Chapter 17: Good News

Deceptive Blue (Lay X OC)

 

Zhiruo

 

Zhiruo dove forward and shoved Yixing out of the arrow’s path. As they both fell forward, something nicked the back of Zhiruo’s shoulder, but she paid it little heed. As they both rolled out of the way, the royal couple soon found themselves cornered against their horse. Zhiruo bit her lip, her mind racing as she tried to think of a way out. The wind began to pick up again, and Zhiruo closed her eyes briefly. The wind was blowing from behind her, which meant…

 

That’s it!

 

In one quick motion, she pulled a small jar of hogweed powder from her waistband and tossed its contents into the wind. On a whim, she had taken the powder before leaving home that morning, and now it was turning out to be a good idea. As she had planned, the wind blew the white powder forward and away from Yixing and Zhiruo, and towards the assassins instead. Immediately, the assassins fell away as the powder hit their eyes, screaming as they rolled on the ground in pain. Taking advantage of the situation, Yixing grabbed Zhiruo around the waist and swung them both onto the horse at once.

 

“Hold on!” He urged, and kicked the horse into a gallop. In short order, they broke free of the ring of assassins, and escaped down the path back towards the capital city.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

The king’s birthday celebration was in full swing by the time Yixing and Zhiruo arrived. The king smiled as he saw them appear, then frowned in confusion at their disheveled appearance. The royal treasurer’s eyes widened at their presence, alive and well.

 

“Yixing, what on earth happened to you two?” The king demanded, “You are both a mess!” Yixing took a deep breath and then bowed with Zhiruo.

 

“I apologize for arriving late and in such a state.” He said, “But Zhiruo and I have something that Your Majesty must know about right away!” The king frowned in confusion.

 

“What is it that must be reported now of all times?” He asked. Yixing raised his head and met the king’s eyes.

 

“I must report a crime.” He replied, “A crime involving multiple high ranking officials which put our country and the king’s life in danger!” Startled murmurs spread along the gathered guests. Without missing a beat, Yixing turned and pointed at former Minister of Warfare.

 

“Your Majesty, the former Minister of Warfare secretly bought military goods from Khitan three years ago.” He stated firmly, “Not only that, the royal treasurer gave him money from the palace treasury to buy it! Every year when the former Minister of Warfare left the country, he was going to Khitan to buy weapons, and then the royal secretary hid the records by accepting vague reports of where Wen Hong’s personal army had gone!” Shocked whispers spread among the banquet guests, and Wen Hong slammed his hand against his table as he stood from his seat.

 

“Prince of Lanling! Don’t think that you can accuse an innocent man of a massive crime just because of your high rank!” He snarled. Yixing smirked.


“Accuse an innocent man?” He repeated, “Lord Wen, do you think I would have come today without a full arsenal of weapons?” Zhiruo placed the stack of documents into his hands, and Yixing held it up for all to see.

 

“These are records from the Khitan merchant from when Lord Wen bought weapons from him.” He said, “There are also records written in the royal treasurer’s own handwriting, signed and sealed. The royal secretary’s signature is also on each of the records in the royal archives showing that up to three years ago, former Minister of Warfare Wen Hong took his soldiers to an unknown location multiple times.” He raised an eyebrow.

 

“The merchant’s records are not signed, but Your Majesty, do you think this could possibly be a simple coincidence?” Yixing asked, “Given that my wife and I were almost killed trying to gather this evidence, I think that says something about its importance.” He stepped forward and handed the documents to the king, who quickly read through them. The king’s face darkened as he read through the evidence, and he slammed his hand against the table.

 

“Wen Hong! Chen Yu! Dugu Jun! What do you have to say for yourselves? Did you want to revolt against me?” He demanded. The officials in question rushed forward and fell to their knees.

 

“Your Majesty, there must have been a misunderstanding!” Wen Hong cried, “I would never dare to-!”

 

“Your Majesty!” Zhiruo interrupted, “If I may add another charge?” The king waved his hand in agreement, and Zhiruo stepped forward.

 

“Three years ago, my husband’s teacher, Lord Gongsun, was killed along with his entire family in his own home.” She said, “Not long after that, former Minister of Warfare Wen Hong also resigned from his post. I have reason to believe that Lord Gongsun found out about the plan to revolt, and was killed to maintain silence.” Wen Hong turned and stared at her, his mouth opening to protest. Then, his gaze met Zhiruos’ fiery eyes, and all protests seemed to die on his lips. He began to laugh dryly, the fight seeming to go out of him.

 

He knows, Yixing realized, Zhiruo’s eyes are just like her father’s when he is passionate about something.

 

“It is fate.” Wen Hong said, shaking his head, “It is fate! Lady Shangguan, are you…?” Yixing stepped forward and kicked Wen Hong around before he could finish his sentence.

 

“Don’t you dare sully my princess’s name with your lips.” He growled. Wen Hong continued to laugh, and then he turned to the king.

 

“Yes, I was the one who had Gongsun Jing killed.” He said, “That bastard happened to overhear the three of us talking about the revolt one day, but refused to join hands with us. In order to keep his silence, I dressed my own soldiers in royal uniforms, and had the entire Gongsun family killed. But then the matter became too big for me to contain, and to protect myself, I decided to retire.” He continued to laugh as he shook his head.

 

“Fate!” He cried, “It’s fate!” The king’s expression was furious as he raised his voice.

 

“Guards! Throw these three corrupt officials into prison! I will deal with them shortly.” He ordered. As the men were taken away, Yixing saw the king’s gaze turn slightly to Yiwei, who looked increasingly uncomfortable at his seat.

 

He knows.

 

Anyone with some common sense would guess who the three officials had been aiming to put on the throne. However, none of the three had made any mention of Yiwei’s name, and the king hadn’t asked for who they were trying to put on the throne. It was clear that the king was willing to leave it there. After all, the prince was his only son eligible for the throne. Unless Yiwei tried to lead the coup himself, the king would turn a blind eye to the obvious. The king sighed.

 

“Yixing, you and Zhiruo have earned great merit again this time.” He said, “Tell me, how did you find so much information? And what led you two to begin such an investigation?” Yixing motioned to Zhiruo to talk, and she took a step forward.

 

“Your Majesty, Lord Gongsun was my husband’s teacher.” She replied, “He has always been searching for an answer to his demise, and I…” Her voice trailed off, and Yixing frowned as he saw Zhiruo stagger backward slightly.

 

“Ruo’er?” He said questioningly, but she didn’t respond. Zhiruo shook her head quickly as if trying to clear her head, then staggered again before falling sideways.

 

“Ruo’er!” Yixing darted forward and caught his wife in his arms, “What’s wrong? Ruo’er!” He felt a sticky wetness coat his fingers, and his eyes widened as he looked at his hand to find it covered in red blood. His gaze traveled to Zhiruo’s shoulder, and his breath caught in his throat as he saw the white material of her cloak rapidly turning red with blood.

 

“Zhiruo, you’re hurt!” He exclaimed, “Why didn’t you say anything?” Zhiruo smiled weakly and shook her head. Her face was rapidly turning pale, her lips losing the light pink tint it usually had.

 

“It didn’t hurt for a while.” She said softly, “I think it was the arrow that was shot at you.” Yixing frowned in confusion.

 

“The arrow?” He repeated. After a few moments of thinking, he finally remembered when one of the assassins had shot an arrow at him, and Zhiruo had knocked him out of the way.

 

“You dummy!” Yixing whispered fiercely, gripping Zhiruo tightly in his arms.

 

“Summon a royal physician, quickly!” The king ordered, and there was a scurry of movement as maids rushed to carry out the order. Zhiruo’s eyes closed, and Yixing’s chest tightened in panic as he realized she had fallen unconscious.

 

“Zhiruo!” He cried, “Zhiruo!”

____________________________________________________________________________

Zhiruo

 

The soft golden glow of candlelight filled Zhiruo’s vision as she opened her eyes. As she took in her surroundings slowly, she realized that she was lying in her previous chambers in the royal palace. Based on the tightness in her shoulder, she guessed that a thick bandage must have been wrapped around her wound. The sound of soft murmurs could be heard from nearby, and Zhiruo turned her head to see Yixing deep in conversation with one of the royal physicians.

