CHAPTER 9 : “That my thank for you”

WE COULD BE IN LOVE

Seungkwan ran to the university clinic when he heard that someone gets hurt at Mr. Gordon’s class. The projector together with the metal that holds it broke and fall from the ceiling. It hit someone, and that one is Mr. Gordon’s assistant, Chwe Hansol Vernon.

From the Faculty of Art, it needs 20 minutes walking to the University clinic, and Seungkwan reaches it less than 10 minutes. Run as fast as he can when he read the tweet from his friends about the accident. He just ran without thinking and when reaches the clinic and see Vernon sitting on the bed with a bandage on his arms. He hesitates, should he come to him or not. The man looks well, and its enough for Seungkwan. but, Before he leaves, Vernon caught him.

“Seungkwan-ah.” He turns around with the call. But keep standing on his place. “Are you really going to only stand there? Doesn’t want to help me?” he said and Seungkwan sigh, he walking to him. He is right, it was rude to leave him alone when he can see none Vernon’s friends around.

“Are you okay?” he asked Vernon, with a worried show on his voice.

Doctor faces Seungkwan. “He is fine, just some scratch on his head, then some stitches on his right hand, there is no bone structure, but because of the hard hit and swelling I need to band it, just in case.” the doctor said. “He’ll be fine in a week, for that time, please don’t let him use his right hand,” he said then leave them.

Seungkwan looks at Vernon and sigh, he approaches the man and sitting beside him. “I am fine, don’t worry,” he said, but his face shows that he is in pain.

“Am I said that I am worried?” Seungkwan keeps being the push on that kind of situation make Vernon chuckles.

“It clearly shows on your face,” Vernon said. “Also on your voice. Its kinda nice to me know someone worried about me, especially that person it’s you.” Seungkwan frowned, again, Vernon knows how to melt his heart with his words.

“What will you do then? You are living alone, how could you do all alone with that hand?” Seungkwan asked he ignore the sweet words from the younger man.

“It's okay, as long as you are here with me. All be ok.” Seungkwan can believe him, how could on that situation that kind of words come from his mouth.

“Where are you going?” Seungkwan asks when Vernon get down from the bed.

“Home, Mr. Gordon already did the administration, I need to go home and rest.” He said. “My Body still hurt.” He complains and keeps walking, leaving the clinic.

Seungkwan walking beside him and see the man cringing in pain. Seungkwan grabs Vernon’s arms and holds it. Make Vernon look at him. “What? I just want to help, you are in pain.” Seungkwan said, and Vernon smile, accept the help.

They take a taxi, Seungkwan insists it because he can’t watch Vernon in pain, and standing on the bus, it must be so hard for him. Even Vernon said that it will waste the money and he can use the bus but Seungkwan already pull him to enter the taxi and Vernon jus sigh, he just wants to get home soon. Have no energy to fight back.

On the way home, Vernon just lay and waiting patiently. Seungkwan knows that he must feel pain all over his body, People on the class said that he gets struck, Seungkwan feel thankful that the man didn’t get hurt badly.

“Huh? This is not the way to my home.” Vernon said and Seungkwan noded.

“I will not let you at home alone with that condition,” he said and the taxi stop on Seungkwan's home. Vernon just tags him along.“Omma, I am home.” Seungkwan said and let Vernon enter his house first. Seungkwan’s mom sees Vernon and gasp.

“Ya! What happen?” she asked.

“Its okay Mom, just a little accident,” he said. Seungkwan's Mom frowned and get him, take him to sit on the sofa.

“Sitting here. I will make you a hot tea,” she said. “Seungkwan-ah, what happens with him?” she asked her Son.

“On the Seminar, the projector falls down, and I don’t know what he thinks, instead of avoiding it. He takes the projector, he falls down, the screen and the poll hit his head, and the old heavy projector together with the iron hit his hand. The doctor said he was fine, but he didn’t allow to use his right hand for a week.” Seungkwan explains, and every time he gives the detail his mom gasp.

She gave a tea to Vernon and give him a blanket. Told him to rest there. But the man just sitting properly and said to her that he was fine. Make the middle woman sigh and get angry. “Ya! You will live here until u can use your hand, I didn’t accept no on that kind of condition, you just need to obey me, or your other hand will get the same gips.” she threatening him make Vernon gulped.

“Ye-yes Mom,” he said, with his eye corner he could see Seungkwan giggling.

“Rest on Seungkwan’s room. I will prepare dinner,” she said. Seungkwan come to him, told him to move and Vernon follow him on his room.

Vernon sitting on his bed. Since they know each other, this is the first time Vernon enter his room. All these time they only in the dining room or living room. Seungkwan didn’t allow him to enter his room not even once.

“This is awkward.” Vernon mumble but Seungkwan seems heard it.

“What? My room?” he asked.

And Vernon nodded. “This is the first time I enter your room. Usually, you hide your room like a girl, and it makes me sometimes wonder what it looks like,” he said.

Seungkwan opens his wardrobe and takes some pajamas. He gives it to Vernon. “Do I need to undress and dress you up?” he looks at Vernon and he can see the man face become red.

“I could do it by myself,” he said.

“Fine then, take your time, take the bed, I will take the floor. Just rest after the change.” Seungkwan said and leave the room, he felt his face red too and relieved that Vernon rejects his offer if he said yes, he didn’t know what will happen.

Vernon changes his clothes, take some time to do it. After that, he lies down on Seungkwan bed. He could smell Seungkwan’s scent. He looks around. It was a clean room, all the thing organize so well, now he knows why Seungkwan always gasp when he put something, not in its place, it counts as a mess, and it makes Seungkwan uncomfortable.

He tried to sleep but he can’t, something bothered him, something made him feel awkward. Then he heard someone enter the room.

“Are you sleep?” it was Seungkwan, he looks at him and sitting up. Seungkwan smile and approach him with a tray. “Eat it first, then sleep,” he said.

“I could join the dinner, why to bother to bring it here?” he said.

“Just eat if you don’t want my Mom to kill us,” he said and then Vernon take the spoon, Seungkwan’s mom prepared porridge for him. “I will change my cloth,” Seungkwan said.

--

Seungkwan lie-down, it was a long day for him and will be a long night for him too.

“Did you sleep?” Vernon asked.

“Not yet,” he said. Seungkwan sees his back, he slowly moves and faces Seungkwan.

“It's awkward,” Vernon said again, and Seungkwan chuckles. “You are clean and organize person, I could see it from your room. And you are a lovely person too.” Vernon said.

Seungkwan chuckles again. “I don’t know how to responds on that words,” he said. “Then I am not a girl that hide their room, I just don’t like people judge me by my own room, like you before,” he said.

“I am sorry,” he said.

“Take a rest, you need to recover your body,” he said.

“How could I take a rest when I think that for a week I will be in the same room with you every night. Don’t you on the same page as me?” Vernon asked.

“No, I told you before that I will build a higher wall so no one from us will make a door, window or even climb it. We never are on the same page.” Seungkwan said, and he turns his body, shows his back to Vernon.

Vernon watches that back, there is no move from him. Vernon knows that his body feels pain, but after Seungkwan word before, he feels the pain is getting more hurt, his feeling, his body all of it touch the pain.

Seungkwan after a turnaround, he gritted his teeth, tried to not move because he knows Vernon stare at him. He does feel awkward and feels strange with Vernon at his room now and next 7 days. He does feel what Vernon said before, but he keeps it from himself. He knows that with what Vernon do these past weeks make him waver, but he decides it, he will not start what just make him getting hurt.

--

3rd Night.

“I will help you.” Seungkwan approach Vernon and help him undress his shirt. He sighs when he see him try so hard to change his clothes. “You could tell me if you have a hard time. I will help you,” he said.

Vernon stared at Seungkwan when he did change his clothes. “I can’t,” he said make Seungkwan frowned.

“What?”

“You told me to told you if I had a hard time.”

“Then?”

Vernon down his head. “I can’t,” he said.

“What?” Seungkwan asked because he can’t hear it. Clearly, Vernon said it so softly.

Vernon up his head and stare at Seungkwan. “I can’t because you are my hard time,” he said.

Seungkwan stares back at him. “Sleep, it is getting late,” he said the turn his body prepare his bed.

Vernon sigh and tug himself under the blanket.

--

5th Night.

Vernon and Seungkwan getting comfortable with their night together. Vernon used how noisy every morning is. He used how they take care of him every day, and on the night he has a friend to talk with. It has been a long time since he feels that way. He was living alone for more than 2 years.

“Seungkwan-ah, sleep?” he asked.

Seungkwan that stare blankly at the ceiling just humming answers his question.

“Thank you,” Vernon said.

“What for?” Seungkwan asked.

“All. For taking care of me and all,” Vernon said. “You know, it been a long time since I become part of the family. Since kicked out from high school I decide to live alone and do what I want to do, then forget how its feel being in a family,” he said. “And because of you, I feel it again,” he said.

Seungkwan looks at him, he could see that man with a strong jawline has a sad face but relieved face too at the same time.

“Can I ask you something? It's a bit personal.” Vernon turns his head and looks at Seungkwan, their eyes meet. Sungkwan nodded. “Why I never saw your Dad? The picture too,” he asked, and Seungkwan chuckles.

“No one at this house wants to see his face,” he said.

“Can I asked why?” Vernon asked.

“It's okay.” he takes a breath. “2nd year of my high school, my Mom caught him cheating, but before that, my second sister and I know it. And he used to hit my Mom. Not long after that, they decide to divorce, the three of us move from My Dad house. While my oldest sister stays with him.”

“You have 2 Noona?” Vernon asked, never heard about it before. Seungkwan nodded.

“For my Oldest Noona, my Dad is her hero, he was perfect and never believe what we said about him. So we separated. He stays with my Dad while my second sister and I move out. My second sister got accepted at Seoul University, so she moves here first then My Mom and me after I got accepted at Kyuha.” he said.

“Did you hate him?” Vernon asked.

“I can’t answer that, but, maybe  I hate you more,” Seungkwan said.

“Cih.”Vernon chuckles. “I don’t know how to reply that, why are you always can make me speechless, ugh I hate myself,” he grunted.

“Hahahaha, just sleep you fool, we need to awake early,” he said then they tug themselves on the blanket.

--

Last day and last night.

After Vernon hand being on gips for 5 days, then being a bandage for 2 days, finally Doctor let his hand free from any wrap. He tried to move it freely and the doctor smile seeing it.

“Its healed. You could use it as usual.” the doctor said. “You take care of him so good, thank you for the hard work.” The doctor said to Seungkwan.

“Eiii, it is just his family and myself, he just nagging at me, don’t praise him,” Vernon said.

“Well, it's good then, he so cares to you.” the doctor looks at Seungkwan.

“I am glad if what you said it's true,” Vernon said and Seungkwan just chuckles.

Then they leave the hospital, they walking down to the street, going to the Halte bus. Vernon turns to Seungkwan. “Want some ice cream?” he asked before he could answer it, Vernon takes Seungkwan hand and enter the convenience store and take some ice cream. Paid it and give it to Seungkwan.

They walking while eating ice cream. “Thank You for taking care of me,” Vernon said.

“So, just ice cream?” Seungkwan teases him.

“For now yes,” Vernon said, smile at him, Seungkwan stare at his smile. The smile that never failed to make his heart beat faster and his face red.
“No, ice cream is enough.” Seungkwan looking away then walking faster.

Vernon frowned with the sudden change attitude, he follows him. “Hey, what happens?” he asked and Seungkwan just walking away. He suddenly being quite until they reach Seungkwan’s home.

Seungkwan enters the home and walking to his room, he opens Vernon’s suitcase then clean up Vernon thing, make the man frowned and confused.

“Did you want me to leave?” he asked. Seungkwan sigh and stare at him.

“I am sorry, but you are healed so you could do all by your own,” Seungkwan said.

Vernon pouted, he doesn’t like the fact that he needs to leave. So he grabs Seungkwan’s hand, makes him turn to look at him.

“I will go, but not now, tomorrow after breakfast with your family, let me enjoy the last night being on this family and enjoy the breakfast too,” he said, Seungkwan quite and think. “Please?” Vernon beg. Then Seungkwan nodded softly. “Thank you.”

--

Vernon and Seungkwan staring blankly on the ceiling. They are so immersed with their own though, sometimes one of them looking or staring at the man beside them but amazingly their eyes was not meet or getting caught by others.

After they bored with their own though and realize that the ceiling didn’t have an ornament to watch much longer, Vernon and Seungkwan fall asleep. Until one of them move, he makes sure that the other man already falls deeper sleep. He tried to get closer as he can to the other, tug himself on the other blanket and hold the other man hand.

“I will not regret anything on the morning I am awake, because this is the last night.” the man said to himself, he buried his face to the man back, fall asleep there.

--

Seungkwan opens his eyes and sees Vernon face just an inch away. The first thing he thinks is ‘he is handsome’ then the second one is ‘Deja Vu' he knows this situation before then the last one make him jump in shock ‘why he sleep there?’ on the floor, in the place Seungkwan usually sleep since Vernon move temporary to his home.

He up and frowned, staring at Vernon. It is too early for him to think clearly what had happened. So he just sits there.

Vernon stir, he opens his eyes and sees Seungkwan stare at him with a frown on his brow. Vernon smile then grabs Seungkwan hand, make him lay again beside him.

“What are you doing?” Seungkwan asked. “And how could you sleep here?” he asked again.

Vernon just smiles, he moves then close the gap between them. The next thing happens is away far from Seungkwan ever imagine it. Vernon pecks his cheek just a quick peck but could make Seungkwan face so red.

“That my thank for you,” Vernon said.

Seungkwan pushes him then he standing up, leave the room, hide his red face.