Chapter 19: Who is the Hunter and Who is the Prey?

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

A few days later, Zhiruo

 

Zhiruo took a deep breath as she looked up at the entrance to Princess Rinchen’s quarters. The former crown princess’s quarters had once been one of the most glamorous palaces in the royal palace. In the span of one month after she had been stripped of her status though, the formerly glamorous quarters had very clearly fallen into a state of disrepair. The sign over the main door had once glittered in the sunlight, but now it was covered in a layer of dark dust. No one stood guard at the entrance, and beyond the slightly cracked open doors Zhiruo could see an empty courtyard covered in wilting flowers and weeds. She sighed softly and looked up at Yixing.

 

“The palace is a ruthless place to live.” She commented wryly, “When you are in favor, you have everything that anyone could wish for. Once you lose that favor…” Yixing wrapped an arm around Zhiruo’s shoulders.

 

“That is why every step you take in the palace must be planned carefully.” He replied, “As for Princess Rinchen, she made the wrong calculations and targeted the wrong person. This is what she deserves.” Zhiruo blew out her breath slowly.

 

“Let’s go.” She declared. Yixing and Zhiruo made their way into the empty quarters, stopping just outside the room where the former crown princess was staying. The emperor had offered to provide them with guards, but Yixing and Zhiruo had agreed that the princess wouldn’t speak with armed guards around her. In any case, Yixing was a better fighter than any of the royal guard anyway. Yixing pushed open the doors, and Zhiruo’s eyes widened slightly at the sight of the room. Like the rest of the fallen princess’s palace, it was clear that few people bothered to keep the place clean anymore. From what she remembered, Zhiruo recalled the inner rooms as the epitome of splendor and visual perfection. Now, objects lay broken and strewn over the room, the result of some fit of anger or another from Princess Rinchen. Said princess was sitting near the window, staring out at the sky.

 

“Princess Rinchen.” Zhiruo said, “We have come as you requested.” She began to step inside as the princess turned around, but Yixing laid a hand on her arm to stop her.

 

“Whatever that woman wants to say, you don’t have to be inside the room to hear it.” He said firmly. Zhiruo bit her lip and decided to stay put. While she was curious what the princess had to say, no one could really say what Princess Rinchen could try to do. The fallen princess let out a dry laugh.

 

“Zhang Yixing, are you afraid I will attack your precious wife?” Princess Rinchen said, “What good would that do me? Surely, you would kill me before I even laid a finger on her.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“It’s best if you keep that in mind.” He warned, “Say whatever you have to say and get it over with.” Princess Rinchen rose from her seat and stepped closer to the door while maintaining her distance. She leveled her gaze with Zhiruo before speaking.

 

“I know you are investigating my husband.” She said. Yixing and Zhiruo exchanged surprised glances.

 

“You still have spies working for you?” Zhiruo asked, narrowing her eyes. Princess Rinchen laughed dryly.

 

“No.” She replied, “But it is not difficult to guess. Those three officials who were executed had to be supporting someone, and the only realistic option is my useless husband. I have also seen my husband having secret talks with various high ranking men in the past few months. It is not difficult to guess that he is becoming impatient in obtaining the throne.”

 

“We didn’t come here to hear you state the obvious truth.” Yixing said firmly. Princess Rinchen laughed.

 

“And I didn’t come to tell you the obvious.” She replied, “I asked you to come because I know where Zhang Yiwei’s secret storage of illegally bought weapons is located. I am certain that information will be useful to you.”

 

“Why would you tell us something like that?” Zhiruo asked, “Although he treats you poorly, he is still your husband.” Princess Rinchen raised an eyebrow.

 

“I have said it before, and I will say it again, Shangguan Zhiruo.” She said, “You, who are beloved by the second most powerful man in the nation, will never understand how it feels to be in my position. I may have lost everything, but that doesn’t mean I have to suffer alone.” Princess Rinchen clenched her hand tightly into fists.

