Chapter 21: Heir to the Prince of Lanling

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

Yixing

 

For the next hour, Yixing was allowed to stay by Zhiruo’s side at her insistence as her pains increased. Typically, husbands would have been sent out of the mother-to-be’s chambers long before then, but Zhiruo wasn’t taking no for an answer, and nobody dared to question her insistence more than twice. Yixing flinched slightly as her grip tightened once more on his bicep. Zhiruo’s small hands were surprisingly capable of quite the strong grasp, but Yixing didn’t dare to as she lowered her head against his chest with a stifled moan. Instead, he cupped a hand gently to her clammy cheek, his chest tightening at the sight of his love’s pain.

 

“Ruo’er…” He murmured softly, “Be strong, my princess. You’ll be okay.” Zhiruo laughed weakly as the pain passed and she raised her head to look at him.

 

“I am wife to the best warrior in the country.” She replied, “How can I continue in that position if I cannot even manage to take this amount of pain?” Yixing sighed and took advantage of the break between contractions to kiss Zhiruo sweetly.

 

“I love you, my little kitten.” He murmured, “You are the strongest woman I know.” Zhiruo returned the kiss briefly with a soft sigh before pulling away with a soft cry as another contraction took over her body. As it passed, Zhiruo released her grip on Yixing’s arms and exhaled deeply before looking back up at him.

 

“I think it’s time you step outside.” She announced. Yixing stared at her in confusion.

 

“Why?” He asked, feeling more confused than he had ever been in his life. He knew next to nothing about childbirth, and it frustrated him to know that his ability to help his wife was extremely limited. Zhiruo took his hand and placed it near the bottom of her stomach. As the next contraction hit, Yixing could just slightly feel the weight of the baby pressing heavily against Zhiruo’s lower body.

 

“It’s almost time to push.” Zhiruo said softly, “You shouldn’t be in here for that.” Yixing stared at her for a moment, feeling dazed. It was almost time to push...which meant…

 

I’m going to see my firstborn soon...I’m going to be a father to a living breathing child soon!

 

The thought itself was both startling in its reality and exciting at the same time. Zhiruo gave him a light shove towards the door.

 

“Go on.” She said softly. Yixing turned and gazed down at Zhiruo for a long moment. Even exhausted and sweaty from labor, his princess looked so beautiful in that moment. He strode forward and pressed a deep kiss against her lips.

 

“Remember, Ruo’er,” Yixing reminded, “This is simply a battle, and as the Princess of Lanling, it is one that you will surely win. I will be waiting for your victory.” Zhiruo smiled up at him.

 

“I love you, Zhang Yixing.” She replied. Yixing took both her hands into his and squeezed them lightly.

 

“May my strength be with you.” He said softly, pressing a kiss to her fingers. Then, he forced himself to let go of Zhiruo and slipped out of their chambers.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yifan greeted Yixing as he stepped out of the bedroom and shut the door behind him.

 

“Yixing, the soldiers are ready to move out.” He reported. Yixing sighed as he turned to look behind him. It was still silent now, but he had a feeling that chaos would break out soon enough. Yixing looked back at his brother and shook his head.

 

“Tell them to wait for a little while longer.” He ordered. Yifan frowned in confusion.

 

“But Brother, we should move out as soon as possible.” He protested cautiously, but Yixing’s stern gaze silenced him.

 

“I am not leaving my wife’s side while she is giving birth to our first child!” Yixing stated firmly, “Even if I cannot be inside with her, the least I can do is to watch over her from outside. As her husband, it is the least I can do for the woman I love and who has been through so much for me.” Yifan gazed at his brother, seeming to sense that there was no room to argue with the crown prince.

 

“Alright.” He agreed, “I’ll go tell them to wait.” Yixing nodded and turned back to gaze at the closed bedroom doors.

 

People of Northern Qi, please forgive my selfishness, he thought, But while I am a warrior, I am still a man and a husband, and I cannot leave my wife now.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the hours drew on, Yixing felt his panic and anxiety increase with each passing minute. It hadn’t been that long since Zhiruo told him to step outside, but to him, it felt like an eternity. What was taking so long? Had something gone wrong inside? Yixing’s heart felt like it had been stabbed each time Zhiruo cried out, and he wished that there was something he could do to alleviate even just a little of her discomfort. Multiple times, he came close to barging straight back into the room, societal conventions thrown to the wind, but he had stopped just outside the room doors. Yixing knew that he would be of little help inside, and would likely just create more trouble for Zhiruo and the palace midwives inside. No, it was better for him to wait outside. So, Yixing had to content himself with pacing outside the chambers as he waited for news to come. Then, as the first rays of dawn sunlight spread across the sky and chased the dark night away, Yixing heard Zhiruo cry out one more time, and then everything fell silent. He froze in midstep, his gaze falling on the shut chamber doors. Then, a few seconds later, a new sound spread across the courtyard, one that Yixing had never heard before. It was a loud wailing sound, high pitched and indignant. Slowly, Yixing realized what it was.

 

The baby! The baby has been born!

 

Yifan laughed and clapped Yixing on the back.

 

“The baby is here!” He declared with a laugh, “Congratulations Brother, you’re a father now!” Yixing stared stunned at the chamber doors as the sound of the newborn crying echoed in his ears, his feet frozen in place.

 

“I’m a father…” He finally whispered, “Yifan, I’m a father!” Yixing finally let himself laugh, and the two brothers embraced just before the chamber doors finally opened and Yixing turned to see the head midwife standing there.

 

“Congratulations, Your Highness!” She announced, “The princess consort has given birth to a healthy baby boy!” Yixing laughed and hurried up the stairs towards the chambers.

 

“And Zhiruo?” He demanded anxiously. The midwife laughed softly.

 

“The princess is exhausted, but she will be fine.” She replied, “You may come inside after the princess has been cleaned up.” A few moments later, a soft tired voice called out from further inside the room.

 

“Do let my husband in.” Zhiruo called, “I’m ready now.” Yixing grinned and hurried inside to greet his wife.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Zhiruo

 

Despite feeling completely drained of all energy, Zhiruo’s heart was warm as she carefully held the tiny squirming bundle in her arms. Her fingers trailed carefully over the infant’s tiny cheeks, the delicate fingers gripped in indignant fists as he protested at being pushed into this brand new world and out of his mother’s protective womb.

 

“Shh, little one.” Zhiruo murmured softly, “Mother is right here. I am right here.” She could still hardly believe that the tiny baby in her arms was the little creature that had formed and grown inside her for the past nine months, reacting to her voice with rolls and kicks and making her laugh when his motions tickled her belly. This was really her child, the first infant born of her and Yixing’s union. There was a flurry of movement by the door, and Zhiruo smiled as she heard Yixing’s voice from beyond the paper screen.

 

“Do let my husband in!” She called. A few moments later, Yixing appeared within her line of vision, and Zhiruo smiled as she carefully balanced her baby son in one arm and held out her hand to her husband.

 

“Come here, my love.” She called. Yixing approached her cautiously, his eyes wide as they laid on the bundle in Zhiruo’s arms. He carefully sat down next to Zhiruo and pulled back the edge of the blanket the child was wrapped in.

 

“This is our son.” Zhiruo said softly, “Isn’t he beautiful?” Yixing’s lips were parted slightly in awe as he gazed at the child, his eyes exploring the baby and drinking in every detail he could see.

 

“Ruo’er...he’s perfect.” Yixing declared, “He is absolutely perfect.” At the sound of Yixing’s voice, the baby’s eyes opened and his cries suddenly died down. Zhiruo stared in surprise at the sudden calm before laughing.

 

“It seems like the baby likes you already!” She teased, “And I was the one who did all the hard work!” Yixing laughed and pressed a loving kiss to Zhiruo’s forehead.

 

“You’ve worked hard, my love.” He said, “Thank you for giving me a perfect heir.” Zhiruo closed her eyes and let the warmth of Yixing’s lips rush through her body, washing away some of the exhaustion that had settled into her veins.

 

“I’m exhausted.” She replied, “But looking at our son, it was completely worth it.” Yixing chuckled and lightly the infant’s downy cheek with one finger.

 

“I don’t think I’ve ever felt so much love for one human being before.” He mused, before looking up at Zhiruo’s skeptical confusion.

 

“Besides you, my love.” He amended carefully, making Zhiruo laugh. Yixing wrapped an arm around Zhiruo and pulled her into a gentle hug.

 

“What should we name him?” He asked. Zhiruo thought for a moment, her gaze traveling over to the window where sunlight was beginning to stream inside.

 

“Zhang Yitai.” She replied, “After the early morning during which he was born. And when he grows up, I hope that he shines as brightly and brilliantly as the sun in the sky.” Yixing smiled and nodded in approval.

