Tears

Secretly Mine

It was an understatement to say that I was surprised when Tiffany suddenly hugged me from behind.

Tiffany had kindly offered to drive me home after breakfast (fortunately, the CEO and her wife weren’t home or it would have been really awkward). I had a feeling that she wanted to talk about something, so I said yes.

But the whole car ride was filled with silence, except for the music softly floating from the radio. I suddenly felt doubtful, wondering if I had read her intentions wrong.

Tiffany seemed lost in thought as she drove and I could not help glancing at her pensive side profile more than once, trying to figure out what was occupying her mind. I finally gave up and let myself be engrossed by the radio’s music.

When we finally arrived in front of my building, she hurried out and went towards the passenger side to open the door for me. My heart fluttered a little – I had arrived in an expensive car and now the driver was being a complete gentlewoman to me; no maiden heart could resist a scene that was straight out of a fairytale.

I mumbled a thank you to her as I awkwardly stepped out of the car. I accepted her outstretched hand when I found myself dangerously close to stumbling as soon my feet touched the ground. I turned to her and awkwardly said goodbye before I moved to enter the building.

That was when I felt a pair of arms enveloping me from behind and I felt something soft pressing against my back.

“I’m sorry,” I heard her murmur in my ear, “can we stay like this for a while?”

“Is something wrong?” I asked, frowning. I tried turning around, but her arms held me in place like an iron band. “T-Tiffany?”

There was only silence for a heartbeat before she spoke.

“I like you.”

I blinked, unable to respond. I wondered if I had heard it wrong, but her voice was right by my ear, so I couldn’t be-

“I like you, Jung Wheein,” she breathed and I could hear the relief in her tone, “and I am sorry for disappearing on you after that night.”

My heart clenched as I thought back to that night – the night that we had spent together in each other’s arms; the night I had sworn never to repeat again – for my sake and hers too.

“It was a one-night stand,” I said quietly. “There is nothing to be sorry about…”

“That’s not what it was for me.”

Her voice was harsh and I suddenly felt the arms around my body moved to my shoulders, turning me around sharply to face a very upset-looking Tiffany.

“I wanted more,” she hissed, the swirl of emotions in her eyes were clear as day to me, “and I still do.” She paused and took a deep breath. “I never meant to just leave,” she explained with a hint of desperation in her voice, “I had wanted to take you out on a real date, but…”

Her words falter and she pleaded to me with her eyes. I could see the unshed tears in them and my heart stuttered for her.

“Please understand,” she whispered as her hands moved from my shoulders to gently cup my face, “I really want you, Jung Wheein. You are more than a secretary to me, more than a friend. I want you as my lover, my partner in life. Please give me another chance…”

If she had said all of this the day after we slept together, I would have said yes in a heartbeat. But she disappeared and I fell for someone else. It was already too late.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany,” I said as I removed her hands from my face and took a step back, “I already have someone else in my heart.”

A tear escaped her eye, but Tiffany forced herself to smile. I had every urge to take my words back, but this had to be done – I didn’t want to lie to her; she deserved better than that.

“I understand,” she murmured. Then, she took a deep breath and added, “I won’t be coming in today, so take the day off if you want.”

As soon as the words left , she her heels and walked back to her car.

 

I showered and changed my clothes in my own apartment before heading over to Byul’s.

“Wheein…?”

Byul opened the door with Kkomo in one arm, a surprised look on her face. I would be surprised too – it was daytime and I was supposed to be at work; yet here I was.

I just gave her a weak smile as I walked past her into the apartment and immediately plopped down on the couch. I hugged my legs to my chest and rested my chin on my knees as I stared absent-mindedly at the floor.

“I-Is everything o-okay?” I heard her ask as she sat next to me.

I nodded, not sure if I was able to speak. I played the scene with Tiffany over and over in my head and my heart clenched – I hated breaking someone’s heart and I hated being the reason for someone’s tears.

“H-Hey…”

I looked up at Byul and jolted in surprise when she suddenly reached out to wipe at my face. I frowned, posing a silent question to her.

“Y-You’re crying…” came the soft, but worried answer. “D-Do you want t-to talk about it?”

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. I sighed and shook my head.

“Th-then, a hug?”

I looked at her incredulously. She simply shrugged and opened her arms, letting Kkomo run free towards the floor. I stared at her for a while longer and she chuckled, beckoning with her head.

I rolled my eyes, but a smile tugged at the corner of my lips. Then, I scooted closer until my head was resting under her chin and her arms wrapped around me like a protective cocoon. I hugged her back, nuzzling my face against her neck, inhaling her scent before letting out a contented sigh. I couldn’t help comparing Byul’s embrace to Tiffany’s and I felt the tears threatened to fall again.

We stayed like that for a while before I finally spoke.

“I-I broke someone’s heart today,” my hands tightly gripped at the back of Byul’s shirt as my throat started to close up and the tears slowly fell down my cheeks, “Byul-ah, I made someone cry today because I can’t return their feelings…”

“I-It’s not your f-fault,” Byul’s voice was warm and comforting as she gently my head, “y-you can’t force f-feelings, Wheein-ah…”

I tightened my hold around her and bawled to my heart’s content.

I knew it was silly – it wasn’t my heart that was broken. But I had hurt Tiffany and that was a fact that I have to live with from now on – it was just as hard being the one to break someone’s heart after all.

Hopefully, I would never have to do it again.

______________________________________________________

A/N: Shout out to my friend Rumpy for reviewing the rough draft for me! ^_^