.

When the laughter died down, Yujin somehow feels its fine to open up as well, just making it an equal deal for the sake of their club name.

“You know.. uhm.. I want to ask…”

“Okay shoot.”

“I wanna say at least you manage to confess. I don’t even have courage nor did I get the chance.” Yujin tried to say with a force smile on her lips.

“Ah there’s that.” Nako replied; she’s back to her calmer self, downing in some more of the chips all while watching the snow fall.

“Would it change things?” The younger inquired, taking out a handful of chips from the bag.

Nako quietly giggled, if they are old enough they probably be downing some alcohol – they be drunk while they spill the contents of their hearts but no they still both are underage. So its potato chips and hot bottled tea on a cold day that accompanies them as they share the story of their broken heart.

“I don’t know as much as it hurts right now, knowing that she knew and being told that I don’t have a chance made it easier to face it. It still hurts though, freakin hurts.” Nako pointed to her chest, to the place where her heart is.

“Love hurts.” Yujin muttered.

Nako hummed, “Your first love is rather tragic.” She commented.

This made both of them chuckle. Yujin first love is a combination of realizing it late and being seen as nothing other than a younger sister, something that as fifteen years old learning about things make such a confusing experience. Somewhere she naively believe first love will be sunshine, rainbows, or at least something happy not like this where she has love someone but that love was never return.

But that’s what her young heart learn, falling for someone does not mean they will fall for you back nor it means they are obligated to do so. Watching her Minjoo-unnie smile, holding hands with another person makes her heart ache, makes her annoyed at same time those smile that she wishes are for her makes her smile too. Still she wishes those are for her but they are not, so in the same breath she hates it when the same unnie is upset about something in her relationship.

“I’m watching over them lately and… I don’t know. I don’t like how they are interacting. Hitomi-unnie is... I don’t like how she treats Minjoo unie… Because if it’s me.” Because if it’s hers.

“If its you?”                                                                                                                    

“I’ll make her my princess.” Yujin smiled at that thought, a naïve thought of a fifteen year old.

“That’s nice to hear, but I don’t know how well that would work and I think they just have some misunderstanding, those are normal.”

“Still.”

“Hii… She’s not the kind that is upfront with her struggles, I kinda know where it’s coming from.” Nako sincerely look at her companion. “Yujin. People have things other than love in their life that they struggle with. Hii-chan like me has her dream and both of us has short time on getting to our next step, I guess I can say that I’m on that step. Hii on the other hand is still looking for it. So I understand her.” Nako pursed her lips.

Hitomi has quickly become her bestfriend and just like they promised back in Japan in a toast made out of crepe that together they would pursue their dream and Nako once again left strawberry behind. She opened the bottle of tea and drank its remaining content. She has no dog in this anymore both girls are important to her, and both deserve their chances – but she thinks it is for the good to tell the younger the thoughts of her competition. She can do whatever she wants with that information.

“I understand where it is coming from and I wish I could be of help to her. I know part of why she is acting this way is that Hii is scared, you know what she is scared about? She scared that if she can’t continue her dream she will need to leave her. Believe me the last thing she wants to do is hurt Minjoo.”

“And yet she is hurting her.”

“Yes and that makes it quite complicated.”

Yujin sighed she believe she can be a better girlfriend to the older girl but she was late and she was not the one chosen. Nako gently squeeze her hand.

“Would…” she pursed her lips, “if I confess would you be angry? I know it’s a long shot but I want to and I’m taking all the chance I can. Maybe if I said it, I can finally move on.”  

Nako understands too where she is coming from, the younger is taking that small chance that the misunderstanding between Minjoo and Hitomi will lead to their break-up. Nako does not feel the need to prevent her, Yujin just like her needs her closure.

“I won’t but are you sure? It might hurt you a lot.”

“I have made up my mind, you’re my inspiration.” The younger chuckled, “if my heart broke because I did, would you be there for me.”

“I would, just like how you are here with me today.” Nako held her hands to assure her that in the future if she needs her, she will be there.    

Yujin engulf the smaller girl to a warm embrace. “Unnie, thank you.”

It was the warmth Nako needed on that cold night. She still not over how much pain she felt today, nor she understand why but having a reliable shoulder, a comforting presence, like that of Yujin, to lean on is a blessing.

“Yujinie, it will hurt, you know. Rejection hurts. It hurts that even with how much you like someone they can’t return it, that hurts. Knowing they love someone else hurts. Seeing them with that person hurts, will you be ok? because truthfully I’m not.” Nako sobbed, letting out all the tears that are left of her, partly because she is hurt today, partly she is hurting for someone else.  

