Chapter 13: Recovery

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

Yixing

 

The soft chirping of birds in the early morning light greeted Yixing’s ears as he opened his eyes slowly. For a long moment, he gazed up at the gold colored canopy above his bed. After a few seconds, he realized that for the first time in a while, his vision was crystal clear as opposed to the filmy haze that had settled over his vision over the past week. He took a deep breath experimentally, and was pleasantly surprised to realize that it no longer hurt to breathe.

 

The medicine worked!

 

Yixing slowly became aware of another presence nearby, and he turned his head to see Zhiruo fast asleep next to him, her head resting on her folded arms. Yixing felt a warm smile spread over his lips as he pushed himself up carefully and gazed at Zhiruo’s sleeping figure.

 

“She never left my side for even a moment…” He mused quietly as he looked down at her. After a few moments, Yixing reached out and gently patted Zhiruo on the head.

 

“Ruo’er.” He called softly, “You’ll get a stiff neck if you sleep like that.” She stirred slowly under his touch, her eyes opening in a sleepy daze. Yixing smiled in amusement as Zhiruo sat up and rubbed one eye sleepily, not quite registering what was going on.

 

“Good morning my love.” He said softly. Zhiruo stared at him for a moment, then her eyes widened as the sleepiness quickly faded away and she realized who was speaking.

 

“Yixing…!” She gasped. Yixing chuckled in amusement.

 

“Yes, that is my name.” He replied, “Did you sleep well?” Zhiruo stared at him for a moment before wordlessly pulling his hand towards her. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she carefully took his pulse. A hesitant smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she reached up and pressed the back of her hand against his forehead. Then, she reached down and tugged down the collar of his shirt and looked at the rash that had faded to a light pink over the night. Yixing chuckled softly and grasped her hand lightly.

 

“You are becoming increasingly forward, Lady Shangguan.” He teased. Zhiruo laughed in relief and threw her arms around him a tight hug.

 

“You’re okay!” She whispered fiercely, “You’re okay! The medicine worked! You’re alive!” Yixing laughed and wrapped his arms around her waist.

 

“Yes, I’m alright now.” He said softly, “Thanks to your efforts, I’ll be alright now.” He pulled away and cupped a hand gently to her cheek.

 

“You’ve suffered during this time, Ruo’er.” He said softly, “I’m sorry for putting you through this.” Tears bubbled to Zhiruo’s eyes and a sob broke free from her lips as she slapped him on the shoulder.

 

“You bastard!” She cried as she hit him again, “Who gave you permission to get sick? Who gave you permission to almost die? Don’t you know how worried I was? I thought I was going to lose you and end up all alone! You’re awful!” Yixing grasped her hand before she could hit him again and pulled Zhiruo into a tight hug.

 

“I know.” He murmured soothingly as he rubbed her back soothingly, “I know, Ruo’er, I know. I’m sorry for making you worry. I’ll make it up to you, I promise.” Zhiruo hiccuped as she rested her head against his shoulder, her body shaking as she hugged him.

 

“I don’t need repayment.” She sobbed, “I only want you to live safely and happily. That is enough for me.” Yixing chuckled softly and pulled away, rubbing a finger under her eyes to wipe at her tears.

 

“I promise.” He said, “I won’t come close to death like that ever again. So don’t cry anymore, okay? Your eyes are going to be all puffy.” Zhiruo huffed and hit him on the shoulder again.

 

“I cried more than once while you were half unconscious.” She hiccuped, “If my eyes look swollen, it’s all your fault.” Yixing laughed softly and pulled her into a soft kiss.

 

“Yes, it is all my fault.” He murmured, “Just blame me.” Zhiruo’s lips trembled as she kissed him back, and slowly, her shaking subsided as he hugged her gently, one hand rubbing gentle circles over her shoulder.

 

“Zhang Yixing.” She said softly.

 

“Hm?” Yixing asked, looking down at her. Zhiruo sighed softly and wrapped her arms around him tightly.

 

“I love you.” She said softly. Yixing chuckled and carefully kissed her forehead.

 

“I love you too.” Zhiruo sniffled and held up a hand.

 

“Swear that you’ll stay with me forever.” She said softly, “Yixing, I’ve already lost my entire family. I cannot bear to lose you too.” Yixing smiled and lightly linked his pinky with hers.

