Chapter 3: The First Test

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

A few days later, Zhiruo

 

Zhiruo stared at the wide expanse of books in front of her, unsure of what to make of the sight in front of her. She had long heard of the intelligent Fourth Prince’s expansive library, but this was something completely different from what she had imagined. Shelves upon shelves of books stretched on inside the large room, far beyond what Zhiruo’s eyes could see. She bit back a soft groan of disappointment.

 

“I suppose I will have to switch plans…” She grumbled. Zhiruo had originally intended to begin her search from the Fourth Prince’s military records, but based on the size of the library, she would need far more than three months to look through them all.

 

“What are you doing?” A voice spoke behind her, causing her to jump slightly. Zhiruo turned to see a young man dressed in elaborate robes behind her. Zhiruo’s mind raced as she tried to place who this man was. His robes were golden, a slightly softer shade than the king’s, and the cloth was decorated with elaborate designs that even Prince Yixing had not been seen wearing. The young man carried himself with an air of confidence and slight arrogance, as if certain that nothing could ever touch him. Zhiruo hesitated for a moment before hazarding a guess.

 

“Crown Prince.” She greeted, folding her hands neatly in front of her as she curtsied. A soft amused smile turned up the corner of the young man’s lips as he looked at her.

 

“How did you know who I am?” He asked. Zhiruo smiled politely.

 

“The way you dress and the way you carry yourself is different from other people.” She responded, “It is only obvious that a man with your aura can be no other person but the Crown Prince.” While the statement reeked of exaggeration, Zhiruo knew from her time in the palace that such statements were the kind that royalty typically liked. The young man chuckled.

 

“You are correct.” He said, “I am the Crown Prince, Zhang Yiwei.” Zhiruo stiffened slightly as he reached out and tilted her head up by the chin.

 

“You have quite the sweet mouth, Lady.” He commented, “What is your name?” It took all of Zhiruo’s self control not to push the crown prince’s hand away as she forced herself to keep a tiny smile on her lips.

 

“I am…” She began. Before she could finish her sentence however, there was a rush of movement from near the library doors. Before Zhiruo could process what was happening, someone pulled her swiftly away from the prince’s grip, and Zhiruo suddenly found herself half hidden behind a broad back.

 

“Cousin, what brings you here?” A familiar voice asked smoothly. Zhiruo peeked out from behind the newcomer, wondering who had suddenly intervened. Her eyes widened as she recognized the newcomer.

 

“Your Highness!” She exclaimed, “What are you doing here?” Prince Yixing glared down at her, the sunlight glinting off his eyes to give them a sharp amber hue. At that moment, he looked like a cat who had caught another animal stealing its favorite possession.

 

“Am I not allowed to move about as I wish inside my own manor, Lady?” He asked. Zhiruo bit her lip and ducked her head in embarrassment.

 

“My apologies, Highness.” She mumbled. A quick flash of displeasure seemed to cross the crown prince’s face before his lips curled into a placid smile.

 

“Am I not allowed to visit my cousin after he returns victorious from battle?” He asked. Prince Yixing smiled calmly.

 

“Of course not, Cousin.” He replied, “But what does my personal physician have to do with that?” Yiwei raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

 

“Personal physician?” He repeated, “I would never think that you, of all people, would choose a woman as your personal physician.” He looked over at Zhiruo, an amused grin filling his face.

 

“Although, I must say she is quite an interesting woman.” He said, “A smart and beautiful woman. I can see why you like her.” A slight glare took over Prince Yixing’s gaze again as he pushed Zhiruo further behind him.

 

“If your point is to visit me, I do not think she has anything to do with it.” He said firmly. Yiwei pulled a letter from his sleeve and handed it to Yixing.

 

“Perhaps not my visit.” He replied, “But if you are to go to battle again, then she will certainly be relevant. I only came to deliver this to you while seeing how you are doing.” Prince Yixing opened the letter immediately and scanned its contents carefully.

 

“There is a rebellion in Lanling County?” He said in surprise. Yiwei nodded.

 

“The soldiers stationed there have the country and brought some of the citizens along with them into rebellion.” He said, “They no longer wish to be citizens of Northern Qi.” Prince Yixing sighed deeply.

 

“But as I recall, Cousin.” He said, “The man that I left in charge there was recommended by you, and that is why Uncle insisted on his leadership.” Yiwei shrugged.