 

“I want to see that bastard fall as well.” She growled, “And right now, you two are the only ones that can make that happen. In the same way that I lost everything, Zhang Yiwei also deserves to lose all that he has. As long as you show the king evidence that his bastard son is intending to revolt, there is no way he can simply smooth the matter over and pretend it never happened.” Zhiruo and Yixing exchanged another meaningful look. The evidence Princess Rinchen was offering would certainly be helpful to them, but could she be trusted? She and her husband had a poor relationship, but what if it was another trap? Yixing hesitated for a moment before nodding at Zhiruo, who smiled faintly and nodded in understanding.

 

Regardless of the truth of her statements, there is nothing we can do but take Princess Rinchen’s words for what they’re worth. Her testimony is all we have right now.

 

Zhiruo turned and met Princess Rinchen’s gaze.

 

“Tell us what you know.”

____________________________________________________________________________

Later that day

 

Zhiruo sat at the tea table in the middle of her room, deep in thought. Her hand moved absently in slow circles over her rounded stomach as she thought over what Princess Rinchen had told her and Yixing. Zhang Yiwei had secretly bought a villa near the outskirts of the capital, where he often entertained es and any woman who wanted to curry favor with him. Inside that villa, there was a secret basement room where he kept his illegally bought weapons, and Princess Rinchen had discovered this when she had followed him one day, intent on finding out what sort of women he was having affairs with outside the royal palace.

 

“You’re deep in thought about something.” Yixing’s voice drew her from her thoughts, and Zhiruo looked up as her husband draped a cloak around her shoulders.

 

“I’m just thinking about what Princess Rinchen said.” She replied, “Should we believe her? If it’s true, then all we have to do is show the king the proof that Yiwei is buying illegal weapons. The rest of the incriminating information will appear in due course after that.” Yixing sighed and placed an envelope onto the table.

 

“I’m unsure as well.” He said, “But it seems like we’ve been given a chance to find out. Yiwei just sent someone to bring this letter over. It is an invitation to visit his manor in the capital. Apparently he wants to properly apologize for his wife’s attempt to make you lose the baby.” Zhiruo raised an eyebrow.

 

“Isn’t this a little too timely?” She asked. Yixing nodded in agreement.

 

“It’s likely he had someone watching Princess Rinchen.” He said, “Yiwei is a suspicious man, and trusts no one.” He tapped the envelope lightly.

 

“Since he sent this over so quickly, it’s likely he really does have something to hide in that manor of his.” He commented. Zhiruo thought for a moment.

 

“Then...if he is inviting us directly to the manor, this is likely a trap.” She realized. Yixing’s expression was grim.

 

“I’m sure it is.” He replied, “But I think this time, I will have to step directly into this trap.” Zhiruo shook her head and placed her hand over Yixing’s.

 

“We will.” She corrected. Yixing frowned.

 

“I’m not going to let you go to his manor.” He said firmly, “Not in your current state!” Zhiruo smiled and squeezed his hand lightly.

 

“We can send a response saying that I will go and visit Yiwei.” She said, “While I am speaking with him, you can find a way to get into the manor and locate the secret room that Princess Rinchen mentioned. It would be far easier if we do things that way.”

 

“But-!” Yixing began to protest, but Zhiruo placed a hand over his mouth.

 

“Yixing, this is our perfect chance.” She reminded him, “If I distract him while you go searching, it would make things far easier. I am certain that he wouldn’t dare to do anything to harm me, especially after the matter with Princess Rinchen became such a big issue.” Yixing gazed at her for a long moment, then wrapped his fingers around her hand.

 

“Alright.” He finally agreed, “But you must prepare one of your self defense powder mixtures to keep with you, just in case he does try anything. And if he does try anything, your first priority is to escape safely. Do you understand?” Zhiruo smiled and nodded.

 

“I promise I will.” She replied. Yixing nodded, a thoughtful look entering his eyes.

 

“Before you go then, I have some arrangements to make.” He said. Zhiruo looked at him curiously.

 

“Arrangements for what?” She asked. Yixing smirked.

 

“Arrangements to make sure Zhang Yiwei doesn’t manage to escape guilt this time.” He replied.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

A few days later

 

Zhiruo stepped out of her horse carriage and gazed up at the manor in front of her. It looked simple enough on the outside, but she knew better than to underestimate what it held. She could only hope for the best and that their plan would not fall through. Yixing was dressed as one of her masked servants surrounding the horse carriage, and he would slip away from the carriage as it was being led to the back to wait for Zhiruo to return. The couple exchanged a brief glance before the carriage was led away. Zhiruo was led through the doors and into a large front room where Crown Prince Yiwei was waiting.

 

“Cousin in Law!” He exclaimed as he saw her. Zhiruo folded her hands neatly in front of her and curtseyed lightly.

 

“Your Highness.” She greeted. Yiwei reached out and quickly helped her up, and it was all Zhiruo could do to stop from shifting away uncomfortably.

 

“Please, you don’t need to be so courteous around me.” He said, “Do sit down!” Zhiruo smiled and dipped her head.

 

“Thank you, Your Highness.” She replied. Tea and small snacks were served, and Zhiruo nibbled carefully at a small cake.

 

“You aren’t hungry?” Yiwei asked after a few silent moments, “I remember when Rinchen was pregnant, she would always be hungry.” Zhiruo swallowed hard and placed the cake onto the plate in front of her. Indeed, she was actually quite hungry, and the baby’s kicks were making her very aware of the matter. However, being in the same room as the man who led to her family’s massacre and the fact that her husband was probably searching for illegally bought weapons at the moment was more than enough to get rid of all of her appetite. That, and the fact that he was speaking so easily about the wife he had all but abandoned and pushed to the brink of insanity was making her stomach roil. Zhiruo smiled politely.

 

“I am just a little tired, Your Highness.” She replied. Yiwei studied her for a moment before sighing.

 

“I understand if you are uncomfortable around me.” He said, “After all, it is my wife who tried to kill your baby. But I am not the same as Rinchen, so you can be at ease.” Yiwei picked up his teacup and raised it towards her.

 

“I will drink tea in place of wine and formally apologize to you, Cousin in Law.” He said. Zhiruo smiled faintly and picked up her teacup in return.

 

“Your Highness need not worry.” She replied, “I certainly will not hold another’s crimes against you.” Yiwei smiled as he drank his tea.

 

“You are an intelligent woman, Shangguan Zhiruo.” He said, “Yixing is lucky to have you by his side.” Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“No, it is I who am fortunate to have him.” She replied, “I can ask for no better husband than him.” An odd look flashed across Yiwei’s eyes, and his smile faded as he gazed at Zhiruo for a long moment.

 

“Zhiruo.” He said, “Have you ever wondered how our lives could have been very different if we made a few different choices?” Zhiruo looked at him curiously.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked. Yiwei’s gaze bore uncomfortably into hers.

 

“For example, if I hadn’t married Rinchen.” He replied, “And if you....had become my woman instead of taking Yixing’s hand.” Zhiruo felt grow dry, and she tightened her grip around her teacup ever so slightly. It was slowly dawning on her where Yiwei was taking this conversation, and she wasn’t liking it.

 

“Your Highness, it is better not to dwell on things that will never be.” She replied simply. Yiwei shook his head.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, did you know?” He asked, “When I first met you in the library, I knew you were special. A woman who was a royal physician, and interested in reading the books found in the library...you are so different from the other noblewomen who I have seen. You are intelligent, and not afraid to speak your mind.” He swallowed hard as he looked at Zhiruo.

 

“It didn’t take long for me to desire to have you by my side.” He said, “But the timing never seemed right, and you were always with Yixing. And then, it became too late to ask.” Zhiruo bit her lip.

 

Stupid man. I was only reading because I wanted to find out more about the crimes you are responsible for!

