Doljanchi

Twenty Years

 

A/N : The picture is not mine and credit goes to the owner of this picture but he is so cute ugh *squueezzeee him* so I'm back with another 20 years chapter, will get working on the Hyunwoo x Yoseob fic. I hope it's not too late for that :( So Doljanchi and Doljabi are these events the Koreans do for their babies' first birthdays. My apologies for any mistake in details. I just hope the story is realistic enough. 

 

 

30 years old, Doljanchi

 

 

Yoseob raised one of his eyebrows in pure horror at his excited life partner, “You want to do what?”

 

 

Doojoon grinned, thoroughly pumped up by his own idea, “You heard me. Let’s arrange a Doljanchi.”

 

 

There was a slight pause as Yoseob tried to digest the idea. He opened his mouth to reply – and he did not mean to, he swore he did not mean to – and answered sarcastically, “Okay, sure. Let’s have a Dol celebration that is intended for one year old babies. But yeah, let’s have it anyway because Jisung is turning two, if you remember correctly and are not too busy going overseas to coach.” Yoseob shrugged nonchalantly, taking a cookie and putting it into his mouth.

 

 

Doojoon was hardly unfazed by the sharp reply, too used to hearing it for twenty two years now. He motioned for the cookie box Yoseob was holding, “I know, but we haven’t had anything for him. I just thought it would be nice for him… and for us, too. You know, family and all the celebrations it brings.” The photographer got up from his seat on the couch and went to Doojoon, feeding a single cookie into the older man’s mouth as Doojoon cooed, “It’s going to be small, just us and our families and friends. Can we do that for us and Jisung?”

 

 

Sighing in defeat, Yoseob melted and nodded, agreeing to the idea of throwing a celebration for Jisung. Doojoon grinned happily, knowing Yoseob’s two weak spots – Jisung and him. He motioned for another cookie to Yoseob, but instead of taking a piece like a normal person would, Doojoon took the whole box from the younger man’s hand and shoved everything into his mouth carelessly. Yoseob made a face at Doojoon – the father of their baby, for goodness sake – while the older man stayed grinning and held out the cookie box back to him. Out of habit, Yoseob took the empty box and rolled his eyes, “How are you the love of my life, huh?” He shook his head in feigned annoyance as Doojoon kissed his cheek while the older man continued crunching the cookies in his stuffed mouth. “I love you lots, baby.”

 

 

Yoseob sighed, he could never stay mad at Doojoon, no matter how stupid and childish the older man might seem. “So… we are really doing this?”

 

 

Doojoon looked at Yoseob, shocked at the uncertainty, “Hell yeah we are rolling! I’m already calling Junhyung and Noona to have some arrangements.” The younger man folded his hands in front of his chest, “You know Jisung is turning two in like… a week, right?” Doojoon nodded enthusiastically, “Yes, and I cannot wait! This is going to be awesome! I’m gonna get us some help, baby. Don’t worry.” He winked mischievously to Yoseob and approached the younger man, slowly wrapping his arm around a tiny waist and lifting the photographer a little from the floor of their four-bedroom apartment. Doojoon kissed Yoseob passionately until they both moaned and a pair of legs hooked at his back, hands pulling at his hair.

 

 

Hands started to roam freely, tongues one another, lips on lips, on neck, on collarbones, until Yoseob broke it with a surprised “mmppffhh”. He was supposed to pick Jisung up fifteen minutes ago but instead he was here, suspended in the air between Doojoon and the wall, on each other’s faces and skin. , he of all people should have known what making out with a piece of hot Doojoon would lead too and , he was going to be late.

 

 

“What’s up, baby?” Doojoon frowned when Yoseob struggled a little from the intimate hold and tried to plant his feet properly on the ground.

 

 

Yoseob swayed slightly, still feeling to his toes, and he gulped, “I need to pick Jisung up from our Eomma’s.” He said, still flushed to the bones and absolutely breathless, “We’ll finish this tonight.”

 

 

“Are you sure?” Doojoon teased, smiling like the erted Ahjussi that he was and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, “I might not be in the mood later on.”

 

 

Yoseob glared at the older man, “Oh, you will be in the mood, all right. We’ll finish this tonight.” He stepped away and before reaching for the door, he turned back to grin naughtily at Doojoon, “And you will beg me for more, baby.” He walked out with a prominent sway of his hips and the last thing he heard before shutting the door closed was the loud wolf-whistle.  

 

 

\O/ \O/ \O/ \O/ \O/

 

 

“Doojoonah, you have the Hanbok ready?” Yoseob asked, absolutely anxious. They had been running around for the past week, preparing Jisung’s Doljanchi – outfits, food, gift bags, invitations, table settings, banners, and other details which turned Yoseob into his panic mode – and now things were just a little out of order. One week was never enough, and Yoseob should stick to his instinct and say no to Doojoon. He should have said no to Doojoon… it was just that he could never manage to do it. . The Hanbok was not even here yet, it was supposed to come two days ago but one thing and another happened and Jisung was supposed to be dressed, but the outfit was still not here yet.

 

 

Doojoon shook his head, his face feel, “I’m sorry, they will deliver the outfit in another hour.” Yoseob growled, totally worried – his Japchae was not going well either and he still had so many things to prepare. It was an early Sunday morning, the day of Jisung’s Doljanchi and the event was scheduled to start in the afternoon, in another three hours or so.

 

 

“ this,” Yoseob threw the chopsticks onto the beige marble kitchen countertop, almost weeping, frustrated to the highest level. Doojoon widened his eyes in pure surprise, “Don’t curse in front of Jisung, Yoseobah.” They both looked at Jisung who was still sitting excitedly in his high chair, waving his spoon with a happy grin on his face, oblivious to the tense atmosphere in the kitchen and dining room area. It was supposed to be a happy Doljanchi, but everything was going from bad to worse.

 

 

Yoseob frowned, “I’m sorry… I just… everything is not going well. The Japchae is ruined.”

 

 

“It’s just a Japchae, it’s fine. We can always get Noona to buy us some food from that restaurant near her house. Don’t stress yourself over it.”

 

 

“I put too little water and the whole thing hardens.” Yoseob was freaking out, he had never failed Japchae making – he was seriously stressed out.

 

 

Doojoon immediately stood behind Yoseob and wrapped his arms around the younger man’s waist comfortingly, pulling Yoseob closer to him. He rested his chin on Yoseob’s shoulder and kissed the photographer’s neck softly, “It’s okay. We can figure everything out. The event isn’t in another three hours, we have lots of time to prepare.”

 

 

“Three hours! Oh my God, Doojoonah! It’s three hours more and nothing is done!” Yoseob yelled nervously, trying not to scare the happy Jisung. Doojoon tightened his grip from behind, soothing the younger man’s trembling body. Goodness, he should never raise the Doljanchi idea with only a week time of preparation. This was insanity, he felt really bad for Yoseob and he would do anything to get Yoseob to relax.

 

 

“Shhh… shhh… Noona is going to be here in a few more minutes, Junhyung and Hyunseung are going to be here shortly, Kikwang and Dongwoon will help us too. Our families and friends are going to help us, it’s okay.” Doojoon cooed. He knew how stressful Yoseob was about the whole thing. It was supposed to be a simple event in their four-bedroom apartment, inviting only close friends and families to celebrate, but with their extremely busy schedules, even a simple event became too much to prepare. It was truly insanity.

 

 

“At least the seaweed soup is ready, right?” Doojoon tried to lighten up the mood by mentioning the seaweed soup. The soup was easy to do and Doojoon was sure it was ready, and at least Yoseob could be reminded that something went right after all. A gasp left Yoseob’s lips as he started shaking his head, “Seaweed soup! Your Nonna is bringing the seaweed for me, I don’t have enough in the house.” A sob chocked out and Yoseob covered his face with his hands, “I can’t even do seaweed soup. I’m sorry, Doojoonah, I’m sorry…”

 

 

Before Doojoon could apologize to Yoseob because of his stupid idea, there was a knock on the door and he reluctantly pulled himself away from his frustrated lover to answer the door and was almost in tears of happiness when his Noona’s smiling face came into view.

 

 

“Oh. My. God. Noona!” He accentuated every word and was beaming with relief, “Noona, please, Yoseob almost went crazy. He is in the kitchen. I have no idea what to do with him, he was just frustrated and his Japchae is ruined – “

 

 

Even before Doojoon finished talking, Doori pushed him aside, motioning him to bring the grocery bags on the floor outside and walked into the kitchen to find Yoseob crouching in the corner, face hidden in between his knees. She stopped at the table to coo at the happy baby quickly.

 

 

“Yoseobah…” Doori’s sweet voice filled the beige-marbled kitchen and Yoseob’s head quickly snapped up. Relief flooded his face when he saw his sister-in-law standing confidently in the kitchen, and then as quickly as it came, it was replaced with shame. Yoseob was ashamed that he could not prepare even a simple event for his son, ashamed that he could not get everything under control, ashamed that he needed help from other people for his own event.

 

 

Doori smiled sweetly and put her grocery bag up, showing Yoseob the seaweed he had been waiting for.  “Your seaweed is here, baby. You make super delicious seaweed soup.”

