Leaving things behind

When they meet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She hated having to wake up early in the morning. She hated how she had to follow schedules. She wasn’t the type to act on anything planned not unless she feels like it. It’s not that she’s irresponsible, she was rather an independent persona. She had her own pace and anyone who forces her to change it was kept at a distance. Yet, here she was inside Juri’s car at 4 AM in the morning, clearly way too early for everything but she completely obeys the girl without complain. Miru would laugh at her for being so whipped.

“Mako, you can sleep if you want to. We’re still an hour away from the Airport anyways.” Juri said. Mako let out a yawn.

“It’s fine Captain J. I’ll keep you company while you drive.” Mako smiled despite having only 2 hours of sleep.

“I know you barely have any sleep, your racoon eyes are giving you out. You probably stayed up all night packing your stuff.” Juri nagged making Mako gasp out of the accuracy. They both laughed. Mako was happy that there’s a person who can read her perfectly.

“You should’ve let me help you pack.” Juri added. The older girl switched her gaze from the road to Mako who snuggled the stuffed toy she gave when they were young. She noticed how the racoon eyed girl was fighting sleep, constantly blinking. It was only a matter of time until the girl finally surrenders to get some shut-eye. When the stop light turned green she was startled by Mako’s sudden yell.

“AHHHHH!” Mako shouted while slapping her face really hard. Juri had to stop the car by the side walk.

“Oi! Stop shouting! What is it? Did you forget anything?” Juri asked.

“No! I was trying to stay awake.” Mako replied. Juri almost face palmed.

“Mako, go take a nap now. I can manage, we need the energy for later, for our last job.” Juri reasoned with her.

“Hmm? but-“ Mako tried to protest but she was met by Juri’s dead eyes commanding her to sleep.

“Fine, but play some music will you so that you won’t feel lonely.” Mako requested.

“Ey. I won’t be lonely, you’re here.” Juri carelessly said while laughing as she was flipping through her phone to look for a song.  Mako thought that Juri really says what’s on her mind when it was just them. At school she was a lot more careful, how she acted, the words she says, of course it wasn’t easy for the older girl to do that. Compared to before, the Juri now was a lot more tamed. Mako was glad that she’s one of the persons who Juri can be herself with.

“Oyasumi.” Juri said as she finally decided on a song. She played the song Mako sent her last week. Mako smiled to the thought of her listening to what she sends. Mako closed her eyes and drifted away to dream land. 

Juri drove carefully making sure that she doesn’t wake the sleeping girl at the passenger seat. With her eyes set on the road, she tries to forget the jitters she feels. She doesn’t try to make it obvious but the girl was more nervous than excited, she was about to go to a different country to study, bringing a lot of people who depend on her to a new school, being away from home, and proving herself capable of being an artist in a foreign land.

The two of them arrived in the airport after an hour. Before getting off the car, she sent a bunch of text messages. She gently tapped Mako to wake her up. Unfortunately, the girl was a heavy sleeper. Juri got a good look at Mako’s face. Nothing much changed in their friendship for the past 10 years except the girl she used to play games with is now her Vice President. The two of them have always supported each other, often partnering up for performances, helping each other with homework, and just being each other’s pillar since they entered this school. They haven’t changed at all, and now the girl she grew up with is going to Japan with her. Juri is really grateful she’s blessed with such a great best friend, her partner-in-crime.

“Ah Mako. What would I do with out you?” She whispered under her breath while her hair. Mako flinched at the sudden touch but it wasn’t enough to wake her yet. Realizing that they both didn’t have time before the flight, she just went and shook Mako’s body completely startling the girl.

“HEY!” Mako slapped Juri’s arm. “What did you do that for!” Juri was still laughing at the girl’s reaction.

“We’re already here, loser. You weren’t waking up so I did that. Come on, we should get our luggage checked-in.” Juri said while getting out of the car. She was unloading their luggage while Mako was wiping the sleep off her eyes.

“and Miru?” the sleepy girl asked.

“She’s with Bibian and Misaki. They’re waiting at Starbucks. Seems like they’re just waiting for us.” Juri replied.

“Hmmm you gonna leave your car here?” Mako asked.

“Yup. My parents are gonna pick it up later. They couldn’t see me off but it’s alright.” Juri smiled reassuring Mako.

The two rushed to get their luggage checked in. There they found an impatient Miru drinking her black coffee with the two younger officers having hot chocolate and a cinnamon bun for breakfast. Mako ran as fast as she could to greet Misaki and Bibian but Miru was faster. She got Mako’s ear and twisted it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter