Chapter 9

I'm my Father's Son

'Jeongin! Your face! What happened?' Woojin asked him worriedly.

Woojin returned from his urgent surgery after Chan had already left for University. Jeongin yawned and opened his eyes, focusing them on Woojin.

'Are you alright? Did Chan do that to you?!'

'Uh..no. Abeoji! Why didn't you keep your promise?! You said you would talk to Appa and that he wouldn't be mad at me! He slapped me! For the first time in thirteen years my Appa was so mad at me that he slapped me! He thought I snook out behind his back! I trusted you Abeoji!' Tears fell from Jeongin's eyes.

'I'm so sorry Jeongin, I got a call from the hospital as soon as I was about to tell him, and.. oh my god this is all my fault!' Woojin lowered his head and dragged himself out of Jeongin's room.

'Abeoji, why did you make me do that? Why did you let me do something against Appa's wishes?' But Woojin didn't hear him.

Jeongin spent the rest of Saturday  morning playing games on his phone to distract himself. He had so many questions in his head but he didn't want to think about them. He just wanted to spend some time with Hyunjin. He didn't expect that Woojin would lie to him, or that Hyunjin's friends would bully him for reasons he didn't understand. Or that his kind, sweet Appa would slap his son's face that he adored so much. It was all too much to get his head around, so he tried to avoid it.

As he was playing, he got a call from Hyunjin.

'Hello, Jeonginnie! Are you feeling better?'

'Yeah, I guess. Still kinda hurts though. There are so many things happening at once and I don't feel like talking right now. I'm just really disappointed in my Abeoji.'

'Okay, maybe we can talk things out later?'

'Sure.' Jeongin put in his earphones and kept playing.

 

Chan returned in the afternoon and found Woojin in the living room. He charged towards him.

'DOES YOUR IGNORANT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SON?!'

'I thought you were the one who did that to him.'

'YOU IDIOT! A BUNCH OF KIDS BULLIED HIM YESTERDAY AND YOU WERE THE ONE WHO TOOK HIM STRAIGHT TO THEM! NOT ONLY DID YOU TEACH HIM TO DISOBEY ME, BUT YOU ALSO PUT HIM IN DANGER?! WHAT KIND OF FATHER ARE YOU?!'

'I just wanted him to be happy..'

'HE'S HAPPY ENOUGH WITH ME! HIS DAD! STOP INTERFERING WITH HIS LIFE AND HE WILL BE HAPPY! BECAUSE OF YOUR SELFISHNESS OF WANTING TO BE WITH HIM AND LETTING US LIVE HERE, PEOPLE STARTED RUMORS ABOUT US! DOES THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY?! DOES THAT MAKE JEONGIN HAPPY?!'

'Chan he's my son. I wanted to cheer him up because you upset him. How could I know this would happen?!'

'JUST SHUT UP! SHUT UP BEFORE I HURT YOU! HE IS NOT YOUR SON! JEONGIN IS NOT YOURS!'

'You don't decide that, you just don't want him to like m-'

BASH!

Woojin tasted blood in his mouth as a bruise appeared on the side of his jaw. If Woojin hated anything more than deception, it was violence. His loathe for violence prevented him from getting back at Chan. He kept hitting him more and more and more. Woojin thought about what Chan told him. He is probably right. He deserved this. He stopped trying to defend himself and completely surrendered to the pain.

Jeongin crept downstairs to see what the commotion was about. He saw the fury in Chan's eyes. The despair in Woojin's eyes. Only triggered fear in Jeongin's eyes. Chan didn't see Jeongin, but Woojin did. He tried to tell him something but a kick in his stomach beat him to it.

Jeongin ran out the front door. He kept on running with no destination. His vision was obscured by overflowing tears. He couldn't see the truck that was about to hit him as he started crossing the road. Jeongin was busy squeezing his eyes like a sponge. The truck driver pressed the brakes but it wasn't soon enough.

The truck wouldn't stop in time.

 

Jeongin felt two strong hands gripped his shoulders and pulled him to the side of the road.

'Watch where you're going, Jeonginnie! Don't scare me like that!'

Jeongin broke down sobbing in Hyunjin's lap.