Chapter 18: The Fall of a Princess

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

As the days passed, Zhiruo’s body grew stronger, and Yixing was careful to keep his wife well rested and safe. Her physician duties were kept to a minimum, and multiple maids followed her wherever she went. For a while, everything seemed to be going smoothly. It seemed that after the three high ranking court officials had been dragged down, no one dared to touch the Prince and Princess of Lanling. The day came for the former Minister of Warfare to be executed, and Yixing arrived at the royal prison to oversee the act. The older man looked up and smirked as Yixing arrived at his prison cell.

 

“The Prince of Lanling has come to see me off.” He commented, “It is my honor.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“If I don’t personally see you dead I will find it hard to appease the hatred I have for you.” He growled. Wen Hong simply laughed.

 

“Let me say this, Prince of Lanling.” He said, “Yoi have picked a dangerous opponent to fight. This time, even the god of war may not survive. And that includes the dangerous woman by your side. She is too intelligent.” Yixing smirked.

 

“On the contrary, I feel quite safe with my princess by my side.” He replied, “And I will personally watch Zhang Yiwei fall. But for today, I will obtain vengeance for my teacher’s death.” Wen Hong’s expression was calm as he watched a eunuch being forward the poisoned wine.

 

“I hope your confidence is not misplaced, Zhang Yixing.” He said simply before downing the wine. After the man was pronounced dead, Yixing turned and exited the prison cell.

 

I swear that I will be the final winner in this fight.

 

_________________________________________________

Zhiruo

 

Zhiruo peered curiosity at the boiling pot of medicine and stirred its contents to see if the prenatal medicine was ready. Yixing had told her to rest as much as possible, but with her duties minimized and her husband out of the house, Zhiruo was becoming bored out of her mind. There was a limit to how entertaining sewing for the baby could be. Even reading was quickly becoming boring. Zhiruo picked up the pot of medicine and poured it into a porcelain bowl, wrinkling her nose at the thick herbal smell. How did people drink this? The scent made Zhiruo want to gag, but she had been put under strict orders to drink it every day.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Zhiruo froze and turned to give Yixing a sheepish smile.

 

“Welcome home, my love!” She chirped, but Yixing was not distracted. Zhiruo sighed as he raised an eyebrow at the pot she was holding.

 

“I was bored.” She explained simply. Yixing sighed.

 

“Don’t you know how dangerous the kitchen can be when you’re pregnant?” He asked, “Just let the servants make the medicine.” Zhiruo pouted as Yixing picked up her tray of medicine.

 

“Being pregnant doesn’t mean I have to be coddled for every second of it.” She protested, “Exercise is good for me too!”

 

“In limited amounts and situations.” Yixing added as they made their way back to their rooms. He placed the tray on the tea table and helped Zhiruo sit down.

 

“Just because you are in your fourth month now doesn’t mean you can be less careful.” He reminded. Zhiruo sighed and pouted again.

 

“I know.” She replied resignedly. Yixing chuckled and leaned down to kiss her sweetly.

 

“Don’t pout, my love.” He said softly, “You’ll get wrinkles if you do that too much.” Zhiruo squealed and hit him lightly on the chest.

 

“Don’t joke about that!” She huffed. Yixing laughed and turned to look for a set of clean clothes to change into. After he turned away, Zhiruo ran a hand over her growing stomach.

 

“Your father always worries so much.” She muttered. “Your mother is always very careful!” As she spoke, Zhiruo felt a flutter of movement under her fingers. Her eyes widened.

 

Was that…?

 

“Did you just respond to me?” Zhiruo whispered. A few moments later, Zhiruo felt a tumbling movement under her hand, followed by a nudge from inside her belly. A soft gasp escaped her lips, and Yixing turned around sharply at the sound.

 

“What’s wrong?” He asked, rushing to her side. Zhiruo shook her head and laughed in delight.

 

“Yixing, the baby...I just felt the baby kick!” She exclaimed. Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“You did?” He gasped, his eyes growing wide. Zhiruo took his hand and placed it near the middle of her belly.

 

“Right here!” She said excitedly. A few second later, Zhiruo felt another kick that was even stronger than the previous one. Yixing’s eyes were wide with wonder.

 

“That was a strong kick.” He said with a laugh. Zhiruo smiles ruefully and rubbed at the spot.

 

“I’ll say.” She grumbled, “I’m going to have a lot of fun feeling those for the next five months. The baby takes after you already!” Yixing laughed.

 

“That’s not a bad thing Ruo’er.” He said with an amused smile.

 

“You can try getting kicked.” Zhiruo huffed. Yixing laughed and pressed his ear to Zhiruo’s stomach.

 

“Child, be good to your mother, okay?” He said, “Father will teach you martial arts when you are born, so you can kick all you want then.” Zhiruo squeaked as the baby kicked in response to Yixing’s voice, making him laugh. He smiled Ashe looked up at Zhiruo.

 

“I’ll have to trouble you with carrying our rambunctious child, Lady Wife.” He said softly. Zhiruo grinned and poked Yixing on the cheek

 

“I expect you to do your fair share in raising the baby, Lord Husband.” She replied. Yixing laughed.

 

“Of course.” He agreed.

 

_______________________________________

 

A few weeks later, Zhiruo

 

A few weeks later, Zhiruo’s initial delight at feeling her baby move turned into concern for her child’s wellbeing. Her initially active child began to kick less, and when it did move, the kicks were weaker than before. Zhiruo couldn’t help but worry. With the fifth month of pregnancy approaching, the baby’s movements should have been increasing rather than decreasing. When Zhiruo checked her pulse, the baby was still alive, but when Zhiruo began to feel cramps near the bottom of her stomach, she knew something was wrong.

 

“Yixing.” She said one day as they were walking in the manor garden, “I’m afraid.”

 

“Of what?” Yixing asked. Zhiruo bit her lip worriedly.

 

“I’m afraid I may be losing the baby.” She admitted. Yixing froze mid-step and turned to stare at her.

 

“Why do you say that?” He asked, “You’ve been healthy this whole time, and no one in the physician bureau said that anything was wrong.” Zhiruo swallowed hard.

 

“I know.” She said, “But it’s just a feeling I have. The baby has been moving less, and I began to get cramps a few days ago.” She raised her eyes worriedly to Yixing.

 

“Cramps aren’t supposed to start for another few months.” She said softly. Yixing’s brow furrowed worriedly.

 

“Do you have any idea what might be causing it?” He asked. Zhiruo thought for a few moments.

 

“The symptoms are appearing suddenly without any warning.” She mused, “I have been extremely careful and followed the royal physician bureau’s orders. If this is happening so strangely, then that likely means…”

 

“Someone is behind this.” Yixing finished the thought grimly. His hand clenched into a fist.

 

“I will order a search of the entire manor immediately for anything that was cause a miscarriage.” He said, “I won’t tolerate anyone trying to harm my wife and child.” Yixing reached out and hugged Zhiruo gently.

 

“I will surely find the culprit and put an end to this.” He swore. Zhiruo nodded and ran her hands worriedly over her stomach.

 

Please be alright, my child.

 

_______________________________________

 

Under Yixing’s orders, the entire Fourth Prince Manor was turned inside out, and everything that Zhiruo could have come into contact with was laid out for inspection. After everything was inspected though, nothing seemed to be wrong.

 

“The culprit must have removed all evidence as soon as you ordered the search.” Zhiruo noted to Yixing, “The entire manor has been under tight security, so they couldn’t have taken it out yet.”

 

“Which means that tonight, the culprit will likely think that it is safe to destroy the evidence.” Yixing concluded. Zhiruo nodded in agreement.

 

“All we have to do now is wait.” She said.

 

______________________________________________________

 

As night fell on Fourth Prince Manor, a small figure stayed out from the maids’ quarters and hurried towards the back of the manor with a bundle in her hands. Upon reaching a secluded back corner, she lit a fire with two dry branches and clutches the bundle tightly in her hands.

 

“Forgive me, Prince, Princess!” She whispered before letting go of the bundle over the fire. Right before the bundle hit the fire, an arrow flew through the air and pierced the knot the maid had tied the bundle shut with, sending jt back from the fire and pinning it to the tree behind the maid instead. The maid fell to her knees with a frightened cry as Yixing appeared, a large group of soldiers behind him.

 

“Your Highness!” She exclaimed. Yixing’s eyes glittered dangerously in the moonlight.

