Chapter 14

I'm my Father's Son

'Changbin-ah, time for bed!' Woojin said in a singsong voice, entering the playroom.

'Aaw, Gyosunim, five more minutes?' Changbin whined.

'Yeah Abeoji, five more minutes please?' Felix chimed in.

'Okay, five more minutes.' Woojin gave in.

Changbin was staying overnight at Woojin's house, at Seungmin's request. A few hours ago Seungmin had brought Changbin over with a bandage on his right eyebrow and left in a hurry.

 

Seungmin was used to his wife Jimin's bad temper, but this time it wasn't just a tantrum she was throwing. Seungmin entered his room to find it messy with broken furniture, wood and glass scattered on the floor. He saw Jimin yelling and throwing a Day6 CD case at Changbin. Changbin was crying and his right eye was covered in blood. Seungmin picked him up in his arms and carried him out of the room and locked the door behind him. Jimin was still screaming inside and banging the door while Seungmin rinsed off his son's face. He was relieved to see that his eye was unharmed. He sterilized the wound and put a bandage on it, with Changbin still crying.

'Abeoji, what happened to Eomoni? What is wrong with her?'

'Eomoni is sick. I'll tell you about it later. How about a sleepover with Felix-ah? Will that make you feel better?'

Changbin slowly nodded, sniffling.

 

When Seungmin returned from Woojin's house he unlocked the door that had furniture being thrown at earlier. It was quiet now. Jimin had fallen asleep. He gazed at his poor wife who had been suffering from a psychotic disorder for years. So far the medication she was taking had been very effective, but it seems like it didn't work anymore. Seungmin figured the psychotic episode she just had must have worn her out, so she wouldn't wake up soon. He carefully carried her to the car and drove her to the hospital.

 

Jeongin woke up at the sound of crying coming from the room next to his own. It was still dark. He put on his slippers and walked to Changbin's room.

'It's ok, don't cry. It was just a bad dream.'

He climbed into the bed and cuddled next to Changbin. Changbin wrapped his arms around Jeongin. He hoped from the bottom of his heart that his brother Felix wouldn't see them like this. Unfortunate for him, he did.

'Innie, why are you sleeping with Binnie?! You don't let me sleep in your bed! I'm your brother!'

Jeongin got up and rubbed his eyes. He ignored Felix and looked out the window. 'Felix! It's snowing outside!'

'Really? Let me see!'

Jeongin lifted Felix up a bit to show him the snow.

'Wow.. everything is white! This is so cool!'

Changbin woke up from the noise and yawned.

'Binnie, Binnie! It's snowing outside! Let's go play in it!' Felix shouted excitedly as he pulled on Changbin's hand.

'I don't want to play.' Changbin said sadly as he pushed away the covers and walked out of the room.

'Innie, it's just you and me. All this snow for us to pl- hey!'

Jeongin had already followed Changbin out of the room.

 

Woojin called Seungmin while making breakfast to ask him when he would come to pick up Changbin, and he told him that he was stuck at the hospital because of the snow. There was a little shakiness in Seungmin's voice.

Having to take his beloved wife to the psychiatry ward broke his heart into pieces. He pleaded the doctor to find a way, to use a different medication but it was no use. The doctor said her only hope to make her condition better was to keep her at the hospital.

'My wife is not crazy! She's only sick for heaven's sake! Just treat her as a doctor if that's what you are!' Seungmin pleaded him, tears falling. 'Please! Don't lock her up with some maniacs! She doesn't deserve this..'

'I am sorry sir. I have nothing more to tell you.'

 

Felix finished his breakfast faster than the others after hearing Chan approve of them playing in the backyard. Felix pulled Chan off of his Chair and dragged him upstairs to make him help him put on some warm clothes.

Jeongin saw that Changbin was still sulky so he asked him what's wrong.

'Eomoni was really scary yesterday. Abeoji says she's sick. I'm worried about Eomoni.'

Woojin overheard this. He knew about Jimin's illness because Seungmin told him about it a few years ago. He felt sorry for Changbin and his parents.

'It's okay to worry sometimes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun.' Jeongin comforted him. 'Come on, let's put on our coats. Felix will be happy to play with you! Cheer up!'

He succeeded in putting a smile on Changbin's face.