Goodbye

Twenty Years

 

25 years old, Goodbye.

 

 

 

So Doojoon ran. He ran as fast as he could.

 

It was a chilly sunny morning at Incheon Airport as bright lights flooded into the largest international airport in Seoul, illuminating every single object and individual under the majestic steel roof. Doojoon sprinted towards the flight information panel, bumping into a few people along the way (he apologized, of course, and he felt extremely bad when he bumped into a pregnant lady so he decided to carry her luggage until they were all safely checked in), stopping in his tracks a few times when some kids suddenly wheezed past him (he almost, almost, knocked over this little cutie pie with pink chubby cheeks and two ponytails on each side of her head), before he finally reached the intended panel.

 

DEPARTURES

10:20                     PARIS                    KE0901                  LAST CALL

 

Doojoon tugged slightly at the sleeve of his crumpled white dress shirt to glance at the time.

 

 

10:10 am

 

There was still enough time for him. Again, he dialed Yoseob’s number. He lost count on how many times he had been calling Yoseob’s number only to be answered by a woman’s stoic and detached voice.

 

He tried calling again. And a few times more. And a number of times more, so many times that – 

 

It was still the woman’s voice.

 

 

10:18 am

 

Doojoon still ran, he never stopped searching for Yoseob. He was sure that Yoseob would not leave without him, absolutely certain that Yoseob would not leave him.

 

So he ran to the bookstore, one of Yoseob’s favorite places on earth, convinced to find a certain blonde head sitting in the corner with his huge- luggage, reading John Shaw’s Nature Photography Guide or Gallen Rowell’s Mountain Light – or some other photography books that Doojoon could not remember right now – waiting for Doojoon to pick him up.

 

He walked through the huge bookstore, observing every corner and lane yet Yoseob was nowhere to be found.

 

 

10:53 am

 

Doojoon changed his destination. Now, he arrived at one of Yoseob’s favorite coffee shops and he was sure Yoseob would be here. Yoseob never had his flight trip on an empty stomach and Doojoon could well imagine the younger man sipping his hot chocolate macchiato while browsing on his laptop, waiting for Doojoon to pick him up.

 

He searched through the small coffee shop yet Yoseob was nowhere to be found.

 

 

11:15 am

 

So Doojoon searched at a few other places too. Gift stores, electronic stores, beverages stores yet Yoseob was nowhere to be found.

 

 

12:30 pm

 

Doojoon even searched for Yoseob in some of the toilets where Yoseob might need to pee so badly and could not hold his bladder anymore, and that was why Doojoon kept missing him.

 

Yet Yoseob was nowhere to be found.

 

 

1:14 pm

 

Doojoon sat on one of the available benches, head down looking on the floor, trying to clear up his anxious mind and review his options. There were a few other places that he had not checked, and those stores over at the other side of the –

 

There was a pair of grey high top sneakers and a black huge luggage appearing from Doojoon’s sight on the floor, “Excuse me.”

 

Doojoon raised his head slowly, his heart beating at least twenty times faster. He already had his words ready for Yoseob. His apologies, his confession, his explanation, his everything.  He raised his head and finally met eyes with the man in front of him.

 

The smile disappeared from Doojoon’s face as a young man he did not recognized stood in front of him.

 

“You dropped this when you ran from the toilet.” The young man handed Doojoon his handkerchief as the latter smiled politely in gratitude, “Thank you very much,” he nodded slightly, “It was really nice of you.” The young man bowed back before excusing himself.

 

He was not Yoseob.

 

 

1:25 pm

 

Doojoon was so sure that he would find Yoseob, was absolutely certain that Yoseob would be waiting for him to pick the younger man up. But now, he was not too convinced anymore.

 

He was hoping now. He had nothing but hope.

 

Hoping that Yoseob knew how much he loved the younger man amidst all the denials. Hoping that Yoseob would wait for him just a little bit more. Hoping that he could give Yoseob the explanation the younger man deserved.

 

Hoping that Yoseob did not just leave him.

 

 

1:07 pm

 

It was the first phone call Doojoon picked up since the morning. It was from Junhyung.

 

“Hey, man.”

 

Doojoon answered with a soft hum.

 

Junhyung knew, he knew what happened, he always knew. And right now, he quickly caught on with the situation, “Yah, you ready to come back?”

 

Doojoon sighed, “I don’t know. I think he left, Junhyung-ah,” there was a slight pause, “.....I think he left me.”

 

Junhyung cleared his throat at the end of the phone conversation, “I just wanna let you know that the boys have got everything under control; the guests, the media, the party, the catering, the hotel. All you need to take care of is the family.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll be back to explain things properly to everyone, especially to Gayoon.” Doojoon continued, “Thanks, man. Send my gratitude to the boys.”

 

Doojoon could hear a slight smile from Junhyung, “Let me know when you’ve arrived back.”

 

The phone call ended with a slight hum.

 

1:45 pm

 

So Doojoon ran. He ran as fast as he could.

 

But not fast enough to catch Yoseob on time.

 

 

 

From: Yang Tiny

Time: 9.40 am

Goodbye, Doojoonie. Be happy.

 

- end of message -