Where Are U?

Secretly Mine

Wheein.

My heart thumped and the skin on the back of my neck tingled, the way it sometimes would when I listen to ghost stories.

My gaze roamed around the living room, but there were no one in here other than me, Kkomo, Omma and Appa. At first I thought that it was Byul’s voice, but Byul was supposed to be out taking the trash and I would have seen her come in from where I was sitting. Weird.

And now my skin was breaking into goosebumps. Why do I always do this to myself? I hate ghost stories!

“Wheein.”

This time, my name was uttered by a living person (thankfully) and I breathed out a sigh of relief before turning to Omma with a smile on my face.

“Yes, Omma?”

“Don’t you think Byul-ssi has been out there for quite a while now?” Omma gestured out the window. “The rain is drizzling now, but she can still be wet. She did go out without an umbrella earlier…”

I frowned and glanced at the front door. Omma was right, but I recalled the awkward moment we had in the hallway and I hesitated.

“What are you doing, Jung Wheein?” Omma demanded. “Go and get your girlfriend before she falls ill.”

I blushed furiously. “Sh-she’s not my girlfriend,” I stammered as I got to my feet, unceremoniously dumping Kkomo on the floor, “yet.”

Then I remembered Byul’s missing fiancée and I hesitated again. Would it still be okay for me to want Byul to myself even with the fiancée’s existence hanging over our heads? It wouldn’t be fair to either of us and I already told Byul that it was okay for her to leave if Aoi re-appears.

I let out a long sigh.

I wished I could take my words back, but I didn’t want Byul to think I was an indecisive child. Argh. My ego will be my downfall one of these days…

“Jung Wheein, what are you doing standing around and clicking your tongue at the floor?!”

At the sound of Omma’s voice, I let out a surprised yelp and dashed towards the front door. I grabbed the biggest umbrella we had and ventured outside to fetch Byul.

But Byul was nowhere to be found.

I glanced up and down the empty street – I could see a few people running around, trying to find shelter, and a couple of cars dashing past with their wipers at slow speed, but it was otherwise deserted.

“Byul?” I called out, but no one answered. “Byul! Where are you? Come back inside!”

The few people still walking about gave me weird glances, but I didn’t care – I was in full panic mode! I remembered what Byul said about her father and my heart thumped with worry. I quickly fished out my phone and dialed Byul’s number, but it went straight to voicemail.

My hands were shaking now as worry thoughts ran at lightning speed through my head. I didn’t even realize that the umbrella had fallen from my hand as I turned around and dashed back inside the house. Omma’s scolding voice fell on deaf ears as I sped up towards my room, hoping that Byul had somehow bypassed the living room and was drying her hair in there.

Alas, no Byul.

I dragged my wet feet around the room, checking to see if somehow Byul had taken her belongings with her. I doubt it, but I just wanted to be sure. A heavy feeling crept into my chest with every item of Byul that was accounted for. Then I saw Byul’s phone on my desk and my heart literally stopped. I glanced at the screen; there was one missed call – from me.

I stared at the phone blankly. What does this mean? Why did Byul leave without her phone? Where could she even have gone to when she had never came here before?

All these questions plagued my mind – I felt lost and helpless. I didn’t know where to look for Byul; where to even start. A strangled sob escaped me and I kept muttering Byul’s name, tears trickling down my face; I was confused about her disappearance and worried about her safety all at the same time.

Suddenly, Byul’s phone rang and I choked on my tears in surprise. I glanced at the screen – it was an unknown number. I simply stared at it, debating whether to answer or leave it be. Then, a thought crossed my mind – it could be the person who took Byul!

I quickly snatched the phone off the desk and pressed the green button before putting the call on the speaker.

“H-Hello…?”

“Wheein…”

All my senses went on high alert. It was Byul’s voice, but she sounded tired and sad. Something definitely had happened to her!

“Are you okay?” I asked, sounding desperate even to my ears, “where are you? Why did you suddenly disappear like that? You had me worried, Byul-ah…”

“I’m s-sorry…I c-can’t tell you m-much…just that-”

The sound of gunshot in the background interrupted Byul and I heard her screaming someone’s name away from the phone.

Aoi.

Everything inside me froze up when I heard that name. So Byul had gone somewhere to meet her fiancée. I was a fool to think that she would change her mind and choose me. A gasp escaped my lips and a tear fell down my cheek; I could almost hear a crack somewhere inside of me.

I didn’t have time to wallow in my heartbreak – the gunshots didn’t seem to stop and Byul’s voice sounded desperate as she kept calling Aoi’s name. I shouted into the phone, wanting to know what was happening but there was no response. I wondered if Byul had dropped the phone in her haste to get to Aoi. Suddenly, there was a crash and static, followed by silence.

My worry for Byul spiked and I knew I wouldn’t be able to rest until I know what was going on at the other end of the line. I set Byul’s phone down and grabbed my own, dialing a familiar number. It was picked up on the first ring and I quickly made my demands known.

“Ahn Hyejin, pick me up in five minutes. I need your help.”

As always, Hyejin, my best friend, my soulmate, never disappoints when she simply uttered, “On my way.”

 

We were driving around aimlessly and I could already sense Hyejin was becoming impatient.

“Just a bit more,” I said without looking at her, my eyes combing our surroundings as the car crawled down the street. “I promise.”

Hyejin let out a sigh, running a hand through her short blonde curls. “That’s what you said an hour ago, Wheein. Can we do this during the day? It’ll be easier to find-”

“I heard gunshots, Hyejinie,” I said through gritted teeth as I turned to look at her square in the eyes, “she could be wounded or dying for all we know. If I wait until tomorrow, she could be dead.”

Hyejin gave me an apologetic look, muttered her apology and we continued to drive around in silence. I was getting more and more frustrated with each block we drove by…until we heard the siren.

Hyejin had to pull over as an ambulance sped past us, its red-and-blue siren blaring at top volume. We looked at each other and the same thoughts were reflected in our eyes and faces. I nodded at her and, without another word, Hyejin stomped on the gas pedal, following the ambulance closely.

The ambulance brought us to the local cemetery where a crowd was already gathered, being fended off by police officers who were guarding the scene with solemn looks on their faces.

Hyeijn and I joined the crowd and painfully navigated our way until we were at the front lines. Stretching our necks around the grim officers, we followed the barricade until we saw the officers standing around the body of a girl that was full of holes.

I felt a nauseous feeling at the pit of my stomach and Hyejin quickly pulled me into her arms, shielding my head from the scene.

“At least it’s not Byul,” Hyejin whispered in my ear as she dragged me away from the crowd, “be glad it’s not Byul...”

Yes, I am glad it wasn’t Byul who was on that cemetery floor. But it raised two questions for me: who was that dead girl and where the are you, Byul?

______________________________________________________

A/N: Hello~ Thank you for reading! ^^

This is the end of Part 1...please stay tuned for Part 2 ^^