 

 

Yoseob was still crouching in the corner, his face scrunched pitifully, “But I messed up the Japchae too, Noona. And I haven’t had time for the spring rolls… and the gimbap…”

 

 

Just then Doojoon trotted in with shopping bangs in his hands to the kitchen. Doori smiled softly, “I have everything ready. Come on, let’s start cooking now.” She was busy taking out ingredients from the grocery bags – meat, vegetables, sauces, frozen food, dry food, canned food – it was a mini market.

 

 

Doori helped Yoseob up and hugged him. “I’m sorry…” Yoseob whimpered. “I’m sorry I could not do this right, Noona. I’m sorry…”

 

 

Doori patted his and replied, “I know how it is to be stuck with Doojoon. It’s not your fault.” She leered towards her brother and Yoseob smiled at Doori’s remark. She was trying to make him feel better by blaming the unhelpful Doojoon. The older man feigned an insulted expression while in fact he was just glad everything worked out for Yoseob, he wanted nothing but for Yoseob to be happy.

 

 

A loud pop song played from Doojoon’s phone on the couch and he scrambled to answer it. When the phone call ended, Doojoon froze and swore loudly, “ this ! Ugh!” He growled to the phone and two heads quickly turned from the kitchen.

 

 

“Yoon Doojoon! Don’t curse in front of your baby!” Doori yelled at him, a shocked expression on her face. The soccer coach closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to harness his anger. He had that hand motion going up and down, a gesture to suppress his wrath. He cleared his throat and peeked to Yoseob, “Baby, the Hanbok is going to be late for another hour. But it’s going to be here, don’t worry.”

 

 

Doojoon winced, waiting for Yoseob to start panicking again, but it never came. He opened his eyes and saw a calm and collected Yoseob slicing carrots, the younger man looked up and just smiled, “It’s okay, Doojoonah. We’ll just dress him in that blue overall if the Hanbok cannot make it in time.”

 

 

Doojoon froze in his spot as his mouth hung open, the difference was too stark. This was the Yoseob he knew and needed, the cool-headed Yoseob, the calm and collected Yoseob, his Yoseob. Doori smiled at her shocked brother, “Doojoonah, go get Jisung cleaned up and put him on a short nap while we prepare, okay? I think he is done with his meal, aren’t you baby?” She cooed at Jisung and grinned at him. The baby boy laughed and babbled at her, calling his father to carry him, “Appa! Appa! Bahbahblahbeugh…”

 

 

Doojoon scooped his son up and bounced the bundle of love in his arms lovingly, he talked to the laughing baby and was responded back with more babbles and baby talks. When both father and son were out of the kitchen and dining room area, Yoseob sighed and picked up his cutting speed. “Are Hyungnim and Jaehee coming over?”

 

 

Doori nodded, “They are. Jaehee slept in so Kwanghee will take her here later on when she is fully awake.” Yoseob nodded, he still remembered how pretty Doori Noona was in her wedding dres when she married Kwanghee Hyungnim and their beautiful baby girl, Jaehee, who would turn five in the spring. She was Jisung’s favourite – and only one – cousin in the whole wide world.

 

 

“Are you feeling okay now, Seobie?” Doori asked, concerned over the little breaking down scene in the kitchen earlier. She rolled the colorful vegetables inside a translucent wrapper, making some spring rolls. Yoseob nodded earnestly, “I was just… this is overwhelming, although I have everyone helping me but it’s just... I’m so ashamed of my inability.” Yoseob sighed, “I have a week to prepare and we both have very busy schedules, I just think that Jisung deserves better, he deserves the best in the whole world.” He exhaled sadly, now scooping some rice onto the seaweed wrapper to make gimbap.

 

 

Doori’s plastic-covered hand held Yoseob’s plastic-covered hand, and when Yoseob looked up, he saw a beautiful smile on his Noona’s face, “I think you and my brother have been really great parents to Jisung. Both of you are even better than some mother-father parents I have met. And the love you two have for each other and for Jisung, it’s inspiring. There was nothing to be ashamed of, nothing at all. Jisung will turn out amazing because he has awesome parents who love him. I sometimes wonder why you settle down with Doojoon though, he is an old ahjussi, isn’t even that handsome and he broke your heart once too many previously. Seriously…” She shrugged.

 

 

Yoseob grinned, eyes twinkling with happiness, “Because I have been in love with him since I was eight, and when the love of your life said he loved you back, you just couldn’t pass that chance up. Yes, he did break my heart once too many but he makes me the happiest man on earth; and with Jisung, my life is complete. This is way better than any dreams I ever have. Doojoon makes me happy.”

 

 

“Thank you.” Doori hugged Yoseob suddenly, “Thank you for making Doojoon happy.” She kissed him on the cheek sincerely. None of them realized that Doojoon was just behind the wall, accidentally listening to everything when he was wetting the cloth in the bathroom to wipe Jisung’s mouth and hands. His heart swelled with pride, with love, with happiness. The love and affection he had for Yoseob and Jisung was overwhelming, he would give anything up for them, do anything for them.

 

 

The doorbell rang and Yoseob rushed to open the door. A smile bloomed on his face when Junhyung, Hyunseung, Kikwang and Dongwoon waited at the other side of the door, with too many bags around them.

 

 

“You guys are here!” Yoseob said breathless, too happy for words.

 

 

“Hey, Bestie!” Junhyung hugged Yoseob before the others started hugging the beaming man too. They made their way inside and started the setting for the events. Yoseob could never thank Junhyung enough, he had too many connections and he could do anything, even the impossible for Yoseob; and he had taken care of most of the things for the events.

 

 

All of them greeted Doori Noona who waved back with a smile on her face. Dongwoon went to her for a bite of her spring rolls; she always loved hanging out with the guys. Junhyung started putting up the backdrop which was printed with a picture of Jisung and his parents and their families and friends. Hyunseung was busy setting up the table with cakes, sweets, fruits, drinks, food; he even added some of his own personal touch – ribbons, balloons, vehicles ornaments, pretty laces and dainty table cloth, colorful alphabet blocks, Thomas and Friends lanterns, framed pictures, and other little details. Kikwang and Dongwoon were busy with the gift bags and buffet tables.

 

 

Everything was coming together nicely and quickly with the help of everyone, and by the time all the food was ready – the new Japchae was great, the seaweed soup was done – the setting was completed too. The spacious living room and dining room of the apartment had been transformed into a party space with chairs at the side, buffet tables lining the walls, a single table with four-tiered Thomas and Friends cake and decorations at the centre of the apartment, gift bags clustered at the corner of the spacious room.

 

 

\O/ \O/ \O/ \O/ \O/

 

 

Not long after Jisung was up and playing with five Ahjussis (excluding Yoseob) – they were just grown children, really – the doorbell rang and the beautiful Hanbok was finally here! Yoseob squealed and Jisung was confused when he was swept away to the bedroom by his Papa with the gold and red Hanbok. They were all ready and dressed when their close families and friends started coming in for the afternoon party. Jisung was cuddled and fussed over, he was the star of the celebration with his parents watching him proudly from the side.

 

 

It was a joyous and merry occasion, but a Doljanchi was not complete without a Doljabi, an event which was believed to foretell the child’s future by picking out an item. A thick red and yellow rubber mat was laid out and items were placed on it for Jisung to pick out. Junhyung had also helped to prepare the items for Doljanchi – there was a complete set of brushes and paint (artist, painter), a pair of Nike Air Jordan infant shoes (athletes), an Iphone 5 (businessman), Beats headphones (musician, DJ), a laptop (writer), money (wealthy), blue-colored yearn (long life).

 

 

Nearest to Jisung were two very familiar objects, a colorful ball on the right, Doojoon hoping for his son to be a soccer player and Yoseob’s first archaic camera on the left. After all the items were laid out properly, a laughing Jisung was carried back to the mat and left alone to pick up his favorite item that would foretell his future.

 

 

After a few minutes, Doojoon was whispering from the side, encouraging Jisung to take the ball. But he quickly quiet down when Yoseob narrowed his eyes at the older man. Jisung was clapping happily, walking in between the objects, sometimes squatting to observe a little closer but he did not pick anything out. Instead, he hobbled out of the mat and went into the study room.

 

 

Everyone in the living room was quiet, too stunned to realize that a two-year-old did not pick anything from the Doljabi items. A few seconds later, Jisung emerged from the study room, bringing a picture encyclopedia in his hands. He ran to Yoseob and shoved it to his father, “Papa! Papa! This… uuhhh… Papa!!” Yoseob’s mouth opened and closed without any sound coming out before he finally laughed and scooped his son up into his arms. Doojoon started laughing with him and immediately the whole room started laughing at Jisung’s antics.

 

 

“Well, so what would Jisung be, Doojoonah?” Yoseob asked lovingly to his partner for life.

 

 

Doojoon shrugged, “Anything is fine with me.” Jisung was still holding the picture encyclopedia tightly and shoving it to Doojoon, asking his father to read for him, “Appa!! Appa!! Read.. beughmahmahahhh…”

 

 

No one could understand Jisung but it was adorable nonetheless. Yoseob and Doojoon’s parents both told them that Jisung would be a scientist later on, a genius and a learned man who respected the power of knowledge.

 

 

Yoseob and Doojoon smiled, because no matter what Jisung would be when he grew up, he would always be their son.