K. Junmyeon- War in Love

My One Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

War in Love

         Life was not peaceful at the moment. It hasn’t been for a good while now. I miss the old days, when you didn’t fear for your life, didn’t fear being shot on the street while you walked with your children. That’s how we lost our mother. Half a year ago, when the North forced their army upon the city, I and my mother were just walking back from the beach. A soldier from the North wanted to shoot me but my mother jumped in front of me, to save her child. The soldier ran off like nothing happened while I held my mother in my arms, crying and begging for her to stay alive. I’ve been a nurse for five years now, but all my knowledge disappeared the second I saw my mother bleeding. I couldn’t help her, she left us. My father? My father disappeared after my little sister, Yeri, was born. My mother never told us what happened, but Irene, my eldest sister, and I think that he was a spy for the South and he got caught by the North. That means one thing, he’s long dead. So now we have no one else but just the three of us and Mrs. Young, the old kind lady who brings us some products every week and helps Yeri with her homework if she’s in need. To our luck, even if we are orphans now, we have a house to live in and Irene and I have a job, all Yeri has to worry about for now is school. I hate the North with all my heart, they destroyed the city almost twice and took away the two most important people in my life, my mother and father. After losing our mother, I swore I’d do anything to keep Irene and Yeri safe, if it means sacrificing myself, I will do that.

It was a Wednesday afternoon, Irene and I were buzzing around the bakery while Yeri was drawing something in the back room. Yes, bakery. Our mother had an American friend that taught us how to make bread and ever since we are the only ones that make it in the city. Not many people like it, I prefer rice too, but sometimes it feels good to eat something different.

“You need to take out the bread, it’s done!” Irene called from behind the counter, her hair in a messy ponytail as strands were falling on her face. Today we had a busy day, busier than usual. Good thing I was free from the Hospital today, otherwise I’m sure Irene would have collapsed by the evening.

“Done!” I called back, carefully taking out the plate with the bread on it from the oven. It was hot and it wouldn’t be the first time that I burn myself. For being a nurse, I’m quite clumsy sometimes.

“Can I go out later with Baekhyun?” Yeri asked, leaning against the doorway as she watched me.

“Again with that troublemaker?” Irene raised her eyebrows as she whizzed past her, coming to my side.

“But he’s my friend” Yeri whined as Irene took the knife out of my hand.

“I’ll cut it, make sure the next round of bread is in the oven” She muttered, her voice always soft and stern. While between Irene and I is a three year difference, between her and Yeri is ten. I glanced at Yeri amused as she kept glaring at Irene’s back. It was an unspoken rule, but Irene was the boss, probably because she’s the eldest. If all three of us are home, Yeri asks for permission from Irene, if Irene isn’t home, I’m the one responsible. But I usually let Yeri do whatever she wants, as long as it’s safe and not stupid, so she knows she doesn’t really have to ask for permission. Once she left without telling me a thing and was gone after nightfall, Irene was ready to set the whole city on fire just to find her. It was my fault as well because I had no idea where she was. Since then, Yeri isn’t allowed to leave the house after eight in the evening. Even though Yeri was at Baekhyun, doing whatever they were doing.

“Friend or not, you know I don’t like him” Irene said, eyes on the bread as she meticulously cut it.

“Irene, it’s just Baekhyun. I don’t think they’d do anything unaccepted” I tried to help Yeri out while I covered the bread and opened the oven.

“Do you know what Mrs. Young told me?” Irene threw the knife on the table, eyebrows furrowed. Yeri looked at the floor, a blush forming on her cheeks.

“Mrs. Young found that Byun boy and Yeri skinny dipping, in daylight!” Irene’s voice rose as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. Mrs. Young lived just by the beach, her house facing the sea. While our house was at the end of the street so that means we had an insight into the market.

“What’s wrong with that?” Yeri shrugged but still glared at the floor.

“Yeri!” Irene’s face contorted into anger “He is a boy! Do you know what the others would think if they found out? They’d call you a , Yeri”

“Since when do we care about what others think?” Yeri snapped, looking Irene in the eyes, “Mom raised us saying we shouldn’t care about this judgemental society”

“Mom isn’t here anymore” Irene snapped, marching up to Yeri “And until you turn eighteen, I’m the one that needs to take care of you and not her! I know what’s best for you”

“Because you are older?” Yeri scoffed as she took a step back. I sighed, rolling my eyes. It isn’t a normal day if they don’t argue.

“Can you stop?” I spoke up, making the girls look at me “It’s not like you never did things that weren’t accepted by the society, Irene. She’s still a kid, let her have fun. Yeri, you can go out with Baekhyun but by the curfew you must be back, okay?”

“Thank you” Yeri grinned at me, throwing Irene a smug look. I shook my head as I watched the youngest walk away to her room.

“Seriously?” Irene raised her eyebrows “Why can you not take my side, just once?”

“I always take your side, Irene” I furrowed my eyebrows, “Let her be, she needs to learn from her own mistakes, not from those we teach her”

“The Byun boy...you know well he’s bad news. Last week he stole from Mr. Han” Irene lowered her voice, stepping closer to me, “I don’t want my sister to be associated with bad people”

“You know they like each other…” I trailed off as Irene rolled her eyes. She went back to cutting the bread as I sighed and tied my hair in a ponytail. I should probably clean the house again. It’s only three girls living here, but the dust coming from outside is annoying.

As I started to walk towards the living room, loud engine sounds resonated in the air. The ground shook for a second as did all the windows in the house. It happened in a second that I made eye contact with Irene.

“Yeri!” Irene’s voice was loud as it echoed in the house before the sirens started ringing loudly. Yeri came running from her room as shooting sounds echoed loudly outside.

“Quickly! Move!” Irene gripped Yeri’s wrist as I ran at the front, opening the door that lead to the basement. We quickly raced down the stairs after Irene locked the door and I ran to the corner where we kept our things. I took the petroleum lamp and lit it, Yeri cuddling into my side. Irene took the blankets and handed us one as she wrapped herself in one.

“Why is this happening again?” All three of us flinched as there were loud sounds coming from upstairs, the ground shaking.

“We are in a war, Yeri” I muttered, hugging her to my side underneath the blanket “As long as we stick together, we’ll be fine”

“If they destroy the bakery” Irene’s voice broke as tears filled her eyes “I swear to God, I, myself will kill every single soldier from the North”

“Why are they doing this?” Yeri sighed, looking at Irene and me with big eyes.

“No one knows” Irene and me shared a knowing look as Yeri just gripped onto me tighter.

“I hope Baekhyun is fine” She whispered into my side. I looked down at her and kissed her temple.

“As long as he’s in a basement, he’ll be fine” I tried to reassure her.

“He’s never at home” Yeri sniffled and I just looked down at her with pity, comfortingly rubbing her back.

“It’s going to be okay” Irene stretched her hand out, gripping mine and Yeri’s intertwined ones, “We are going to be okay”

By the time the sirens stopped Yeri fell asleep cuddled between Irene and I. My head was resting on top of hers as Irene sighed.

“It’s quiet” She whispered, careful to not wake Yeri.

“It’s over” I muttered, lifting my head “We should go up”

“No, not yet” Irene’s eyes snapped at me, eyebrows furrowed with worry “Do you think…”

“The bakery is fine, Irene” I tried to smile but deep inside me, I knew if we lost the bakery, it would be the end for us “We are fine too, everything will be okay”

“We shouldn’t go up yet” Irene said with a firm not and I looked at the stairs that led to the door.

“But...there will be victims, I have to go to the Hospital” I tried reasoning with Irene but she was quick to shake her head.

“No, Y/N, not yet. Not until they come looking for you” Her soft voice had an edge that I knew I couldn’t argue with. I sighed and moved around a little, careful not to wake Yeri. Irene just stared ahead as we waited in silence, afraid for our own lives and bakery, our home.

There were loud knocks at the door that made all three of us jump. Irene’s eyes widened as Yeri slowly started waking up. I opened my mouth to say something but Irene quickly gripped my arm.

“We don’t know who it is” She mouthed and motioned to Yeri to be quiet.

“Irene? Yeri? Y/N!” It was a male voice, the knocks turned into pounding “It’s me, Minseok! Kim Minseok!”

“It’s Minseok” I said with a shaky breath, untangling myself from Yeri and the warmth of the blanket.

“Minseok!” I called loudly, assuring the boy that we were alright.

“Y/N, we have to head to the Hospital, Dr. Oh needs us” Minseok called through the locked door. I quickly ran up the stairs but turned back before unlocking it.

“Don’t wait for me, I’ll be gone for a while probably. You should sleep here, just to be sure” With that, I unlocked the door and came face to face with Minseok’s worried form.

“Thank God you are okay” He breathed out as he gripped my shoulders and looked over my face.

“I’m fine, let’s go” I offered him a small smile and we quickly took off, running to Minseok’s run down motorcycle. This time we didn’t wear helmets, if Minseok was in such a hurry, the number of injured ones must be high.

“What happened?” I shouted over the rusty engine of the motorcycle.

“I was at the pub, drinking a beer with Jongin when it happened. It was a surprise attack and I’m afraid our soldiers couldn’t keep them out this time” Minseok’s voice was grave as he spoke, my arms tightened around his torso.

“Does that mean...the North finally took over the city?” I bit my lower lip as I felt myself starting to shake. Those people who killed my parents, they are here to kill us all again.

“I’m afraid, yes” Minseok stopped the engine of the motorcycle as he parked in front of the Hospital.

“I don’t have my attire on me” I muttered as we got off the motorcycle.

“Probably no one has it, here” He handed me some white material with a red cross “Strap this on”

I followed Minseok as I strapped the white material to my forearm, trying to pull my hair in a bun that would resist the madness that I was about to step in. However, Minseok lead us around the Hospital, going to the back where usually there was just an empty field. Sometimes we’d take the elderly out here and chat with them.

“Where are we going?” I asked confused as the empty field now was covered with huge tents, some looking like some sort of barracks.

“The soldiers were moved here, there are too many people in the Hospital already. Dr. Zhang set it up as quickly as he could, he said he didn’t need the poor people to see such horrific things” Minseok rambled on as we stopped at the entrance to the barracks, a soldier looking at us with a frown.

“Who are you?” He asked, voice tired and deep.

“The nurses, please let us in, Sir” Minseok said with a bow and the soldier took a double take until his eyes landed on the material on both of our arms.

“Very well, Dr. Oh is in the first tent, Dr. Zhang is in the barracks” The soldier told us and I bowed as I hurried in after Minseok.

“I’ll go to the back, see you around Minseok” I called and Minseok nodded as he headed to the tent where Dr. Oh was. The stench was horrible, just like always. The air smelt like death, something I always hated. The wails and cries for help were always the most horrible thing. Even after all this time, I still felt my heart breaking.

“Dr. Zhang!” I shouted as I hurried inside the barrack the soldier instructed us to. The Doctor was stitching up someone, his hands moving fast like never before.

“Miss Bae, please go and help the other nurses” His voice was rushed and I nodded, my eyes falling on Miss Park. I quickly hurried over as she was giving some injection to a soldier.

“Miss Park” I called as I neared her. Her head shot into my direction, eyebrows furrowed.

“That one, take care of that soldier, he’s wounded” She instructed, finger pointing at a bed across from me. I nodded and quickly hurried to the soldier. His skin was dirty, his uniform at his torso torn and bloody.

“Sir” I called out, checking if he was conscious still or not “Sir, I’m here to clean you up”

“Who” His voice was faint, eyes barely opened.

“You will have to hold on, this will hurt” I in a deep breath as I tore his shirt open and inspected the wounds. Three gunshots. One only scratched his side, one was deep in his abdomen, close to his lungs and the other in the shoulder.

“Am I going to die?” He crocked out, hands shaking as he tried to catch my wrist.

“Not if it depends on me” I snapped, feeling the adrenaline rush through my veins. I took the bullet extractor as the soldier successfully gripped the skirt of my dress.

“I have to stay alive, my fiance--” He choked as he started coughing. I wasted no more time, taking the bullet out of his shoulder. The soldier hissed as I took the second bullet out too. I took the alcohol and turned the right amount on the wounds, making the soldier hiss.

“You are going back to your fiance, you have my word” I told him, looking him in the eyes. His eyes were glistening from the pain but probably from my words too, “Tell me about her”

I took the needle and thread we use for stitching and leaned closer to the man’s torso.

“She’s tall and petite--” The soldier chocked on his words as the needle pierced his skin, “V-very pre--” He choked a little as I pierced his skin again with the needle.

“Don’t stop” I muttered, carefully stitching him up.

“Pretty, she’s really...pretty” He groaned as I pulled a little harshly on the thread making sure it wouldn’t come undone.

“One more wound to stitch and you’ll be able to see her” I sent a glance at the soldier as he groaned.

“Her eyes are sharp and she has plump lips--” He choked once again on his words as the needle pierced his skin. His words turned into mumbles and groans, I couldn’t understand the rest. But I did successfully stitch him up and bandage the scratch.

“Thank you” He breathed out once I was done, eyes glistening.

“Rest now, soldier. We’ll check on you tomorrow, I might bring your fiance here if you heal well” I offered him a small smile and saw as hope blossomed in his teary eyes. He nodded and let go of my skirt as I turned around to go to the next soldier. The closest to me was trying to get off the bed and I quickly rushed to him, eyes wide.

“What are you doing? Get back, soldier!” I snapped, catching his arms before he could fall off the bed.

“It burns and itches so much” He groaned, gripping his left arm.

“Lay down so that I can help you” I said sternly and with my help, he laid back down. I cut the fabric of his uniform with the scissors from the table. I bit my lip as I saw the horrible burn on his arm. I couldn’t do much, the worst was already done.

“You must stay here, I need to bring the medicine” I looked the soldier in the eyes and quickly rushed to the cupboard that provided us with different types of medicine. I couldn’t do much, perhaps rub some eggs on the burns but nothing else. Only Dr. Zhang could help him further. I rushed back to the soldier and broke the eggs, letting the albumen to seep into the burns. The soldier fidgeted around with quiet whines.

“The doctor will come to help you further” I said as I looked around for Dr. Zhang. Once spotting him, I quickly raced towards him.

“Dr. Zhang, a patient has serious burns, you must see him now” I said, the doctor's eyes widened.

“It’s the fourth row” I told him as he rushed past me, almost knocking me over. The door to the barrack opened and in came Dr. Oh, his tall frame stopping the light from coming inside through the opened door.

“Miss Bae, come and help me” He said once his eyes landed on me. I nodded and followed after him as we walked down the many aisles with injured soldiers. We came to a stop in front of an unconscious man.

“Hold him, I need to stitch his back” Dr. Oh’s raspy voice was harsh as he raised the soldier into a sitting position. I quickly held the man, making sure he didn’t fall over. Dr. Oh quickly got to work, his hands not moving as fast as Dr. Zhang’s, his work always more precise than Dr. Zhang. In situations like this, however, being fast was a must. I watched Dr. Oh work, my eyes falling on the unconscious man’s face. His skin was pale, paler than my sister’s, Irene’s. He was close to death, Dr. Oh will do his best, but he needs to do his best as well. As my eyes raked over the face of the soldier, they fell on his uniform. A light green with black stripes. My eyebrows furrowed as they snapped back at Dr. Oh.

“Dr. Oh?” I called as I looked back at the soldier to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.

“Yes, Miss Bae? Is he heavy?” He spoke without looking at me.

“Do you have any idea who you are stitching up?” I asked, my voice dropping a few octaves.

“Yes, an injured soldier” Dr. Oh’s voice didn’t give anything away, so he is just as clueless as I was a few seconds ago.

“A North soldier” I muttered, Dr. Oh’s hands paused for a second.

“I know” He muttered quietly and my eyes widened.

“You know? Why are you helping him?” I exclaimed, outraged by Dr. Oh’s behavior.

“I’m a doctor and you are a nurse, Miss Bae. It does not matter who you have in front of you if they are injured, enemy or not, we must help him” Dr. Oh’s voice held finality but I quickly shook my head.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter