CHAPTER 4 : “Are you okay?”

WE COULD BE IN LOVE

“Why are we here again?” Vernon stop walking and look at Seungkwan.

 

“Looking for my sister birthday gift.” he said and Vernon sigh.

 

“Then what was that?” Vernon point to shopping bags that Seungkwan hold.

 

“Nothing.” Seungkwan said and Vernon rolled his eyes.

 

“Its clearly something.” Vernon grumble

 

Seungkwan and Vernon in the middle of Shopping street, they look around, enter every clothes store that they think looks good. And they has one mission for this shopping, get Seungkwan’s sister, Sojung, birthday present.

 

A few days ago, Seungkwan accidently mention that his sister birthday will coming soon, and Vernon volunteer himself to accompany Seungkwan looking for a gift, and he will get one too for her. He has a debt at Sojung, because of her, he get some part time job. So they decide to go on Saturday afternoon.

 

Then, now, the two man wear (accidently) same grey jersey and same dark blue jeans. Walking for hours and find nothing for Sojung. but, Seungkwan already hold 3 shopping bags. He is grinning look at Vernon that protest because he keep buy stuff for his own when they need to buy a gift.

 

“Ya! we need some gift for Noona, why are you keep buying your stuff?” Vernon grunted

 

Seungkwan stop walking and see that the man upset and tired. “Okay, i’m sorry. lets go, we will buy her gift now.” Seungkwan said, Vernon didn’t have any energy left so he just follow him. And not like before which Seungkwan look around and said ‘let's take a look.’ this time he know where he want to go.

 

Vernon look at the shop they entered and he remember he visit that one before. Seungkwan walking to take a pink scarf and give it to Vernon, he just hold it without asking. Seungkwan going to the accessories section, ask the shopkeeper to wrap him an earring and a pretty ring he like. After that he paid it.

 

Vernon frown and litte bit pouting, he keep looking on that Ring and earring before, now that man bought it. He has no other idea what should he get for Seungkwan’s sister.

 

“All Done, lets go buy an ice cream.” he said and he drag vernon to the ice cream shop. “What do you want?” he asked and Vernon answer chocolate.

 

“So, you already decide what you want to buy for her?” Vernon asked when they finally can sitting and talking

 

“Yes i am, i don’t really like going around without planning, so yes, i am looking for it first, decide it then look around maybe i could get something similar cheaper or better, after that i will buy it. Its my habit.” Seungkwan explain and another awe for Vernon, this man is no joke, how could he can make Vernon respect him every time they meet.

 

“Why were you bought so much? And after this ice cream i need to buy a gift for your noona.” Vernon said, half complaint when see Seungkwan’s shopping bag.

 

“Aaah. about that.” Seungkwan open his bag and looking for something. He take out the pink scarf. “I give her the pink scarf because she want it. And the earing.” he take out the earring and give it to Vernon. “Its my Noona’s gift, from you.” Vernon widened his eyes. “And this ring for my Mom.” he said again.

 

“Why were you bought this earing? I could choose and bought by myself.” Vernon said, Seungkwan smile while enjoy the ice cream.

 

“I didn’t bought it, you bought it, you need to pay me back for it. You said that it’s pretty and keep look at it, beside it was 50% off when i bought this Ring. so its match with you budget.” he explain and Vernon look at Seungkwan with a sweet eyes due to Seungkwan’s precise.

 

“Wow, i can’t said anything, thank you.” he said, but looks like thank you it's not enough for Vernon to proof his sincerity, so he come to Seungkwan and hug him, just a quick one, pat his back twice and lose it.

 

Seungkwan widened his eyes with the sudden hug, he was not ready at all, his heart beat faster than usual. He feel his face heat up. Vernon see Seungkwan’s red face.

 

“Why are you so red?” Vernon asked, it was not rhetorical question, its real one.

 

“Nope, i am okay, maybe i just tired, lets go home.” he said. They walking home after all the Shopping. They both feel tired but yet happy. They fooling around all the way home, being a happy kids that people could see.

 

“See you.” Vernon said when Seungkwan reach his building apartment and Seungkwan nodded.

 

“Hey,Chwe Hansol Vernon, before you go, this is for you.” Seungkwan give Vernon paper bag. He look inside back and there is a hat inside. “Count it as a gift from student to their teacher.” he said and smile to him. “See you.” he walking fast to the building so the other man didn't have time to refused it.

 

Seungkwan enter his house with a smiley face. He heard his phone ringing for a text, he open it, it's from Vernon.

 

“I know i can’t refused it, so this time i will accept your gift, thank you. Will treat you a meal next time. I have fun today, don’t forget my homework, there will be a test on next meeting.”

 

The text make seungkwan smile become wider, Vernon have fun and he’s too. He forgot about the test.

 

“Did you go to shopping?” his sister asked and he nodded. “Did you bought me something?” she asked again.

 

“Yup, i got your birthday gift, save it for later.” he said with a smile and energetic tone.

 

“Ah, Kwan-ah, your friends from high school come by.” his Mom said and Seungkwan froze and his expression change from happy and smiley face become tense.

 

“Who-who it was?” he asked. He stare at his Noona, and his Noona understand.

 

“Ah, i forgot, who was that again? Its Chan something.” her mom said and Seungkwan face being so more tense.

 

“Lee Chan?” he asked and his mom nodded. “Did he told you what he want?” he asked

 

His mom shook his head. “Nothing, he just left when he knew you are not home.” she said and Seungkwan just standing there tried to keep calm. “Are you okay? You look pale.” she asked.

 

“No, he was not Mom, its from high school.” His Noona said and Seungkwan can feel that her Mom understand what make Seungkwan pale without looking at her.

 

“Seungkwan-ah, is that him that make you hospitalized?” His Mom asked, his Mom know his history, that he sick mentally and physically, but she never know who make him like that. Seungkwan choose to keep silent with the name and other detail, and His mom never mention it or asking, because it was what the Doctor think best for Seungkwan.

 

Now, when all being settle and quite, all are fine, something bothering his son. They all go through hell before, and they don’t want it to happen again, especially for Seungkwan.

 

“Its okay if you don’t want talk about it, just make sure you tell us if you feel uncomfortable, we will protect you.” His Mom said and she can see Seungkwan nodded.

 

“I am on my Room, if you need me.” Seungkwan said and leave them. leave the two woman with a worried face.

 

“Sojung, Is he fine?” Mom asked her daughter, after Seungkwan closed his bedroom door.

 

“I hope so Mom, he stable right now, and i think he is getting stronger.” she said and she look at her Mom. “are you okay?” Sojung look at her Mom. “Well, it was hell for Seungkwan, his high school is not something that he love, but it was hell for you too.”

 

The older woman hug her daughter. “I am fine, i am strong, i have the best Daughter and Son.” she said.

 

“Did you miss Dad and Unnie?” Sojung asking and her Mom just smile.

 

“They are the one that will miss us.” she said and Sojung tighter her hug.

 

--

 

Vernon walking home after his part time job at coffee shop ended, and in the middle on road he see a figure that he know. He walking closer to make sure that it was him, Seungkwan. And yes it was him, Vernon almost call his name but then stop, when he see him with someone. he with a man, they standing in road side and under the light so Vernon can see them clearly, Vernon can see that the man with Seungkwan are younger than them. Judging from the face and the clothes he wear.

 

Vernon feel something troubling him. Vernon keep obverse Seungkwan expression, and so surprised when he see the man face terrified. Seungkwan pinned on the wall and the younger hold his hand when Seungkwan tried to release it from him, Vernon could feel that Seungkwan is not comfortable. He walk fast to approach the man.

 

“Hey!” Vernon yelled, and he can see Seungkwan face expression change. When the younger man loosen up his grip, Seungkwan run to Vernon hide and hide on his back.

 

The younger man look surprised when he see Seungkwan hide on Vernon’s back. The man smirk, “ah, so, you have a boyfriend now.” he said and Vernon frowned. “Sorry i don’t have time to explain.” he said, he walk passing Vernon then stop, looking at Seungkwan direction that keep hiding. “See you later.” he said and walk away, Vernon can feel Seungkwan grip on his shirt tighter.

 

“Are you okay?” Vernon look at Seungkwan. Seungkwan keep hold his shirt but this time his face more relax than before. Seungkwan nodded and loose the grip. “I will walk you home.” he said and Seungkwan just follow him. Somehow Seungkwan feel relieve that Vernon didn’t ask anything.

 

On the otherside, Vernon that walking beside Seungkwan feeling dilemma, should he ask or not, he sure curious but he don’t want to push him about it. He keep walking and stare at the man beside him. Then he walking faster and stop Seungkwa from walking. “Could you explain what happened before?” he finally decide to ask Seungkwan about it.

 

Seungkwan know that he can’t keep quiet about it. He take a deep breath. “He is My hoobae at high school, Lee chan, we are not in a bad relationship, but right now, i am not ready to meet, contact, or talking with him, we have some history that i don’t want to remember. I am so surprised and terrified when i see him before. I …” Seungkwan stop talking when Vernon suddenly take his hands and hold it, very gentle and warm.

 

“I am Sorry, its okay, you don’t need to explain.” he said. While tighter the grip on Seungkwan's hands. the warm of Vernon's hands flowing to his heart. Seungkwan honestly didn’t stop explain because of bad memory about Lee Chan, but because he startled with the sudden grip on his hands. Its Vernon hands, and he can’t just relax. “i will take you home.” Vernon said.

 

Seungkwan walking while looking at how Vernon hold his hands all the way. He secretly hope that his home far away so he can enjoy this moment more.

 

--

 

Vernon wrap up his part time job from the coffee shop, he walking on the alley, while stretching his body, today is very long and tired day for him. He really glad that all his assignment for tomorrow done so he can touch his bed and rest full tonight.

 

on a middle path, someone approach him and he know who it was, he is the man that grips Seungkwan’s hand days ago. Their eyes meet for a second then he keep walking past the man then the Man follow him.

 

Vernon let him be, he too tired to asking or talking to him, and beside he don’t know who he is, maybe he has the same way as him. Didn’t mean to follow him. That was he thought until the man open his mouth.

 

“Did you Seungkwan’s friends or boyfriend?” the Man asked, Vernon didn’t bother to turn around and just nodded. He could see that the man beside him so skinny, strong jawline, with glasses that really suit his face. Vernon can’t feel any dangerous vibes from him so he let him do whatever he want.

 

“Lee Chan right?” Vernon asked and the man called chan nodded. “What your relationship with Seungkwan?” Vernon asked and the man just sigh.

 

“You know my name thats mean you are close with Seungkwan. We are on the same highschool, he is my sunbae. For other detail. Well, you need to ask him about that.” he said make Vernon frowned. It's become mystery to him what kind of relationship they have exactly. Why Seungkwan have that face when he see this Man?

 

“Did you bullied him on high school?” he sure curious with what happen on Seungkwan's past, are all that he heard from Nayoung true, but he have courage to aske the man directly, and Maybe Chan could answer it.

 

Vernon waiting but Chan didn’t answer it, maybe it doesn’t make any sense, how could a hoobae bullied their sunbae? Vernon sigh and look at the man. “I was a drop out from high school, i get fight with some kids because they bullied me and then 1 of them is in coma for 3 days. i do really hope that Seungkwan didn't get through something like that because he could Kill you if he want.” he said then he take his phone.

 

“no i am not, but i might be one of the reason he get bullied.” he said, Vernon walking again, and the man keep following him, make him feel annoying.

 

“What do you want?” he has no choice but asking. he don't know what he want but keep following him.

 

“Is he fine? I mean Seungkwan. Is he has a friends?” he asked and Vernon frowned. The question he asked is not like someone that bullies him. He is more like a friend that did't meet so long time but didn't have courage to ask him directly.

 

“Well, i am one of his friends.” Vernon said. “Can i asked you 1 question?” the man nodded. “what happen with his past?” Vernon asked and then the man just keep silent.

 

“i am sorry, i can't answer that, but if he telling you all, and you want filled the blank, i could help.” he said and before Vernon asked more question he walk away. Vernon confused with the answer but keep walking. “hey listen, He was not a bad person, he just special and different, that was why other kids on my high school didn’t like him, but i like him, i like him so much until i could do anything for him.” he said. Vernon feeling something didn't right happen oh his body when Chan told him that he like Seungkwan, and said that he will do anything for him. it's a weird feeling and was not sure what kind of feeling, but he sure it was not really good one.

 

"if you said so, then the only thing you need to do right now is not show up in front of him. ever again." Vernon said, firm and Straightforward.

Vernon didn’t know why he said that, that was something he don’t need to say. Maybe because he know, they are close and become friends, he want to protect him. And also maybe because it was Seungkwan, the one that he know always bright suddenly become gloomy and terrified because of that man.

 

Seungkwan smile and brightness is something that all people need to treasure. Something that Vernon always miss when he have a hard time. He just want to protect that.