Chapter 7

I'm my Father's Son

Another short, quiet dinnertime went by peacefully. Woojin was alone in the kitchen doing the dishes when he heard the doorbell ring. He went to answer it.

'Seungmin ah?'

'Ahaha.. annyeonghaseyo, Gyosunim..' Seungmin said awkwardly.

'Don't tell me, Jimin kicked you out of the house again?'

'Don't say it like that, it sounds bad. I needed to get out cause her temper was too much. Changbinnie has been causing a lot of mischief lately.'

They sat on the porch since the night was cool and breezy. 'How are you these days? I mean Chan and Jeongin are quite a handful.'

Woojin sighed. 'Chan still hates my guts, and Jeongin.. I'm not making much progress with him either.'

'Do you plan to get him back? I mean Jeongin is your son after all..'

'I don't.. He's really happy with Chan. No matter how jealous I get I can't bring myself to hate him. I think he's a pretty good dad, I don't think I can be like that to Jeongin. I'm actually kind of fond of him, even though he's mean to me.'

'So you like Chan? Why don't you try getting with him so you can raise Jeongin together?'

'What?! I didn't say anything like that! What are you blabbing about?!'

Seungmin chuckled. 'Don't take it so seriously, I was just messing with you.'

Woojin glared at him.

'Are you really just gonna keep living by yourself? Why don't you find a good wife and start your own family?'

'Seungmin, you know I can't do that when Sojung is still on my mind. If only I hadn't gotten so mad at her that day..' '

Gyosunim. You can't just keep mourning over past. You need to let go. Start a new page.'

Woojin sighed. 'I wish I could..'

'Good chat, sleep well.' Seungmin stretched as he got up.

'You too.'

 

Woojin lay in bed thinking about what Seungmin told him. You need to start a new page. Let go of your past.

The next day Seungmin left first thing in the morning. It was a short, quiet, uneventful day as usual, except for Chan and Woojin nagging at each other occasionally.

'Appa~' Jeongin said in a singsong voice.

'Yes sweetheart?'

'Um.. today is Hyunjin's birthday, and he's having a party at his house tonight. Can I go?'

'What time is it going to be?'

'Ten.'

'No, it's too late. If it was earlier I would have let you.'

'But Appa..'

'Jeongin you know you're not allowed to go anywhere after nine, we talked about this.'

'But his house is very close from here! I won't be long I promise!'

'Jeongin, I said no. You're too young to understand why I worry about you so much, you can't go out partying so late at night and I won't change my mind.'

Jeongin sulkily walked away to his room. Moments later, Woojin returned home. He heard Chan mumbling to himself in the living room. 'Wants to go out partying with his friends at night. He's only thirteen!'

'Why don't you let him? Don't you think you are being too overprotective?' Woojin interrupted.

'What, you're gonna teach me how to parent him now?! Mind your own business.'

Woojin went to Jeongin's room and knocked the door. 'Come in.' said Jeongin, still sulky.

'I heard you wanna go to a party?'

'I can't go. Appa won't let me.'

'But I am also your Abeoji. I'll take you there. I'll talk to Appa.'

'Really?! But won't Appa be mad?'

'He will probably be mad at me, but I'll make sure he doesn't get mad at you.' he said with a wink.

Jeongin smiled widely. 'Thank you Abeoji!'

They snuck out the back door and made their way towards Hyunjin's house. It was only a few blocks away. They were greeted by Hyunjin's mother.

'Annyeonhaseyo, Eomeoni.' Jeongin said politely. She let him in. Woojin bowed slightly and was about to leave when he noticed that the woman's face was familiar.

'Excuse me Maam, but have I seen you before?'

'Uh.. maybe?'

'What is your name?'

'Yerin. Jung Yerin.'

'Aah, you were close with Sojung, weren't you?'

'Yes, I was her friend.'

'How is she now? Do you know where she is?'

'No, I'm afraid not. I haven't contacted her in years.'

'Eomma!'

'Yewon is calling me, I need to go to her.'

Woojin bowed again and left.