 

“Your Highness, that is not our fate.” She replied calmly, “This is our reality now.” She jumped as Yiwei slammed his hand against the table.

 

“But I don’t want to submit to that fate!” He snapped, “Why did you have to choose Yixing? He already has so much. He doesn’t need nor does he deserve to have the kingdom’s most intelligent woman as his wife too!” Zhiruo pursed her lips into a thin line, and her hands clenched tightly into a fist in her lap.

 

“You’re wrong.” She replied, “There are reasons why Yixing has what he does, and if you cannot see them because you are blinded by jealousy, then that is your own fault, Highness.” Yiwei raised his head and took a deep breath, as if trying to calm himself.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo.” He said, “If you could choose again, would you still choose to marry Zhang Yixing?” Zhiruo took a long moment to carefully formulate her answer before responding.

 

“If I could choose again, I would still make the same choices as I have made now.” She replied firmly, “I do not regret the choices that I have made, and I never will. No matter how many times I have to choose again, and no matter what you may have done differently, I will only choose to take Zhang Yixing’s hand.” There were many reasons why the two cousins were different, and Zhiruo was quite aware of them. No matter what Yiwei would have done, her heart would still have gone to Yixing alone. A resigned look took over Yiwei’s face, and a grim smile crossed his face.

 

“Very well.” He said, “Shangguan Zhiruo, it seems that your disdain for me has exceeded my expectations.” There was a faint movement from behind Zhiruo, and Zhiruo’s heart leapt into as she felt something cool and sharp press lightly against her neck. Without turning, she knew from experience that the object was surely a sword. Yiwei’s eyes narrowed as he studied her briefly.

 

“Is that why you two are so intent on getting rid of me?” He asked, “So much that you would take my wife’s word and attempt to drag me down?” Zhiruo’s eyes narrowed as well.

 

“You had a spy left by Princess Rinchen’s side?” She asked. Yiwei smirked.

 

“That woman knows far too much.” He said, “I knew that she wouldn’t fall easily. The only way to drag me down with her is through you and Yixing.” Zhiruo was pulled to her feet by a soldier behind her, and Yiwei’s gaze turned cold.

 

“Since you have so willingly entered my manor, why don’t we see what your husband is up to right now?” He sneered. Zhiruo’s heart pounded in her chest as she was led out of the meeting room and into the manor library. Yiwei turned a small Buddha statue sitting near the wall, and a few seconds later, a panel opened in the wall to reveal a narrow passageway.

 

Princess Rinchen was right.

 

Yiwei stepped inside the passage first, and Zhiruo was pushed forward to follow after him. Just as she stepped into the entryway, Zhiruo flicked her wrist slightly, and an embroidered handkerchief slipped free from her sleeve. The handkerchief fluttered to the ground as Zhiruo walked forward, and landed outside the door just as it clicked shut again.

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

After slipping away from Zhiruo’s carriage, Yixing carefully sneaked his way into Yiwei’s secret manor. Thankfully, there seemed to be a severe lack in servants in the manor, probably because Yiwei wanted as few people to know about it as possible, and so Yixing found it rather simple to find his way to the library. Just as Princess Rinchen had said, a slight turn of the Buddha statue opened a secret panel in the wall, revealing a secret passageway. Upon making his way inside, Yixing was shocked by the size of the room the passageway led to. Not only was the room large, it was also filled with foreign weapons of various sizes. Yixing felt his throat go dry as he examined the weapons. Given the size of Yiwei’s secret hoard, it was likely that he was also preparing a large army somewhere as well. If he wasn’t stopped soon, Northern Qi would soon face a very bloody war. Before long, Yixing heard the secret door open again, and his heart leapt into his throat. Few people would know of this place, much less bother entering.

 

It must be Yiwei...which means...Zhiruo!