 

“Why is Zhiruo still unconscious?” Yixing asked, “She already drank the medicine you gave her!”

 

“Your Highness, the Princess Consort lost a lot of blood from her wound.” The royal physician replied, “It is only natural that her body is weak.”

 

“Yixing!” Zhiruo called weakly, and the prince turned immediately at the sound of her voice.

 

“Ruo’er!” Relief flooded his vision, and he hurried over to her bedside.

 

“You’re finally awake.” Yixing murmured, cupping a hand to her cheek, “Oh Ruo’er, I was so worried!” Zhiruo laughed softly and placed her hand over his.

 

“Isn’t the god of war supposed to stay calm at all times?” She asked. Yixing sighed and clasped her hand tightly.

 

“It is only right that a husband worries about his beloved wife’s safety.” He replied softly. The royal physician stepped forward, and Zhiruo’s eyes widened as she recognized her superior.

 

“Lord Tou!” She exclaimed as she attempted to sit up, but the older man quickly waved her back down.

 

“Please lie down, Princess.” He urged, “You are my patient now, not a royal physician. You can do away with the formalities.”

 

“Will Zhiruo be alright, now that she is awake?” Yixing asked as he helped Zhiruo lie down again. Royal Physician Tou nodded.

 

“The princess consort fainted from blood loss.” He replied, “Now that the bleeding has stopped and she is conscious, I am certain she will be okay with some rest. Thankfully, it was her shoulder that was injured as opposed to elsewhere.” Yixing and Zhiruo exchanged confused looks.

 

“What do you mean?” Yixing asked. Royal Physician Tou smiled in amusement.

 

“Lady Zhiruo, did you not notice yourself?” He asked. Zhiruo raised an eyebrow curiously.

 

“Notice…?” She queried.

 

“You are pregnant.” Royal Physician Tou replied, “Based on your pulse, you are already two months along.” Zhiruo’s eyes widened, and she looked over to see that Yixing was equally shocked.

 

I’m...pregnant? That would explain how sick I’ve been feeling lately, but...I never imagined it would be a baby that was causing this...

 

“What did you just say?” Yixing asked, looking dumbfounded. Royal Physician Tou laughed and bowed formally.

 

“Congratulations, Prince, Princess.” He said, “The Princess Consort is two months pregnant. The royal physician bureau will do all it can to ensure that the princess bears a healthy child.” Yixing and Zhiruo stared at each other in shock, and Royal Physician Tou bowed again.

 

“Now that the princess is awake, I will go and arrange for medicine to be prepared for the princess.” He said. As the older man left, Yixing stared at Zhiruo for a few moments before laughing in disbelief.

 

“Pregnant.” He repeated, “Zhiruo, we’re going to be parents! Oh Ruo’er, we’re going to have a child!” Zhiruo laughed and nodded.

 

“Yes Yixing, we are!” She replied, a smile spreading over her lips as the news sunk in. Her hand moved to rest lightly on her abdomen. For now, it was still flat, but Zhiruo couldn’t help but smile in delight at the thought that a new life was growing inside her. Yixing’s hand rested lightly over hers.

 

“I can’t believe it.” He said softly, “And after we were attacked, the child still survived!” Zhiruo grinned.

 

“The baby’s father is the Prince of Lanling.” She reminded him, “Your warrior bloodline seems to be running strong.” Yixing grinned and nodded in agreement.

 

“For now, all you need to do is rest and strengthen your body.” He said, “As for everything else, just leave it to me, okay?” Zhiruo pouted.

 

“I can move around a little.” She protested, “Being pregnant doesn’t render me immobile.” Yixing chuckled.

 

“I know, I know.” He said, “But at least until your wound heals, okay?” Zhiruo nodded and cupped a hand to his cheek.

 

“Okay.” She agreed, “But first, tell me what happened to those corrupt officials.” Yixing smirked.

