Seen by Pretty Eyes

When they meet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was not new for this girl to have all eyes on her whether she’s on or off the stage. She had the presence to distract people when she passes by, a total head turner. She had an alluring aura that invites gazes. She had the charm to get people to like her despite giving only her bare minimum.

Everyone was on the edge of their seats when her group started to perform. It was their weekly evaluation, while she wasn’t even center of their performance, all eyes were on her. She didn’t mind the attention. She was used to it. She kinda felt bad for the center of the performance but she couldn’t help it when she was that good.

“Miru, I don’t know what to say about you but theres something in you that really explodes, especially when you perform. I’ve been noticing it from the past evaluations. But you never assumed or tried to take the lead, why is that?” Teacher May asked.

“Ah. I just enjoy my performance. If I were center, the pressure might be too much for me to handle and I might injure my team.” Miru answered politely.

“Hmm. Okay, Miru. But just to let you know, you are a total performer and I can see that you can do it.” The teacher added. Miru slightly scratched her head and gave her a smile but if she were being honest, she didn’t have the desire to be center. She just wanted to be on stage with the people she likes to be with.

The evaluations ended. Everyone was seated on the floor. The studio class room was filled with sweaty girls chugging on their water bottles. The teacher seemed to be satisfied with their performances.

“You girls did great. I’m actually quite surprised at how well our Japanese friends perform.” Teacher May commended the girls, earning cheers from the room.

“However, you all know that in this academy, one must bring balance with their talents and academic standing. I hope all of you are aware that in one week we will be having our preliminary examinations. Now if you fail this, you are not able to participate in this year’s Major event. I heard that it’s going to be a dance musical.” The room suddenly fell quiet upon hearing the news. After a few seconds, the dance class started whispering to one another.

Spotted in the corner was Sihyun, who looked rather uninterested in participating in the musical since she would have to help organize it, the unavoidable fate of being the student council president. She could still participate even with a minor role, but personally she’d just let other girls have it. Sihyun observed everyone’s reaction. Prior the announcement, everyone seemed elated and happy. But afterwards, majority of the girls looked glum. Sihyun frowned at the sight, she acknowledged that some of the girls really deserve a leading role in the musical play and having academics hinder them from shining was such a sad thought. Still, she believed that responsibilities are there to keep them disciplined.

“Now, girls don’t look so down. You still have one more week to ace your exams. You girls can do it!” Teacher May cheered them up. “So, class dismissed. Please stay Miss Kojima Mako and Shiroma Miru. And you too, Choi Yena.” The teacher requested.

Everyone got out of the room. Sihyun, however, stayed near the door.

 

“Mako, Miru. I’ve been watching you two perform and I can say that you girls can totally dance. However, your academic standing doesn’t translate the same. Tell me, is there a problem? Also, you Miss Yena, your constant bad grades have been an issue ever since, but your performance has been deteriorating, as if you aren’t getting any practicing done.” The teacher got the three lined up in a row, with their heads down.

“Miss May, we’re having a hard time adjusting to the load and school here in korea is harder than in japan.” Mako reasoned.

“You do know the consequences when you do not reach an average of 85% right? Your quizzes are barely passing. You guys need to really ace the exams to participate in the play and apparently you girls need to reach 90% on your preliminary exams to still be a part of the council.” Teacher May reminded them. Utter shock was written on the faces of Mako and Miru. How could they forget Juri’s deal with Head Mistress Gaeun.

Miru didn’t mind to not participate in the play, she wasn’t really interested. She knew Mako wouldn’t participate either.  However, the two seemed to be at a panicked state, especially Mako. The two of them had a common goal, it was to not leave Juri alone. The three had always been together.

“Ah .” Miru cursed in japanese. “Kaeun-sensei’s dumb conditions. How could we forget it?!” Miru whispered in Mako’s ear.

“Because we’re dumb.” Mako replied in japanese.

“And we’re screwed.” Miru let out a sigh.

