008

Just Right

 

“So, tell me honestly,” Mark said as he sat across the girl, Jaebum and Jinyoung had left them hours ago.

“What?” Amy peeled her eyes from the TV screen, Mark pushed her cup of tea towards her.

“Why did you want me to watch over you?”

Amy stared at him briefly, she exhaled before taking a small sip of her tea.

“Because, I don’t get it. I know you would rather be alone than have to face me, Ames. Unless, you’re interested in~”

“Ew. No.”

Mark grinned at her and handed her one of the blankets lying around, Amy chewed on the insides of her cheeks.

“I know you know something, Mark Tuan. And I want you to spill.” She said to him, Mark paused.

“What do I know?”

“My brother. What….has been going on?” She asked, Mark looked at the girl and his forehead creased.

“He..has been under stress a lot lately, he kept on mentioning about taking a break, or just..leaving.”

“A break?”

“It was a difficult time, he kept on drinking, I always had to pick him up from bars.” He explained, Amy started to fiddle with the sleeves of her sweater.

“Honestly, I wanted to…call your mother, I hesitated because I didn’t want to interfere.”

“You should have. Not that I’m blaming you or anything.” She spoke, Mark looked at her.

“I don’t blame you, Mark. Jackson’s really lucky to have someone like you.” She said as she slowly started to stand, Mark gently held onto her elbow and helped her stand.

“And, you have no idea where he went?” She asked him, her tone hopeful.

“Sadly, no. But I’ll tell you as soon as I get something, for now, rest.”

“That’s what I was planning to do, Mark.” She said dryly, her mood shifting, Mark chuckeld, expecting it.

“Good, because I need to child proof the whole unit.” He said as the girl waddled to her room.

“I’m too tired to come up with anything. Good night.” She snapped, Mark chuckled and went back to the kitchen.

 

 

Mark watched as Mrs. Wang walked around the unit, Amy was still in her room. Probably still asleep, or she had sensed that her parents were around.

“Is she still asleep?”

“I—I don’t really know, uncle. I went out for a jog.” Mark replied to the elder, Mr. Wang nodded back and took a seat in the living room.

“How is she? Wait, how did you end up staying~”

“I don’t think you should be interviewing him, ma. After all, you were the ones who made him lie to me.” A feminine voice chimed in, Mark poured himself a cup of coffee and raised his brows at the girl.

“Amy, we didn’t plan to keep you in the dark for long~”

“Really? I was just injured ma, not dying or brain-dead. Surely, news of my brother’s disappearance isn’t too much for me to handle.”

“Amy, if you can just sit down to listen~”

“I can’t. Mark and I have plans.”

Mark paused, he set his mug down and looked at her questioningly.

“We do?” He murmured, Amy picked up his coat and walked towards him.

“Amy, daughter, please~”

“Instead of wasting your time here, why don’t you have your men look for gege, pa? I mean, this is also your fault, right?” Amy asked, her tone sharp and blunt. Mrs.Wang looked away and bit her lip.

“Is this how you’re going to talk to me now?” Her father was enraged.

“Isn’t that how you talk to gege?” She replied, Mark winced and looked away.

“Amy~”

“I know what you’re going to ask me, pa. You want me to take over for him.” She spoke, her mother tried to calm her but it wasn’t working.

“And out of responsibility, I will. But the moment you start telling me how to do things, then you might as well begin looking for replacements.”

“Amy!”

“You know I don’t do bluffs, pa. So, decide.” She said before leaving the unit, Mark excused himself and followed the girl out.

 

 

Jinyoung checked the news again and he started to shake his head.

“Is this true?” He spoke on the phone.

“It is, Mark called me earlier, something big happened at home. Amy got really upset.”

“And she said yes to this?” Jinyoung asked, Jaebum hummed affirmative.

“She starts in two days, so all directors of Wang Pharm Seoul need to be here to meet her.”

“But she hates this type of thing.” Jinyoung scratched the back of her head.

“She does. But she said yes to this, I’ve been trying to get a hold of her but she’s not picking up. Do you think I should fly home earlier?” Jaebum asked, Amy was like a sister to him. And the girl trusted him a lot, they were best friends. People did tease them a lot because of their relationship, but nothing really ever happened. Except that one time Amy wanted to get rid of Jaebum’s past girlfriend because the girl dressed like a Sesame Street character.

“I think Mark can handle her.” Jinyoung chuckled, Jaebum snorted.

“I think she’s met her match, I mean, he hasn’t run away in fear yet.”

“Now’s not the time to be pairing up our friends. And please, of all people, not Amy.” Jaebum sighed, Jinyoung chuckled.

“Jackson better come back soon. Amy might really go crazy.”

“Or Mark might lose it first.”

“Don’t let her hear you.”

 

 

Mark leaned against the steering wheel and looked at the airport’s façade before him.

“I don’t see you with any bags, so does that mean I don’t have to worry?”

“Relax, Mark, I’m not fleeing. I’m not Jackson.” She muttered as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

“Then, why are we here, Ames?”

“I had to fly in my dogs or else my family will drive me insane, you know.” She explained, her eyes were on the window.

“Dogs? You flew them? Or had them transported?”

“They have first class tickets. Don’t ask. I wont explain.” She shrugged at him, Mark shook his head then he noticed two airport staff making their way towards them. Amy smiled before sliding down the car, she approached the two canines and knelt down to greet them.

Mark followed the girl and looked around them, Amy was busy petting her dogs and giving them hugs. She had two dogs, a Golden Retriever and a Samoyed.

“Say hi to Mark, boys.” She chuckled as she stood up, Mark took the other leash from her, the Samoyed barked at him excitedly.

“I would like be introduced.” He said to her.

“Oh, that’s Peanut and this golden one is Rex.”

Mark grew amused as he noticed how warm she was towards her pets, they walked them towards the Rover.

“Now, can I ask what happen earlier?” Mark asked as Rex leapt in the car, Peanut scooted over to give him more space. Amy paused, her forehead creased before facing him.

“I thought about what you said, what the others have been saying, Mark. And it finally made sense to me. My brother won’t be back anytime soon, and I really have to…step in. Even if I don’t want to. So, I got over that.”

“And….the bluff?” Mark was uncertain, Amy leaned against the car and crossed her arms.

“I can’t let my father do the same thing again, Mark. And, I don’t do well with pressure. If he wants me to work with them, he has to let me work on my own.”

Mark paused, but he nodded back at the girl.

“If only Jackson had the guts to do that.” He said softly, Amy shook her head.

“He could have done it, you know. But he always has to reconsider because of me, because he knows I can’t stand being in this…environment. That’s why he took it all in.”

“Ames, it’s not your~”

“It kinda is, Mark. If only I had shown up earlier, things wouldn’t have gone this bad.” She explained, Mark could only stare at her, he noticed the tears gathering around her eyes.

“Hey,” Mark spoke before stretching his palm to her, she paused and looked up to meet his gaze. She slowly placed her hand over his, and he gave her a small smile.

“It’s not your fault, Ames.” He said before gently wrapping his arms around her.

“He did miss you. But he never blamed you for anything.” He said softly, he felt Amy press her nose against his shoulder and she nodded back.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++