Chapter 6

I'm my Father's Son

'Appa..' 

'Jeongin! You're awake!' Chan cuddled him.

'I'm sorry I got mad earlier. I forgive you appa.'

Chan recalled the previous events of that day and pulled away from the hug. 'You don't have to forgive me. It was wrong of me to lie to you.'

'Appa, even if you are not my Appa I will always love you.' Jeongin told him with a teethy smile.

Chan resumed with the hugs and cuddles. 'What did I do to deserve an angel of a son like you?' He whispered into Jeongin's ear.

Meanwhile Woojin who was standing on the other side of the room watched the whole scene unfold without any physical reaction. I'm the one who saved his life but he's the one getting hugs. If only I hadn't gotten mad at Sojung that day, that could have been me. Yet I do not hate that man, however envious of him I may be. He still raised my son well. Probably better than I might have. Maybe he was right. Maybe I don't deserve to be Jeongin's father.

'But can you tell me who is my Abeoji? I'm just curious..'

Chan hesitated. He glanced past Jeongin and he saw that Woojin's eyes were glassy and he looked like he was about to shatter. At least he should know. 'He's standing right there.' He said, nodding towards Woojin.

'Woojin Gyosunim?!'

Woojin nodded, his eyes welling up.

Jeongin smiled at Woojin. 'Mannaseo bangawoyo, Abeoji!'

Streams ran down Woojin's face. Chan gestured to him to move closer. Woojin threw himself at Jeongin and hugged him like his life depended on it.

Seungmin had finished his long surgery and came to check on Jeongin. He saw this view and began to tear up but blinked his tears away. He gestured to Chan who was standing awkwardly beside them to join them so he did. Woojin felt Chan's strong arm against his back, but they were so caught up in the moment that a shiver running down his spine went unnoticed. Seungmin wiped his tears and left the room.

Their Appa-Abeoji-Adeul moment was interrupted by Chan's phone ringing. 27 missed calls from Jisung.

'Hello?'

'WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?! You said you wanted to meet me this afternoon but when you didn't come I decided to drop by and YOUR BUILDING WAS ON FIRE!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I TRIED TO CALL YOU? I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!!'

'Jisung I'm so sorry I worried you. I'm at the hospital now but I'm fine and Jeongin is fine. Again I am so so sorry.'

'Thank goodness for that, but where are you guys gonna live?'

'Can we stay at your place temporarily?'

'Uhh..Lee know's cats don't like strangers..' Jisung mumbled.

'What? Raise your voice I can't hear you, can you have us or not?'

'..No.. my mean hoe won't allow it.'

'Ooh, our Hannie found himself a hoe? Ok have fun then!' Chan whispered.

Jisung hung up. Even in this type of situation Chan would still tease Jisung.

'Appa, is our house destroyed?!' Asked Jeongin with a nervous voice.

Jeongin had been living in that apartment ever since Chan adopted him. They had made all their memories in that fairly small apartment. To be forced to leave it was agonizing for both of them.

'You can stay at my house..' Woojin said suddenly.

Chan stared at him. It's not like he had many choices.

'Don't mind me, I live alone but I spend most of my time here at the hospital, being a cardiothoracic surgeon.'

Chan hesitated. He reeked of smoke and ashes, and he knew he didn't have a place to go. 'Deal. But Jeongin and I get to sleep in the same room, got it?'

 

But Woojin's house wasn't a house. It was a mansion.

'Appa, this place is amazing! Can we live here with Abeoji?'

'No. We will only stay here for a short time while I find us another place to live.' Chan explained, as calmly as he could while gritting his teeth.

He didn't want to be here. He didn't want this whole situation to happen. He had been too busy worrying about Jeongin's health to realize this, but he had lost everything they owned. The financial loss was a little overwhelming, and made it hard for him to find a new house. Suprisingly, Woojin was very welcoming to his guests no matter how coldly Chan treated him. Jeongin, on the other hand, enjoyed the hospitality, and grew closer to Woojin, much to Chan's annoyance.