Chapter 4

I'm my Father's Son

Chan weakly opened his eyes and blinked a few times. It took him a moment to realize that he was in a hospital bed. He quickly sat up and his whole body ached. He scanned his surroundings, searching for Jeongin. He didn't find him. He started to panic. He got out of the bed and attempted to go look for him when a nurse grabbed him.

'I'm sorry we couldn't take your consent, it was an emergency.' The nurse apologized.

'Wha-' Chan started. 'What are you talking about? WHERE IS MY SON?!' Chan raised his voice.

'He needed to get surgery immediately. A broken rib had punctured his lung.'

Chan felt dizzy and his vision started to blur at hearing this. 'Where is he now?!' Exclaimed Chan.

'The surgery should be finished by now. He's probably in the ICU.'

As soon as the nurse finished her sentence Chan had already run off.

'JEONGIN! SON! BANG JEONGIN!' Chan called, running at full speed towards the ICU. He barged in, panting. Jeongin was nowhere to be found. Seeing that Chan was a mess, sweating and panting and covered in plasters and bandages, the head of ICU department Choi Yuna calmly approached him.

'Jeongin' Chan said weakly.

'His surgery was successful. He is supposed to be here in a few minutes. Are you his guardian?'

'Yes. I am his father'

'I see' said Yuna, smiling weakly.

Chan was slightly relieved but still worried. Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye he saw a familiar face.

'YOU!'

Chan walked towards the unconscious man in the ICU bed next to the one with Jeongin's name on it. He grabbed him by the collar of his hospital gown.

'YOU ING BASTARD ALMOST KILLED MY SON! BECAUSE OF YOUR DRUNK HEADASS MY INNOCENT SON HAS TO PAY THE PRICE!' He yelled raising a fist to punch the already unconscious man, the edges of his vision going dark out of rage.

At that moment Dr. Kim Seungmin arrived, pushing Jeongin on a gurney. He ran to pull Chan away from the patient, and tried to calm him down. As soon as Chan saw Jeongin, alive and breathing, he felt a burden fall off of his chest. That wasn't the only thing that fell. Chan himself fell to his knees and started weeping.

Dr. Seungmin checked on the patient. 'But why was he attacking Woojin Gyosunim?' Asked Seungmin.

'I think I know what this is about' said Yuna. 'Take a look at their test results.'

'What? I don't get it.'

'Chan is not Jeongin's real father.'

'I know that. I adopted him.' Chan interrupted.

Yuna looked at him. 'On the other hand, Woojin Gyosunim is.'

'WHAT??!' said Chan and Seungmin simultaneously.

'That's impossible.' Said Seungmin.

Woojin had regained his consciousness. He heard everything but was still too weak to move. Or even open his eyes. Sojung was telling the truth.

 

'Woojin, its not what you think!'

'DON'T TELL ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT I THINK! I SAW WITH MY OWN TWO EYES! YOU WERE MAKING OUT WITH THAT EUNHA!'

'She was drunk and messing around, it was nothing so just forget about it, okay?'

'Nothing? Is my unrivaled loyalty to you nothing? It doesn't mean anything to you at all?!'

'Woojin please, don't make such a big deal out of it. Let's just focus on our wedding plans.'

'Wedding?! You think I can still be engaged to someone like you? You think I would marry a cheater? After I devoted my everything to you, this is what you do? And you don't expect me to break off our engagement?'

'Woojin what are you saying?'

'Wedding my , go marry Eunha instead.'

Sojung's eyes widened in disbelief. 'Woojin you can't do this to me! I'm pregnant!'

'From Eunha?  Or from someone else?'

'Woojin you aren't making any sense! I didn't cheat on you, I am pregnant with your child, and you suddenly don't want us to get married? Woojin please calm down and rethink this!'

'You think I would believe you? You think I would trust you ever again? I thought I had the best fiancee in the world. I was wrong.'

'Woojin please, I didn't cheat on you, please just listen to me!' Sojung cried.

'Get out. I don't want to see you anymore.'

 

A tear ran down each of Woojin's cheeks. Jeongin really was his son. It was his fault he grew up an orphan, and it was his fault he got injured in the accident. Woojin's guilt delayed his recovery.