 

“I swear on my life.” He promised, “I will never leave you, Ruo’er.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Later that day

 

Yixing laughed softly as he took a walk outside with Zhiruo, her hand gently gripping his arm to support him.

 


“What is so funny?” She asked, looking up at him curiously. Yixing smiled and patted her hand lightly.

 

“I was thinking, this illness came suddenly and almost took my life,” He replied, “But in a way, it was a good thing that I got sick.” He gently cupped a hand to Zhiruo’s cheek and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

 

“At the very least, I know just how much you love me, and how much I was unwilling to leave you.” He replied, “My feelings for you are not just fleeting emotions, but they are very real.” Yixing sighed softly as he gazed at Zhiruo.

 

“Did you know?” He said, “When I was running a high fever, uncertain if what I was seeing was real or simply illusions, when it hurt so much that I thought that surely, this time I was going to die...I thought about how much I didn’t want to lose you, how it would hurt you to be all alone. And when I thought that, I got just a little bit more strength to survive for one more day.” He leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to Zhiruo’s hand.

 

“Thank you, Ruo’er, for staying by my side this entire time.” Yixing said softly. Zhiruo huffed softly, a pout gracing her lips.

 

“What, did you doubt my feelings for you before this?” She challenged teasingly. Yixing laughed and kissed her on the forehead again.

 

“Of course not.” He replied, “But before I go sick, there were countless times when I looked at you by my side and though to myself, ‘do I really deserve a woman as wonderful as her by my side? She is so wonderful, she deserves all things that are good in this world. Should I really hold her back from that bright future by making her stay with a man who is both beloved and hated by many? She could find a man who is less in the public eye and live a peaceful happy life from now on.” Yixing’s eyes widened as Zhiruo reached up and pressed a finger to his lips.

 

“Stop it.” She said firmly, “Zhang Yixing, don’t ever let me hear you say that ever again.” She leaned up on her tiptoes and pressed a quick but firm kiss to his lips.

 

“Ever since my father left me in your care, our fates were inextricably bound together.” She said, “No matter what happens, my heart belongs to you alone, and I want to be nowhere else but by your side. No matter how dangerous it is, I am not going anywhere. I am not afraid.”  Yixing reached down and tucked a strand of loose hair behind Zhiruo’s ear before cupping her cheek in his hand.

 

“You are ridiculously brave.” He murmured softly. Zhiruo smiled cheekily.

 

“Isn’t that what it takes to be the Prince of Lanling’s woman?” She replied. Yixing let out an amused chuckle, and he felt his chest swell with love for the woman standing in front of him. Yes, he hadn’t chosen wrong when he had given his heart to the young mysterious physician who had saved him on the battlefield.

 

I must have saved the world and then some in my past life to deserve such a wonderful woman.

 

“But Ruo’er, there is one thing I don’t understand.” He said after a few moments, “How did you stay with me this entire time and not get sick?” Zhiruo frowned as she pondered over the question.

 

“It’s hard to say.” She replied, “You got sick after just taking one trip around the city, while I was fine all this time. It’s not recorded how dengue fever gets spread but…” Her voice trailed off as she looked at his hand, then her eyes lit up.

 

“The bug bite!” She exclaimed. Yixing frowned in confusion.

 

“The bug bite?” He repeated. Zhiruo nodded.

 

“I remember that day by the river, there were many mosquitoes flying around.” She replied, “And when we returned, you had been bitten. Some of the patients I looked at also had mosquito bites on their arms.” She clapped her hands in delight.

 

“The illness must be spread by the mosquitoes!” She exclaimed. Yixing looked at her in amusement before bursting into laughter.

 

“What does Your Highness find so amusing?” Zhiruo asked with a huff. Yixing chuckled and poked her on the forehead.

 

“You are surely the only woman in this world who would get so excited over a mosquito bite.” He teased. Zhiruo pouted and muttered something under her breath as she poked at his hand.

 

“Your Highness always likes to tease me.” She grumbled as she turned away, her arms crossed. Yixing looked at her sulking figure and laughed softly before wrapping her arms around her from behind.

 

“Alright, I won’t tease you anymore.” He said softly, “I don’t want to make my wife unhappy.” Zhiruo’s heart pounded under his arms at the endearment, and he could hear shyness color her voice as she ducked her head, cheeks surely turning pink.

 

“Who said I was your wife?” She mumbled. Yixing turned her around and leaned close to her.

 

“Oh? Do you think I forgot the question I asked last night?” He replied, an amused smirk turning up the corner of his lips. Zhiruo’s eyes widened, clearly remembering the promise as well.

 

“I don’t know what Your Highness is talking about.” She mumbled anyway, a defiant pout on her lips. Yixing chuckled and pressed a deep kiss to her lips.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, you know that lying to royalty is a heavy crime, don’t you?” He murmured against her lips, “Be careful, I might order heavy punishment on you.” Zhiruo huffed and tilted her chin up defiantly.

 

“Your subject is not afraid.” She replied calmly, “Your Highness would never bear to punish me.” Yixing raised an eyebrow.

 

“Oh?” He said as Zhiruo turned away. Yixing stepped forward so that he stood right behind Zhiruo, and leaned down to speak next to her ear.

 

“Who says your punishment has to be now?” He whispered, “I still intend to ask my uncle for your hand when we return. And when that happens…” Zhiruo froze for a moment, the wheels in her head turning as she processed the rest of his unspoken sentence. She squealed as his words sunk in, and she turned to hit him on the chest.

 

“Zhang Yixing, you are so dirty!” She cried, cheeks turning bright pink. Yixing laughed and grasped her hands tightly.

 

“I didn’t say anything.” He warned, “Shangguan Zhiruo, where has your mind gone?” Zhiruo groaned and buried her face in her hands.

 

“Your Highness always embarrasses me!” She wailed. Yixing laughed and pulled her hands away from her face.

 

“Alright, alright, I’ll stop.” He said with an amused smile. Zhiruo whined adorably as he pulled her into a hug.

 

“Your Highness is so mean!” She huffed.

 

“But you still love me?” Yixing asked softly.

 

“No.” Zhiruo muttered, but returned the hug tightly all the same. Yixing laughed and kissed her on the forehead.

 

“You liar.”

___________________________________________________________________________

 

As it turned out, Zhiruo’s intuition was right. After giving orders for the entire city to avoid visiting the river next to the city without taking proper precautions and to place the appropriate plants in their homes to drive mosquitoes away, the mortality rate rapidly began to decrease. Combined with Zhiruo’s medication, the city was already returning to its former state within a week. While that solved one problem however, it led very quickly to another one.

 

_______________________________________________________________________

Zhiruo

 

Yixing growled in frustration, and Zhiruo jumped slightly as he slammed the sheet of paper from Prince Yifan onto his desk.

 

“Northern Zhou is getting impatient, isn’t it?” He growled. Prince Yifan nodded solemnly, his lips drawn into a grim line. News had arrived from spies that the Northern Zhou army had begun moving again upon receiving news that the plague had been stopped, and Yixing would have to lead his troops through the city quickly to stop them before they came too close.

 

“In any other situation I wouldn’t have been worried, but…” His voice trailed off, but Zhiruo could easily guess at what the third prince had left unsaid. Although it had been a week since Yixing had begun recovering, Zhiruo estimated that it would take at least another week or so for him to return to full health. Even after that, he would still have much work to do before his strength returned to what it had been before he caught dengue fever. Even sparring with Prince Yifan would have to be done carefully. Going into battle in his current state was essentially out of the question. Yixing sighed in frustration.

 

“I can’t just sit here and wait for them to attack the city gates!” He said in exasperation. He looked over at Zhiruo sitting on her side of the tent and hesitated before speaking.

 

“Zhiruo, do you know of any medicine that can make me strong enough for battle?” He asked, “Even if it lasts only for a day, it will be enough.” Zhiruo bit her lip and put down the book she had been reading.

 

“I do know of some.” She said, “It’s not difficult to make, but I wouldn’t advise you to use it. Medicine that artificially increases your strength and energy is known for rendering the user extremely weak afterwards. In your current state, if that happens…” Yixing shook his head.

 

“Make it for me.” He ordered, “I will lead my troops through the city in two days to meet the Northern Zhou army.” Zhiruo looked up sharply.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous!” She cried, “You need to rest for at least another week!” Yixing sighed.

