Heo Gayoon

Twenty Years

 

Finalllllyyyyyy!!!! finally i finished writing this chapter \o/ yay!! okaes so gayoon is here and i love her. i think she is totally hilarious lol. 

and thank you everyone who read and left me lovely comments and stuck with my y updating timing. i love you all and i really feel like i'm taking all of you for granted T.T thank you thank you thank you. love love love <33333

 

 

 

23 years old, Heo Gayoon.

 

 

Yoseobraised his eyebrow, being absolutely cautious towards the attractive 22 years old young lady sitting across of him. Well, she obviously had taken extra effort before coming here, perfectly manicured nails painted in pretty soft pink, soft brown wavy hair falling impeccably around her shoulders, soft pink lipgloss painted over her pouty lips, eyes flawlessly rimmed by eyeliner and mascara –

 

 

The young lady seemed to be oblivious to the fact that Yoseob was observing her, or maybe she had been observed too much and it was such a natural thing for her. Instead, she leaned closer to Yoseob, a hand supported her pretty face on the table as her nicely done eyes sparkled with curiosity.

 

 

“So it’s true?” She asked.

 

 

Yoseob leaned back onto his chair, trying to get as far away as he could from her. He was uncomfortable all right, and Yoon Doojoon for taking such a long time to just get their drinks to the table. Yoseob stole a quick glance to the collection counter near the entrance and saw Doojoon waiting to get their orders from the baristas.

 

 

He sighed in defeat and focused back on the curious young lady in front of him, “What is true?”

 

 

Gayoon whined in a cute way, “You’re not listening to me…” Yoseob scoffed, ing right he did not, she was too creepy in his opinion. She continued, “Are you and Doojoon a couple or something?”

 

 

Now, Gayoon had Yoseob’s undivided attention as he frowned, “What? No. Where did you hear that from?” Yoseob scoffed and took another nervous look at Doojoon, who was still at the collection counter.

 

 

She straightened up on her chair and shrugged, “Everyone is kind of aware that you guys are always together, even after the both of you have entered different universities. And when you two came in, Doojoon had his arm possessively around your shoulders and you had this big happy grin on your face, I mean… y’know…” She shrugged again and folded her hands neatly on the table.

 

 

“We are best friends, Gayoon-sshi.”

 

 

Gayoon did not seem convinced as she babbled on, “Gayoonie, please….and people were telling me stories on how he ran away from his precious and totally important soccer practice last year when you were admitted to the hospital. Everyone knew that…”

 

 

Yoseob tuned out as he remembered the kiss that went after and although it was already almost a year ago, the scene was still fresh in his mind and he was trying his best not to blush or feel embarrassed about it. At this point, Yoseob was praying so hard that their drinks would magically appear and Doojoon did not have to wait anymore so he could immediately come back to their table and saved Yoseob for all of this macabre.

 

 

“… are you guys seriously not together in any romantic way?”

 

 

Yoseobcame back to reality as he stared at the pretty little thing in front of him. He smiled ever so sweetly to her, “We are best friends, come on.” Yoseob laughed awkwardly but Gayoon did not seem to notice the awkwardness as she laughed with him and clasped her hands in front of her chest, “Oh good, because I really like him, Yoseob oppa. Like really really like him.” Gayoon laughed again and Yoseob nodded in full understanding of the whole situation now. A sincere smile graced his face.

 

 

“Are you guys talking about me?” Doojoon finally appeared bringing a tray full of drinks and cakes. Yoseob did not fail to notice the sparkles in Gayoon’s eyes when Doojoon set the drinks and cakes one by one on the table to their respective owners. When Doojoon went to give the tray back to one of the baristas, Gayoon whispered, “Isn’t Doojoon oppa such a dream? He even set the drinks and cakes for us.” Yoseob smiled awkwardly at her because Doojoon had always done this for Yoseob since they were eight, so it was not even special to begin with.

 

 

Yoseob wondered if he was taking Doojoon for granted.

 

 

When Doojoon was back, he automatically slid into the seat beside Yoseob and comfortably placed his arm on the backrest of Yoseob’s chair. The dreamy expression stayed on Gayoon’s face and Yoseob just could not hold himself any longer as he nudged Doojoon harshly on the ribs. Doojoon winced and stared at Yoseob mouthing a rude ‘’, rubbing away the pain the younger man had inflicted on him.

 

 

Yoseob ignored him and nonchalantly said, “Yah Doojoonah, can you move over to sit beside Gayoon-sshi? I’m putting my laptop on the chair you are sitting on.”

 


“Why?” Doojoon almost whined.

 

 

“Because it is precious.”

 

 

Doojoon’s eyes widened in feigned shock as he straightened up from his slouching position, “So I’m not precious?”

