Chapter 1

I'm my Father's Son

It was 10 pm when Chan arrived at Seoul Station. He anticipatingly got on board the train. It was approximately a 2 and a half hour ride from Seoul to Busan, so he had some time to sort out the thoughts that were buzzing around in his head. He sat down on a seat with his luggage beside him, and spaced out before the train even started moving.

The past few months were quite hectic for Bang Chan. Thanks to his outstanding academic performance, he had received a scholarship to study in the elite JYP University in Busan. He had always wanted to complete his higher education in South Korea, since that was where his parents were from. But because he was living in Sydney, his Korean wasn't that good. So he moved to Seoul to take up a Korean language course in a reputable institute, and there he made friends with Mark, Jackson and Bambam. They decided that they would  live together once they all go to Busan, so they found a good place with 8 rooms in it. Chan decided to go back to Seoul for the remaining week before the semester starts. While the others stayed in Busan, they were introduced to the other dorm residents: Jaebum, Jinyoung, Yugyeom and Youngjae.

The reason Chan wanted to stay in Seoul was to spend some time with his girlfriend, Eunbi. They decided that they were to break up once Chan moved to Busan, because Eunbi didn't want a long distance relationship. Chan didn't mind breaking up with her, although he liked her but he only thought of her as a sister to him.

While he was packing his things Eunbi came into the room drinking something from a soju bottle.

'Is that baby formula again? I don't understand why you like it so much' Chan told her.

'What, would you prefer it if I drank actual soju?' She said ironically with a raised eyebrow.

'No I think it's cute that you don't drink alcohol, but that stuff just tastes horrible' explained Chan, pretending to gag.

Eunbi shot him a look. 'If you think it's cute then take a bottle of it with you, so it reminds you of me' she said with a grin.

Chan took the bottle from her with a smile, and put it in his bag.

Chan snapped back to reality at the sound of a tiny bundle crying on the seat next to him. He opened it and found a baby inside. Chan looked around and he found that the train was almost empty and no one paid any attention to the crying baby. He felt sorry for it but he didn't know what to do. Then he remembered the soju bottle Eunbi gave him. He quickly searched for it in his bag and pulled it out. He awkwardly lifted up the baby and held the soju bottle to its mouth. Surprisingly the baby started to drink the formula hungrily and none of the passengers even noticed that 'why is that guy giving soju to a baby' because most of them were sleeping. Because Chan had 2 younger siblings, he had a bit of experience with caring for small children. After the baby was full, Chan lifted it on his shoulder to make it burp and then put it back on the seat next to him.

The train arrived at Busan Station and the passengers on the train all got off quickly because it wasn't crouded at this hour. None of them seemed like they intended to claim the baby. Chan thought there was only one thing he could do.