First Picture

Twenty Years

 

So..... i spent the last two days at home and i had too much time on my hand and so i thought i should be at least productive and i didnt upload a chapter two weeks ago or something so yeah here is another chapter. Gotta be more productive from now on.. as always comments are loved <3

 

 

17 years old, First Picture

 

 

Camera On Sale

₩ 20,000

 

 

If anyone could see Yoseob right now, that anyone would definitely call a police on him. Face completely plastered on the glass display, both hands flat beside his face, thoroughly immersed in his own thoughts of I want it, I want it… I need it, I need it, I need it. It had been 5 minutes of sticking himself in the display, drooling over the camera.

 

Usually Doojoon would just pull him away and drag him home, ignoring his whines and pleas of one more minute, one more minute, no 30 more seconds, 15 more seconds – but Doojoon was locked up for a two-week soccer camp somewhere far away (when Doojoon called Yoseob to tell him his whereabouts, the younger boy paused and asked him, “Are you still in Korea?”) and that was why Yoseob’s face was still stuck to the glass display of the store.

 

It was not as if Yoseob took poignant pictures and aspired to be a well-known and established photographer in his time, in fact the thought never really crossed his mind. Not at all until he saw the camera and Yoseob believed he was destined to  – no, the camera was destined to be his.

 

One cold autumn afternoon, with Doojoon sent off somewhere for his camp, Yoseob walked home alone. Jieun was busy with her musical script and sheepishly told him to go home, oppa. You need to study for your exam tomorrow with her sweet smile and sincere eyes. Yoseob melted into a puddle of pink love-struck goo on the floor. On a side note, he really really really liked her.

 

Gina noona offered to walk him home because Doojoon asked her to please take care of Yoseobie, noona but Yoseob politely declined with his sweetest smile and told her that he would be okay and Doojoonie was just a big old complicated worrywart. She was incredibly nice and extremely hot (with her long legs and her soft long hair and the way her eyes smiled every time she laughed and all other things), and Yoseob was so happy for Doojoon because he knew the older boy really really really liked her, and Yoseob really really really liked her too (but of course he liked Jieunie more).

 

And so on his way home from school alone, Yoseob’s eyes caught a glimpse of a bold, tacky paper above an old-fashioned, archaic camera. His body just moved on his own and his face was sticking itself in the glass display his mind was thinking by itself that he wanted it – no needed it – and everything went on without his consent. He was just extremely attracted to the camera. That was the end of the story.

 

A middle-aged woman came out of the camera store and smiled at Yoseob, “Do you really like the camera, young man?” Yoseob jumped from his position, he was beyond shocked and his heart was beating so fast because he was caught red-handed. He steadied himself and bowed politely to the ahjumma, “Ah yes, it is quite…alluring.”  She chuckled, “It does lure you in, doesn’t it?” Yoseob scratched the back of his head and smiled awkwardly at her, “I’ll get some money and be back tomorrow.” She chuckled and patted his shoulder, “Sure, it’ll be waiting for you here.” With that, Yoseob bolted off home to crack his piggybank.

 

But even with his piggybank broken into a million pieces, Yoseob was still ₩7,352 short and he huffed in annoyance. Nonetheless he came back to the camera store the next day and the nice ahjumma was there again, reading newspaper with her glasses perched on the bridge of her nose.

 

Yoseob walked in quietly and bowed to her, “Good afternoon, ma’am.” She looked up from her reading and smiled warmly at Yoseob, “Oh, you are back! You are here for the camera, right?” Yoseob nodded sheepishly and emptied his whole pocket on the table in front of her, “But I am ₩7,352 short for the camera,” Yoseob frowned and pinching a space between her thumb and forefinger, “so can you give me a bit more discount, please?”

 

The ahjumma widened her eyes in amusement and laughed loudly at the cute gesture. She walked towards the window display, took out the camera, and waved her hand dismissively, “You know what, young man? Just give me ₩10,000 and buy some nice spicy rice cake with the remainder of your money.” She put the camera in a nice colourful box and gave it to Yoseob, “Just be sure to capture the one you love as your first picture,” she winked at him, “that’s the rule of this camera. And if you do, you will be together forever.”

