Chapter 5

I'm my Father's Son

Weeks passed by. Months. Jeongin's condition had improved dramatically thanks to Dr. Seungmin, who performed Jeongin's surgery.

'I couldn't have done it if my Mentor Woojin Gyosunim hadn't taught me all he knows.' Seungmin said humbly.

Chan bowed to Woojin in expression of gratitude. He hated that man. The man who almost killed his own son. Dr. Kim Woojin.

Soon Jeongin was finally healthy enough to go back to school.

'Jeonginnie! I missed you so much! I was devastated when I heard about your accident, I'm so glad you're okay now' Said Jeongin's bestie Hyunjin, who was two years older than him.

Hyunjin cuddled Jeongin and kissed his cheeks repetitively. When he pulled away, he noticed that Hyunjin was crying.

'Why are you crying? You can see that I'm okay now, I'm perfectly healthy.'

'I know. I'm so grateful for that, that's why I'm crying. Tears of joy.'

Jeongin kissed Hyunjin back on his cheek. 'I missed you too' he told him, smiling.

Later that day when Jeongin returned home he didn't find Chan in his usual spot in the kitchen to welcome him. He walked towards his room and was about to enter it when he heard Chan yelling from inside.

'NO! I WON'T ALLOW THAT!'

Jeongin was scared to the point where he just froze. He rarely heard Chan raise his voice like that, and when he did it was really terrifying for Jeongin.

'I'M BEING UNREASONABLE?! JEONGIN IS MY SON AND HE KNOWS IT! I DON'T GIVE TWO S IF HE'S YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD! YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAD A SON, WHY DO YOU SUDDENLY CARE ABOUT HIM?!'

Jeongin  couldn't avoid overhearing Chan's phone coversation because he was so loud.

'NO! I WILL NEVER LET HIM SEE YOU AGAIN! I WILL NEVER LET HIM KNOW YOU ARE HIS DAD! YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO BE A DAD, YOU UGLY PIECE OF CRAP!'

Silence from the other side. Woojin had hung up, realizing the pointlessness of this conversation.

Chan let his Jealousy over his son get the best of him. He wasn't usually this rude. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down, then he opened the door. He was startled to see Jeongin standing right in front of the door, his schoolbag dropped beside him, crying silent waterfalls.

'Appa, is it true?'

'Jeongin I-'

'You're not really my Appa, are you?'

'Jeongin, sweetie-'

'You lied to me, YOU LIED TO ME FOR THIRTEEN YEARS?!' Jeongin choked on his tears.

'Jeongin, I can explain..'

'No need to explain. Just tell me who was the man on the phone.' He demanded.

'But how could I have possibly told you that you were adopted?!'

'Tell me. Who. He is.'

Chan opened his arms to hug him.

'Stay away from me!' Jeongin took a few steps back, sniffling.

Suddenly, in the midst of all the anger and confusion, when it seemed to them that things couldn't be worse, the fire alarm went off. Chan grabbed Jeongin's hand tightly and quickly walked towards the apartment door. He opened it cautiously, and sure enough, the apartment opposite from theirs was set ablaze with the door wide open and smoke flooding out of it. They both coughed then ran down the stairway as fast as their legs could take them. Chan was still holding Jeongin's hand, and Jeongin gripped it even tighter. Jeongin was still coughing violently even though the smoke had become thinner the further they descended, and Chan could sense that Jeongin could no longer run. By the time they had reached the entrance of the building, Jeongin collapsed and had difficulty breathing.

A pneumothorax reccurence.

Chan couldn't wait for an ambulance. He picked up Jeongin and carried him on his shoulder. He ran all the way to the closest hospital, which happened to be the hospital they were already familiar with. SM hospital.

'Where is Dr. Seungmin? Get me Dr. Seungmin right now!' demanded Chan.

Dr. Woojin recognized the source of the yelling voice and went towards him immediately. 'Seungmin Seonsaengnim is currently doing a surgery.'

He looked at the person on the stretcher. It was Jeongin. His heart ached, but he had to keep calm. He had to do what he had to do to save his son. 'I will perform the medical procedures. Get me a room ready.'

'You?! You're gonna save him?! I said get me Dr. Seungmin! Are you all deaf?!' 

'Chan, I know what you have towards me, but this is Jeongin's life on the line. You need to trust me, I know I can save him. Because he is my son, I won't let him die.' 

Chan took a few deep breaths. 'Fine. But promise me he will survive.' 

'I will do my best. I promise. Not just for you, for Jeongin, and for me as well.'