Hold On To Me, Darling

Master of the Angst, One-Shot Collection

Hold On To Me, Darling

(YoonHyun - inspired by the song Hold On by Michael Buble)

 

Didn't they always say we were the lucky ones?
I guess that we were once, babe, we were once,
but luck will leave you cursed, it is a faithless friend,
and in the end, when life has got you down,
you've got someone here that you can wrap your arms around.

 

Eyes were red. Sniffles were heard. The teary Seohyun in Yoona’s arms. This is the place where Seohyun found her sanctuary. Safe and secured in the arms of her loved one. Holding her up when her knees had already failed her. In her arms she could hold on.

 

Yoona tries hard not to cry too but her tears were just too heavy. She knows she needs to be strong for Seohyun but she fear Seohyun would know it was all a façade if she ever saw her tears. So she bit her lip so no sound would come out and silently cried. Resting her chin on the crown of Seohyun’s head, she tightens the hold around Seohyun’s waist.

 

It was all excitement not too long ago. The good times were filled with laughter and anticipation. A lot of things were going on for them. Yoona bought an apartment as her wedding present for Seohyun. Her wife was all excited in decorating their home. Yoona called it her castle. Yoona’s the King and Seohyun’s the Queen. Yoona got promoted and the Kim’s were impressed. She remembered the time when Yoona asked Kim Taeyeon for her daughter’s hand in marriage. It wasn’t easy but Seohyun fought for them. She fought for their love. Yoona tightened her hold around Seohyun. A strong woman, her wife. And it crushed Yoona’s heart to see Seohyun look so weak. So vulnerable. She kissed Seohyun’s temple. It was wet of perspiration and tears.

 

There's a thousand ways for things to fall apart,
but it's no one’s fault, no it's not my fault.
Maybe all the plans we made might not work out,
but I have no doubt, even though it's hard to see.
I've got faith in us, and I believe in you and me.

 

“Just let it out, Hyunnie.” Yoona whispered and kissed Seohyun’s ear.

 

“It’s my entire fault.” Seohyun spoke. “If only –“

 

“Shush...speak no more.” Yoona silence her. “It wasn’t anyone’s fault.” Yoona said. She loosened her hold on Seohyun and pushed her gently so she could cup Seohyun’s teary cheek.

 

“It was never your fault.” Yoona looked deep into Seohyun’s eyes. Then placed a chaste kiss.

 

“B-but Yoongie if only I didn’t go. If only I think about it more. If only I listen to you...” Seohyun said in between her sobs. She closed her eyes shut and rests her head on Yoona’s shoulder. “Mianhe...Yoongie.” Seohyun muffled her apology as her face was buried at the crook of Yoona’s neck.

 

Yoona tries to sooth the crying Seohyun rubbing her back. Up and down. She never once blames Seohyun for what happened. It never did cross her mind. “It’s okay Hyunnie. You did nothing wrong.”

 

Seohyun raised her head and her eyes met Yoona’s. “No...” Seohyun shakes her head. Disagree.  “I know you really want this Yoongie. This was what you wanted all along. You’ve been patient with me and when it happened...you look so proud. So happy.” Seohyun gulps the lump in . This time Yoona tries hard to hold back her tears. She shut her eyes tight but a tear escapes nevertheless.

 

“It was my fault Yoongie!” Seohyun said angrily.

 

“Enough!” Yoona hugs Seohyun tightly. “No, Hyunnie. It’s not your fault!”

 

“B-but I lost your child, Yoongie...” Seohyun’s sobs heavier now.

 

“O-our child, Hyunnie. SH-she was yours too.” Yoona stutters as she tries hard not to cry. No she won’t cry. “There’s no one to be blame. And I know you want this too. I know you want a family too, Hyunnie. Both of us do.” They hugged each other until silence filled the room.

 

There's so many dreams that we have given up.
Take a look at all we've got,
and with this kind of love,
and what we've got here is enough.

 

“Nothing we can do if angels decided to take him. Perhaps they found our little cupcake too cute and they just can’t resist!” Yoona made a little humor just to lift the solemn atmosphere.

 

Seohyun chuckled. Leave it to Yoona to make her smile again. Her heavy sobs had died down.

 

“It was just not meant to be. We’ll try again and again. I’m never giving up. You do too, right Hyunnie?”

 

Seohyun nods.  She knew she needs to accept and move on.

 

So hold on to me tight.
Hold on, I promise it will be alright.
Cuz we are stronger here together,
than we could ever be alone.
Just hold on to me,
don't you ever let me go.
Hold on to me, it's gonna be alright.
Hold on to me tonight.

  

Didn’t they always say, we were the lucky ones?

 

The End