 

Yoseob beamed at her and bowed over and over again until the ahjumma was worried that Yoseob would hurt his back. He came out of the shop with a satisfied heart but now the question lingers in his head. What – or who – exactly should he capture as his first picture? The camera was just too precious for Yoseob right now.

 

And Yoseob could not wait to show it off to Doojoon.

 

So through the whole journey to Doojoon’s soccer camp, Yoseob cradled his yet-to-be-used camera in his lap, looking at endless road, houses, rivers, rocks, trees, hills, and more endless roads. It was a relief that his appa knew the way here and showed him how to get there with public transportation. He sighed as he sat on the bus, tired after spending an entire 2 hours of commuting, waiting for the designated stop that Doojoon had told him to get off at.

 

When he alighted at the bus stop, there was no sign of Doojoon there and Yoseob was worried that he might get off at the wrong bus stop. He flipped his phone open to call Doojoon but immediately felt relief washed over him as he saw his best friend running– panting and grinning – towards him. He scowled at Doojoon, “Yah, where were you? I thought I was at the wrong bus stop,” he pouted and he looked around, “this place is foreign.” Doojoon opened his arms and automatically enveloped Yoseob in a warm embrace, “Oh, man. It’s so good to have you visit me here.” He tightened his hug and buried his face on Yoseob’s neck.

 

Yoseob chocked a bit, “Yah, Doojo – Doojoonah, I’m kind of choking here. Yah –“ as he tried to release himself from the strong embrace. Doojoon let go of Yoseob, “Sorry, I was just really excited!” and slung an arm around the younger boy’s shoulder, leading him to his soccer camp.

 

It was a bright autumn morning as Doojoon watched Yoseob prepared food on the table bench under a big tree. “I can’t believe you brought all of this food for me,” Doojoon widened his eyes in excitement as the food containers started to fill in the table. Yoseob looked at him, “When your eomma knew I was coming she literally brought her whole kitchen for you,” Yoseob continued taking out more food containers, “although my eomma had cooked enough for the whole team or something.”

 

Doojoon chuckled brightly as he grabbed the chopsticks and spoon from Yoseob. Yoseob asked, “You wanna invite your friends to eat with us?” He motioned at the almost filled table, “It’s kinda too much for us anyways.” Doojoon shrugged nonchalantly as he continued eating, “Everyone went out to eat at some restaurant downtown and I was the only one here.” Yoseob widened his eyes in shock and stopped eating, “Why didn’t you tell me everyone was planning to go out? I can come over another time when you are free.” Doojoon looked up and chuckled, “It was a rushed plan and I wanna have best friend time with you,” he pointed his chopsticks at Yoseob, “it’s been a while right?” Yoseob pointed his chopsticks back at him and scowled, “Don’t point your chopsticks at people, it’s rude.” The older boy chuckled and petted Yoseob on the head.

 

“Doojoonah, noona visited you already?” Yoseob asked with full mouth, the whole journey had really starved him. Doojoon shook his head, “Nope.”

 

“But why? I know she really really misses you.” Doojoon grinned at him, “She was lost the first time she went to our school. I don’t think she can come here without being lost on her second bus stop.” Yoseob laughed at him as Doojoon continued, “She’s from Canada, she doesn’t know her way around. It’ll be really dangerous.” Yoseob nodded thoughtfully, he was sure Doojoon was the nicest person he had ever known. Ever.

 

“A visit from you is more than enough anyway,” Doojoon stared sincerely at Yoseob and when Yoseob stared back at him, they both laughed their worries away. Doojoon asked about Jieunie and Yoseob said that she was fine, busy. But with her talent, Yoseob said, she ought to be busy. Yoseob told him about Gina, about school, what he had missed, how lucky Doojoon had been to be exempted from all those horrendous exams and surprise quizzes, about their families, how Doojoon’s eomma called Yoseob’s five days before the intended visit day to ask if Yoseob needed a lift to the bus stop to go to Doojoon’s camp.

 

Doojoon listened attentively to Yoseob’s stories, laughing along, adding comments here and there (“Yeah, my mom is a worrywart”, Doojoon said. Yoseob looked at him incredulously, “It passes on to you. You asked Gina noona to walk me home.”), and he really really really enjoyed the company.

 

Especially Yoseob’s.

 

Halfway through his stories, Yoseob remembered his newly purchased camera and was ready to show it off to Doojoon, “Doojoonah, look. I bought something. Wait –“ Doojoon slid his head forward to see Yoseob opened up a colorful box and took out an old-fashioned camera.

 

“Ta-dah! Isn’t this nice?” Yoseob beamed. Doojoon raised his eyebrows in amusement as he watched excitement flashing across Yoseob’s face. “That is quite… vintage,” Doojoon mused. Yoseob laughed at him, “Yeah, this is really old and it uses roll films. Isn’t that awesome? I bought this for ₩10,000.” Doojoon observed as Yoseob fiddled with his camera.

 

Yoseob said cheerfully, “And the nice ahjumma said that the rule for this camera is to capture my loved one as the first picture,” he looked up at Doojoon and beamed, “isn’t it cute?”

 

Doojoon frowned as he tried to keep in his laughter, “So you took a picture of Jieunie already then?” Yoseob shook his head, “Nope. I haven’t used the camera yet. I was still thinking of whom I love the most in the whole universe.” Immediately Doojoon raised his hand straight in the air, “Me. Absolutely me. Yoon Doojoon.” The younger boy giggled and answered, “Yeah, we’ll see about that,” he shrugged, “I thought of my eomma but that will be too cliché, not quite interesting.”

 

Suddenly a burst of chaotic voices took over the quiet atmosphere and Yoseob saw a group of boys entering the camp site. “Those are my camp mates. They are dying to see you. Hey guys!” Doojoon turned to their direction and shouted, he even waved to attract their attention. The group of boys immediately turned their attention to Doojoon.

 

And to Yoseob, who was sitting on the bench.

 

And the boisterous voices turned louder, grins and smiles grew wider, as they ran towards Doojoon – towards Yoseob – in maximum capacity of being thrilled. It was a blur chaos of dude, no wonder you skipped out on us for him and Yoseobah, I’m  Jinwoonie andwe finally meet you, Yoseobah and guys, don’t scare my best friend away, amongst other things.

 

Fortunately, Yoseob was saved by the loud shout from the coach and everyone started scrambling back to the soccer field to continue on with their training. “I’ll be on the field over there,” Doojoon pointed at the wide plain across the lawn, “watch me train before going home, ok?” Yoseob nodded and began clearing out the food containers and keeping them back in his backpack.

 

Yoseob sat on the bleacher at the side of the field, camera safely cradled on his lap, watching Doojoon intently. He saw a bandage around his right knee and flinched a little, he should never tell Doojoon’s eomma about this. He missed Doojoon so very much, he was always busy with his soccer and now he has girlfriend and his new friends too. But Yoseob would rather die than being clingy to him, they were growing up and some things got to change, and Yoseob just hoped that their friendship was not one of them. Yoseob observed Doojoon, how his physique had changed along the way. He was definitely taller, stronger, thicker, and more in shape than how Yoseob remembered him. Doojoon had this effortless attitude around him which made him really likeable and this approach translated into his play, making him more efficient on the field.

 

Subconsciously, Yoseob positioned his camera hole in front of his eyes and snapped a picture of Doojoon. He was in position to kick a ball, with his hands in mid air, his back facing Yoseob. The picture did not reveal Doojoon’s face but Yoseob didn’t need a face to identify Doojoon.

 

Doojoon looked over and saw a camera covering Yoseob’s right eye, he waved and grinned at the younger, “Yoseobah! I’m your first picture, right?” Yoseob frowned at him and stood up, gesturing with his hand to get Doojoon running, “Yah, pay attention to the ing game! See that guy is coming with a ball!” Doojoon burst into laughter, waved a hand dismissively at Yoseob, and continued running.

 

Yoseob placed his camera back to his lap. He could not wait to see the developed photo, it should be quite amazing. Doojoon was his first picture and he hoped that they were always together forever, happily ever after. A silly big grin bloomed on his face.

 

Now that Yoseob had captured his first – and most important of all – picture, that meant he could take any picture from now on, right? An excited shudder ran through his body.

 

Whatever it is, the camera was just too precious for Yoseob right now.