Before Meeting the Parents

Secretly Mine

The traffic on the highway was not as bad as I thought (probably because it was a weekday night) and we arrived in my hometown just before 10 pm.

“Let’s meet my parents in the morning,” I suggested when I saw Byul trying to stifle a yawn. “They’re probably asleep by now anyways.”

She looked at me sheepishly and nodded. I directed her towards a cheap hotel that I knew and we unloaded our bags from the car. Then, I arranged for a single room with twin beds while Byul stood to the side, cooing at a sleepy Kkomo in his carrier.

The receptionist was a little apprehensive when she saw Kkomo, but I assured her that my cat was well-behaved and I would only let him wander around our room. When she was still adamant, I reluctantly used my aegyo on her and reasoned that we were only going to be there for one night. She scowled, but her lips twitched when I used my aegyo and I secretly knew I had won her over. She finally let me off with a stern warning to clean up if Kkomo sheds any fur or I would have to pay a hefty fine. I grinned and thanked her profusely before taking our room key from her and ushering Byul and Kkomo towards the elevator.

Our room was on the third floor and as soon as we stepped inside, Byul marveled at the night scene below; I felt a little proud for being able to get a room with a view. Then, I went to take a shower while Byul let Kkomo out of his carrier, giving him a chance to stretch his kitty limbs. After I finished, I saw Byul and Kkomo sprawled on one of the beds, snoring peacefully and in sync.

I shook my head, smiling at the sight, and went over to tuck them in. But before I could even lift Kkomo off of Byul’s chest, I felt a hand around my wrist. Byul squinted up at me, set into a frown.

“Wheein…?” she mumbled.

“Hey,” I whispered as I gently shook her hand off and tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear, “did I wake you?”

She shook her head and tried to get up, but realizing that there was a weight on her chest, she laid down again with a soft grunt. I chuckled softly before lifting Kkomo into my arms and deposited him on the other bed; he stirred a bit, but a gentle on his back and he purred contentedly as he resumed his slumber. After grabbing his blanket and draping it over his small body, I turned towards Byul who had her eyes shut again.

“Are you going back to sleep?” I asked softly as I sat on the edge of the bed near her waist.

Her eyes fluttered open and she tried to say something, but no sound came out. She frowned and sighed, scratching at the edge of her turtleneck where I could see her scar peeking out; I wondered if was dry and it made her uncomfortable.

“I’ll get you some water,” I grabbed the complimentary water bottle on the nightstand and handed it to her, “and you don’t have to talk if you’re too tired, Byul-ah…”

She just smiled before chugging down the water until the bottle was half empty. Then, she whipped out her phone and started typing furiously before showing it to me.

“I’m sorry for falling asleep on you.”

“It’s okay,” I assured her. “I know you were tired from driving all the way here.”

Wordlessly, she took my hand and pressed butterfly kisses across my knuckles, causing my insides to flutter and a tingle to run up and down my spine. I needed to get used to this feeling every time Byul does this or I would have a stupid grin on my face all the damn time!

Byul glanced up at me, still on my hand, and our eyes met. I could see a spark in her eyes and I swallowed, my heart thudding against my chest in anticipation. Then, I felt her smirk rather than saw it.

“Y-You’re beautiful, Wheein-ah,” she whispered.

I blushed and closed my eyes; even if I wanted to look everywhere but at her right now, my eyes seemed to be permanently fixed on her. A moment later, I felt something soft pressed against my forehead; then, my right cheek and my left cheek before I felt them against my mouth. I let out a small sigh and my hands went up to cup soft, fluffy cheeks before I returned the kiss. It was soft and sweet and I didn’t want it to end.

After a while, I pulled away and moved my hands around Byul’s neck, eyes never leaving hers, before falling back against the mattress, taking her along with me. We both broke out into giggles when she braced our fall, her hand around my waist and her other hand pushing against the mattress. I pulled her down for another kiss and she complied as she gently laid my body down.

I let out a contented hum when she broke the kiss and started peppering soft kisses along my jaw and down my neck. I tilted my head back to give her better access and she let out a low grunt at the motion, and nibbling her way along my neck. I tangled my fingers in her dark hair, scratching her scalp lightly when found a sensitive spot and gave her hair a light tug when I thought it was too much. After she had her fill, Byul kissed her way back up and claimed my lips once again.

“I hope you didn’t leave any marks,” I murmured in a teasing tone, “because my parents would stop assuming and just outright ask if we’re dating.”

She broke the kiss and pressed her forehead against mine. She looked so beautiful with her cheeks flushed and her lips red and swollen; I had the urge to pull her in for another kiss.

“I-I was t-tempted to,” she mumbled, a shy smile gracing her face, “but I-I don’t w-want to make a b-bad first impression on y-your parents by m-marking their d-daughter aggressively.”

I giggled and pressed my palms against her fluffy cheeks. She pouted in response, looking very adorable, and I had to squish her cheeks further before I heard her groaning, asking me to stop. I chuckled and decided to give her cheeks mercy before my fingers found their home in the strands of her hair.

“I can’t believe you like me too,” I whispered as my eyes roamed her whole face, drinking in her beauty, “it’s like a dream come true…”

She let out a sigh and fell next to me, her arm draping across my torso. I frowned, worried about the sigh and the words that would follow. I rolled over to face her and waited patiently for her to say something. Anything.

She just smiled as her fingers traced nonsensical patterns on my cheek before stopping on the curve of my lone dimple. “The t-time we spent t-together was short,” she started, her warm breath tickling my face as she touched her forehead with mine, “b-but it felt l-like I’ve known y-you forever, Wheein-ah. I’m s-sorry if my confession s-seemed out of the blue…”

I blushed. I also felt the same – I didn’t feel as awkward with Byul as I was in my past relationships; it felt right to be in her arms. Then, I realized that I had not properly responded to her confession.

“I like you too, Byul-ah,” I murmured and smiled when I saw the colours staining her cheeks. Then, I frowned and added, “Come to think of it, I like you first.”

She snorted. “I a-am sure that I like you f-first.”

I scoffed. “You didn’t even talk to me the whole year after you moved in!”

“I s-smiled at you,” she replied stubbornly. Then, as if she gave it another thought, she added with a sheepish smile, “S-Sometimes…”

I rolled my eyes and playfully shoved her chest. I wasn’t the strongest girl around and it was an innocent shove, really, but Byul was in a dramatic mood and rolled over until she fell off the bed, groaning as if I had done the most sinful thing ever. I looked over the edge of the bed and saw her making the most comical grimacing face ever.

“Stop being a baby,” I scoffed and stuck out my tongue at her, “and go wash up.”

She chuckled before rising from the floor and padded her way towards the bathroom. I shook my head, amused at Byul’s playfulness towards me; I would usually see that side of her when she plays with Kkomo. Suddenly, a yawn escaped me and I knew it was time for bed.

I slid off the bed to change out of the bathrobe and into my pajamas. Then, I grabbed the pillow from Kkomo’s bed (Kkomo is a cat and he didn’t need pillows, okay?) and settled down on the other bed, making enough room for Byul later.

I was half-way into dreamland when I heard the bathroom door open and Byul’s footsteps approaching the bed. I smiled sleepily up at her and she grinned in response.

“Sleep,” she murmured and planted a soft kiss on my forehead, “I’ll join you later.”

I nodded and laid my head on the pillow. It didn’t take long before sleep claimed me and I started dreaming of a rainbow paradise with Byul, me and Kkomo as the main casts.