Reunion

Secretly Mine

I couldn’t believe I had forgotten about the door.

I couldn’t believe it didn’t occur to me that Omma would come up to my room and check on us.

I couldn’t believe she didn’t knock!

“What is going on in here?!”

We were stretched out on my old bed, arms around each other and legs tangled together when we heard Omma’s voice. We both froze and stared at one another. I could see it in Byul’s eyes – she was trying to think of an excuse, but I doubt that Omma would be fooled; it was plain obvious what we were doing.

“Don’t,” I murmured to her, touching her cheeks to draw her attention to me, “it will be fine, Byul-ah.”

She gave me a small smile, but the worry was still evident in her eyes. I gave her a quick kiss on the mouth before sitting up. She followed shortly after, quietly scooting backwards towards the headboard to give me a clear view of Omma in the doorway. The door was now wide open and Omma was standing there with a look of disbelief on her face and her hands on her hips. She looked as if she was about to say something, but decided against it and just let out a long sigh.

“I understand you two are adults,” she said, rubbing her temple with one hand, “but I expected more self-restraint from you since you’re not teenagers anymore.”

My face suddenly felt hot – I was mortified that we were even having this conversation. “Stop it, Omma,” I whined. “It won’t happen again.”

At least not while you’re awake…

Omma narrowed her eyes at me, as if she could read my mind. I gave her a lopsided smile, dimple included, hoping to ease her suspicion. She let out a huff and shook her head before beckoning me towards her. I gave Byul a reassuring smile as I hopped off the bed – she smiled back, a little brighter than before – and I dragged myself over to Omma.

“I have an errand for you, Wheeinie,” Omma said as she turned around and headed for the stairs, “maybe it will help you cool off a bit.”

My jaw dropped and my already cooled face became hot again. “Omma!”

 

Omma wanted to have a feast for dinner – she was already finished preparing lunch – and wanted me to buy the missing ingredients for said feast.

I stared at the shopping list in my left hand. I almost had everything now – just a couple more and I could head home.

The sun was burning bright in the sky and there was barely any breeze – it was hot and humid and I just wanted to curl up in an air-conditioned room. I sighed, adjusting my grip on the plastic bags in my right hand – they were heavy and I had nearly toppled over a few times because of the weight – as I walked along the riverbank towards my next destination.

My steps halted when I saw a bent tree next to the riverbank, its branches and leaves almost touching the river.

Memories flooded my mind and a fond smile found its way onto my face. There, underneath that tree, was where I would always find Hyejin whenever she was gloomy and depressed or generally upset; it was her secret hiding spot. I thought it was ridiculous – how could it be a secret when it was out in the open for everyone to see? This was a small town and everyone knew everyone here – she would be recognized easily. Oddly enough, no one ever found her here. Except for me.

I was brought back to the present when I realized that there was a figure sitting underneath the tree, hugging their knees to their chest while staring at the flowing river in front of them. Before I could even think about it, my legs brought me towards the tree; towards the familiar figure.

“Ahn Hyejin?”

My voice was barely a whisper because I was in disbelief. The last time I heard from Hyejin, she was overseas, knee deep in her new project. Now, she was here. Why?

Hyejin tipped her straw hat back and looked up at me, eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses. Her face was devoid of her favourite heavy makeup and she looked thinner than the last time I saw her. A heartbeat passed before her thin lips curved into a warm smile.

“Jung Wheein,” she drawled and patted the spot beside her on the grass, “come sit with me. For old time’s sake,” she added, her smile widening.

I couldn’t help smiling back; her smile was infectious like that. Without a word, I set the plastic bags down and sat beside her. I wasn’t sure what to say to her since we had not talked in a while, so we sat in silence, staring at the river. A moment later, she spoke.

“How are you?”

Her voice sounded curiously different than the last time I heard it; a little deeper and more mature. I felt a pang in my chest – I realized that I missed her voice. It really had been too long since we actually talked.

“Why are you here?” I asked instead. “In Jeonju, I mean…”

“I miss my parents.”

“You were in America, the last time I heard from you.”

“I’m on a break.”

I frowned. Usually, when she spoke in that quiet tone, it meant something else. “The project went well, right?” I asked worriedly.

