Chapter 7: Realizations

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

 

Zhiruo jumped as she recognized the voice, and she hurriedly stuffed the book back into the pile, making a show of restacking the pile neatly in place.

 

“Your Highness, Third Prince.” She greeted, curtseying politely. Prince Yifan looked at her curiously, confusion etched on his face.

 

“You look nervous.” He commented. Zhiruo gulped and shook her head.

 

“Of course not.” She replied quickly, “Your Highness must be imagining things.” Prince Yifan studied her carefully for a moment before shrugging.

 

“Have you seen my brother?” He asked. Zhiruo shook her head, clasping her hands together to prevent them from trembling.

 

“If you will excuse me.” She said quickly, hurrying for the door. As she reached the door, her gaze fell once more on the stack of books containing her father’s writing.

 

Perhaps it would be okay to ask Prince Yifan.

 

“Highness?” Zhiruo asked, turning back to the third prince. The older man turned to look at her, and Zhiruo took a deep breath before continuing.

 

“I noticed that Prince Yixing has a book from Gongsun Jing on his desk.” She said, “But when I was in the palace, I heard that Lord Gongsun’s entire family was massacred for a supposed role in a rebellion to take the throne. Ever since then, few people dare to openly have anything to do with that man. Why does the prince have a book from him?” Yifan smiled faintly.

 

“You are correct in saying that few dare to be associated with Lord Gongsun.” He replied, “Since you have earned Yixing’s trust, I suppose it will be alright to tell you. Lord Gongsun was Yixing’s teacher and mentor, who guided him in many things during his early life. Up until his death, Lord Gongsun was arguably the person that Yixing admired the most. It is no surprise that Yixing still keeps his book around.” Yifan sighed and shook his head.

 

“It’s a shame.” He said, “Lord Gongsun was framed for aiding in a rebellion that he had no role in. Yixing himself watched his mentor die that day because he rushed to stop the massacre, but was too late.” Zhiruo stumbled back slightly as the words sunk in, her breath catching in as blood roared in her ears. Suddenly, everything seemed to make sense. Her mother’s last words, her father’s hand clutching the orchid pendant…

 

Mother wanted me to go to the Prince of Lanling for shelter.

 

If that was the case, then...Prince Yixing had nothing to do with her family’s massacre. Not only that, it was quite the opposite. The prince had attempted to save her family, to prevent the tragedy from occuring. If he hadn’t tried and dragged out time with his attempts, perhaps even Zhiruo herself wouldn’t have survived that day.

 

I almost blamed a completely innocent man.

 

“Lady Shangguan?” Zhiruo looked up sharply to see Prince Yifan looking at her in concern.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked, “Your face is pale.” Zhiruo shook her head and pressed a thin smile to her lips.

 

“I’m alright, Your Highness.” She replied, “I’m just a little tired. If you’ll excuse me, this servant will take her leave now.” She bobbed into a quick curtsey and hurried out of the room, her entire body trembling as the truth continued to sink in. When Zhiruo finally reached her room, she sank into one of the soft stools next to her table and forced herself to take a few deep breaths to calm down. After her heart finally began to calm down, Zhiruo couldn’t help but laugh. All the signs had been there from the beginning. Her mother’s words, the pendant in her father’s hand, Prince Yixing’s horrid memories of the day his teacher died in his arms.

 

Shangguan Zhiruo, you fool! How did you not make the connection?

 

Zhiruo took another deep breath and poured herself a cup of tea. As she sipped carefully at the hot liquid, a soft smile turned up the corner of her lips.

 

If Prince Yixing is not the culprit, then he is not my enemy. If he is not my enemy, then he could be…

 

Zhiruo tapped a finger thoughtfully against the white porcelain tea cup as she struggled to finish her sentence.

 

What do I want him to be?

Another question rose up in her mind as she contemplated the first.

 

He’s been searching for me this whole time. Should I reveal my identity to him?

 

Zhiruo bit her lip, then shook her head.

 

No, I cannot tell him directly. There are always eyes and ears watching and listening in every corner of a royal prince’s household, even if it is the Prince of Lanling. But even if I tell him indirectly, what good would it be to him? Being associated with a criminal’s daughter will do little good for the prince. No, it will only risk more trouble to him.

