K. Jongin- Silhouettes

My One Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Silhouettes Warnings: none, just some ty fluff      

 The loud voices were blending into one shrill scream, making my ears tingle in pain. Like always, it was dark, I couldn’t see a thing. But the voices and the smell in the air was too strong for me to not feel it, it felt like something was rooting beside me but I couldn’t see it, and I knew I would never see it. Then suddenly, everything turned quiet and I could finally hear my own, ragged, breathing.

“Sweetie”

“Mom?” I called out into the darkness, confused for a second.

“Yes, it’s mom” Mom’s voice was quiet, almost depressed.

“What’s wrong?” I asked more confused.

“I’m so sorry,Y/N” Her voice was breaking, slowly turning into quiet sobs “If I took more care of myself…you wouldn’t–you wouldn’t be like this now! I ruined your life and now–”

“Mom” I mumbled, reaching out to grasp her but my fingers met nothing, the darkness feeling darker than before “It’s not your fault, you know that. No one blames you, I don’t either”

“But–but you’ll never be able to see and now I am–”

Something wet fell on my cheek. My eyebrows furrowed as it dropped again, what was happening? Where was I? There was no smell in the room and the only voice was my breathing and my mother’s quiet sobs.

“Mom?” She didn’t answer as the wet little drops kept falling more and more on my cheek.

You will never be able to see, tauntingly, the words kept repeating over and over again, causing my head to spin. Before I could call out for help, a sudden splash of cold water hit my face.

I shoot up in my bed, heart beating fast. Another nightmare? Great. There was a quiet shuffling beside me before I felt that wet thing again on my cheek.

“Ew” I groaned, hand coming in contact with my dog’s fur “I’m up, stop. Coco, stop!”

Hand running through her fur, down her spine, Coco barked appreciatively.

“Thanks for waking me up…” I muttered, running my fingers through my hair “I wonder what time it is”

Coco just barked as she pulled the blanket off me and I groaned. Reaching out for my phone, I was distracted by Coco’s bark, and my hand collided with the edge of the nightstand. I hissed as a sting went through my hand.

“See, it’s because you distracted me” I looked towards where Coco was, only to be greeted with silence. As my hand made contact with my phone, the alarm suddenly went off, making me jump. 8am, perfect.

Raising from the bed, I steadied myself on both legs, stretching a little bit. Taking a deep breath, I walked towards the windows, feeling around for the handle. Standing in the light, I could slightly make out the figures of the window, as for a little time the darkness I would always see, was flooded with slight light. I opened the window and in some fresh air, ready for a new day.

After getting ready for the day, I went grocery shopping with Coco, like every morning, had some breakfast and then went out for a little walk before coming back home to get my equipment. In one hour, the dance class would start and I should get there before the kids do. Placing all the necessary things on Coco, I took my backpack and left the apartment, making sure to lock the door firstly. I descended the stairs carefully, aware of my surroundings as Coco waited for me patiently. There was a quiet jingle of keys and I stopped abruptly, listening carefully.

“Y/N, darling” It was Mrs. Bae, an extremely lovely, old lady.

“Good morning, Mrs. Bae” I greeted her with a smile on my face, trying to locate where she was. Her breathing was getting louder as she was probably coming closer and when I felt her perfume, I knew she was standing in front of me.

“How are you, Mrs. Bae?” I asked, holding onto Coco’s leash tighter, knowing that Mrs. Bae is scared of dogs.

“Amazing, and you?” Her voice was warm, I registered some shuffling move and then first felt the warm radiating off Mrs. Bae before I felt her hand gripping my wrist. Her hands were always soft, a contrast to her wrinkled hands.

“Do you need any help?” She asked quietly, worry lacing her voice.

“No, don’t worry. I can handle myself” I let a small smile cross my lips as I stared at nothing, all I saw was darkness. If the light is strong enough I can actually make out shapes and forms but most of the time it’s darkness all I see.

“Have a lovely day” Mrs. Bae patted my cheek before she carefully walked past me and I stood there for a few minutes, until I could hear her keys and door closing.