“Yes, of course.” She paused and turned to me, tugging her sunglasses down her nose and smiling slightly. “Don’t worry, Wheeinie. Everything is good on my end. What about you? What are you doing here on a work day?”

I hesitated. I might as well tell her. She’s my best friend, after all and she already knew about Tiffany. “I slept with my boss,” I confessed, “and then I rejected her when she asked me out.”

There was a momentary silent before Hyejin threw her head back and laughed. I glared at her, my cheeks hot with embarrassment.

“It’s not funny,” I grumbled.

“Oh yes, it is,” Hyejin said breathlessly after her laughter had receded to a teasing grin, “I still remember you gushing about Tiffany when you first started working as her secretary and now you’re over her?” She paused, her grin dimmed down to a curious smile. “Why is that, Wheeinie? What happened to your little crush on her?”

I blushed as Byul’s face floated through my mind. “I-I found someone else,” I said shyly.

Suddenly, I felt a stinging pain on my thigh where Hyejin had slapped me. I glared at her while rubbing my throbbing thigh, silently asking with my eyes what the violence was for. She rolled her eyes in response and crossed her arms.

“Why didn’t you tell your best friend you have a new crush?” she demanded.

“I-It happened so quickly…I didn’t get a chance to...”

“Are you dating this person?”

“No, not yet.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Is this person playing around with you?” she asked, her voice low and dangerous. “Should I prepare an elaborate plan to eliminate them?”

My lips twitched. I knew Hyejin wasn’t serious, but I also knew that she could really make someone’s life a living hell if they ever hurt me; my past boyfriends were often the subject of her wrath. “She’s going to take me on a date after we return to Seoul,” I confessed, my smile widening as I imagined that first date with Byul, “so I would appreciate it if you don’t eliminate my would-be date.”

Hyejin stared at me, eyes wide and mouth slightly parted. I frowned, wondering if I had said something to upset her.

“Hyejinie?”

Hyejin finally recovered and scowled at me. She placed her hands on my shoulder and shook me roughly. “She’s here?!” she hissed. “She’s met your parents? What about me? Your best friend, your soulmate? Why haven’t you introduced her to me yet?”

“I thought you were in America!” I shot back and pried her hands off of me. But I kept her hands in mine as I added in a quiet voice, “Besides, even if you were here, I still wouldn’t introduce you two. It’s dangerous if she meets you…”

Hyejin gave me an incredulous look. I knew it was stupid, but I couldn’t help it. Hyejin used to be chubby as a teenager, but then she grew up and lost some weight; she was pretty as a teen, but she was even more beautiful as an adult. Her tanned skin was flawless and glowing and her legs were smoother and longer than mine; I couldn’t help feeling a little envious of her.

“We have different tastes,” she reminded me, “I’m not going to fall for your girlfriend. And if she does fall for me, then dump her . She's not worth it.” She wriggled her hands out of mine and pulled me into a tight hug. “Give yourself more credit,” she whispered in my ear, “you are beautiful, Jung Wheein, inside and out. She would be a fool to let you go.”

I felt a rush of emotion inside me and I fought off the urge to cry. It had been a long time since I heard Hyejin’s soothing voice and, as always, she knew how to make me feel better. I hugged her back and buried my face in her shoulder. “I miss you, Hyejinie,” I mumbled.

“I miss you too, Wheeinie.”

“Do you have to leave soon?”

“Yes,” she sighed as she pulled away slightly, “tomorrow.”

“Oh,” I mumbled. “I thought we could hang out…”

Hyejin’s face lit up. “Want to have dinner with me?”

“I can’t,” I replied with a sad pout, “Omma is making a feast for dinner.”

Hyejin chuckled. “She must really like your girlfriend, huh?” she teased.

“She is not my girlfriend,” I muttered, blushing furiously, “n-not yet…”

“Well, I don’t want to say goodbye just yet,” Hyejin said as she rose to her feet and took off her hat, running one hand through her dark bob, “want to walk home together?”

“Sure,” I replied with a grin as I stood up and grabbed the plastic bags with one hand, “but I need to finish my shopping first.”

“Oh, good idea,” she grinned, linking her arm through mine, “I need to buy some snacks anyway.”

I returned her grin. We walked away from the tree and headed towards my original destination, falling into our familiar chatter, laughing and joking freely.

Ah, I really do miss her. My best friend, my soulmate.