Umbrella

Twenty Years

 

A/N : *weeepss* i cant find a nice yellow umbrella picture and this red one is so nice :) 

 

 

15 years old, Umbrella

 

 

“Yoseobahh!”

 

Yoseob walked steadily towards the school gate. At this point, it was considered a huge success in ignoring the insolent shouts of his name.

 

“Yoseobahhh!!”

 

The shouts got louder but Yoseob thought – hoped – that the sound of heavy rain pouring down, the sound of every droplet hitting the surface of concrete ground, would mask the shouts and no one would notice.

 

“Yang Yoseob!!!”

 

Clearly Yoseob was proven wrong when a classmate who walked past him, tapped him on the shoulder, “Yoseobah, I think – “ Yoseob swiftly turned to him and flashed a smile, “Thanks, Min Woo-ah, get home safely and don’t get caught in the rain.” Min Woo smiled back and motioned towards the school building, where the incessant shouts originated.

 

Yoseob turned around and upon seeing the grinning boy who had just ruined everyone’s lives, he rolled his eyes and let out a groan of frustration. Yoseob hated that expression, it was the I’m-winning-Yoseobah face and Yoseob wanted nothing but to crumple that face and threw it into the nearest rubbish bin.

 

He stomped back to the school building and glared at the smiling boy, “What?”

 

Doojoon pouted, “I have no umbrella! How can you leave me alone?” Yoseob made an extremely offended face and snorted back, “You hate my yellow umbrella. And you told me once you would never get caught walking under this umbrella even if you were dead.”

 

There wasn’t a speck of remorse on Doojoon’s face as he grinned, “But how am I supposed to get back home?” Yoseob shrugged nonchalantly, “Bring your own damned umbrella. Go figure.” Yoseob frowned, “You should have taken the spot they offered you in that prestigious sport school and stayed in the dorm.”

 

Doojoon whined, ”But I wanna go home with Yoseobie.” Yoseob made a face at him and gagged, “Stop it, that’s disgusting. Don’t you have soccer practice or soccer match or soccer something today?” Doojoon shook his head and grabbed the handle of the bright yellow umbrella from Yoseob’s grasp, “Nope. The weather’s crazy so we cancel everything.” Doojoon took his bag from the floor, threw it on his shoulder, took Yoseob’s bag from the younger boy’s back, slung it onto his other shoulder, and carried the books Yoseob was holding in his hands.

 

Yoseob nodded thoughtfully while Doojoon led them out of the school building and into the heavy rain. Yoseob held onto Doojoon’s left arm tightly, squeezing himself under the umbrella next to the older boy.

 

But it felt really weird to Yoseob. He was not even a tiny bit drenched when he ought to be at least – somehow one way or another – wet (he shared umbrella with Doojoon after all). And so he looked up to see the bright yellow umbrella unevenly tipped to his side more than to Doojoon’s, and he took a peek to Doojoon’s right side to see a partially soaked uniform jacket and long pants.

 

“Yah, you are a moron.” Yoseob tried to tilt Doojoon’s left hand, which held the handle of the umbrella, to cover the older boy’s right side but Doojoon’s hand did not budge, “I’m fine.” Yoseob frowned, “Yah, babo, my books are drenched. Who cares about you.” Doojoon laughed and slightly revealed the inside of his jacket where Yoseob’s books were safely tucked, “Your books are fine, they are inside my uniform jacket. See?”

 

Yoseob’s frowned got deeper, “You’ll get sick.”

 

Doojoon grinned and pressed himself closer to Yoseob, “Aw, our Yoseobie is worrying about me.”

 

Yoseob kicked Doojoon in the shin and for a short period the older boy lost his balance due to the pain, “I’m not sharing umbrella with you anymore.” Doojoon chuckled loudly while Yoseob insistently trying to tilt the handle of the umbrella to Doojoon’s side.

 

 

 

 

“What?”

 

Yoseob looked up, annoyed, from his table in the library to see Doojoon looming over him with one of his stupid grins, “I told you I’m not sharing umbrella with you and you hate my yellow umbrella anyways.”

 

Doojoon squatted down so that he was eye level to Yoseob, “Yoseobah, I’m going out with Jihyunnie later.”

 

Yoseob stared at him wide-eyed, “Jihyunnie – Nam Jihyun?” Doojoon grinned and nodded. It was too much of a shock to Yoseob that this inferior being was having a date with Nam Jihyun, the most beautiful, kind-hearted, intelligent, the teacher’s pet – and the list goes on – anything rainbows and sunshine anyone could ever think of.

 

Yoseob glanced at his watch excitedly, “Doojoonah, what time is your date? You can’t be late.” Doojoon beamed at the younger boy, “We are going after my soccer practice and she will be waiting for me during practice. You staying here for a while?” Yoseob nodded and grinned sincerely at Doojoon, “Yep, have fun!”

 

There was a pause and a slight frown appeared on Doojoon’s forehead. He stretched out his arm and petted Yoseob’s head, “You okay going home alone?” Yoseob snorted at him, “What am I, five? Psshh…” He waved a hand dismissively, “Go. You are late again for your soccer practice.”

 

It was a really late afternoon when Yoseob decided that he was going home, but on his way across the school lawn to the school gate, it started drizzling lightly and he hated himself for doing this – he hated himself for even thinking of doing it – but he did it anyway. And he hated himself even more.

 

 

 

 

It was storming just like a few days before (maybe today was worse compared to that day) and Doojoon winced when he heard a loud thunder roaring in the sky. He had showered and was ready to go on his date when he opened up his locker and his face turned pale.

 

Yoseob’s yellow umbrella was nicely folded inside his locker and there was a note on it.

 

Doojoonah, don’t get Jihyunnie wet.

 

Doojoon threw his bag on his shoulder and was ready to bolt off to find Yoseob when –

 

“Doojoonie,” a sweet voice called him. Doojoon turned back to see Jihyun all ready to go, waving an umbrella in her hand, “You bring an umbrella too?”

 

“No, this is actually – “

 

“Aw, that’s so thoughtful. So can we share your umbrella then? Should I keep mine?” Jihyun smiled and her eyes formed into two of the most beautiful crescent moons Doojoon had ever seen. She was the sweetest, the nicest, and Doojoon liked her so very much, but it was just that Yoseob –

 

“Jihyunah, I’m sorry. I actually have something really important to do today,” Doojoon smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of his head. Jihyun raised her eyebrows in pure guilt, “Oh? I’m sorry I didn’t know…I just forced you to…”

 

Doojoon held up his hands mid air to pacify Jihyun, “No, no, no. It was my fault that I forgot. I’m sorry,” He smiled to her, “So next week?”

 

Jihyun smiled back and nodded, “Yeah, next week is fine.”

 

“See you around, Jihyunie.” Doojoon wasted no time and ran off into the storm to look for Yoseob.

 

 

 

 

Yoseob shivered inside one of the house equipments at the playground. It was too cold for his body and he could only wait for the rain to stop before he was able to go back home. He imagined Doojoon and Jihyun, waking in the rain, hand in hand, under one umbrella and he smiled to himself. He thought it was cute, it was adorable, and it was all thanks to his bright yellow umbrella which Doojoon hated. Look who’s laughing now, Doojoonah.

 

But then he kind of wished that Doojoon would rescue him here somehow but that would be downright mean and selfish, so Yoseob chuck the thoughts away in the deepest and furthest compartment of his brain and lock it away so that it would never resurface again. The cold was killing him right now and Yoseob shivered again, slowly closing his eyes as his tired body gradually started to shut down.

 

“Yoseobah!!”

 

The cold must be killing Yoseob because he heard a faint sound of Doojoon’s voice.

 

“Yang Yoseob!!”

 

Well, the cold must be infecting his brain because the voice sounded exactly like Doojoon’s, except that it could not be true.

 

“Yah Yang Yoseob!!”

 

The voice grew louder and Yoseob struggled to peek out from his pink inadequate shelter. Well, the cold must be damaging his brain because he saw a figure that looked just like Yoon Doojoon holding a bright yellow umbrella (which looked exactly like Yoseob’s) in the middle of the storm, running towards the playground.

 

“Doojoonah…” It was too soft, too faint, so Yoseob tried again.

 

“Yoon Doojoon!”

 

Doojoon turned his head towards the pink house and squinted his eyes, trying to have a clearer and better vision in the midst of the storm. When he saw a blurry shivering figure peeking out, he dashed towards it and climbed up the pink house.  

 

“Babo! Yah, what are you doing!” Doojoon knelt beside Yoseob and quickly covered him with his uniform jacket and wrapped the shivering boy in a tight hug, “Yoseobah, how long have you been here?”

 

Yoseob kept silent, leaning against the warm body, closing his eyes slowly while Doojoon rubbed the younger boy’s back vigorously, trying to warm him up. Doojoon shook Yoseob awake, “Don’t sleep on me, you’ll lose consciousness. Stay with me. Yoseobah, do you hear me?” Doojoon shook Yoseob harder and the younger boy let out an annoyed grunt, “Stop shaking me so violently. I heard you all right.”

 

Doojoon chuckled and hugged Yoseob tighter, trying to transfer some of his own body warmth to Yoseob.

 

“So, Doojoonah,” Yoseob started, his lips were all blue and Doojoon rubbed Yoseob’s arms to create warmth, “how’s the date? It was kind of fast.” The older boy cleared his throat, “Well, she had this bright yellow umbrella too, and hers is kinda uglier than yours ‘cos it has these little green hearts all over it.” Yoseob chortled and laughed heartily, “Aw, she is cute. Even her umbrella is cute.”

 

Doojoon could tell that Yoseob was starting to warm up. The body in his embrace was not shivering anymore, was not limp and weak anymore, and Doojoon was beyond relief. Yoseob asked a lot about the date and Doojoon were forced to make up stories about it. They chatted, they bickered well-naturedly, they laughed at (and with) one another, they had jokes on one another, but none of them stopped talking and none of them let go of the other.

 

In the middle of a stormy rain pouring down Seoul, two best friends found sanctuary in one another.