“And we’re gonna worry Juri again.” Mako replied.

“Girls, it is disrespectful to speak like that in front of a teacher. Please do not whisper when I am in front of you, as for you Miss Yena, care to explain why you haven’t been practicing?” She asked.

“I’m sorry Miss May. I’ve been getting sick lately. Sorry.” Yena bowed. It was true though that she has been resting instead of practicing due to colds and fatigue. All she could do was apologize. She knew she lacked in academics, which was why she only MC-ed events and performed in minor showcases. Being in the major showcase required talent, brains, and balance. Yena was too busy to find balance. She had a lot of stuff on her plate to do that.

Behind the door, Sihyun could hear everything. She lets out a sigh. She remembered so vividly how Juri challenged Head Mistress Kaeun and she wanted Juri to succeed. Realizing how horrible the situation of Juri’s friends, of course she wanted to help them. But Sihyun believes that this is a something they should learn a lesson from, slacking in their academic duties is a huge no-no for the tall girl. A tall figure appears in front of the serious president, startling the girl.

“Yo. What are you doing here, eaves dropping?” Yireon asked, making Sihyun jump from where she was standing. Yireon peeped through the small window and saw the three girls with their head low.

“Shut it. I just happened to overhear their conversation.” She replied.

“And what was it about?” Yireon inquired.

“They won’t be able to perform and they can’t stay in the council if they kept their grades low.”  Sihyun averted her eyes from the inquisitive Yireon.

 

“And what are you going to do about it?” Yireon shifted her entire body to meet Sihyun’s eyes. She smiled a mischievous smile as if she was expecting something from Sihyun. She looked like a puppy trying to get her attention even if the president didn’t like it.

“You’re annoying. It’s their personal problem. I can’t intervene.” Sihyun took her bag and started walking. Yireon followed and matched her pace.

“Hmm. I don’t think Juri will like it if they flunked out of the council.” Yireon mentioned. Sihyun stopped in her tracks. A long pause happened between the two.

“Look, I don’t think I’m the right person to help them and besides, it just proves that they aren’t capable enough to balance everything, including the council.” Sihyun reasoned with Yireon. True enough, she does have a point. She wasn’t a fan of cramming everything the last minute when all of them had to go through exams as well.

“If you say so, pres. You’re as strict as ever huh..” and the two walked away from the school and back to the dormitory.

 

++

 

The girl with huge almond eyes stared at the nervous racoon who was hugging her knees with her one hand and her other hand was having her nails bitten off. Miru always noticed that Mako had a habit of biting her nails whenever she was anxious. Mako wasn’t the type who’d ramble on and on, but she wouldn’t act like her self until it was resolved. Miru too was anxious, the both of them were certain that Juri wouldn’t take this lightly.

“Mako.” Miru called.

“Kojimakooo.” She called again.

“MISS KOJIMA MAKO YOU BETTER GET YOUR UP OR ELSE WE’LL BOTH GET WHIPPED BY JURI!” Miru called her attention. Mako stared at the girl. The two shared a long eyecontact and both started to scream.

“We’re ed aren’t we?” Mako asked.

“Not just yet.” Miru took Mako’s hand and pulled it to the room next hers. Miru gave a knock. A girl with puppy eyes in pajamas opened the door, yawning.

“Oh. Miru, Mako, what’s up?” Gyuri asked.

“It’s only 8 pm, why are you dressed like that?” Miru asked.

“Well, I needed my nap.” Gyuri answered. “So what brings you here?”

“We heard you’re one of the smartest in our grade, help us.” Miru and Mako simultaneously clasped their hands together and bowed their heads.

“Don’t need to bow, but with what subject?” Gyuri asked.

“English.” Miru answered.

“Oh okay. I can teach you that.” Gyuri replied.

“Math.”

“Science.”

“History.”

“Health.” The two Japanese girls alternately replied.