“Let’s go, Coco” I mumbled, stepping down the few stairs I still had “We can’t be late…again”

The walk to the little dance studio was bumpier than any other time, I even ran into two people. Coco was good at guiding me through masses of people but today it felt like she’s been extremely distracted. There is too much noise in opened spaces like this for me to easily navigate on my own around, that’s why I need Coco’s help most of the time. I couldn’t have been more happier when we finally got to the dance studio, I quickly hurried to the office, knowing my way around.

“Hey, Y/N!” A deep voice called from beside me as I passed in a hurry and I threw my head back, trying to smile at the same time.

“Hi, Chanyeol!” I called back to the drums instructor.

“Late again?” That evil cackle could only come from Jongdae, obviously, a vocal trainer but also Chanyeol’s band mate.

“And I’ll be more late if you keep standing in my way” I snapped at Jongdae and he just laughed.

“I’m not even standing in your way–and you are dragging poor Coco after you” At that I paused to take a deep breath and calm my quickly beating heart. Keeping the kids back for five minutes won’t hurt anyone.

“How late am I?” I asked, eyebrows furrowing as we started walking again but at a normal speed.

“You are not late”

“Jongdae!” I exclaimed, whirling around and successfully slapping his biceps hard.

“That’s not fair!” He whined loudly, probably clutching onto his arm as I heard the shuffling of material “How can you hit me when you can’t even see me?”

“My other senses are heightened, you dummy” I scoffed and stopped abruptly, realizing that I wasn’t keeping check of where I was going.

“Jongdae” I muttered, pursing my lips as I turned around, trying to locate where he was “Where are we?”

“In front of the office, why?” He asked casually and I heard slurping before a light scent of coffee hit my nose.

“I lost track of where I was going” I sighed, opening the door as I walked inside, Jongdae hot on my tail as Coco started barking at whoever was inside.

“You need to keep it down with the coffee” I muttered to him, when I felt another person in the room. My ears perked up but Coco’s barking was blocking pretty much other noises from me.

“It’s only my second cup” There was a screeching sound and a little bump, probably Jongdae sat down at the circle table. Walking to my locker, I opened it and placed my backpack inside, raising my head at the new sound. It was coming from the far end of the room and I realized it was probably Sehun at his locker, the other dance instructor.

“Coco, come here” I called softly, patting her head when she obeyed. I pulled her leash off, placing it inside the locker and felt her walk away.

“Coco” The raspy voice greeted my dog and I smiled at it, leaning against my locker as I turned towards them. It was quiet in the room as Jongdae kept slurping his coffee and Sehun played around with Coco, I almost forgot I had to go to class.

“Sehun, I can hear you making faces at Coco, stop” I rolled my eyes, and for a second it was quiet until Jongdae started laughing deafeningly loudly.

“How did you know!” Sehun exclaimed, frustration betraying his usually leveled voice.

“Didn’t I just say I heard you?” I chuckled, pushing off the locker as I took my bottle of water.

“But how” He muttered and I just chuckled again.

“My secret, take care of Coco for me” I maneuvered around the table, almost colliding into Jongdae’s chair when he abruptly pushed it back.

“You owe me more than one” Sehun scoffed and I quickly walked out with a laugh, heading for my class.

“Isn’t it dangerous to walk around without Coco?” Jongdae was behind me, voice raised a little bit.

“Are you seriously going to ask me every day this question?” I would have rolled my eyes at Jongdae if I wasn’t in a hurry.

“Yeah, I worry about your safety, of course I will!” He exclaimed and I stopped, realizing I should be at my class already. Raising my hand to my chest, I slowly extended it to push it against the door, searching for my sign that it was my class. Once I felt it, I grinned satisfied.

“Thank you, but worrying makes you lose brain cells and age faster…so stop worrying” I winked at where I thought Jongdae was standing at, his warmth was coming from that direction, and pushed open the door to my class. A little light sparked to my left and my eyebrows furrowed. The kids were especially loud today and I felt around for the lightswitch.

“Who the lights?” I called after clearing out my throat, the kids loud voices dying down.

“They were already on” A boy answered, Yuta, I realized from his voice.

“Really?” I asked surprised, walking further inside “Why did you not turn them off? I told you many times the lights in here are stronger and you can switch them on only if I am here, okay?”

“Sorry, Miss Choi!” The kids chorused and a small smile painted my lips as I walked further inside, this room being my second home. I know this place like myself.

“Do you still remember what was last week’s choreography?” I asked as I walked between the little kids, careful not to run into one. Their breaths were a good guidance and I patted the top of their heads.

“Yes!” A girl, Hana, called rather loudly, making me smile.

“Great, we’ll do a little warm up and then we’ll dance to that and after learn something new?” I walked to the front of the room, fingertips brushing against the mirror to make sure I’m standing far enough not to bump into it.

“Yes!” The little kids called excitedly and I the music, the other senses being cut off as I trusted that the kids followed whatever I was doing.

The warm up didn’t last longer than five minutes and after we did last week’s choreography it was time to learn something new.

“Okay, take two steps closer, please” I called out as the kids stopped speaking between them.

“I’ll turn on the lights so you know the rules!” I turned around, narrowing my eyes as I moved them from one end of the room to the other “You can’t turn around while the lights are on and most importantly, you must not look into it, okay? Or else I will see!”

“We know” The kids mumbled and I smiled as I walked to the switches and switched on all the lights in the back, walking back to my previous spot.

The room was flooded with light, and suddenly, I could make out twelve little silhouettes, waiting impatiently for me to start today’s lesson.

“Okay, right leg goes out” I started teaching, one hand raised to get their attention.

“Left hand to your chest” I paused, narrowing my eyes, to see everyone copying my position.

“Twist your right knee inside and then make a big turn while your left hand comes down in soft circles” And like that, the kids followed along and soon enough, they learned whatever I had planned for them today. They were excited at my choice of song and as soon as I demonstrated to them how it’s supposed to be danced to with music, they were back to their spots, ready to do it as well.

“Three times with me and then alone!” I called as I turned up the music, going back to my place.

“Oh, careful!” I called as I almost ran into Heechan, who decided to come more to the front.

“Pay attention!” I called out, raising my hand to count back when they needed to start dancing. And like that, I let the music flow through my veins, make me feel alive. I turned at the sharp sounds of the music and moved my legs without a break, hands following the pattern they were supposed to.

Once it was their turn to dance alone, I asked them to go to the front while I stayed back and watched in the mirror as the little, white, silhouettes were fidgeting.

“Don’t worry!” I called out, eyebrows furrowing when I saw a figure hunched “Be calm, no one is going to bite your heads off!”

At the right time, the kids started dancing at the same time, moves rigid as they still need training. The loud music blended with the thumping of their little feet and I found myself smiling, distracted by the patterns their feet were drawing.

I asked them to repeat it at least three more times, as class was nearing its end. As I walked to the switches to turn them off, a white silhouette on my right moved abruptly. The kids were still happily talking, but I could feel something different in the room. Turning the lights off, I pretended to walk around, as kids were slowly changing their shoes. The room was becoming more quiet and then, I heard a harder footstep.

“Heechan” I called out sharply, stopping abruptly.

“Uhm…yes?” His breathing sounded too fast for someone who stopped dancing two minutes ago.

“What are you doing?” I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

“Nothing” He muttered quickly, a lie obviously.

“Are you changing?” I walked closer to him, paying attention for the weird noises.

“Of course!” He exclaimed almost too soon and I clicked my tongue.

“How about you stop lying and help Jisung off the floor?” I glared, hopefully, at Heechan. Walking this close, I could hear the quiet whimpers leaving Jisung’s lips.

“I’m–I’m not doing anything” Heechan stuttered, the whole room quiet.

“I don’t tolerate bullying, Heechan” I lowered to be eye level with him “You come here to have fun, to form a passion. Not to steal a passion from someone, do you understand?”

“Ye-yeah” He gulped louder and stepped away, running off to probably change.

“Jisung” I muttered with a quiet sigh, feeling around the floor until my hand made contact with an ankle.

“Noona” Jisung whined, gripping my fingers with his little fingers “Heechan is so mean”

“What did he say?” I asked, helping Jisung to sit up.

“That I dance bad and should never come here again” Jisung said in a small voice and I sighed. I leaned closer to him and placed two fingers against his eyelids, which were wet.

“Look me in the eyes”

“I am” Jisung sighed and I smiled at him, cupping his chubby cheeks.

“You need to stop listening to Heechan. I turn on the lights to see you, and I can see you, Jisung. You dance well, so don’t listen to him. If you are uncomfortable, you can go to Yixing’s class”

“No, I like noona the best” I chuckled at his words, patting his cheeks “And hyung has big, scary kids as his students…I don’t want to go there”

“But hyung is an amazing dancer, later when you grow, you must go to him and Sehun. Ask them to teach you everything they know so that you can become a star”

“Really?” Jisung’s voice seemed to return to life as he sounded more cheerful.

“Really” I nodded, a serious expression crossing my features, at least I hope it’s serious.

“Let’s get up now, your parents are waiting for you…and Coco is waiting for me” I chuckled, helping the little boy up, who gave me a quick hug and quickly ran off.

Smiling to myself, I dusted my pants and walked around the room, turning on the music once again. After feeling like I got out my frustrations and creating a new, short, choreography for the kids, I turned off everything and locked the door.

Hands trailing against the walls, I walked back to the office, beware of those around me.

“Done?” The raspy voice asked as soon as I stepped in and I was taken aback when Coco’s paws landed on my waist.

“Coco” I chuckled, ruffling her fur as I pushed her off me.

“Yeah, I’m done” I answered Sehun, walking further inside.

“We have a new dance instructor” He muttered from the table, nails clicking against it rhythmically.

“Really? Aren’t we three enough?” I chuckled and I heard Sehun scoff, no doubt he rolled his eyes too.

“Well, do you teach ballet? I’m sure Yixing doesn’t and I sure as hell, don’t”

“Ballet?” I asked surprised, opening my locker “That’s a new one”

“I know, Minseok said he wanted to spice things up”

“Or he got bored of us already” I laughed as Sehun chuckled quietly at that, hissing a little.

“Leave Coco alone, you demon!” I yelped as I turned around with a fierce glare, snapping my locker shut.

“Vivi is better” He muttered and I rolled my eyes, calling out for Coco “And can you not glare at me? It’s scary”

“Because my eyes look soulless?” I muttered quietly, feeling a little bit disappointed by Sehun’s words.

“Of course not, it’s just scary how you always glare directly at me, never even once missing me”

“It’s a talent, I can’t get rid of it” I tried to joke, trying to brush off the bitterness I felt. I’d be crazy if I said I never wanted to see the light, the people, the faces, everything. When I was born I couldn’t see a thing, all my life I have known what darkness was. When I turned eight, I had an eye surgery but the most the doctors could do was help me see, if the light was strong enough…and that barely happened. Besides, I prefer pure darkness than having to see silhouettes, it’s very disturbing and distracting for my brain. All I wish for is either see normally or not see a thing.

“Take care, yeah?” Sehun’s words seemed to snap me out of my thoughts, his expensive perfume close to my nose.

“Always, don’t worry” I wanted to pat his shoulder but missed it a few centimeters, patting his firm chest instead.

“What a spot to touch” Sehun snickered when I groaned and pulled on Coco’s leash to leave.

“Let’s go, Coco. Sehun is planning how to kidnap you, I have a feeling” At that Sehun laughed loudly, and quite ugly, the sound following us out into the hallway.

“Let’s go home, Coco” I patted her head, kissing the top of it “Home”

There was a single bark and suddenly Coco was pulling me after her. It’s weird, she’s never this eager to leave. I walked after her, tripping a few times as she tried to speed up. What’s with her?

“Coco, why are you going so fast?” I knew a dog couldn’t answer me but I still asked her. Eyebrows furrowed, I stumbled around the corner, gasping when my shoulder collided with the wall.

“Coco, seriously you–” My words were cut off by my loud gasp as I smacked head first into a warm, broad and good smelling chest. The scent was different, I have never felt it around here before.

“Coco?” I asked as the stranger’s hands gripped my shoulders.

“Miss, are you okay?” His voice was smooth, velvety and I gulped.

“Where’s Coco?” I asked, worry starting to fill me as I stepped back. The stranger still held onto my shoulders.

“You mean…her?” One hand was gone from my shoulder, and I guess he pointed at Coco.

“Uhm…if it’s the dog then yes…” I muttered quietly, growing embarrassed. I had never been embarrassed because of my blindness before, but something about this stranger felt…warm. Maybe his body, well built body probably, his chest definitely agreed with my thoughts.

“Perhaps you don’t…see?” His voice got quiet and I my lips before nodding slowly.

