I Like You (Pt. 2)

Secretly Mine

I stepped out of the bathroom to find her sitting cross-legged on the bed.

She had removed her glasses and let her dark hair fall free down her shoulders and back as she stared intently at her phone, her fingers busily typing away. Suddenly, curled into the most beautiful smile I had ever seen and I couldn’t help but stare.

“Tiffany…?”

I snapped out of my trance and found her looking at me with a worried expression on her face.

“Um, it’s your turn to wash up,” I said hastily, gesturing in the direction of the bathroom. “There are extra towels and toothbrush in the medicine cabinet if you want…”

“Oh, right. Thanks.”

She hopped off the bed, placing her phone on the night stand before making her way towards the bathroom, humming something under her breath as she passed by me.

I was curious about the sudden change in her mood, but I held my tongue. I just stared at her retreating back until she disappeared inside the bathroom. I was suddenly reminded of last week; of the day I had Wheein in my arms – the one and only time that she was mine.

 

It was a night of celebration.

After nearly a month of negotiations, I had successfully secured a huge overseas contract. Father was so proud, he threw a party at the company’s ballroom for me.

A party was not exactly in my Saturday night plans – I just wanted to go home and recover weeks of sleepless nights. But there was no way Father would let me leave early, so I decided that I would just ditch the party and hide somewhere until it was time to go.

After the initial greetings and the obligatory speech, I grabbed a bottle of champagne and quietly slipped away to my office. The moon was bright that night – even through the window blinds I could see it shining so brilliantly – I didn’t even need to turn on the lights in my office.

“What are you doing in here?”

I glanced at the door from my place on the couch and for a moment, I stopped breathing.

Jung Wheein stood at my door, leaning against the frame with her hands folded across her chest, looking at me with a raised brow and a quizzical smile on her face. Even in the darkness, basked in the moon’s light, she was breathtakingly beautiful. She had freed her dark hair from its tight bun and it flowed beautifully past her shoulders. She had also ditched her glasses; apparently, she only used them for work. She was still in her work attire, but she had put on extra thick makeup just for the party.

Just for me.

A bitter smile tugged at the corner of my lips at the thought and I tore my gaze away from her, bringing the opening of the champagne bottle to my lips and took a long sip.

No one would believe me if I said that three months ago, I never had a secretary – Wheein blended in so well, everyone thought she had been by my side all along. I felt that way too and it was a dangerous feeling; she was just a secretary and that was it.

At least that should be it.

These past few weeks, I found myself wanting more than just a work relationship with Wheein. Father had warned me against this, of course, but did my heart listened? Pfft. Screw him, it said.

“Hey.”

My thoughts were interrupted by a stern voice and the absence of a bottle in my hand. I scowled up at her and pursed my lips. Wheein just chuckled and hid the bottle behind her back.

I sighed wearily and let myself fall sideways on the couch, stretching the exhaustion out of my limbs. “What do you want?” I muttered, closing my eyes and waited for sleep to come to me.

“The CEO is looking for you.”

“I’m not going back there.”

“It’s your party.”

“It’s his party. I never wanted it. I just want to go home and sleep.”

“And yet, you are here in your office drinking…alone.”

I opened one eye and smirked. “Are you offering to drink with me, Miss Jung?”

She shrugged. “Better than letting you drink alone, Miss Hwang.”

I sat up and folded my legs, making room for her to sit. She took the invitation and sat next to me, handing me the half-emptied bottle. I grabbed it and took a few sips before handing it back to her. I realized then that we were sharing one bottle; I was kissing her indirectly and my heart almost burst at the thought.

But Wheein didn’t hesitate and threw her head back, chugging down large gulps of the liquid.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down,” I grabbed the bottle from her, “are you trying to get drunk?”

She wiped and grinned at me, her eyes blazing with something that made my traitorous heart pound in response.

“I have a pretty high tolerance,” she said cheekily. “I can handle champagne. It’s like chewing a gum.”

I rolled my eyes at her choice of comparison, but my lips curled with amusement. “You're definitely tipsy now, Wheein-ssi,” I chuckled as I set the bottle on the floor, far away from my pouting secretary, “maybe it’s time for you to go home.”

I stood up and took her arm, gently tugging her to stand as well. The moment I got Wheein up though was the moment I lost my balance and fell back down on the couch, taking her along with me.

We let out a groan simultaneously – me for the sudden weight on my chest; Wheein for bumping her forehead against my chin. I propped myself up on my elbows, contemplating to push her off of me so that I could breathe again, but she looked adorable with her face scrunching up in pain that I ended up just staring at her. She sat up, half-straddling my waist and suddenly, our eyes met. A moment later, we burst out laughing.

When our laughter finally subsided, I realized that our faces were only inches away. Without thinking, I leaned in and pressed my mouth against hers. She tasted so heavenly, I didn’t want it to end, but I quickly realized that it was wrong and pulled away. Before I could utter an apology or rationalize what I just did though, Wheein grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and pulled me in for a kiss.

I was so happy, I didn’t think twice what this would mean; didn’t think of the consequences. I was too caught up thinking that she wanted me as much as I wanted her. I thought that Wheein was finally mine and that I was never letting her go.

When morning came though, we realized we had been careless – the office door had been wide open all night and anyone could have walked in on us. Wheein had blamed our carelessness on the champagne, saying that this could never happen again; that it was a mistake. I admitted that it hurt to hear her say that, but I was determined to change her mind; to show her that what happened wasn’t a mistake.

I had everything planned out – I had wanted to take her out on a Sunday date and sweep her off of her feet, like in those cheesy romance movies. But Father decided, on that very morning, that we had to fly overseas and meet with our new client. For one whole week!

When I finally came back, expecting to resume my plans of wooing my secretary, I found out that Wheein, my Wheein, had gone and fallen for someone else. Damn everything to hell.

 

The bathroom door creaked open, bringing me out of my thoughts.

Wheein walked out with a towel around her neck and sat next to me at the edge of the bed. “So…” she started hesitantly, “…are we sleeping on the same bed?”

She looked so shy and awkward, I felt the sudden urge to .

I grinned, raising my eyebrows suggestively. “You want to?”

Her face turned into a cherry colour. “Th-that…I-I…”

“Relax,” I chuckled as I slid off the bed, “you’re the only one sleeping here. I’m taking the couch.”

“B-But…”

“No buts,” I said sternly as I grabbed a pillow and headed towards the two-seater couch at the other end of the room, “just sleep.”

She hesitated for a moment before climbing under the covers. “Good night, Tiffany,” she called out in a soft voice.

“Good night, Wheein.”

I wanted to talk with her about so many things – I wanted to tell her that I didn’t mean to leave so suddenly; I wanted to tell her about that date that never happened; I wanted to tell her everything. But I couldn’t bring myself to do it; I had enough heartbreak for one day.

Perhaps tomorrow, I could try again.