 

Zhiruo sighed and replaced the tea up onto its tray. It was surprising to think about it, but already two months had almost passed since she entered Fourth Prince Manor. Since he had been the original choice to kill the Gongsun family, the prince could be some help to her in her search. At the same time though, Zhiruo didn’t want to cause Prince Yixing to become more entangled into her family matters anymore than he already was. The prince was a kind man with an illustrious future waiting for him. He didn’t need anything to weigh him down.

 

It’s time to think about what to do after three months are over.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

A few days later, Yixing

 

The glittering golden roofs of the royal palace shimmered in the morning sun as Yixing entered one of the inner harem palaces with Yifan in tow. Maids scurried to greet the two princes as they entered the inner rooms, and Yixing smiled broadly as he spotted an older woman sitting elegantly by the window. She wore a long elaborately decorated dress covered in patterns of swirling colors and birds taking flight.

 

“Mother.” He called. He and Yifan stopped next to the elegant woman and bowed in unison.

 

“Your sons greet Royal Mother.” They said, “We hope that Mother has been well.” Concubine Lan, one of the king’s first wives, turned from gazing out the window and smiled at the sight of the two princes. Although she had not given birth to neither Yixing nor Yifan, she had been the one to care for them since their mothers died in their childhood, and both princes were as filial to her as they would have been to their biological mothers.

 

“You two finally have time to come see your mother?” She teased, “Come closer.” Yixing and Yifan joined the older concubine in sitting by the window, and Yixing grinned as he patted her on the hand.

 

“Mother, you know we are very busy.” He said, “Look, Yifan and I have come to greet you as soon as we had the time. We brought gifts for you as well!” Concubine Lan laughed and gently patted Yixing on the cheek.

 

“You are a filial child.” She said, “But I heard that you did something very rash with Princess Rinchen of Tibet the other day.” Yixing turned to look at Yifan, who shrugged and waved his hands innocently.

 

“Do not blame your brother.” Concubine Lan warned, “The king came to tell me personally, as he was furious that you used your personal physician to reject a foreign princess’s hand in marriage.” Yixing ducked his head.

 

“Mother, you know I have no intentions to marry, whether for diplomatic reasons or otherwise. It’s not the first time I’ve rejected a marriage proposal.” He protested, “Besides, you should have seen the way Princess Rinchen treated me. She looked at me like I was an animal, and that it was my honor to marry her!” Concubine Lan laughed softly and ruffled Yixing’s hair.

 

“I know.” She replied, “But Xing’er, while your uncle understands you, one of these days your impulsivity is going to get you into trouble.” Yixing grinned.

 

“Mother, I believe my battlefield accomplishments will make up for anything short of the greatest of wrongdoings.” He replied smoothly, “Or else, who would protect the country if I am not around?” Yifan laughed at that, earning himself a glare from Yixing. Concubine Lan laughed as well.

 

“Arrogant child!” She scolded lightly. Yixing grinned.

 

“But Mother, you will always watch out for me too, won’t you?” He asked.

 

“I will do my best.” The older concubine replied, “But Yixing, how do you feel about Zhiruo?” Yixing blinked in surprise.

 

“About Zhiruo?” He asked, “Why do you ask?”

 

“The two of you have been working together for some time now.” Concubine Lan said, “And I also heard that you even willingly kissed her on the forehead while trying to drive Princess Rinchen away. Xing’er, you must know for sure whether that was truly an act, or something else. Playing around with feelings is not a fun task.”

 

“Mother, the two of them are very close.” Yifan chirped helpfully, earning himself another glare from Yixing, “He’s been good to her since the first day!”

 

“If you like her, you should ask the king for marriage.” Concubine Lan suggested, “After all, she is of a noble background and the country’s only female royal physician. Although she doesn’t have the status of a palace official because she is female, her pedigree is not necessarily far worse than yours.” Yixing smiled and patted Concubine Lan on the hand.

 

“I will think about it, Mother.” He promised, “But I truly have not thought about marriage at all. Besides, Zhiruo has been quite distracted in the past few days. She was so distracted, she didn’t even seem to see me this morning when I passed by!” Concubine Lan smiled.

 

“That is because today is her birthday.” She said, “She was like that last year as well.”

 

“How did you know?” Yixing asked in surprise.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo is the only female physician in the palace.” Concubine Lan replied, “If any of the concubines need medical assistance, she is the first one that is called. I think not only I, but many other royal concubines know her quite well.”

 

“She never even mentioned it to me!” Yixing exclaimed.

 

“Perhaps she doesn’t want other to know.” Concubine Lan suggested, “I offered to tell the king so that she could receive some gifts last year, but Zhiruo immediately refused. She said something about how she doesn’t like celebrating her birthday.” An amused twinkle entered the older woman’s eye as she looked at Yixing.

 

“Xing’er, if you like her, you could at least give her a present.” She suggested, “It seems like there is something about her birthday that is troublesome to her, but no one knows what it is. If she doesn’t like having a large feast to celebrate it, I do not think she would mind a present from you. It will get you onto her good side.” Yixing chuckled softly.

 

“I would like to think she already likes me quite enough, Mother.” He replied, “But I will consider it.”

____________________________________________________________________________

Concubine Lan’s suggestion seemed to stick in Yixing’s mind as he wandered along the path towards the palace exit with Yifan after leaving the concubine’s palace.

 

“A present…” He mused. Overall, it was not a bad idea. Zhiruo had done so many things for him already, but he had barely repaid any of the favors. With the mood Zhiruo had been in, perhaps a present would cheer her up. At the same time, Zhiruo didn’t seem like the type that would like simple presents like makeup or jewelry, so what would work better for her? As Yixing pondered over the question, he suddenly remembered what Princess Rinchen had said about Zhiruo.

 

“She’s just a medicine boiler girl!”

 

In a way, the Tibetan princess had been right. As Concubine Lan had said, while Zhiruo was an acknowledged royal physician, she had never been given official status because she was a woman. While her title was different, her lack of official rank made her seem more like a servant in status.

 

“That’s it!” Yixing grinned as the perfect idea came to mind. Yifan looked at him curiously.

 

“What’s it?” He asked. Yixing laughed and patted Yifan on the arm.

 

“I’m going to see Royal Uncle!” He declared, “You can go on without me for now, Yifan!” Before the third prince could protest, Yixing ran off towards the king’s chambers.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Later that night, Zhiruo

 

The dark cloudless night sky twinkled with a scattering of brilliant stars, but it did little to lift Zhiruo’s mood. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she looked up at the sky, heaviness weighing down her heart. Before the tragedy three years ago, she would have been at home in Gongsun Manor to celebrate her birthday. The entire manor would have been bustling with activity, her parents busy with preparing her birthday feast since early morning. Ever since three years ago though, Zhiruo had chosen to spend it alone, reminiscing about the past instead of allowing for celebrations. As she stood staring up at the moon, she heard a flurry of movement from the path leading to her chambers, and turned to see a maid hurry towards her.

 

“Lady Shangguan, you are being summoned to the front room.” She said. Zhiruo sighed and nodded.

 

“I will be right there.” She replied. The atmosphere in the front room was oddly serious as Zhiruo entered, each person in the room on their knees in front of an elaborately dressed older man, including Prince Yixing. Zhiruo frowned in confusion as she looked curiously at the man.

 

“Eunuch Yu?” She said in surprise, recognizing the king’s personal eunuch, “What brings you here so late?” The eunuch cleared his throat and leveled his gaze at her.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, kneel to receive the king’s edict.” He announced. Zhiruo’s gaze fell on the golden cloth scroll in the eunuch’s hand, and quickly kneeled behind the prince.

 

“This servant will accept the order.” She said politely. Eunuch Yu cleared his throat and began to read from the scroll.

 

“By order of the king, under authority from heaven, Lady Shangguan Zhiruo has shown herself to be intelligent and fearless, loyal to her country and an extremely valuable asset to the royal family. As such, Lady Shangguan is hereby promoted from this day forward to a Fourth Rank Official of the Upper Grade, to serve in the Royal Physician Department in the service of the royal family. It is so ordered.” Zhiruo’s eyes widened as she heard the order.

 

What is going on? The king never gave any hints that he wanted to give me official status.

 

Eunuch Yu rolled up the royal edict and held it out to Zhiruo.

 

“Lady Shangguan, accept your edict.” He said. Her hands trembling, Zhiruo reached up and accepted the scroll with both hands.

 

“This servant accepts Your Majesty’s order.” She murmured.

 

“Try again, Lady Shangguan.” Eunuch Yu said, sounding amused. Zhiruo laughed nervously and raised her head shyly.

 

“This subject accepts Your Majesty’s order.” She corrected.

 

“The king has high hopes for you, Lady Shangguan.” Eunuch Yu said, “Work hard.”

 

“I will.” Zhiruo smiled. The servants scattered as Eunuch Yu departed, and Zhiruo rose slowly to her feet. Prince Yixing grinned as he approached her.

 

“Congratulations, Fourth Rank Lady Shangguan.” He said. Zhiruo stared numbly at the scroll in her hand.

 

“Highness...I have no idea what just happened.” She admitted, “How did this suddenly happen?” Prince Yixing smiled mysteriously.

 

“Yes, how did that happen?” He repeated. Zhiruo turned to look at him and thought for a few moments as she took in the small smile on the prince’s face.

 

“Your Highness...did you have anything to do with this?” She asked, “You went to the palace today, didn’t you?” Prince Yixing laughed softly.

 

“Well, I did mention to my uncle a little bit about your role in stopping the rebellion at Lanling, and reemphasized how grateful I was that you saved my life the first time, then reminded him how you had not really been rewarded for those acts yet .” He replied with a smile, “And when my uncle asked how I suggested you be rewarded, I dropped a few ideas.” Zhiruo raised an eyebrow.

 

“He took your suggestions after you directly rejected Princess Rinchen?” She asked skeptically. Prince Yixing grinned sheepishly.

 

“Well, I never said it was easy to convince him, now did I?” He replied, “It did take a lot of talking, but the result was good in the end. Do you not like it?” Zhiruo shook her head furiously, a smile rising to her lips as the initial shock began to ebb away.

 

“No, I am very grateful, Your Highness!” She replied, “It is more than I could ever have imagined.” It was true; Zhiruo knew that becoming a female official was nearly impossible, so she had never held many high hope about becoming one. All that she had wanted to do was use her position as a royal physician to find out who killed her family; as for status, it didn’t matter much to her.

 

“It’s just…” She continued, “Why did you do this for me?” Prince Yixing smiled gently.

 

“Happy birthday, Zhiruo.” He said, “I know you don’t want big celebrations for your birthday, but I haven’t done much to pay back your favors yet. The least I could do was get you an official status as your birthday gift.” Zhiruo’s eyes widened as she gazed up at the prince, her chest growing warm at the realization of how considerate the prince had been, as well as the way he had addressed her.

 

Did he just call me by name again?

 

“Your Highness, I will forever be grateful for this gift.” She said softly as she dipped into a curtsey, “This subject will never forget what Your Highness has done for me.” Prince Yixing reached out and gently pulled her back up, his hand warm and gently gripping the bottom of her wrists.

 

“As long as you smile,” He said, “Anything will be worth it.” Zhiruo’s looked down shyly as she realized what he was referring to.

 

“Was it obvious I was in a mood?” She asked quietly. Prince Yixing chuckled.

 

“Just a little.” He replied, “I will not ask why you were unhappy, nor will I ask what happened. If you want to tell me, I will be glad to listen, but if you do not want to, I will not force you. I simply wanted to make you happy today.” Zhiruo looked back up at the prince, her chest filling with emotion at the prince’s words.

 

He is such an understanding man. Prince Yixing, you are too kind to me.

 

“And one more thing.” Prince Yixing continued, “Stop referring to yourself as ‘subject’ or ‘servant’. From now on, just refer to yourself in the first person.” Zhiruo’s looked at him in surprise. She had spoken in first person to the prince before, but always tried to keep to third person whenever she could in order to stick to proper decorum. Switching entirely to first person was another matter that she had never thought of doing.

 

“That is not quite proper etiquette, Highness.” She protested. Prince Yixing shook his head and poked Zhiruo lightly on the forehead.

 

“Silly girl, why don’t you ever remember?” He asked, “I am the one who decides what is proper in this manor. If I say it is alright, then it is alright, understand?” Zhiruo hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

 

“This subject...I understand.” She said, “I will do as Your Highness says.” Prince Yixing nodded and smiled, seeming to be pleased with her answer.

 

“Go and rest now.” He said, “It is getting late.” Zhiruo nodded and bobbed into a small curtsey.

 

“Goodnight, Your Highness.” She said before leaving the room. Zhiruo sighed softly to herself as she returned to her rooms and tilted her head back against the shut doors behind her.

 

Zhang Yixing, you are so good to me. How could I possibly tell you who I am and bring you into my family’s mess?

 

___________________________________________________________________________

Two weeks later, Luoyang

 

Zhiruo could barely stop herself from staring at the bustling market surrounding her as she followed Prince Yixing through the streets of Luoyang City. Ever since childhood, she had barely traveled beyond her home walls, and after growing up, she had never traveled outside of the capital. Now, Prince Yixing was making a tour through the Northern Qi territory to check on the common people for his uncle, and he had brought Zhiruo along with him. Every stop along the way had been an entirely new world for Zhiruo, no matter if it was the food, culture, or entertainment inside the cities.

 

“Your jaw is going to hit the floor.” Prince Yixing teased from next to her, causing Zhiruo to blush in embarrassment.

 

“Young Master, please don’t tease me again,” She protested, while carefully keeping the prince’s identity hidden, “You tease me every time we enter a new city.” Prince Yixing chuckled.

 

“That is only because you stare with wide eyes at everything we pass by.” He replied, “You really are like a little kitten.” Zhiruo’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment again, and she turned away quickly with a soft huff.

 

“Young Master is being mean to me!” She huffed. Prince Yixing laughed and turned her head back around to look at him.

 

“It seems like this little kitten has gotten even bolder since rising in status.” He chuckled. Zhiruo promptly gave him a pout and hurried off to look at one of the stands lining the road. As she picked up an embroidered blue coin pouch, she peeked back around at the prince and watched as he laughed at something one of his retainers said to him. Zhiruo felt her heart skip a beat as his laugh brought the dimple out on his cheek again, and turned quickly back to the product in her hands before the prince noticed. Still, she couldn’t help but let a small smile spread over her face.

 

Your Highness, I’m glad you are not my enemy.

 

Now that she knew not to suspect him, even breathing around him seemed a little easier. However, that truth also brought with it a different reality.

 

In less than one month, I will no longer have a reason to stay by his side.

 

The thought made Zhiruo’s heart clench in her chest, and she bit on her lip to swallow down a sigh.

 

Stop thinking so much about it. You knew this could be coming from the day you stepped into Fourth Prince Manor.

 

“Zhiruo?” The young physician jumped as she heard Prince Yixing’s voice near her, and turned to see that the prince had approached her while she had been deep in thought.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked, “Your mind is thinking about something else.” Zhiruo shook her head quickly.

 

“Of course not, Young Master.” She said, “I was just thinking about how well made this pouch is.” Prince Yixing hummed in approval as he took the pouch from her hands and examined it closely.

 

“Indeed, it is well done.” He agreed before reaching into his waistband and pulling out two coins.

 

“Young Master?” Zhiruo looked at him in confusion as Prince Yixing handed the coins to the shopkeeper before turning back to Zhiruio and placing the pouch in her hand.

 

“Here you are.” He said simply. Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“Young Master, I haven’t done anything to deserve this.” She protested, but Prince Yixing shook his head and closed Zhiruo’s fingers around the pouch.

 

“It is a gift, Lady.” He replied. Zhiruo bit her lip, then nodded and carefully tucked the pouch behind her waistband.

 

“Thank you, Young Master.” She replied softly.