“Oh my god!” He exclaimed, startling me “I’m sorry! I wasn’t paying attention! I should have known since there’s a dog with you–”

“It’s alright” It was my turn to pat his shoulder and he seemed to relax but remain tense at the same time “Since I didn’t recognize you, seems like you haven’t been here before”

“Yeah” He muttered and there was shuffling beside us and then Coco barked twice.

“What?” My eyebrows furrowed as I extended my hand to feel her fur, but to my surprise it collided with another hand.

“Oh” I gasped flustered, pulling my hand away like it was fire I touched “Sorry”

“Your dog is cute…her name is Coco?” The stranger asked, I could hear a smile in his voice.

“Yeah, but not because she likes drugs…neither do I…” At that he started laughing and I couldn’t hold back my quiet giggles, his laugh beautiful and contagious.

“She’s really cute and lovely” He said and I nodded.

“Sorry once again” His voice turned softer, almost sheepish “I’ll make sure to keep an extra eye open the next time”

“Next time?” I asked a little confused, who is this man?

“I have to hurry now, can’t be late” The warmness brushed past me, leaving cold air as he quickly hurried away.

“At least I’m not the only one late” I chuckled to myself, strangely missing the warmth radiating off him. It never happened before, everyone is warm, they have different warmness, and yet his is special…feels special. It’s a warm that burns but not to burn you, hurt you, but to protect you, love you. My heart seemed to skip a beat and I furrowed my eyebrows, why am I acting weirdly? Aren’t I weird enough?

“Coco, let’s go now for real” I took the leash in my hands again “And no funny tricks this time, okay?”

   It was another beautiful day, perfect to take Coco out for a walk. Dressing up in some comfortable clothes, I pulled my hair in a ponytail and placed Coco’s leash on her.

“Coco, do you want to go to the park?” I asked her as I locked the front door, placing the keys in my pocket. There was no answer from Coco as she started walking, helping me around. I took a deep breath, enjoying the warmness of the sun. It felt amazing to feel it on my skin, warming my body instantly. The birds were chirping, cars rolling by as Coco lead the way to her favourite park. We stumbled upon it one evening, when we were both bored of staying inside and decided to take a longer walk. It was a fifteen minute walk, behind the apartment complexes. The aura here was really calming, the place quiet and both Coco and I liked it. Since then, we’ve been coming here whenever we felt bored, or I did at least. Staying out in the fresh air was definitely better than staying inside my stuffed apartment. I like sitting on the grass and staring into the sun, the light powerful enough to make me see the shapes of clouds if there’s any.

Once getting to the park, I let Coco walk around as I followed her quietly, the light strong enough to make out the forms of people. The playground was full with little kids and their parents as we passed by. Coco started barking all of a sudden, startling me.

“What’s wrong?” I muttered as I dragged her away from the playground gates, walking underneath the big willow tree.

“You shouldn’t bark around little kids, Coco” I scolded her as I took a seat on the warm grass, the sunlight warmed it up “You can scare them, Coco”

Coco only sniffed around me as I leaned down in the grass, staring up at the sky. The sunlight was almost burning on my skin, but it was a reassuring feeling, something I grew used to. Opening my eyes, I gazed up at the sun, the darkness flooded with light. I smiled, able to see a few light shapes of the small clouds. I wish I could actually see them, see the light.

Coco suddenly fidgeted beside me and I turned towards her, “Everything alright?”

She barked once before pulling on her leash, “Coco, what’s wrong?”

As I rose into a sitting position, the leash accidentally untangled from my fingers and there was another bark before I heard Coco’s paws padding away.

“Wait!” I called out startled, heart beating fast “Coco!”

I felt around with my hands in the grass, aware that Coco already left. With a quickly beating heart, I got up from the grass, taking a few cautious steps around.

“Coco! Where did you go!” I called out, starting to walk towards the voices coming from the playground. Coco never ran away before, it’s not in her nature to do something like this.

“Coco, please!” I called out again, trying to focus on more voices “Come back! It’s not funny!”

I couldn’t hear any barking and I stopped suddenly, taking deep breaths. I can ask around and see if anyone saw her. She will come back, she knows I need her.

“Coco!” I called out again, turning in a circle to no avail. Sighing, I started walking once again towards the playground, accidentally running into a bench on the sidewalk. I his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter