Chapter 16: Investigations and Progress

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

A few months later

 

In the months following Yixing and Zhiruo’s marriage, the couple worked stealthily to examine evidence to find an answer to their long held question. The process was long and slow; in order to avoid catching outside attention while balancing their research with their daily lives, Yixing sneaked only small amounts of information from the palace each time. Finally, after a few months of searching, something finally appeared useful to them.

 

“Ruo’er.” Zhiruo looked up from the records she was reading as Yixing called her name, “Come here for a moment.” Zhiruo stepped over to her husband’s side where he had multiple books laid out next to each other.

 

“Look at this.” Yixing said as he ran his finger across the pages, “These are records of where the former Minister of Warfare’s travels. What do you see in common about these records?” Zhiruo was silent for a few moments as she looked across the pages. Every time a nobleman made use of his personal army, he was required by royal law to record where they had gone and for what purpose they had been used. The records were then compiled over the year and given to the royal library at the end of the year. It was one of the ways that the king made sure his officials weren’t plotting to revolt.

 

“Every year around the same time, he always went out of the country with  most of his personal army.” She noted, “But he didn’t record where he went, he just said that he went to visit family.” Zhiruo raised an eyebrow.

 

“That’s strange.” She said, “Wouldn’t the head of the royal library picked up on something so vague? He has to look through the records before putting them officially into the library. Unless…”

 

“The head librarian and the Minister of Warfare both had something to hide.” Yixing finished, “Which makes things much more interesting.”

 

“But what does this have to do with my father?” Zhiruo asked.

 

“I originally didn’t think it did.” Yixing replied, “But when I looked back at other records, former Minister of Warfare Wen Hong resigned in the month immediately following your family’s massacre, so I became curious.” He tapped one finger against the book in front of him.


“Combined with this strange and mysterious traveling pattern, I think there’s more to it than meets the eye. It can’t just be a coincidence.” He finished. Zhiruo tapped a finger against her chin as she thought over the new information.

 

“There aren’t that many reasons to go out of the country, even if he is the Minister of Warfare.” She said, “Could it be that he has a woman he is keeping out there somewhere? Or perhaps some business?” Yixing thought for a moment.

 

“If it was a woman, he wouldn’t need to be so secretive.” He said, “But if it was business, what sort of business would require such secrecy?” Yixing and Zhiruo both looked at each other for a moment before coming to the answer at the same time.

 

“Trading with the Khitan.” They both said at the same time. Zhiruo’s eyes widened as the thought sunk in. It had been long standing royal law in Northern Qi that save for a few rare exceptions, the people were not allowed to trade with the nearby Khitanese people, particularly in military weapons. After all, the Khitanese people were known for their strong weaponry. Although the borders had been peaceful for a long time, there was still the possibility that military weaknesses could be leaked during trade, and so it had become law that no one was allowed to trade with the Khitanese neighbors. There was no way the king would ever order even the Minister of Warfare to procure Khitanese weapons for Northern Qi’s use. If the Minister of Warfare had been trading with them secretly, then that could only really mean one thing.

 

“Could he be planning a revolt?” Zhiruo surmised. Yixing frowned.

 

“He wouldn’t dare to try to revolt on his own.” He said, “Besides, there is little reason why he would need to. But if there is someone he wants to put on the throne…” Zhiruo swallowed hard as a name came to mind. It didn’t take much to guess who the Minister of Warfare was supporting. The current king only had one son who was eligible, as the queen’s son, to take the throne, and everyone was constantly vying for his favor. He was both an easy target to become a puppet king, and the easiest to try to curry favor with. Because the queen had died at a young age, there was no one to protect the prince from being manipulated. And if anyone was getting uneasy waiting for the throne, then it would be…

 

“Zhang Yiwei.” Yixing said quietly. His hand clenched tightly into a fist on the table.

 

“That bastard! He wants to snatch the throne from his own father?” He growled.

 

“He did.” Zhiruo corrected, “But for some reason, he stopped.” Yixing’s gaze rose to meet Zhiruo’s eyes.

 

“I think that is where your father comes in.” He said, “Think about it. Your father was well respected and trusted by my uncle. If he found out and told the king about it, chances are that the king would believe him. And so…” Zhiruo bit her lip.

 

“My family was killed before my father could say anything, and then the Former Minister of Warfare resigned before anyone could connect him to the matter.” She concluded grimly. Yixing rose to his feet.

 

“If he was buying up large amounts of weapons from the Khitan, then he would have needed large amounts of money to pay for it.” He said, “The only way he could have that much money is to get it from the royal treasury. I will go and ask Yifan to look into the royal treasurer’s records.”

 

“I doubt he would have recorded those in the official royal records.” Zhiruo reminded him. Yixing grinned.

 

“I know.” He replied, “Who said I was sending Yifan to search the royal treasury? Knowing the way scheming court officials have worked in the past, the royal treasurer has bound to have kept private records in his own residence. Those who scheme for the royal throne never trust each other enough to work without keeping secret records for use as blackmail later. In the meantime, I will send a message to the soldiers stationed in the cities on the way to Khitan and to Khitan itself to check for any records of the former Minister of Warfare’s movements there.” Zhiruo raised an eyebrow curiously.

 

“You have connections in Khitan too?” She asked. Yixing grinned and poked Zhiruo lightly on the nose.

 

“My uncle said we’re not allowed to trade with them, but he never said we couldn’t have friends among them.” He said, “I happened to be the peace envoy from a few years ago when Northern Qi signed a peace treaty with Khitan. While I was there, I happened to save the eldest prince from an assassination attempt, and we became friends ever since. He is one of their lead commanders, so I’m sure if there has been some movement in the weaponry trade, he will know.” Zhiruo smiled and wrapped her arms around Yixing’s waist.


“It seems fate had everything set up perfectly for us.” She said softly. Yixing chuckled and hugged her warmly.

 

“Indeed.” He agreed, “But we will have to move fast. If any of our main players hears about my investigating, then evidence may be destroyed before I get to it, if there is anything left at all.” Zhiruo nodded and sighed.

 

“I trust that you can do it.” She replied softly.

____________________________________________________________________________

Another few months later

 

As Yixing had feared, most of the records of the former Minister of Warfare’s movements from three years ago had been erased long ago. In one city on the way to Khitan however, an old record was found showing that Wen Hong had indeed passed through it repeatedly during the proper time frame. Yifan was also able to find secret records from the royal treasurer’s home, where he had recorded all the money he had lent the former Minister of Warfare for trading with Khitan. Around the same time that evidence revealed itself to Yixing and Zhiruo, a letter arrived from Khitan that Yixing’s friend had located a weapons merchant who had been secretly selling weapons to a rich man from Northern Qi. The buyer was described as a nobleman with a large group of soldiers at his command, and paid with coins stamped with a royal emblem. The letter stated that the physical records from the merchant would be brought over the border by a member of the Khitanese ambassador’s group, who was traveling to the capital of Northern Qi to participate in the celebrations for the king’s upcoming birthday. The messenger would stay back to arrive slightly later than the rest of the group, which would allow Yixing time to obtain the documents without drawing the attention of too many pairs of eyes. The timing would be perfect; after Yixing obtained the documents, he would bring it along with the rest of the evidence to the king, where he and all the high ranking court officials including former Minister of Warfare Wen Hong were enjoying the birthday celebration. There would be no escape from facing charges for their crimes. Although it wouldn’t be enough to show that Zhang Yiwei had been planning a coup, it was enough to take away a large amount of his support in the royal court. As for whether the whole matter involved Zhiruo's family's demise, that would come out soon enough.

___________________________________________________________________________

Zhiruo

 

As the king’s birthday celebration came closer, Zhiruo began to feel unwell. She was often sick in the morning, grew exhausted easily, and found it difficult to keep food down. One day, while making an herbal tonic for Concubine Lan, she almost collapsed in the kitchen itself. Given that she could possibly be finding at least part of the answer to her family’s demise soon, she chalked up her exhaustion to stress and worrying about the success of the matter. Royal power plays were dangerous, and no one knew what the next step would hold. Success or failure depended on how well each player was prepared. It also didn’t help that because the banquet was coming soon, each concubine wanted to look her best and improve her body’s condition so as to attract the king’s attention that night, which meant Zhiruo was constantly busy either visiting one concubine or the other, as well as making various tonics for them. As for the rest, it was just likely a stomach bug that would go away soon. Instinct told her it could be something else, but Zhiruo pushed the thought away. It was more important to focus on the bigger task at hand right now. One day, as she approached the Crown Prince’s quarters to visit one of his concubines, she heard his loud voice exclaim from inside the front room.

 

“What do you mean they got the records?” He yelled before a loud voice shushed him.

 

“Be quiet!” The voice snapped, “Do you want everyone to hear you?” Zhiruo frowned and stepped slightly closer to the door to listen.

 

“Do not panic, Your Highness.” The second voice continued, “Even if they have the evidence, that doesn’t mean anything. I have already arranged for assassins to get rid of the Prince of Lanling when he goes to fetch the documents. After he is dead, whoever is guilty is up to us to decide, now isn’t it?” Zhiruo’s eyes widened, and she staggered slightly as her breath caught in .

 

Assassins?

 

Yixing was an excellent fighter, but who knew who the assassins were? Indeed, who knew what else there was to this plan to get rid of Yixing?

 

“Princess Shangguan?” A voice interrupted her thoughts, and Zhiruo blinked as she looked down to see a maid peering at her curiously.

 

“Are you alright, Your Highness?” She asked, “You look pale.” Zhiruo swallowed hard and took a moment to collect herself before smiling and nodding.

 

“I was just a little dizzy.” She lied, “I’m okay now.”

 

“Lady Shangguan?” Crown Prince Yiwei called from inside, “Is that you? Do come inside.” Zhiruo took a deep breath before stepping inside the room, where Crown Prince Yiwei was sitting with an older man.

 

“Sister in law, this is the royal treasurer, Lord Chen.” He introduced. Zhiruo pressed a faint smile to her lips and dipped into a polite curtsey. Knowing that the royal treasurer was likely involved with her family’s death, it took all of Zhiruo’s willpower to stop from attacking the man right then and there.

 

“It is a pleasure to meet you.” She said, “I am Shangguan Zhiruo.”

 

“So you are the famous Princess Consort.” Lord Chen said smoothly, “It is an honor to meet you at last.” Zhiruo nodded in return, then looked at Crown Prince Yiwei.

 

“Your Highness, I came to look at Concubine Yi.” She said, “If you will excuse me, I will fulfill my duty now.” The crown prince waved her off, and Zhiruo hurried through the room to the back where the doors led to the other parts of the crown prince’s quarters. Zhiruo felt go dry as she shut the doors behind her.

I must warn Yixing!

 

After she stepped through the door, the crown prince murmured softly to the royal treasurer.

 

“Add some more assassins to the group you prepared. She must have heard something.”


 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing was slightly startled by the news, but nevertheless calm.

 

“It’s as I expected.” He said grimly, “The merchant couldn’t have been trusted to keep his mouth shut. He must have sent something to tell Wen Hong, who then told the royal treasurer. It was only a matter of time for him to realize Yifan took his records after that.”

 

“Perhaps you should take some soldiers with you.” Zhiruo suggested, “Just in case?” Yixing shook his head.

 

“It would attract too much attention.” He said, “No soldiers but the imperial guard is allowed to be at the king’s birthday celebration.”

 

“But…” Zhiruo began to protest, but Yixing pressed a finger to her lips.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, you don’t usually worry like this.” He said, “What’s wrong?” Zhiruo swallowed hard.

 

“I’m not doubting your abilities.” She replied, “But the more we investigate, the more powerful people there are involved. Who knows what sort of assassins could be sent, or how many there will be?” Yixing squeezed her hands gently.

 

“No matter how many there are, I’ll be okay.” He assured her, “I am the Prince of Lanling. I’ll be okay.” Zhiruo frowned and looked down, worried tears bubbling up in her eyes.

 

Ugh, what’s wrong with me? My emotions have been all over the place lately!

 

She blew out her breath slowly and looked up at Yixing.

 

“Alright.” She said, “But I’m coming with you.” Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous!” He exclaimed, “That isn’t the sort of place where you should be.” Zhiruo shook her head and gripped Yixing’s arm firmly.

 

“I am the wife of the Prince of Lanling.” She said, “I ran onto the battlefield to save my husband’s life, and went through the plague with him. There is nothing that can stop me from coming with you to pick up evidence against a corrupt official. If I’m with you, then there will be someone to watch your back.” Yixing gazed at her for a long moment before sighing.

 

“Alright.” He said, giving in, “But you must listen to me, got it?” Zhiruo nodded and gripped his hands tightly.

 

“I promise.”

 

________________________________________________________________________

The day to meet with the Khitan messenger soon arrived, as well as the king’s birthday celebration. In the early morning light, Yixing and Zhiruo prepared to leave to meet with the messenger. Yixing sighed as he carefully secured a white cape around Zhiruo’s shoulders.

 

“Remember to stay close to me.” He reminded her as he placed his hands on Zhiruo’s shoulders, “No matter what happens, do not leave my side.” Zhiruo nodded and closed her hands over his.

 

“I remember.” She promised. The royal couple set off on horseback, but not without noticing the subtle movements of people following their every move, including the one that ran off from near Yixing’s manor as soon as they departed.

 

“It seems like they are getting impatient.” Zhiruo murmured softly to Yixing as they headed towards the city gates. Yixing smirked.

 

“That is natural.” He replied, “But they will not make a move before I get the evidence in my hands. Their target is me, so they won’t try anything that will get a Khitanese person dead on Northern Qi soil.” As he predicted, their journey out of the city was perfectly smooth. After the materials had exchanged hands, Yixing and Zhiruo began to make their way back to the royal palace. As soon as the Khitan messenger disappeared further down the road, Zhiruo began to become acutely aware of rustling movements along the grass lining the dirt road they were traveling on.

 

“Yixing.” She whispered softly, and her husband nodded in understanding before clasping Zhiruo’s arms tighter around his waist.

 

“Hold on tight.” He warned before urging their horse into a gallop. As they rushed along the road, Zhiruo heard a rush of movement from nearby, and their horse reared as a volley of arrows flew out from the grass and landed on the dirt road right in front of them. Yixing and Zhiruo were sent tumbling off their horse, and Yixing grasped onto Zhiruo tightly as he made sure to cushion her fall.

 

“Are you alright?” He gasped as they sat up. Zhiruo nodded, but before she could say anything, the royal couple found themselves surrounded by black clad assassins. Yixing shoved the small stack of documents into Zhiruo’s hands.

 

“Hold onto this.” He ordered, “And stay close to me.” In a series of quick, fluid movements, Yixing began to take down the assassins, all while managing to keep Zhiruo safely tucked behind him. As Zhiruo had feared though, the royal treasurer had sent a large amount of assassins; their numbers poured out from the surrounding forest almost at the same rate that Yixing was killing the most recent attacker. As Yixing grabbed Zhiruo and rolled them out of the way of the newest attack, Zhiruo caught a flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye. Her eyes widened as she saw an archer taking aim at Yixing from behind a tree. Yixing, who was currently distracted by another assassin, didn’t seem to notice.

 

“Yixing!” Zhiruo cried, “Move!”