 

 

Yoseob made an exasperated ‘tsk’ sound at him, “Come on, go. Can Doojonie sit next to you, Gayoon-sshi?” Yoseob flashed his no-one-can-refuse-this smile at Gayoon and she immediately lit up. She pulled out the chair next to her to welcome Doojoon. She nodded and blushed at Yoseob, “Gayoonie…”

 

 

Yoseob pushed Doojoon out of his seat and grinned at Gayoon, “Gayoonie, thanks so much.” Gayoon was busy brushing her already perfect and shiny hair with her fingers and pulling down her mini skirt to cover more of her exposed thighs. Reluctantly, Doojoon moved to sit next to Gayoon and he huffed, gulping a big amount of his favourite Americano as glared at the still grinning Yoseob.

 

 

A satisfied grin broke onto Yoseob’s face. An embarrassed Gayoon and an irritated Doojoon. What a sight. He leaned back into his chair and could not help but feel that Gayoon was such a sweet girl – and helplessly in love with his retarded friend.

 

 

 

 

It all started during Doojoon’s house warming dinner.

 

 

Apparently Doojoon, as the most promising rising soccer star at 23, was successful enough to afford himself a nice and spacious apartment at one of the most lavish towers in Seoul. It housed 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a few other empty rooms (training room, workroom, and entertainment room), and Yoseob was not even sure that Doojoon would use all of these rooms by himself.

 

 

The apartment itself was not obnoxiously luxurious (Yoseob believed that Doojoon would never spend the effort to be luxurious) but it was cozy and comfortable, just like how Doojoon had always been to Yoseob. The most prominent objects in the whole apartment were the big TV screen in the living room, a WII and 6 remotes, a Playstation 3 and 3 controllers, and stacks of games CD’s. Yoseob scoffed, Doojoonie was such a boy, he wondered how the older man could even survive by himself.

 

 

It was not a grand affair, only family was invited – not even friends – so basically, there were only 5 people attending the dinner – Doojoon, his father, his mother his noona, and of course Yoseob. And mind you, Yoseob was there because the younger man was practically family to the Yoon household.

 

 

Doojoon pouted when Doori scooped more rice and his mother placed some stewed beef into Yoseob’s bowl, “Noona, I’m your dongsaeng, not Yoseobie. And eomma too, I’m your son, not Yoseobie!” He chucked his chopsticks on the table with feigned anger at the obvious biased treatment towards Yoseob from his own family, “I’m not eating anymore.”

 

 

Yoseob stared incredulously at Doojoon’s childish behavior and instead of pacifying him, he playfully shoved Doojoon off the dining table and moved to occupy Doojoon’s spot instead. “Fine, if you are not eating then scram, don’t crowd the table.” Yoseob said coldheartedly.

 

 

“Yah Yoseobah, yah – YAH!” Doojoon forced Yoseob back to his own spot as he claimed his seat back around the table and sulked. Yoseob laughed at Doojoon and placed a big piece of fried chicken onto Doojoon’s rice bowl. “That’s for you, stop sulking, you big baby. You’ll get indigestion.”A smile bloomed on Doojoon’s face as he stared at the fried chicken on his bowl.

 

 

It was all good and nice and calm when suddenly Doojoon’s mother chimed in, “Ah Doojoonah, where’s Gayoon? You didn’t invite her over?”

 

 

Doojoon chocked on his chicken and it splattered across the table, “Eh – what – who? Huh – ? Oops sorry…” He suddenly busied himself cleaning the table.

 

 

“Gayoonie. The girl that you brought home last time.” Doojoon’s father continued cluelessly.

 

 

Yoseob turned his head ever so slowly towards Doojoon and smiled ever so sweetly to him – the older man saw the gritted teeth and it was the devils’ smile – when he asked, “Who is Gayoonie, Doojoonah? Hmm?”

 

 

Doojoon widened his eyes in fear, Yoseob’s sweet smile sent cold shivers up his spine, “No. No. it’s not what –“

 

 

“And you brought her home, Doojoonie? Hmm?”

 

 

Doojoon never thought that his eye could go bigger than this, but they did, “Yoseobah, it was not –“

 

 

Doori chimed in when she asked, “Yoseobah, you did not know about her? She is very pretty.”

 

 

Yoseob supported his head with a hand on the table as he asked threateningly, “Yeah, why didn’t I know, Doojoonah? Hmmm?”

 

 

Doojoon pleaded to Yoseob with his eyes as if the younger man was about to take his life in a flash. He had promised Yoseob before that he would tell him everything. Every single thing without exception. But Doojoon did not think much of Gayoon, it was just a mere coincidence that Gayoon was lost in the neighborhood when he was visiting his parents.

 

 

She was supposed to come over to a friend’s house but she got lost instead, her phone was out of battery and being a sheltered young lady from an affluent family, she lacked the ability to fend for herself in the direst situations (because everything was always taken care of for her).

 

 

It was already dark when Doojoon met Gayoon. She was squatting at the corner of the road, head slumped on her hands which were tightly folded on top of her knees. And Doojoon, being the responsible and nice and helpful and nosy guy he was, approached her carefully and called her out softly. Her eyes were red when she looked up, her lower lips trembled when he saw Doojoon – he was not sure whether it was out of fear or relief.

 

 

“… are you okay?” Doojoon looked down at her, stopping at a good five meters away. She whispered a soft “I’m lost and I cannot contact my driver to pick me up” and went back to burying her face on her hands.

 

 

Doojoon sighed, it was a long day and it just got longer, “I’m not a murdered, nor a , nor a bad guy,” he sighed again heavily, “so if you want to, you can come over for dinner and call your driver to pick you up from my parents’ house, okay?” It was like cooing a little girl but Doojoon’s conscience told him that he could not just leave her alone in the unfamiliar neighborhood.

 

 

“I’m Yoon Doojoon by the way, just so you know, not like it’s important anyway. Okay, so I’m going to walk off now, if you want to, you can follow me.” And Doojoon started walking away from her.

 

 

Doojoon were ten steps away when he heard soft rustles and quick shuffles behind him and then suddenly, there was a tug at the back of his shirt. He stopped and looked back only to find Gayoon tugging on it, “I’m scared and it’s dark, I need to hold on to something.” Doojoon smiled and nodded as he continued walking with Gayoon following behind him, tugging at his shirt.

 

 

She was Heo Gayoon and the whole Yoon family immediately fell in love with her. His mother was fussing over her the whole time, “Ommo, our poor Gayoonie, lost and alone. Come, eat up,” as she placed another stir fry onto her bowl. For Doojoon it was a one-time incident and thought nothing much of it.

 

 

Doojoon was sincerely shocked when he met her the next day in his university, all bright and sunny and looking for him, handing him cookies and such. She was a one year Doojoon’s junior (a junior Doojoon had never known) and apparently she was quite popular due to her bright personality, her attractive physical attributes, and the fact that her father was one of the members of the board of directors. Well, that explained it all.

 

 

Yet Doojoon thought nothing of her and she was not even on the list of ‘Things Doojoon had to tell Yoseob Daily’ because really, the older man had even forgotten about Heo Gayoon. And Doojoon was silently grudging about his parents for bringing this matter up during the house warming dinner and cursing his luck when Yoseob found out.

 

 

It took a whole two hours that night (after everyone was already on their way home and Yoseob stayed back to help Doojoon cleaned up because although Yoseob hated him, the younger man was a helpful boy) just to narrate the whole story in great details to Yoseob and seek for the younger’s forgiveness. It was not even Doojoon’s fault but it, he would apologize all year round if it meant having Yoseob actually talking to him again. Yoseob did talk to him again that night, it was curt, but it was enough for Doojoon and the older man hugged Yoseob tightly before seeing him off.

 

 

And because fate was always nice to him and never cruel, Doojoon met Gayoon inside a café when he was having his usual best friend time with Yoseob. Doojoon was about to drag Yoseob out of the café when Gayoon spotted him and waved frantically at him with her dazzling smile. And this was how he ended up sitting uncomfortably and awkwardly beside Heo Gayoon with Yoseob grinning evilly at him across the table.

 

 

Doojoon knew Yoseob was punishing him, having a ball when Doojoon was obviously uneasy and distressed, but he figured that he deserved it anyway so he just played along. And finally, finally, when Gayoon looked at her watch and panicked because she was late for her next lecture (this happened after two grueling hours of small chats, anything but important and fun according to Doojoon), the older man grinned widely at her and waved his outmost goodbye. It was finally back to just the two of them. Doojoon and Yoseob.

 

 

Yoseob sighed in relief as he grinned up at Doojoon, “That was fun.”

 

 

Doojoon rolled his eyes at him, “Right.”

 

 

“No seriously, Doojoonah. I think she is nice.” Yoseob continued while fiddling with his empty cup.

 

 

Doojoon noticed Yoseob’s movement and a tinge of sadness in his voice, “Yah, what’s wrong with you?”

 

 

Yoseob shrugged, “Nothing, just… thank you.” He smiled at Doojoon.

 

 

The older man frowned and widened his eyes in pure fear, “Yoseobah, you are scaring me. What’s going on?”

 

 

“Nothing, I just feel like…”

 

 

“What?”

 

 

Yoseob smiled sadly at him, “… like I take you for granted. All these years.”

 

 

Doojoon scoffed, “What the is that.”

 

 

Yoseob looked straight to Doojoon and the older man saw genuine sincerity in those round orbs, “Just… thank you, Doojoonah.”

 

 

Doojoon smiled and ruffled Yoseob’s hair with so much affection, “Thank you, Yoseobah and you are welcome.”

 

 

Yoseob smiled at Doojoon, he was honestly happy about the whole Gayoon thing. But when he saw Doojoon’s wide grin and felt the older man’s hand ruffling his hair, he wondered why his chest tightened painfully.

 

 

And not in a good way either.