I Like You (Pt. 1)

Secretly Mine

I hit the “Enter” button and pumped my fists up in the air.

“We’re done!” I cried triumphantly and looked up at my secretary who was beaming down at me. “I guess we’re done for the day.”

She looked away from me to stare at the wall clock; it was five past eight.

“Oh, great,” she sighed in relief and started to move away from me, walking past my desk towards the couch to pick up her bag that she had tossed there earlier, “just in time for the last train.”

I felt a little disappointed that I couldn’t spend more time with her – the past three hours had only been filled with discussions about work.

“Wheein…”

She hung her bag over one shoulder and looked towards me with a quizzical smile. “Yes?”

“Will you have a drink with me?” I asked, acutely aware of the trembling in my voice. It was nerve-wrecking enough that she rejected me earlier in the day and I didn’t think I could handle one more rejection right now. When I saw her frown, I quickly added, “To celebrate, I mean.”

She chewed on her bottom lip, hesitating. Then, she glanced at the clock. I knew that she only needed one more push.

“Please, Wheein? Just one drink. If it gets late, I will drive you myself.”

She finally looked at me and then nodded slowly. “Okay, just one drink.”

 

Wheein was a surprisingly strong drinker, but I was stronger.

We both had two drinks each – a glass of beer and a shot of the strongest alcohol in the bar. I was a little tipsy after that shot, but Wheein looked so out of it, her face flushed and her eyes glazed; it actually worried me.

“Wheein…?”

I placed a hand on her shoulder and she slowly turned to look at me, a dazed smile on her face. It was cute how her deep dimple showed and her eyes disappeared when she smiled like that; I caught myself thinking that I didn’t mind seeing it every day for the rest of my life.

I was so lost in that daydream, I was surprised when Wheein suddenly fell head first into my chest. No amount of shaking was able to wake her up and I knew it was time for us to leave.

I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off while wearing a knee-length skirt and high heels, but I gathered every strength in my body and lifted Wheein into my arms (she barely weigh anything!), relishing in the fact that she automatically wrapped her hands around my neck and nuzzled her head against the side of my face, before carefully making my way out of the bar.

Fortunately, I parked my car just a block away from the bar.

It took more than a few wobbled steps, and a spine-tingling shiver from Wheein breathing against my neck, before I safely reached it. I strapped Wheein in the passenger seat and a smile tugged at my lips when she adorably curled her body while hanging on to the seatbelt.

Then, I went to the driver’s side and strapped myself in, ready to drive her home…when I realized that I didn’t know where she lived.

I was tempted to dig through the company’s personnel files – only accessible by the CEO and the administration staffs, apparently, and I was neither. I didn’t know whether Wheein was close with anyone either; not that I knew how to contact any of them anyways.

I glanced at the sleeping beauty beside me and hesitated for a moment before putting the car into gear, heading in the direction of home; my home.

 

Wheein did not even stir when I carried her out of the car and into my house.

Lucky for me, Father was not home or I would have been severely under fire for bringing my drunk secretary home. I had a solid argument set up in my head if I did run into him, so I was good on that front.

It became quite an exercise bringing Wheein up to the second floor where my room was located – I had to kick off my heels or risk breaking both of our necks in the process. After safely climbing up the stairs, I headed straight for my room at the end of the hall.

I carefully placed her on my bed and once again, she curled up into a ball, oblivious to her surroundings as she continued to sleep. I shook my head, smiling to myself. Then, I realized that she was still in her work clothes.

“Hey,” I murmured as I kneeled beside the bed and gently forced her to sit up, “you need to get out of these clothes or you’ll wrinkle them…”

She opened her eyes slightly and flashed me that dimpled smile again. “Byul-ah,” she said in a cutesy voice as she wrapped her hands around my neck and rested her forehead against mine, “I’m sorry I’m late…”

I was stunned.

Is this Byul person the one Wheein likes?

My mood considerably dampened and I was tempted to push her away in anger. But I couldn’t – this was Wheein; sweet, sweet Wheein who would never knowingly hurt someone without a reason. But it still bothered me because it sounded like Wheein and this Byul person seemed to be living together.

“I’m not Byul,” I said, a little too harsh even to my ears, “I’m Tiffany.”

Wheein pulled away slightly and studied my face. I saw it in her eyes – she slowly sobered up and realized her mistake. She let out a surprised gasp and scooted backwards across the queen-size bed, putting a considerable distance between us.

“I-I’m sorry,” she mumbled, fixing her crooked glassed and touching her already messed up hair bun. Then, she looked around and frowned. “Wh-where am I?”

“You’re in my room,” I said quietly as I stood up. I walked away from her and started ing my blouse. I shrugged the silky material off and tossed it on the floor before heading towards the closet on the other side of the room. “This is my house. You were asleep and I couldn’t ask you where you live, so I brought you here.”

“O-Oh…”

I stepped out of my skirt and grabbed two oversized T-shirts from the closet, slipping one on before heading back towards the bed and tossed the other one to her.

“Wear this,” I said curtly as I turned around to head into the bathroom, “I’m going to wash up and then sleep. You can wash up after.”

I locked the bathroom door behind me and let out a ragged sigh.

Wheein didn’t explicitly say that she had someone she liked, but she never denied it either. What was I expecting when I asked her out for a drink?

I was expecting that the person she likes is me.

I let out another sigh and shook my head as I moved to start my nightly routine.

I needed to get used to this – Wheein wasn’t mine and would never be mine. We slept once and never will again. I liked her, but she would never like me back the same way. Yes, I needed to get used to this; get used to the little cracks in my heart whenever I think about her.

I hated how sad I looked in the mirror right now, so I chose to close my eyes and directed my thoughts to a happy memory – the day I first met Wheein.

 

It was six months ago and it was a usual boring day for me. I had decided to drag myself to the rooftop to get some fresh air; it was getting too stuffy inside and I was so close to throwing a childish tantrum in a room full of board directors because they had sticks up their asses and couldn’t accept any form of change.

I actually liked the rooftop – it was quiet and the perfect place to gather your thoughts. Unless those thoughts involved jumping off the building, which could never happen thanks to the fences they had put up around the roof.

The rooftop was bare, except for the small garden kept by the elderly staffs with a penchant for herbs and exotic plants. It was a pity that the smoking men (and sometimes women) would come here on breaks and make a mess of the place. I had to salute those elders for keeping the garden clean each day and not complaining one bit. I had every intention to fine those smokers for littering and tainting the only heavenly spot in this whole damn building, but I was nobody right now – not until I inherit the company from Father.

The garden always helped to calm me down, so naturally, my feet took me in that direction. As I got closer to the garden, however, I heard a sobbing sound.

“Hello?” I timidly called out, afraid that some strange person would suddenly pop out while I was all alone up here. “Who’s there?”

The sobbing sound stopped and a head of messy hair popped out from behind a large pot of plant. She was cute at first glance, but her eyes were red and puffy and her cheeks were flushed and wet; she was definitely the one sobbing just now.

“Wh-who are you?” she asked in a tiny voice as she slowly stood up, hastily wiping away the tear stains on her face. “I-It’s not break time yet, is it?”

I would have felt offended by her ignorance if I wasn’t a little bit concerned about her being all alone on the roof at this time of day; break time was still a couple of hours away.

“It’s not break time yet,” I replied as I took a step towards her, “but I needed the fresh air, so I came here.”

She flinched a little when I continued to advance, but I was relieved when she didn’t run away immediately. She kept staring at me, probably trying to figure out who I was; I supposed she wasn’t that ignorant after all.

I was about an arm’s away from her when I suddenly heard something cracked. I looked down and saw a pair of glasses crushed underneath my high heel. A high-pitched yelp startled me into taking a step back.

“Ah, my glasses!” she cried as she instantly dropped to her knees and grabbed the bent frame with both hands. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she mumbled, “I forgot my spare too…how am I supposed to work now?”

“I-I’ll replace it-”

“No, no, it’s okay,” she said as she stood up and rubbed her eyes, “I need to take the day off anyways.”

She marched past me and I found myself following in her footsteps, feeling unusually helpless and concerned at the same time; her sudden change of attitude mesmerized me instead of turning me off.

Suddenly, she stopped at the door and I was able to halt before I crashed into her. Then, she swiveled around to face me.

“Thank you for your concern, Miss Hwang,” she said in a cold and business-like tone, the crying woman whom I saw back in the garden was now long gone, “please forget what you saw up here. I will not let that happen again. Ever again.”

With a slight bow of her head, she disappeared through the door and I was left gaping after her. Then, a realization dawned on me and I smiled dumbly to myself.

“Hey, she knows my name.”