 

“Zhang Yitai…” He tried out the name, “I like it.” Zhiruo smiled as he lightly tapped his finger against the baby’s cheek.

 

“Tai’er, do you like your name?” He asked, “Your mother who worked very hard for you gave you this name. I hope you will live up to her expectations in the future.” The baby gurgled in response, a tiny smile turning up his lips. Zhiruo laughed at the sight.

 

“He resembles you.” She noted.

 

“No matter who he resembles, he is our firstborn son.” Yixing replied, “And I will surely teach him to be the best warrior in the country in the future.”

 

“Perhaps once he is bigger.” Zhiruo reminded him, and Yixing laughed in agreement.

 

“Yes, when he is older.” He agreed. There was the sound of footsteps by the door, and Zhiruo looked up as she heard Yifan’s voice.

 

“Brother, I don’t want to interrupt, but…” The elder prince trailed off, but Zhiruo knew what he was trying to say. Yitai’s sudden arrival had thrown off Yixing’s military plans, and it was clear that they were now behind schedule. Yixing hesitated, his lips pursed together silently. Zhiruo reached over and gently laid a hand on top of Yixing’s.

 

“Go on.” She said, “Go and do what you have to.” Yixing gazed at her for a long moment before sighing deeply.

 

“I do not want to leave you so soon.” He protested, but Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“Our country needs you more than I do now.” She said, “You’ve already stayed for Tai’er’s birth. As your crown princess, I cannot ask you to do more than that.” Yixing’s gaze was gentle as he cupped a hand to Zhiruo’s cheek.

 

“What did I do in my past life to deserve such an understanding wife?” He mused. Zhiruo grinned playfully.

 

“You must have saved the world.” She replied cheekily. Yixing chuckled and kissed her deeply on the lips.

 

“I’ll leave half of the royal army here to protect the palace.” He said, “If anything happens, send me a letter right away, do you understand?” Zhiruo nodded and cupped a hand to his cheek.

 

“Promise me you will come back alive.” She said, “We still have many things to do, and Tai’er still has many things to learn from you.” Yixing smiled and clasped his fingers around her hand.

 

“I swear I will return victorious and safely.” He replied, kissing her fingers lightly. Zhiruo felt her chest tighten as he promised. Usually, she wouldn’t have worried about Yixing’s fighting ability, but this time, she knew better than to take the enemy lightly. Given Yiwei’s long collaboration with Northern Zhou, it was hard to say if they knew of any of Northern Qi’s weaknesses, or Yixing’s weaknesses for that matter. With two armies to defeat and half of his forces left behind in the capital, there was a good chance Yixing would be outnumbered. Still, Zhiruo forced a smile to her face as she gazed up at her husband, her eyes memorizing every last detail of his face.

 

“I will be waiting.” She replied, “And so will Tai’er.” Yixing looked long and hard at their son one more time before kissing Zhiruo briefly.

 

“I will take my leave now, Lady Wife.” He said formally, bowing to Zhiruo as he rose from his seat. Zhiruo gazed up at him, unable to stop her tears from b in her eyes.

 

“Go, and come back quickly.” She replied, “And I swear if you come back heavily injured, there will be a price to pay.” Yixing laughed softly at that, but his expression was grim.

 

“I will keep that in mind.” He said, and turned to head for the door.

 

“Yixing!” Zhiruo called, unable to stop herself. Yixing turned slightly at the sound of his name, and Zhiruo swallowed hard as her voice cracked ever so slightly.

 

“I love you.” She said simply, “Don’t ever forget that.” A grim smile turned up the corner of Yixing’s lips at the declaration.

 

“And I will always love you as well.” He declared. Before either of them could find another reason to delay the crown prince’s departure again, Yixing stepped out of the door and disappeared into the early morning light.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

Yixing’s heart was heavy as he rode out of the palace at the front of his military. He paused briefly as they headed for the city, and turned to look at the royal palace behind him. A soft sigh escaped his lips.

 

Ruo’er, wait for me! I will surely come back to you triumphantly, and after that, you won’t ever have to worry about being attacked again. I swear that after I return, you will only live a life of peace and happiness.

 

Yixing’s expression hardened as he turned back and led his army on.

 

Zhang Yiwei, you just wait! This time, I am finished with being tolerant of you. I gave you a chance to live on inside the royal prisons, but you chose to give it up! This time, I will not let you escape again!