The younger cradled her, putting her chin atop of her head – knowing those cries are because the older is still hurting. She hates the fact that she can’t fully erase that pain and all that se can offer are her arms; arms that she hopes are enough to protect her. 

Nako is like a tiny bird to Yujin, free willing yet you have the urge of wanting to take care of it at same time not wanting to imprison it.  She hates that she is crying, like an injured bird not being able to fly and the fact she can’t do anything other than let her cry. Is it fine? Something like being a shoulder to cry on, is that fine?  Why for some reason she want to protect and take care of her? Nako for some reason has become special to her.

Yujin closes her eyes, she tighten her hug, and give the older a gentle kiss to the temple. Kiss like those are symbol of affection. She cups her face, and wipes those flowing tears with her thumb, she can’t do anything other than watch them flow. What a fifteen year old to do other than a hug and lend a handkerchief.

Nako laughs at her attempt; she took her handkerchief to wipe her own tears. “I’m such a mess.”

This made Yujin smile, that kind of self deprecating honestly is something she like about the older. Yujin want to in return, but her phone buzz. She took it out to see messages from their apartment manager inquiring her of her where-about. She quickly message her back saying she saw Nako on her way back and they be back as soon as possible.

The younger frantic expression while explaining made Nako laughs, its not like those will be heard or seen as the girl just frantically type. 

“Unnie, we should go back now.” Yujin stand with a gloom expression on her face, offering her hand to her.

This amuses Nako, in between how much she cried and how amusing Yujin scared face is, the day has been a roller coaster for her heart.  

She took her hand and the younger wipe the trails of tears of her cheeks and fixes the stray hairs of her face. For someone younger, energetic and seem to be in need of a lot of attention, Yujin is surprisingly caring. Yujin is a very comforting presence to her.

“Eunbi-unnie will be angry at us.” Nako laughs, while still sniffling.

Yujin pokes her cheeks, “I’m doomed but you’re doomed with me.” She said before letting out a cackle that is heard through the park in the dark of night, the glowing falling snow and the shivering cold breeze. Even with the silliness of her action she looks cool and beautiful, Nako giggled.  

They arrived at the apartment building few minutes pass 11, forgetting that they still are holding hands. It was comforting for both of them. Just like how they expected, Yujin got some lecture from their apartment manager after she did not comeback immediately from her convenience store trip. You see in a way Eunbi acts partly as her guardian on behalf of the trust the younger girl’s parent bestowed on her grandma and to her.

It did not escape Eunbi’s eye, regarding the state of Nako or the fact that she looks like she cried. It didn’t escape the two girls’ as well the presence of their tall beautiful guest who is helping in the kitchen.

Yujin is the one who reasoned for Nako, explaining that Nako has stressful training day and proudly declared that she help her cheer up.

“Cheer up!? All you did is eat and tease me and you even trick me to treat you to some tteokbokki. What are you sayin?” Nako said in a fake annoyed tone.

“Why I made you laugh.” The younger cackled.

Even if Eunbi is not convince with that reason she let the two to go back to their room, reminding them that it’s dangerous outside at those hours.

Nako opened the door of her apartment, not seeing that the puppy held the door ajar fully meaning to prank her.

Nako look around their apartment and saw the door to her roommate’s bedroom open she peaked over and see her roommate peacefully cuddling her girlfriend. This made her smile but Yujin abruptly enter. This made her panic so she immediately pushes the giant puppy out of the door. She did that because somehow deep inside she do want Yujin to confess and she thinks seeing her roommate seemingly patch it out with her girlfriend might discourage the girl.

The two has woken up due to the commotion and after some short exchanges and Hitomi noticing her eyes; she quickly excuses herself and retreated to her bedroom.

Finally having the comfort and quite of her own bed, she looks back to her day and her eyes landed to her hand that Yujin held. She wonders what that lingering feeling is all about.

She change out of her clothe and went to Yujin’s room that is besides theirs to fulfill her promise to her and to their Yena-unnie that she will help the girl with her homework.

Yujin gave her a big hug, all happy and just like a big puppy it’s a comforting hug. It’s a hug that Yujin is giving her because she wants her to be happy. Somewhere Nako’s rank in Yujin’s important person list has risen.

“Unnie – I love you.” The girl giggled after they finished her assignments.

“Don’t say that so easily and say that to the one you want to say it. Say it to Minjoo.” Nako pats the younger girl’s head.    

Yujin chuckled and tilt head to think of words to say. Today she for sure had think of this unnie in different way. Nako is someone she can consider special to her, to what level, she is not sure. She’s not sure of the label to put on it.

“But I like you hmm.” She muttered, as she crawled to her unnie and lays her head to the smaller girl’s lap. Nako is special to her that is all she thinks about, life of a fifteen year old should not be complicated.

“Like as in like me as a friend? Chingu – so want me to be your same age friend?” Nako clarified, as she gently brushes the younger girl’s hair. She uses the word Korean uses to indicate friendship that has no age or superiority hierarchy.  

“No not that.” Yujin brushed, abit annoyed not at Nako but at herself. Nako is not chingu, chingu is like Yena and Hyewon to her, Nako on the other hand is still her unnie just a bit different she can’t pin it even if she rack and try to ask all the dying braincells in her head.     

“Your still Unnie, Chingu is different. You’re an unnie I want to take care and protect.” Yujin said with all honesty.  

“Hmmm.”  Nako hums as she closes her eyes drifting off to sleep.

They probably gonna regret that when their back aches  tomorrow, but the couch, the time and comfortable presence is so inviting that they just both ended up drifting off to dream land. 

 


 

28.2.6

The Clouds Over

[Wonyoung & Chaeyeon]

All Wonyoung wanted to do is head straight to her room and seek the comfort of her bed. For her, it is a day where hardly anything went right. A day when she just want to lock herself in her room, cry it out and sleep hoping that when she woke its going to be sunshine and rainbows.

Since the door opened, everything is a fuzz; she couldn’t even remember if she greeted their manager or said something to her guardian. All that she is seeing now are stairs, stairs that seem so endless – even with how large of a step her long legs takes.

Where she at right now? 2nd floor – it’s dizzying, her eyes are cloudy, and her shoulders are heavy. A soft comfortable place would be nice at this moment.

She saw a tall figure standing pouting at the room near the stairs of the second floor. She recognizes her but she neither has time nor energy to greet her.  She ignores her and continues what seemingly a long trek to the third floor, obviously the other saw her and like what is customary greeted her.

“-Yo, wonyo!” The tall has a smile plastered on her face. As much as she wanted to return it she just not in the mood, it’s gonna be rude to the older but she hope she understands.  

“Hi…B-bye.”  She quickly bowed to her and turns around, shocking the other girl.

“What’s happening!?” The tall girl shouts after her.

Everyone knew her as the perky, kinda elegant, cute, polite kid with a bit of sassy streak. Today though she just want to lock herself in her room, not talk to anyone and just cry. Reason uncertain, but that’s something she’s trying to understand.   

“Wonyo-ah Haeun….” She heard the tall girl trying to relay a message she received from a friend but noise, voices are things that irritates her right now. She wants a quite place.

“Yujin!” She heard the huffing voice of her guardian who is running after her. It’s faint – she quickens her steps to reach her room before Chaeyeon could. She could hear her explain things to the tall girl but it was barely audible to her.

She entered the code to their apartment door and head straight to her room, throwing her bag and phone to side and just burying her head into the pillow. It was one of those days when things are heavy and the day is crappy and you just want to cry. That’s all she think it is.

She has forgotten that she left the door of her bedroom open, not that she cares about it right now. The bed is the comfort she seeks. Hugging the bunny plushy and pressing the heart button to play the voice recording that has been since a source of comfort to her.

She heard Chaeyeon entering their apartment, she expects her to head to her any moment and demand explanation to her actions. She further buried her head in her pillow groaning all she wants right now is to be left alone.  

She heaves a sigh of relief her guardian, Chaeyeon, seemingly head out somewhere else. She heard sounds of kitchen utensils, of the thermos and of hot water pouring. She’s puzzled but too tired to care, tonight it’s more of whatever. She just feels like brooding, quietly sobbing to her pillow thinking about her day.  

Chaeyeon gently stirred the glass of milk she made. She peak once to the younger girl open room, and could not help but giggle at seeing her feet dangling on the edge of the bed. Chaeyeon knows though that it is a sensitive time for the younger girl. Many people goes to this stages, teenagers do and even those who are older have days where they just want the comfort of their bed and cry the hell out of the day. She herself has gone through it.

Chaeyeon gently places the glass of milk on the girl’s side table. She sat on the side of bed carefully as to not disturb the younger. She brushes the younger girl’s hair and hummed a lullaby. Days of going through the same thing made her apply things she wishes the adults in her life do. The things her friends, Yena and Hyewon did, those two listen well. That’s what she is here for, not to nag but to listen.

She is not here as a friend nor as a parent but as a reliable older sister offering her shoulder to lean on.

“Wonyo–ah” She cooed.

The younger girl hummed in return.

“You can confide to me Wonyo-ah.”

The younger girl lifted her head and notices the glass of milk, she frowned at the fact she is being treated as a baby once again.