 

“I cannot control all the men that I recommend.” He replied, “I only admired his strength and leadership. In the end, Lanling County is still your territory, not mine.” Prince Yixing’s jaw tightened slightly as he folded the letter back into the envelope.

 

“I thank you, for bringing this all the way to me, Cousin.” He said, “Please tell Royal Uncle that I will surely crush the rebellion as soon as possible. If there is nothing else you need from me today, I will have someone you out.” Yiwei scoffed.

 

“You are so eager to be rid of me already?” He asked. Prince Yixing smiled and bowed politely.

 

“I simply do not wish to hold the crown prince back from his duties.” He responded smoothly. Yiwei smirked.

 

“Then I suppose I will have to leave for today.” He said, “I will come for a longer talk another day, and perhaps I will get to know your little physician better.” Prince Yixing’s grip tightened slightly around his letter, but he maintained the calm smile on his face.

 

“Please ask the butler to see you out.” He responded, ignoring the pointed statement aimed towards Zhiruo. The younger prince only smiled calmly, looking at Zhiruo one more time before leaving the library. After a long pause, Prince Yixing turned to look down at Zhiruo. She jumped slightly at the anger in his eyes.

 

“What were you doing?” He demanded. Zhiruo swallowed hard.

 

“Your Highness, I was looking for a book and ran into the crown prince.” She replied, “We only exchanged a few words before you intervened.” Prince Yixing frowned.

 

“Stay away from my cousin.” He ordered, “He isn’t someone you should be around.” Zhiruo thought back to the touch of the crown prince’s hand on her face. His hands had been cold, just as cold as the feeling that had settled in her chest when he had smiled. A soft shudder ran through her body just at the thought of the experience.

 

“I certainly will as much as possible.” She promised. Prince Yixing nodded, seeming to be pleased with her answer. Without another word, he turned and headed for the door. Zhiruo hurried after him, her mind whirling.

 

What was all that? It doesn’t seem like the two princes like each other very much. They smiled, but every word was guarded with far deeper meanings.

 

She bit her lip as her mind returned to the task she had been doing before the crown prince interrupted her.

 

If finding records on my family will take too much time, then the only way to get answers quickly is…

 

Zhiruo allowed herself only a moment to waver as she looked up at the Fourth Prince’s imposing figure. She had already come this far; there was no turning back.

 

“Your Highness?” She inquired. He turned to look back at her.

 

“What is it?” He asked. Zhiruo bit her lip.

 

“Please forgive this servant for being frank,” She said, “But are you really going to battle again?”

 

“Of course.” Prince Yixing replied, “Besides the fact that I am a general, Lanling County is my territory. How could I not go?” Zhiruo hesitated for a moment before speaking.

 

“Your body has yet to heal fully.” She said, “It would not be advisable for you to return to battle so quickly.” A slightly amused smile turned up the corner of the prince’s lips.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, are you trying to tell me what to do?” He asked. Zhiruo shook her head quickly.

 

“It would not be my place to do that, Your Highness.” She replied, “But as your personal physician, it is only proper that I look after your bodily health. As such, I am only giving you the advice I think necessary for that duty.” Zhiruo hesitated slightly before looking up directly into the prince’s eyes.

 

“I know Your Highness will insist on going.” She continued, “And so I only ask that you take me along with you to the military camp.” Prince Yixing stared at her in surprise for a moment, momentarily taken off guard by her sudden request.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, do you know what you’re asking for?” He asked, “A military camp is not a place for a woman to be. I cannot possibly take you along.” Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“I am not afraid.” She replied, “Besides, I have been in a military camp before, when I first saved Your Highness’s life. A second time will surely not be that different from the first.” Prince Yixing gazed down at her for a few long moments, the wheels turning in his head as he thought over Zhiruo’s request. Then, he smirked.

 

“Interesting.” He simply said as he continued on his way. Zhiruo blinked in confusion before hurrying after him.

 

“Your Highness, what does that mean?” She asked, struggling to keep up with his quick strides. She squeaked in surprise as the prince stopped suddenly, causing her to bump into his chest before stumbling a few steps back. Immediately, the prince’s hand closed around her arm, pulling her back to her feet and bringing her near him. Zhiruo felt her heart begin to pound as she found herself staring into the prince’s dark liquid brown gaze.

 

“You are certainly a bold woman.” The prince stated, an amused smile on his lips.

 

“Pardon?” Zhiruo asked, still slightly lost in the prince’s dark eyes. Prince Yixing chuckled softly and released his grip on Zhiruo’s arm.

 

“I do not want to hear complaints from you if you find life at the camp difficult!” He called over his shoulder as he continued down the path. Zhiruo stared after him for a couple seconds as the meaning behind his words sunk in.

 

“Thank you Your Highness!” She called after him. The prince merely waved a hand over his shoulder, and Zhiruo smiled as he turned the corner and disappeared. Perhaps it was only a small concession from the prince, but at least she was getting somewhere.

 

The more I stay by his side, the easier I will find my answers.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

“What did you say?” Yifan stared at his brother in surprise, “You intend to bring Lady Shangguan along?” Yixing nodded as he closed his book calmly and placed it on his desk.

 

“Indeed I do.” He replied smoothly. Yifan frowned.

 

“Yixing, I get that she is a woman of many good characteristics, but that doesn’t mean you can bring her into military matters. What if she is a spy who intends to leak out battle strategies?” He warned. Yixing laughed softly as he looked up at his older brother.

 

“Yifan, do you really think that I’m bringing her along because of childish feelings of attraction?” He asked. Yifan looked at him curiously, and Yixing rose to his feet from behind his desk.

 

“I will admit that she is an attractive girl.” He said, “But this time, I’m taking her along as a test. If all goes well, then that proves that she deserves a little more of my trust. But if I catch her doing something she shouldn’t…” He let the statement trail off into thin air, and Yifan sighed.

 

“Are you really going to risk losing to a rebellion to test a young woman whose motives are unclear?” The third prince asked. Yixing chuckled as he pulled out his sword and examined the shiny silver surface.

 

“If I cannot trust her, then there is little use in keeping her around.” He replied, “But you see Yifan, I am not ready to give her up yet, and if I can ensure that she is on my side, then that is all the better.” Yixing turned his head to look at his brother over his shoulder.

 

“Besides, do you really think that anything she can manage to accomplish would truly cause me to lose?” He added, “You are underestimating me, Brother.” Yifan sighed and shook his head.

 

“Very well.” He replied, “It is your battle, and Lady Shangguan is your physician, so I will stop trying to change your mind.” Yifan came to Yixing’s side and patted him on the shoulder.

 

“Just ask Uncle for a marriage already.” He said, “Then Lady Shangguan will never leave your side.” Yixing growled slightly at his brother.

 

“Zhang Yifan!” He snarled warningly. Yifan laughed good naturedly and hurried for the door, away from Yixing’s wrath.

 

“Please give it some serious thought!” He called before ducking out the door. Yixing sighed and shook his head as Yifan’s footsteps trailed off into the distance.

 

Marriage? What nonsense.

 

Still, he couldn’t help but smile slightly as he thought back on the firm expression on Zhiruo’s face as she had insisted that she travel to the military camp with him. No noblewoman had ever dared to look at him straight in the eye and request something so out of the norm before, much less insist on the point. Zhiruo was a polite woman, one that knew how to keep to her place and proper decorum when needed. At the same time though, she was not afraid to speak her mind when she found it necessary. But below that, Yixing could sense something akin to a fire lit inside her, something that spurred the bolder side of her that was so rare among noblewoman. He smirked slightly as he slipped his sword back into its sheath.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, you are such a mystery to me. Just what are you?” He murmured, “But that makes the game much more interesting. I wonder, what other sides do you have to show me?”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

One week later, on the outskirts of Lanling County

 

The sun shone brightly down from a cloudless blue sky. The soft rays of light sparkled on the top of the white and red military tents, sending a scatter of light tumbling across the green grass. The soft chatter of Northern Qin soldiers filled the air, mixed with the faint smells of cooking food. Inside the biggest tent in the middle of the camp however, the atmosphere was far from calm. The tension was almost palpable in the air as Zhiruo entered with a tray of medicine and her medical bag. Prince Yixing’s lips were pursed into a tense line as he stared at the territorial map hanging in front of him, his brow furrowed in deep thought. The men silently parted to let Zhiruo pass, the soft thunk of the tray hitting the table seeming to reverberate throughout the silent tent. Zhiruo hesitated for a moment before speaking.

 

“Is something wrong, Your Highness?” She asked, “Can I be of help in any way?” Prince Yixing sighed as he answered, his gaze never leaving the map.

 

“Not unless you can tell me how to enter and reclaim the city without risking the lives of all the citizens inside.” He replied. Zhiruo looked questioningly over at Prince Yifan.

 

“The rebel leaders are threatening Yixing with the lives of the citizens.” The third prince clarified, “A frontal attack seems all but impossible at this point, but so is an ambush because the city is surrounded by open ground.” Zhiruo nodded slowly, understanding dawning in her mind. Prince Yixing was an incredibly skilled fighter, and if a head to head battle had been possible, the rebellion would have been long crushed by now; of that, there was no doubt. However, even the god of war himself was in a bind when his options were severely limited in the way they were now. Sacrificing thousands of lives to reclaim the city would certainly not sit well with either the court, the rest of Northern Qin, or Prince Yixing’s own conscience. Zhiruo was aware of one thing though: even if she wanted to help the prince, military strategies were beyond what she could understand. Zhiruo bit her lip and bobbed a quick curtsey.

 

“Your Highness loves his people like his own family.” She said simply, “The heavens will surely watch over you.” Prince Yixing only grunted softly in reply, and Zhiruo hurried out before she could become the target of his frustrated wrath. Her thoughts wandered back to the prince’s frustrated expression as she walked along the path near the forest surrounding the camp.

 

I wish I could help him…

 

If she could become useful to him, then it would certainly bring them closer together. And even if answers to her search were not her ultimate goal, it would certainly be beneficial to the country to help him succeed. But how, when both of the most obvious methods were all but impossible? Zhiruo’s eyes scanned the path aimlessly in front of her as she mulled over the question. Then, her gaze fell onto a slim white flower growing near the edge of the path, and her footsteps slowed as she recognized the bell shaped blossoms.

 

That’s it!

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

“Your Highness!” A female voice drew Yixing’s thoughts away from the territory map in front of him, and he turned to see Zhiruo hurry into the tent, a flower clutched in her hand.

 

“I will drink the medicine, you don’t need to rush me.” He said before she opened . Zhiruo laughed softly and shook her head.

 

“No, Your Highness.” She corrected, “I believe I have found a solution to your dilemma.” Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“What is it?” He inquired curiously. Zhiruo held out the flower she had been holding.

 

“Your Highness, have you seen this flower before?” She asked. Yixing looked at the white bell shaped flower curiously. If he thought hard about it, he could vaguely remember seeing a similar flower sitting in his uncle’s chambers, a gift from one of the concubines to sweeten the air in the rooms. What had it been called…?

 

“Lily of the Valley?” He commented as he finally remembered, “How can this be the answer to my problem?” Zhiruo smiled.

 

“This flower is usually used for fragrance purposes.” She said, “But what many people do not know is that if someone physically consumes this flower, it can be quite toxic, leading at least to extreme dizziness on the part of the consumer.” Yixing raised an eyebrow as he sat down behind his desk.

 

“Continue.” He ordered, intrigued. Zhiruo’s eyes sparkled as she spoke.

 

“Because the city is currently sealed off, there are few necessary articles going into the city.” She continued, “It has already been some time, so I imagine that at the very least, the rebels are lacking in rations. If Your Highness is willing to spare some of your rations, then these lillies can be crushed into a powder, mixed in with the rations, and delivered to the rebels. They are so hungry, they will certainly feast on it immediately. And when that happens…” A pleased smile spread across Yixing’s face as he realized where Zhiruo’s thoughts were leading.

 

“I can lead my army inside and reclaim the city without sacrificing a single life.” He finished. It was the perfect plan.

 

“But how will the rebels be convinced to take the food?” He asked. Zhiruo thought for a moment.

 

“We passed through many small villages on the way here.” She replied, “Someone can dress up as one of the villagers and pretend to donate food to the rebels in an act of support. Because the villagers are also Lanling County citizens, the rebels are unlikely to find it suspicious.” Yixing nodded, the pieces starting to come together.

 

“And who do you suppose can pretend to be a villager?” He queried. Zhiruo paused briefly before folding her hands neatly in front of her and raising her eyes to meet his directly.

 

“I am willing to be of service to you, Your Highness.” She replied. Yixing’s eyes widened, panic flashing through his chest as he stood up sharply.

 

“You cannot!” He replied firmly, “That city is on the verge of warfare and currently controlled by rebel forces. How could I possibly let a woman enter that city alone?” Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“Your Highness, there is no other option.” She reasoned, “The rebels are certainly familiar with the faces of both yourself, Prince Yifan, and your highest ranking subordinates. As for the other men, they carry themselves clearly as soldiers and not ordinary men. How could the rebels believe them to be villagers?” She held up a hand as Yixing opened his mouth to protest again.

 

“Besides, no one knows more about the medical capabilities of this lily than I do.” She replied, “Should anything go wrong in the interim, I can at least intervene in order to finish the plan.”

 

“And if the flower fails to work?” Yixing asked, “Then what do you intend to do?” Zhiruo smiled calmly.

 

“I will stay inside the city until the rebels have all consumed the food.” She replied, “Even if the powder fails to act as books say, all the rebels will essentially be gathered into one place. Even if they are not poisoned, would it not be easy then for Your Highness to bring forces to kill them anyway?” Yixing felt himself wavering as he let Zhiruo’s ideas sink in. It was a well formed plan, complete with a backup should things go wrong. At the same time, sending her in alone had not been even near the top of his list of ideas.

 

“You may be sacrificed in the process.” He warned. Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“I am not afraid.” She replied, “I belong to Your Highness’s manor. Seeing how much Your Highness cares for your people in the far away Lanling County, I trust that Your Highness will do all in your power to ensure that I survive.” At this, Yixing could not help but laugh. In the short time she had been with him, Shangguan Zhiruo had already seen through his military side deep into his care for those under his guardianship. Indeed, she was right; as long as someone worked under him, it was his unstated policy that he would do all he could to ensure their safety. At the same time, sending Zhiruo in would serve an entirely different purpose.

 

If she so strongly wishes to be of help to me, then I will let this be her test. Shangguan Zhiruo, prove your loyalty to me, so I can trust you.

 

“Very well.” He said at last, “Go and prepare immediately.” Zhiruo grinned and bobbed into a quick curtsey.

 

“Thank you Your Highness!” She chirped before hurrying out of the tent. Yifan raised an eyebrow suspiciously at Yixing as he looked over at his younger brother.

 

“Are you sure you want to trust her with such a massive task?” He asked. Yixing chuckled softly as he returned to his seat behind his desk.

 

“It is an intelligent plan.” Yixing replied, “And it is unlikely that the rebels are aware of this flower’s uses. I believe it will work.” He smirked as he looked up at Yifan.

 

“I will let this be her test of loyalty to me.” He said, “And I do not think she will disappoint me.” A curious smile turned up one corner of Yifan’s lips as he looked at his brother curiously.

 

“What makes you so sure?” He asked. Yixing smiled as he picked up the white bell shaped lily and turned it around in his hands.

 

“It’s just a feeling.” He replied simply.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Nighttime, Zhiruo

 

Zhiruo patted down the simple gray and tan clothing that she had borrowed from one of the villages, making sure that everything was perfectly in place. Behind her, a large pile of rations lay stacked up high on a large wheelbarrow, ready for delivery. It was going to be a difficult task to push all of that to the city entrance, but perhaps that would work in Zhiruo’s favor. Rebels or not, men were still men, and the sight of a weak young woman trying to deliver rations to support them would help in lowering their defenses. She curtsied politely as Prince Yixing approached.

 

“Is everything ready?” He asked. Zhiruo nodded.

 

“All the rations have been sprinkled with lily powder.” She replied. Prince Yixing nodded in approval.

 

“Then, I will leave the fate of the city on your shoulders, Lady Shangguan.” Zhiruo smiled and bowed her head.

 

“I will not disappoint you, Your Highness.” She assured him as she curtsied again. Prince Yixing reached out and pulled her back up with a slight tap below her hands. Zhiruo’s eyes widened, and she felt her heart begin to pound as warmth from the prince’s touch spread through her hands.

 

“Go and return quickly.” He said, “I will be waiting for your signal.” Zhiruo smiled and nodded silently as she turned to pick up the handles on the wheelbarrow.

 

“Lady Shangguan.” The prince’s voice made her turn again. He seemed to hesitate and think for a few long seconds before he spoke.

 

“Come back alive.” He said at last, “That is a royal order.” Zhiruo’s eyes widened slightly as the words sunk in, taken off guard by the sudden order.

 

Is he worried about my wellbeing?

 

There was no time to mull over this too much though; the night sky was darkening quickly, and Zhiruo would have to hurry to reach the city gates before dinner time.

 

“I will surely follow that order, Your Highness.” She replied simply before picking up the heavy wheelbarrow, and heading off for the hostage city.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I hope I'm not giving anyone whiplash with Yixing's seemingly contradictory attitude towards Zhiruo!