____________________________________________________________________________

Nighttime

 

Zhiruo turned at the sound of a knock on her room door, and opened the door to find Prince Yixing standing there.

 

“Young Master?” She said softly, “What brings you here at this time of night?” Prince Yixing gave her a tiny smile.

 

“Nothing.’ He said quietly, “I was just feeling tired and wanted to see you.” Zhiruo’s heart skipped a beat as she heard his words.

 

“Young Master, how can I be of help for that?” She asked as she stepped back to allow the prince to step inside. Normally, it would be improper for an unmarried woman and an unmarried man to be alone in a room at night, but something had changed in Prince Yixing’s gaze since they had eaten dinner and then retired to their rooms that made Zhiruo choose otherwise. He sighed softly as he walked to the small balcony in Zhiruo’s room and lifted his head to the cool night air.

 

“I forgot.” He said simply. Zhiruo frowned in confusion.

 

“Forgot?” She repeated in confusion. Prince Yixing nodded.

 

“My mentor’s death anniversary.” He clarified, “I usually honor him in the privacy of my home, but  I was so caught up in all the political matters and Princess Rinchen’s sudden arrival that I completely forgot to pay my respects to him.” He turned his head to look over at Zhiruo, moonlight reflecting off his deep brown eyes.

 

“Do you think he’s angry at me?” He asked. Zhiruo smiled faintly and shook her head.

 

“Your Highness is a hardworking man who cares about his country.” She replied, “And furthermore, you are always filial towards your mentor. I doubt he would hold this against you.”

 

Besides, my father is not one to hold grudges.

 

Prince Yixing sighed and closed his eyes.

 

“I hope so.” He replied. Zhiruo felt her chest constrict as she looked at the figure of the prince illuminated by the moonlight.

 

Your Highness...you are an accomplished general, a prince ranked high above everyone else, adored by all your men and praised by your people. You are arguably one of the most powerful men in the country. There is little else that someone else could wish for in this life. Yet, at this moment, you seem so lonely, up there in the position that you hold. Perhaps this is what people mean when they say that power comes with a price. You smile, you laugh with your men, but in the end...is this the you that few people manage to see?

 

Zhiruo bit her lip, her mind racing to find something to cheer up the young prince. Her gaze fell on the zither that the thoughtful innkeeper had placed near one end of the balcony.

 

Perfect.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

The soft liquid notes of a zither broke into the peaceful night air, drawing Yixing abruptly from his melancholic thoughts. The simple tune was warm and beautiful, the running notes lifting his heart from its current state. He turned his head to search for the source of the music, and his gaze immediately fell on Zhiruo. The young physician sat on one end of the balcony, her fingers running over a zither that had been set up there. It was clear that she had been taught well, her touch expertly bringing out the beauty of the tune. Yixing couldn’t help but simply stare as she played. It was odd; he had returned to his room, and finally remembered that Lord Gongsun’s death anniversary had been two weeks ago. Guilt had wracked his chest at the thought, and before he realized it, he had ended up at Zhiruo’s door.

 

Shangguan Zhiruo...are you trying to cheer me up? How is it that you always know what I need?

 

On an impulse, Yixing drew his bamboo flute out from his sleeve, and began to play along with Zhiruo. She looked up in surprise for a moment, then a smile filled her face as she modified her notes to play off his tune. The joint sounds of zither and flute filled the night air for what felt like eternity, and Yixing’s chest swelled with emotion as they gazed at each other throughout the song. At last, the song came to an end, and Zhiruo rose to her feet to curtsey.

 

“Your Highness plays very well.” She praised. Yixing took a deep shuddering breath as he didn’t reply, his eyes drinking in the sight of Zhiruo bathed in the gentle moonlight.

 

Zhiruo...I don’t want to let you leave me.

 

Zhiruo...I like you.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo.” He said after a long pause, “If I asked you to stay by my side, would you do it?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I felt like it was about time one of them realized their feelings! Not to worry, the time when both admit it will be here soon, I'm just still trying to decide if I want them to be separated for a while or not once the three months are up.

 

By the way, if anyone is wondering what song they were playing, I was listening to this while I was writing that part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vun8ZhXIuyA