The three juniors stared at each other blankly. Gyuri scratched her head and gulped a little, the tall girl let out a sigh and let the two desperate Japanese girls inside her room.

“It seems that you guys have a lot to work on.” Gyuri mentioned while wiping her spectacles.

“Yea. We’re sorry if we disturbed your nap. Where’s Noe?” Miru asked.

“Oh. It’s alright, I was expecting something anyway. She’s staying over someone else’s room

for tonight. So you guys, feel free to chill here.” Gyuri replied.

“We can’t chill. We have to study.” Mako returned to her fetal position which annoyed Miru.

“Don’t be so down, Mako. I’ll do my best to help you. Although, I’m not sure how the teachers at the dance department do the teaching there. But I’ll try my best!” Gyuri wore her glasses and began taking out her notes and books.

Thirty minutes later, a sudden knock sounded from the door. To their surprise, it was Yuri dragging Yena by the ear. The three watch the two best friends’ banter.

“I swear to God, Yena. I told you, you should have studied with me.” Yuri gritted through her teeth.

“No, you’re just as dumb as I am.” Yena replied.

“At least I’m qualified to perform! Plus I take my time to study.” Yuri pinched her ears harder. Gyuri would’ve normally laughed at the scene, but only managed to let out a soft chuckle and a cough that pulled the two bickering girls back to reality.

“Ehem. I assume you’re here for the same reason as they are?” Gyuri cocked her head and pointed inside. The two friends peeked and was not surprised to see the dumb duo inside.

“YES PLEASE.” The two girls gave a polite and low bow.

 

Gyuri had gotten all her review materials and had them all seated in the room. She was grateful that her roommate wasn’t around, else it would have been quite a mess.

The four were amazed at Gyuri's fluency in English. The thing about music students is they had a good sense in grasping foreign languages. While Yuri was capable of understanding and constructing messages, Gyuri was on a different level.It was almost 2 am when they finished.

“Gyul. Thank you for having us tonight, sensei.” The four of them bowed their heads low.

“It’s alright. I like it better when there are more people to study with.” Gyuri replied. “Well, good night.”

Yuri and Yena went back together since theirs were on the same side as Gyuri and Mako’s, leaving Miru alone to go back. Miru allowed Mako to enter her room first and bid her good night. The moment Mako’s bedroom door closes, she noticed that Gyuri was still standing in front of her door.

“Why aren’t you going inside?” Miru asked.

“Well, I’ve been meaning to ask..” Gyuri paused making Miru look at her expectantly.

“Ask what?” Miru looked at her direction. “Is it about Wonyoung? She’s alright, I guess?”

“No. Not her. I just wanna ask how have you been? You haven’t been cheerful lately, especially now.” Gyuri looked at her in the eye.

“I’m fine. I’m just a little tired. It’s getting late, thanks for today, Gyul.” Miru showed Gyuri her usual eyesmile. Ofcourse, Gyuri noticed the hints of sadness but decided to not pry further.

“Wait.” Gyuri called her attention and went back inside. She came out holding two packs of Banana Milk. “They say that whenever you’re down, you need to have a banana. It boosts your serotonin levels making you happier.” Gyuri laid down her fun fact.

“It’s banana milk though.” Miru looked at her confusingly.

“It’s the closest thing to banana.” Gyuri chuckled. She took the straw out and opened the two packs. “Here, drink this. Going to sleep sad might give you bad dreams. Lets go?”

“Where to?” Miru asked, while drinking the banana milk Gyuri gave her.

“To your room. I’ll walk you back.”  Gyuri offered. The two started to walk.

“This is why a lot of the juniors like you Gyuri. You’re too nice.” Miru pinched the taller girl’s arm.

“Hmmm? Just think of it as a reward for working hard today.” Gyuri gave her a smile.

 

The two walked in silence taking short sips from their banana milk. The hallways were dimly lit, so the two unconsciously walked closer to one another. It wasn’t a long walk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter