Soccer

Twenty Years

 

Okaes so there will be lots of mistakes but i just can't re-read it again so my deepest apologies if my story went out here and there. i hope it's not boring and bleeghhh :) as always comments are loved!

And @ TheDevilSaidHey this is a longer chapter, hope this is okay for you <333 

 

 

 

12 years old, Soccer

 

 

 

Yang Yoseob did not understand.

 

 

Honestly, Yang Yoseob did not know how everything turned out this way.

 

 

Yang Yoseob and Yoon Doojoon had been playing soccer since forever and then – what was happening now? – things changed. Suddenly Yoon Doojoon was one of the most wanted soccer players by all middle schools in Seoul at the age of twelve. He was dubbed one of the most talented, the young David Beckham of Korea.

 

 

And Yoseob could not help but chortled, he thought this was overly ridiculous, Yoon Doojoon was totally overrated because Yoseob was sure that a young David Beckham would not let Yoseob kick his shin or his when the younger boy was upset, or subconsciously carry Yoseob’s backpack to class every single day (“Yoseobah, you are too tiny and how can you grow taller with all that load behind you?”), and wait –

 

 

Didn’t Doojoonie like FC Barcelona more or something?

 

 

So Yoseob just hated all of these attention on Doojoon. Of course Doojoon still ran to him grinning from ear to ear, shouting “Yoseobaahh! Let’s eat spicy rice cakesnow! I’m so hungry!” Previously it would be Yoseob and Doojoon racing outside the school gate, trying to be first to get to the roadside stall, losers paid (it actually did not matter who won because Doojoon paid everything after all).

 

 

But now, Yoseob could always hear a faint calling from Lee Seonsaengnim, their agile PE teacher, reminding Doojoon of soccer practice and the older boy would immediately stop running and pouted, his limbs falling lifelessly at the sides of his body, head down in disappointment. Before he turned back and jogged back to soccer practice, Doojoon always grinned at Yoseob and said, “Tomorrow, Yoseobah. I’m paying!” Yoseob grinned back and nodded.

 

 

When Doojoon was gone for soccer practice, Yoseob walked alone to their favorite spicy rice cakesstall and sat down by himself. The nice ahjumma had stopped asking about Doojoon’s whereabouts to Yoseob after the younger boy spent a week eating alone.

 

 

It all started a good one month before. A fated late afternoon that Doojoon and Yoseob spent in a park.

 

 

They had just finished playing soccer together, just the two of them, having fun, and Doojoon was trying to snatch away Yoseob’s drink because the younger boy’s water bottle was way bigger than Doojoon’s and the older boy thought that Yoseob needed less water because he was tiny. But that aside, Doojoon still insisted that he needed more water although he knew Yoseob was a camel who stored up water in his fingers (and how can your hands be so big, Yoseobah, seriously?).

 

 

A foreign, unknown soccer ball rolled to Yoseob’s foot and a loud shout was heard not long after, “Yah, kid! Kick the ball back!” And so Yoseob did, he kicked the soccer ball and unintentionally hit one of the boys right in the face. It was pure accident, of course, but those guys were huge, almost twice Yoseob’s size and most probably already in college. It was chaotic as the guy was bleeding from his nose and Yoseob… poor Yoseob was just shocked to his bones and stood frozen in his spot. One of them, the one who Doojoon observed to be the most skilled, ran over to Yoseob and towered over him.

 

 

Yoseob’s face was as white as the moon, blood draining out of his whole body and it was not because he was afraid of the college student, instead it was because Yoseob had never, ever in his life, hurt anyone to the extent of bleeding. And his eomma was going to give him some serious scolding for it.

 

 

Oh my God, my eomma. Yoseob shivered.

 

 

The huge guy blinked at Yoseob, he did not appear angry or upset or offended at all. Instead he blinked at Yoseob and raised his eyebrows, “Wow, how old are you?” Yoseob was still in shock due to the fact that he hurt a person and the thoughts of his eomma traumatized him, so Doojoon answered for him, “He’s twelve.”

 

 

There was a slight pause.

 

 

“He is tiny, oh my God.”

 

 

Doojoon stared at the guy before falling into an uncontrollable laughter, “I know right, he is tiny. Everyone says so.” Yoseob was gaping as his mouth continued to open and close without any coherent words coming out of it.