 

“I know.” He replied, “But I am their leader, and I know what I came here for. I will not let my men go without a leader while I sit here hiding like a coward.”

 

“Perhaps Lady Shangguan is right.” Prince Yifan interjected, “Your body is indeed still very weak. If we act rashly, you might end up worse than you are now. Allow me to lead the troops to meet the Northern Zhou army.” Yixing looked up sharpy at his brother.

 

“Absolutely not!” He said firmly, “I will not let you face danger all alone! I am not a weakling who hides behind his brother.” The aggravating topic sent Yixing into a coughing fit again, and Zhiruo hurried to pour him some water.

 

“Yixing, you won’t even make it to the battlefield in this state.” Prince Yifan reasoned. Yixing took a deep breath.

 

“That is why I need the medicine from Zhiruo.” He replied, “If I have that, at least my body can last until the battle is over. I will end it within one day.”

 

“But…” Zhiruo spoke again, but Yixing carefully closed his hand over hers and gave it a light squeeze.

 

“Ruo’er.” He said softly, “I will be okay. I was sick, but I am still a warrior. My body can withstand many things beyond your imagination. A little extra weakness is not going to do much harm to me.” The prince leaned forward and kissed her forehead gently, sending flutters through Zhiruo’s chest.

 

“Trust me.” He said earnestly, “I will be alright.” Zhiruo gazed up into Yixing’s dark gaze before blowing out her breath slowly. While she would prefer otherwise, Zhiruo knew that there was nothing that could Yixing from the battlefield, especially when he had already taken her medicine for the plague.

 

“Even the Prince of Lanling, the god of war, has his weaknesses sometimes.” She said at last, “But this time, I trust that you will stay strong throughout the battle, and come back to me alive.” Yixing smiled warmly as he realized how Zhiruo was answering his request.

 

“I swear I will come back without a scratch.” He replied.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Two days later, Pingyang, Yixing

 

Yixing could feel Zhiruo’s gaze on him as he slipped on the many layers of silver armor. The young physician sat at the table in the middle of the room, her hands clenching slightly in her lap. The rising morning sun glittered off the silver material of his armor, sending rays of light scattering across the room they were in. After the entire population had been treated for dengue fever, Yixing had moved his army into one of the inns in the city, where they prepared for two days straight for the upcoming battle with Northern Zhou. A soft sigh escaped Zhiruo’s lips as she rose to help adjust one of Yixing’s shoulder pads.

 

“I still wish I could go with you.” She said softly, biting her lip. Yixing chuckled softly and took her hands in his.

 

“The battlefield is not a place for someone like you to be.” He replied, “You are a physician, not a warrior.” He raised a hand as Zhiruo opened to protest.

 

“I know, you’ve been on the battlefield before.” He said, “But active battle is an entirely different game. I want you to stay safe, and I cannot be sure of that unless you are here instead of with me.” Zhiruo blew out her breath slowly and nodded.

 

“I know.” She said quietly, “But, what if the enemy realizes which one is the real you and attacks only you instead? What if they have a weapon you’ve never seen before? What if…?” Her voice trailed off as Yixing leaned forward and pressed a finger to her lips.

 

“You are worrying so much today.” He murmured, “It is not like you, Shangguan Zhiruo.” Zhiruo ducked her head, a soft pout on her lips.

 

“Well, you’re not usually headed to battle with only a half recovered body.” She replied, “It is only natural for a physician to worry about her patient in this situation.” Yixing raised an eyebrow.

 

“Only a physician’s worry for a patient?” He teased. Zhiruo’s cheeks flushed slightly pink as she raised her head to look at him shyly.

 

“No.” She replied softly, “There is also a woman’s worry for her man.” Yixing felt his chest grow warm as he reached out and cupped Zhiruo’s cheek in his hand.

 

“Don’t worry so much.” He said softly, “I am the god of war. I’ll be fine.” Deep down, he knew that Zhiruo’s worries were not unfounded. Even while he was simply standing, his armor felt like it weighed double what it usually did. Although he had experimentally sparred with Yifan yesterday, the short exertion had left him feeling exhausted. Yixing could only imagine what it would feel like to go into a full battle in this state. But, he knew that he could neither hide behind his men nor let Zhiruo worry too much. As both the army’s leader and Zhiruo’s future husband, he could at least do that much. Zhiruo sighed and nodded. She pulled away from his grasp to hand him a bowl of medicine that she had been keeping on the table.