 

As expected, the sound of footsteps echoed down the hall, and a group of people stepped into the weapon room. Yixing’s gaze narrowed as he surveyed the group. Yiwei led the group, followed by a large group of soldiers. Near the front, Zhiruo stood behind Yiwei, a sword pressed lightly against her neck to stop her from escaping. Yiwei waved a hand forward, and the soldiers shoved Zhiruo forward. Yixing darted forward and grabbed his wife before she fell.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked softly, his fingers grazing her neck to check for a cut. Zhiruo looked up at him and nodded.

 

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t hold him back for longer.” She said quietly. Yixing smiled faintly and shook his head.

 

“It’s okay.” He murmured, “We’ll be fine. Enough time has passed already.” Yiwei laughed as he watched them.

 

“I wouldn’t be so optimistic about that, Zhang Yixing.” He said, “The two of you have been quite fortunate so far, but that luck will end today.” Yixing glared at him.

 

“Even if I die here today, there is no way you will escape your crimes.” He growled, “This entire room is proof of your guilt. Anyone can tell that you are trying to start a rebellion.” Yiwei laughed again.

 

“So what if I am?” He challenged, “Thanks to the former Minister of Warfare, I have many connections to Khitan. Even if I lose these weapons, it will only be a matter of time before I get more.” Yixing laughed dryly.

 

“Then surely, you have a secret army hidden somewhere too.” He replied, “Or else, what use would these weapons be without soldiers to use them? Uncle’s soldiers will surely never support you, and neither will mine.” Yiwei smirked.

 

“Since the two of you will die here today, I suppose I will let you die fully knowledgeable.” He said, “You are right, Zhang Yixing, but you haven’t fully guessed it all. I have reached an agreement with Northern Zhou to use their army to revolt. In exchange, after I obtain the throne, Northern Qi will provide tribute to them in the future. It will be the perfect equal exchange.” Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“You would sell out your country to obtain the throne?” He exclaimed. Yiwei’s eyes narrowed.

 

“I will do anything to obtain the throne.” He said, “My father favors you far too much, and all eyes are watching to see how I will fall. I will show everyone how I can be a powerful king they would never dare to disobey!” He drew his sword and pointed it at Yixing and Zhiruo.

 

“But first, I must remove two impediments to my success.” He growled, “Once the two of you are dead, the blame for buying illegal weapons will fall on whoever I say it does, even if that is the Prince of Lanling.” Yiwei laughed at the thought.

 

“The great Prince of Lanling planned to rebel, but was stopped by the Crown Prince. In the end, a fight broke out between the royals and the Crown Prince had no choice but to kill the Prince of Lanling!” He declared. Yixing snarled and pushed Zhiruo behind him.

 

“That is if you can even manage to defeat me first!” Yixing declared.

 

‘Men!” Yiwei called, “Kill the Prince and Princess of Lanling!” His men immediately surrounded Yixing and Zhiruo. The minute their swords raised into the air however, the sound of pounding footsteps came from the staircase leading down to the secret room, and Yiwei’s men found themselves surrounded by an even larger group of soldiers. A relieved smile spread across Yixing’s face as a familiar figure stepped into the room.

 

“Yifan!” He exclaimed. His brother smiled in relief as he saw that Yixing and Zhiruo were still unharmed.

 

“I apologize for coming late.” He said. Yiwei looked furious for a moment, then began laughing.

 

“This is perfect!” He crowed, “I will get rid of all of you at once!”

 

“Don’t you dare lay a single hand on them!” A new, familiar voice spoke then, and the sea of soldiers parted to reveal a figure dressed in golden robes. Yiwei’s eyes widened at the sight, and Yixing finally let himself exhale in relief. The final player in his plan had finally arrived.

 

“Father?” Yiwei exclaimed, “What are you doing here?”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author's note: Ho ho, what is the king doing here? What was Yixing's plan to make sure Yiwei doesn't escape? Find out everything in the next chapter~! I'm planning to have one more battle (just so I can follow history a little more), and then there will be one or two more chapters to wrap everything up.