“I’m not a baby.” She groaned and buried her head back to her pillow.

This statement though made Chaeyeon laugh, that laugh that’s really infectious but sometimes kinda make you go ask, What is wrong with her?

The giant baby threw her bunny plushy to the older, which the older amusingly caught.

“Hahaha isn’t this one Yujin gave you.” The older girl giggles and played with the bunny’s arm making it punch the air.

Wonyoung pout, and sit up with her back on the headrest hugging her knees. This was all too adorable to Chaeyeon. She reaches out to the younger to pat her head but it was swipe away by the giant baby. Even though she is hurt by the action she is equally puzzled and amused by it.  

Wonyoung on the other hand is horrified of her action, she hug her knees further and look away from the older, apologetic about the way she acted. Chaeyeon, have more patience in her bone that she could have imagine, dealing with her younger sister, herself, her friends have made her see ways people can act in this situation. She has her own shortcoming but she is willing to be patient with Wonyoung, the girl has just something going on and when you are at that age some problem seems huge.

She reaches out to the younger hands, pried them away from her knees and gently holds them, giving her space to be comfortable enough to confide.

“Unnie~~” The younger muttered, “Unnie… I miss mom.”

Chayeon smiled, “I miss my mom too.”

“I want to see her, but if I go see her in Taiwan I’m afraid I don’t have enough will to comeback.”

Chaeyeon squeezes the younger girl’s hand trying to rack her brain for words to say. She is a case study of going for it and leaving your family, the parallel between her and younger is there.

“I don’t know what I’m doing.” The younger confesses.

Chaeyeon had been there too, not knowing if what she is doing is the right thing, if blindly pursuing a dream she doesn’t even know if she can reach is the right thing to do. She hummed and asks the younger sincerely, “Do you still want to be an idol?”

Wonyoung tilted her head furrowed her brow and think about the question for a moment. “But I don’t think I fit in.”

Chaeyeon laughs; it’s not that she’s mocking the kid. The kid said it in such honesty that Chaeyeon could not help but giggle. She looks at the kid deep in her eyes, “You’re one of the most idol like girl I’ve ever seen.”

Wonyoung glared to her. The older could not help but think the younger is absolutely adorable that a wide grin has spread on her face. “Allright what’s it? Why do you think so?”

“Yuri-unnie, Yunjin-unnie they are really good at singing, Doah-unnie is killing it as our rapper. Then here I can’t even fulfill being the dancer.” the younger pouts.  

“Do you need to?”

“But that’s the only role left. I search about it. I don’t know how to do choreography like you or Haeun. They assigned me to do the blocking and I did not do it properly and we all got scolded.” Wonyoung is struggling to finish her words; tears are starting to well up on her eyes.

Chaeyeon hugs her and cradle her, “Wonyo-ah but you’re an all rounder and your charm is your greatest strength, few have that gift. You make people look at you and you’re not a bad dancer. Choreographing is just a different thing. You can always ask your co-trainees, me or even Haeun, if you are having hard time.”  

 “I ask Haeun earlier this week b—but…” Wonyoung pulled away and look down. 

“But?”

“I snapped at her and we have not talked ever since.” The younger shyly admitted.

“The two of you are fighting?” Chaeyeon took her hand gently massages it.

“She can’t understand me unnie. I don’t have the same dancing skills as her, I’m just frustrated I don’t mean to shout at her and…” Wonyoung pursed her lips, tears once again knocking to fall down she wipe them with her free hand.

“Do you miss Haeun-ah?”

“Am not use not talking to her but I just ignore her today when she tried to.”

“Why?”

“I can’t… I’m not the only one at fault. I don’t know.”  

“Wonyo ah sometimes we need to set our pride aside if we don’t want to lose a friend, and seems like Yujin has message for you from Haeun. Why don’t you try talk he? Message her?”

Chaeyeon tap the girls knees, to be fair to the younger that lesson is something she just learned recently aswell – when she finally reconnected to her cousin, Kaeun. It’s something people have hard time learning, admitting your own fault and setting your pride aside to finally talk and settle things out.

“She might be sleeping now.” The younger sighed.

“Then talk to her as soon as you can.”  Chaeyeon pokes the younger girl’s cheeks.

“Would she want to talk to me?” Wonyoung look back to her with hopeful eyes.

“I think she would if you give her a chance” Chaeyeon ruffled her hair, “and look, listen to this.” She then playfully waves the bunny plushy and pressed the heart its holding.

                [To the aspiring Idol Wonyoungie, may you reach your dream.]

Wonyoung chuckled – listening to Yujin’s birthday message to her. That bunny is one source of strength and one of the things that help her to continue pursue her dream.

“That kid doesn’t know what her effect to those around her is, right?” Chaeyeon laugh teasingly.

“Ahh Unnie-gah!!!”

“The puppy that gave you this is charming, isn’t she.” Chaeyeon grinned – looking at the bunny plushy.

 “She is, but she’s blind and stupid.” Wonyoung puffed her cheeks.

Her reaction made Chaeyeon burst out laughing and rolling in her bed. The kind of laugh that makes those around her think she’s possessed with some sort of demon and to Wonyoung her unnie right now might as well be possessed by some sort of demon.

“But you like her.” The older grinned, once she recovers from her laughing fits.

“No.” Wonyoung declared. It’s not the kind of No that you know the person is just denying for the sake of denying it’s the kind of no that is really a no.  

Chaeyeon has curiously raises her eyebrow, for as long as she observes the younger has a growing crush to their resident pup.

“I might admire her but I think I like someone else.” The giant baby shyly buried her head to her knees hiding the creeping blush on her face.

“Who?” Chaeyeon curiously asks. A glint is visible in her eyes.

The younger still continue to hide her face on her knees, until her phone that is beside her lit up. Chaeyeon grinned when she saw the lockscreen and the smile that lit up on Wonyoung’s face. She then laughs again when she figures it out.

How can’t she when the lockscreen, Wonyoungs reaction and the caller name screams about it.  

“Unniee!!!”

“Answer it quick.” The older ordered while trying to hold her laughter, the younger glared to her.

She saw the color coming back to the younger girl’s face as she talks to her bestfriend on the other line. Chaeyeon giggled, she decided to exit the room and prepare some snacks. It maybe late at night, and the kid might have evaluation tomorrow but snacks after a bad day is always welcome.   

She comeback to a smiling Wonyoung who just ended up the call. She wants to but she hold on. The kid might still be trying to understand what a crush is, what liking someone is, what love is, to all those she will be there watching her grow.

“Wanna eat some late night ramyeon?” She offered. The younger girl gets up and followed her to the couch and there they start eating the spicy ramyeon.

Chaeyeon sighed, she probably have too much ramyeon today – but it such a comfort food though. “Tiring day right?”

The younger girl nodded.

“I’m happy your smile is back.”

The younger hummed, listening intently to the older, while she slurps her ramyeon quietly.

“Wonyoung-ah sometimes we just have those days you know? There are times pursuing our dream is tiring.”  Chayeon looks back to her own struggle and the struggles she is facing. She too feels these things. “You know days when you just want to give up. Its ok, it’s ok not to be fine. We are not all smile, sometimes there is just cloud over our head and that’s ok. Your dream might require you to smile as much but when you feel down don’t be afraid to frown and let your tears flow. I’ll be here on those days.”

She reach out to the younger girls hand the younger lend her hand to her. Between them they form a quite pinky promise.

There are things that are same about her and the younger there are also things that are different. Wonyoung is a growing child navigating the a cut throat industry almost on her own –but Chaeyeon, Kaeun, Sakura and maybe even Hyewon wont let her be alone in that path. They won’t let them, these kids dreaming of the future, they won’t be alone. The same way she is not alone in her path anymore.

 


 

Notes:

  • End of the extra chapter - that was quite long as well but i did like that i went through and wrote this extras. 
  • In this extras, i brought in Sian - update on Yena's state, a look at Wonyoung and Yuri's training day a dive to Nako's, Chaeyeon and Wonyoung's psyche.
  • Ch 29. Is Wonyoungs somewhere set one month to where this is set [somewhere christmas]
  • Today we had Nakjin Vlive lol perfect also today i got ask on my CC that has a question that is asking something similar to Wonyoung in this story.
  • Team Falling for brickwalls - it will still be long for you kids, babies - you all babies to me O_O.
  • Both of this is about comforting someone who is down and its probably one of the awkardess thing some of us go, wanting to help but not knowing what to do. Yujin is trying her best - we learn, Chaeyeon have a bit more experience.
  • Lets see if Yujin can finally confess - and what's gonna happen to them.
  • The dream is on.
  • Hardest part of this is extras is matching the time.
  • For a timeline the start time of each is 3:30 CYSK -> 4:00 HWCW -> 6:00am HTMJ -> 3:00pm YRYN -> 3:30pm EBSN -> 10:30pm NKYJ -> 11:00+ pm WY
  • Did you take note who get to see the snow together?

You can reach me out on my twitter - its also a fanart and general fangirling account - @kaichimoo I also have curious cat.

Do tell me your opinion of this extras. ^-^ did you enjoy them , whose extra story is your fave? why? lol :3 i just want to read your comments