 

 

The college student chuckled and extended a hand, “Park Ji Hoon, 19.” Doojoon grinned and grabbed Ji Hoon’s hand, bowing politely, “Yoon Doojoon,” he pointed to Yoseob who bowed as politely, “and Yang Yoseob. We are twelve.”

 

 

“Those guys are my friends. Same age as me,” Ji Hoon pointed to the group of eight healthy men on the small field and one injured man with tissues stuffed into his nose. “Since we are one man down, do you think you can replace him?” He looked at Yoseob, “Yoseobah? Are you okay with playing with us? Your kick was awesome!” Ji Hoon showed Yoseob a thumb up and smiled at Yoseob.

 

 

Yoseob smiled back, shock slowly fading and the pink tinge on both of his cheek was gradually coming back. At least the person with the bleeding nose was not going to die on Yoseob. He tugged at Doojoon shirt and answered, “Hyung, I think Doojoonie will be better, he is way more awesome,” putting much more pressure when he said the word ‘way’ and continued, “he really, really loves soccer.” Yoseob grinned, “And he is not tiny.”Ji Hoon laughed and ruffled Yoseob’s hair.

 

 

Doojoon just watched the whole conversation quietly. Because Doojoon was only a few months older, Yoseob had never called him hyung. He thought it would be nice to be called hyung once in a while.

 

 

Ji Hoon then averted his attention to Doojoon and grinned, “Ah Doojoonah, you okay with playing with us? It’ll be great!” Doojoon nodded in approval before Ji Hoon gave a thumb up and jogged back to his friends.

 

 

Doojoon took a hold of Yoseob’s hand and turned the younger boy to face him, tone serious and cautious, “Sit quietly by the side and don’t talk to strangers. We will walk home together.” Yoseob nodded and held Doojoon’s hand tighter.

 

 

It was different playing with adults, they were taller, stronger, faster, but Doojoon was not to be taken lightly. He shone on the field and everyone was in awe at how this 12-year-old could play such a perfect game, even calculated his every move tactically. Before Doojoon knew it, the game was over and the college students were all over him, taking pictures of him and asking which school he attended.

 

 

In fact, the college students were players from Little League and in a short two weeks, Doojoon’s pictures and information were all over the internet and mobile phones. People started taking interest in this ‘young David Beckham of Korea’ and middle schools were all over Yoon Doojoon.

 

 

So this was how it all started and Lee Seonsaengnim wasted no time to get Doojoon in his soccer team. And Doojoon started missing from their usual spicy rice cakes meals, or from their fun soccer sessions, the older boy did not even have time to go to Yoseob’s house anymore and Yoseob did not want to disturb Doojoon by going to his house either. Yoseob was still grateful that they had lunch together, a time where they could catch up, and even sometimes Doojoon was missing from lunch because some middle school people came to talk to him.

 

 

But these were all breezy and nice for Yoseob until Yoseob saw Doojoon’s middle school application form.

 

 

It was one fine day when Yoseob decided to stop by Doojoon’s class during break. And there Doojoon was, sleeping soundly in all of his glory with head slumped on his desk and limbs weakly hanging at the sides of his body. Yoseob chuckled silently and crept stealthily towards the sleeping boy, and when he was about to scare Doojoon awake, his eyes caught a messy stack of paper, which looked too similar to a middle school application form. And it was a different middle school that they had promised to go together.

 

 

So Yoseob took a peek.

 

 

The envelope was sent to Doojoon, offering him a rare chance to be admitted to one of the most prestigious sport schools in Seoul. The form was still empty, but the examination date was the same as the middle school they were going together. Yoseob walked out quietly.

 

 

Doojoon did not know Yoseob came and Yoseob never told him he knew about the offer. From that day onwards, Yoseob had never asked Doojoon again about the exams for their promised middle school.

 

 

So Yoseob was totally, honestly shocked when a boy was running late and barged into the class where Yoseob was taking exam for his middle school . Yoseob was purely stunned to see Yoon Doojoon panting for breath, profusely apologizing and bowing for his lateness and was finally let in (because every single middle school would die to have this young soccer prodigy).

 

 

He took a seat far behind Yoseob and when Yoseob turned to look at Doojoon, the older boy grinned and waved at him in excitement. Yoseob made a face and stuck his tongue out at Doojoon, yet when the younger boy shifted back to face his paper, a smile bloomed on his face.  

 

 

Yoon Doojoon had Yang Yoseob and soccer.

 

 

But Yang Yoseob only had Yoon Doojoon and nothing else.

 

 

Yoseob wondered if that was okay.