 

“I thought I just told you to rest.” He reminded her. Zhiruo whined and tugged on his arm.

 

“It won’t hurt to tell me!” She protested, “Come on, Yixing!” Yixing chuckled softly.


“Those three officials have been given the death sentence for attempted revolt and trading with Khitan.” He said, “They will be given poisoned wine tomorrow at noon. I will personally watch over the process.”

 

“You will?” Zhiruo asked, “Why you?” Yixing’s gaze narrowed.

 

“They dared to put my country into danger. As this country’s top general, I must personally watch them receive punishment.” He said, “And most importantly, they put my wife and child in danger. If I don’t personally mete out their punishment, it will be hard for me to breathe easy.” His gaze darkened slightly.

 

“As for Yiwei, the king has said nothing about him, although it is obvious that he was involved.” Yixing continued, “But while investigating the former Minister of Warfare, I also received information from the merchant that a new Northern Qi nobleman had begun buying from him again. I suspect that person is Yiwei.”

 

“I doubt unspecified documents would work for the Crown Prince though.” Zhiruo mused. Yixing nodded in agreement.

 

“I’m sure that whatever he has bought, he has it kept inside the capital city somewhere.” He said, “Perhaps even in one of his own manors. After all, the most dangerous place is also the safest. I will continue searching for it.”

 

“Let me know if I can help you.” Zhiruo offered, “Going against the Crown Prince is no easy task.”

 

“You’re not going to try and persuade me not to?” Yixing asked. Zhiruo shook her head.

 

“I know that once you have decided on something, there is nothing that will stop you from finishing it.” She said, “And I also know that until the Crown Prince is removed from power, we won’t be able to live peacefully.” Yixing smiled and kissed Zhiruo on the forehead.

 

“You truly know me best.” He said softly. Zhiruo grinned.

 

“That is why only I can be your princess consort.” She replied. Yixing laughed and squeezed her hand gently.

 

“For now, just rest and take care of your body.” He said, “I won’t involve you unless I absolutely have to.” A tiny smile crossed his lips.

 

“There is one more thing, Ruo’er.” He said. Zhiruo tilted her head curiously.

 

“What is it?” She asked. Yixing grinned.

 

“Former Minister of Warfare Wen Hong admitted that he framed your father for all his crimes.” He said, “The king has ordered that the Gongsun family is to be restored to its former status and that any living descendants of Lord Gongsun Jing are innocent!” Zhiruo’s eyes widened.

 

“Then...that means…!” Tears filled her eyes as the news sank in, “I don’t have to hide my identity anymore?” Yixing smiled and nodded.

 

“After the child is born, let’s tell the king who you really are.” He said, “I’m sure my uncle will be pleased to know that Lord Gongsun has a living descendant!” Zhiruo nodded as tears of relief rushed down her face.

 

“Oh, what is wrong with me?” She sniffled as she rubbed at her eyes, “I don’t usually cry so easily!” Yixing laughed and pulled her into a hug.

 

“I heard that pregnant women cry easily.” He teased, “I guess the rumors were true!” Zhiruo whined and smacked him lightly on the chest.

 

“You’re teasing me again!”

__________________________________________________________________________

The royal palace, Crown Princess’s quarters

 

A delicate hand slammed against the silk covered table, causing the palace maid to cower in fear.

 

“What did you just say?” Princess Rinchen snarled as she glared at the maid. The maid looked up fearfully.

 

“The...the Princess of Lanling is pregnant.” She repeated, “The news has already spread throughout the entire palace!” Princess Rinchen growled in fury.

 

“Luck is never far from that woman’s side, is it?” She hissed, “She is beloved by the second most powerful man in the nation, and is now carrying his child! Not only that, but her unborn child survives an attack by assassins?” In a fit of anger, Princess Rinchen grabbed a porcelain teacup and threw it against the wall, where it shattered into a thousand tiny pieces. The princess clenched her hand tightly into a fist.

 

“Shangguan Zhiruo, don’t think that you’ve won!” She swore, “I will certainly make sure that you will not find it easy to be a princess consort!”