 

“Here.” She said as she handed it to him, “Drink this. Your energy should be boosted for about a day, but it will quickly fade afterwards. You must finish the battle and begin returning before the effects fade.” Yixing looked down at the golden colored liquid and sniffed it experimentally before downing its contents.

 

“That is disgusting.” He grumbled as he handed the bowl back to Zhiruo. Zhiruo laughed softly as her hands closed over the bowl.

 

“Bitter medicine is good for you, Your Highness.” She replied. As she replaced the bowl onto the table, a tiny smile lifted up the corner of her lips. Before Yixing could register what she was doing, Zhiruo leaned up on her tiptoes and pressed a quick kiss to his lips. Yixing’s eyes widened at the sudden move, his heart fluttering in his chest. A mischievous grin played across Zhiruo’s face as she pulled away.

 

“A sweet to chase down the bitterness of your medicine.” She explained playfully. Yixing stared at her for a moment before bursting into laughter.

 

This woman...she truly has me completely wrapped around her finger! I simply cannot resist anything she does. Shangguan Zhiruo, you are the only woman who makes me feel this way.

 

He reached out and pulled her close against his chest, his arms looping tightly around her waist.

 

“That is a sweet that I would like to partake more in.” He said, and before Zhiruo could respond, he captured her lips in a deep kiss. He could feel the effects of the medicine coursing through his body, combining with the warmth of Zhiruo in his arms to set his body aflame. For just a few seconds, Yixing wanted to selfishly stop time in that moment, to keep the rest of the world away from him and Zhiruo forever. A soft knock interrupted the moment though, and Zhiruo pulled away quickly as a new voice spoke.

 

“I hate to interrupt,” Yifan said from the doorway, “But it’s time to set out.” Yixing scowled and looked over at his brother. The elder prince stood just outside the room entrance, dressed in the same exact armor as Yixing. According to the plan they had settled on, Yifan and Yixing would both dress like the Prince of Lanling, wearing the exact same mask as well. That way, the enemy would be unsure which leader was Yixing under the mask, and attention would be split between the two men. Yixing would lead one group of men to attack first, and then Yifan would lead the second group from around the back. The early morning timing was crucial as well; if Yixing caught the Northern Zhou army offguard, everything would begin in their favor.

 

“You’re no fun, Yifan.” He grumbled good naturedly. Yifan laughed softly.

 

“You can kiss my sister in law all you want after we return victorious and you marry her.” He replied, “I’ll personally keep people from interrupting your wedding night.” Zhiruo ducked her head in embarrassment, and Yixing chuckled softly as he ruffled Zhiruo’s hair.

 

“I will hold you to that promise, Yifan.” He replied. Zhiruo followed the two men as they headed downstairs to where the army was waiting, Yixing’s mask in her hands. Yixing reached out and squeezed her hand gently.

 

“I’ll be going now.” He said. Zhiruo nodded silently. She hesitated for a moment, then reached up to carefully slip the grotesque silver mask over Yixing’s face. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she gently patted the edge of the mask.

 

“Come back soon.” She said softly. Yixing smiled gently, although he knew Zhiruo couldn’t see it. He swallowed hard and bowed to Zhiruo, the rest of his army following suit.

 

“I swear I will return victorious, my lady.” He promised. Zhiruo smiled faintly and nodded.

 

“When you return, I will tell you everything.” She promised in return, “All that happened before I came here...I will keep nothing a secret from you.” Yixing grinned.

 

“I will look forward to hearing it.” He replied.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Lots of fluff for everyone here! Just as an FYI, I don't intend to detail the battle scene too much (I personally find them rather boring when it gets overly detailed in televsion dramas) but I will have a section for it in the next chapter. I haven't forgotten the big grand overarching mystery, I'll have answers to it, I promise! 

Also, on a rather unrelated note, what are everyone's thoughts on love stories that span multiple lifetimes? I was thinking of revamping one of my older Yixing stories into a series spanning three lifetimes.