 

“Cui’er, you have some explaining to do.” He said coldly. The young maid was dragged to her feet and deposited along with her bundle in the front meeting room where Zhiruo was waiting. Yixing opened the bundle for Zhiruo to see, and her eyes widened at the sight of its contents.

 

“These are all herbs used to induce a miscarriage.” She said, “Cui’er, you are one of my personal maids, and I’ve never treated you poorly! Why did you do this to me?” Cui’er’s hands trembled as she gazed up at Yixing and Zhiruo.

 

“Your Highness, please forgive me!” She wailed, “It was the Crown Princess who told me to do this! She found out that my brother owes a large gambling debt and said she would help him pay it as long as I sprinkled a little of these herbs into Lady Zhiruo’s food and scent pouch every day!” Her hands shook as she pulled an envelope from her waistband and held it up.

 

“The Crown Princess signed and stamped a letter stating her promise!” She cried, “She said she would buy my freedom too as long as Lady Zhiruo lost the baby” Yixing took the envelope from her hands, and his eyes narrowed as he and Zhiruo read over the contents. Cui’er was right.

 

“It seems like we have to make a midnight visit to the palace.” He said grimly.

 

______________________________________________________

 

An hour later, the king was roused from his sleep on Yixing’s insistence and met with Yixing and Zhiruo in his study.

 

“Yixing, what on earth could be the matter that you would arrive in the middle of the night?” He demanded. Yixing bowed politely.

 

“Forgive me, Royal Uncle.” He said, “But I am afraid if this matter is not dealt with right now, the royal bloodline will be harmed!” The king drowned in confusion.

 

“What are you talking about?” He asked. Yixing had Cui’er brought forward along with the incriminating letter and herbs and explained the situation.

 

“The Princess Rinchen has been scheming to harm my wife and unborn child.” He said, “Thankfully, Zhiruo noticed in time, or else the baby certainly would have been lost.” The king’s gaze darkened as he read over the letter.

 

“Men!” He called, “Bring the Crown Prince and Princess here immediately!” A startled prince and princess were brought immediately to the king’s study.

 

“Father, what is the meaning of this?” Crown Prince Yiwei demanded. The king threw the letter down at him.

 

“Take a look for yourself!” He snapped. Yiwei’s eyes widened as he read over the letter, took a look at the herbs, and put two and two together.

 

“You vile woman!” He turned and slapped Princess Rinchen across the face, “How dare you scheme against my cousin and sister in law!” Princess Rinchen stared at him in shock.

 

“I couldn’t possibly have dared!” She cried, “There must be a mistake! I must have been framed!” Zhiruo sighed and decided to end her act then and there. She had long tolerated the Crown Princess well knowing of the hatred she held. It was time to finish things.

 

“Your Majesty, herbs as dangerous as these are only sold in one store in the capital.” She said, “I am certain the store owner will provide useful information.” The king nodded in agreement.

 

“Men! Find that store owner and bring him here immediately!” He ordered. Before long, the terrified shop owner was located and brought into the palace. He shook as he stood in front of the king.

 

“Speak!” The king demanded, “Who did you sell these herbs to?” The man looked around nervously before his gaze fell on Feng’er, Princess Rinchen’s personal maid.

 

“Lady!” He cried, “You promised that no one would know I sold those herbs to you!”

 

“Don’t go about spouting nonsense to save yourself!” The maid cried, but the man pulled a jade piece from his pocket.

 

“You even gave me this as a sign of your promise!” He cried. The maid paled at the sight of the jade, and it immediately became clear that she did not have the same piece with her to save herself. Zhiruo gazed at the jade for a moment before recognizing it.

 

Only a concubine’s personal maid is allowed to carry such an exquisite jade piece, Zhiruo thought.

 

“Feng’er, where is yours?” Zhiruo asked. Feng’er fumbled for an answer for a few moments before throwing herself at the king’s feet.

 

“Your Majesty, please spare my life!” She cried, “I was only following the Crown Prince’s orders! I didn’t want to harm the Princess of Lanling!” Princess Rinchen’s eyes widened.

 

“You fox!” She shrieked, “You dare to betray me?”

 

“Princess Rinchen!” The king barked, “What do you have to say for yourself?” The princess looked around at the people surrounding her and knew she was trapped. Then, she began to laugh.

 

“Yes, that’s right.” She said, “I was the one who told Feng’er to buy those herbs and bribed Cui’er. It was me! But!” She pointed a finger sharply at Zhiruo.

 

“It was all your fault, Shangguan Zhiruo!” She yelled, “My life should have been far happier than it is now, but you stole the Prince of Lanling away from me!” She laughed again, seeming to be losing her grip on sanity.

 

“I wanted to see you suffer!” Princess Rinchen yelled, “I wanted you to suffer like I have this whole time! You will never know how it feels to be abandoned by your husband and your child given to another woman! Why? Why does everything good only happen to you?” She suddenly lunges at Zhiruo, and Yixing pulled her back just in time to knock Princess Rinchen away. She landed on the ground in a heap and continued to laugh.

 

“Zhang Yixing, always remember that you are the one who did this to me!” Princess Rinchen cried, “You and Shangguan Zhiruo!”

 

“You have no one to blame but yourself!” Zhiruo interjected, “If you had simply submitted to your fate and appreciated what you had instead of yearning for what wasn’t yours, this wouldn’t have happened!” Princess Rinchen only continued to laugh, and the king waved a hand at the soldiers by the door.

 

“Take this crazy woman away!” He ordered, “Starting from today, she is stripped of her position as Crown Princess and will be confined to her quarters in solitude for the rest of her life!” The former Crown Princess was taken away, and Zhiruo finally felt her chest ease. The king gazed down at Yiwei.

 

“Yiwei, go back and reflect on your failures as the princess’s husband.” He said. For once, the Crown Prince seemed to decide against arguing and left quietly.

 

“Zhiruo, you have suffered.” The king said after Yiwei left, “I will make sure the best medicine is used to restore your body and the baby’s health.” Zhiruo smiled and bobbed into curtesy.

 

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” She said. Yixing and Zhiruo were dismissed, and the two returned home to their manor.

 

“At least that matter is finally finished.” Yixing said as he helped Zhiruo return to bed. Zhiruo sighed and rested her head against his shoulder.

 

“Right now, all I wish for is for this pregnancy to be peaceful for the next five months.” She said softly. Yixing smiles and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

 

“I’ll do my best to make sure that happens.” He promised.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

One month later

 

As he promised, the king arranged for the best care from the royal physician bureau to help Zhiruo with restoring her body to its previous condition. Before long, Zhiruo no longer had to worry about the baby’s health. Her child seemed intent on making its presence known, and kicked Zhiruo when it was time to get up, time to eat, and whenever its parents spoke to it. Zhiruo groaned as she felt another flurry of kicks from inside her womb over lunch.

 

“Zhang Yixing, I swear if all of your children are going to be this active, then we’re not having any more!” She complained as she rested a hand on her stomach in an attempt to soothe the baby, “If you want anymore, you can have them!” Yixing grinned in amusement as he placed a piece of food onto Zhiruo’s plate.

 

“You can think about it otherwise and take it as a sign that our baby is quite healthy.” He replied good naturedly, “Whatever effects those dangerous herbs had on it last month, it is all completely gone now.” Zhiruo huffed but couldn’t resist nibbling on the food Yixing had given her. Her appetite had grown along with her child, and Zhiruo was starting to worry that she would have trouble losing all the extra weight once the baby was born. As the couple continued with their meal, a servant appeared at the doorway.

 

“My Lady, My Lord.” He said, “A message has come from the palace.” Yixing looked over at him curiously.

 

“Does the king need to see me?” He asked. The servant shook his head.

 

“The former crown princess wishes to see both of you.” He said, “But the king said neither of you need to feel compelled to visit a princess who has been stripped of her title.” Yixing exchanged a look with Zhiruo.

 

“It is up to you.” He said. Zhiruo thought for a moment.

 

“If she wanted to yell at me again, she wouldn’t go through all this trouble a month after the matter has been settled.” She said, “Perhaps she has something interesting to say. I’m curious to know what it is.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: So, I put up a poll for this, but I'll toss the question in here too: there are two possible endings to this story. One is historically more accurate, involves more angst, but ends up as a happy ending. The other ending is not historically accurate at all, but happy for the main couple all the way through. Is either particularly more preferable for anyone? Personally, I like really happy endings, but Lanling Wang is a real historical figure so....