SIX

In Your Maze
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Being the youngest has its perks but that doesn’t mean there are no falls.

 

That was how Shuhua learnt. She found herself desperately trying to take the action she had never once tried taking. I mean, why would the baby of the group have to lift a finger? Everything gets done for you. You just have to receive and receive.

 

But how does one sit back and relax when your nerves are all jumpy and taking you on a one-way guilt trip?

 

“Oh crap, missed the bus…” Her eyes went glum after a glance at the large bus station clock.

 

It was already close to dinner time. Soyeon and Minnie does not know where she is but neither did Soojin. Not forgetting the fact that Soojin was the closest she’s ever had to an older sister, none of them would think anything was going wrong. She knew she would be on her own.

 

Throwing her backpack onto the seat beside her, she sank into the comfort of the bus station chair. Her mind playing through the happenings of the day. How she had asked for Miyeon and Soyeon then said that the older girl had gone home for a rest.

 

Home? What home? The dorm was home to her.

 

She knew she had somehow or rather gotten Miyeon annoyed the other day, but she didn’t think the situation would need ‘going home’ to. A sigh escaped her lips and she stared at her shoes, fidgeting them about. Solemn mood.

 

The loud sigh of a bus pulling up caught her attention. A sign that says the name of the location she had to go to. Quickly she grabbed her backpack and boarded the bus in a hurry, almost tripping on the steps as she showed her pass to the driver.

 

“Careful, young lady.”

 

“Thanks!” She gave a sheepish chuckle, finding herself a seat near to the back.

 

Onward bound…

 

 

***

 

 

The air from an old home town was always fresher.

 

Leaning against the railing, Miyeon sipped at the cuppa in her hands. This bridge had the best view in the village. She always loved this bridge, even as a kid. Lots of fond memories as she loved making visits to her grandparents. Just peace and quiet, something she found hard to come in the city. Part and parcel of being an idol.

 

She did feel a little guilty using Shuhua as an excuse to return home. Although she did feel put out by the younger’s teasing which never seemed to end.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where I can find this place?”

 

She glanced around instantly and lets out a sigh when she saw a girl wearing a straw hat, conversing with the store lady. Even the voices around her sounded just Shuhua… Was she missing the girl too much?

 

“Right by the corner? Would that be across the street?” She heard the girl say. “Thank you, Ahjumma. You’ve been a great help.”

 

Miyeon tossed her coffee cup into the bin and gave a startled jolt as the girl was now standing in front of her. The girl whom she thought sounded like… Wait… Has it not just been two days since she’d left their dorm in Seoul? How long did it take…?

 

“Shuhua?!”

 

“MIYEON UNNIE!!”

 

The older girl cringed at the volume, “Will you keep it down-” She shook her head and frowned with a wary look, “Wait, what are you doing here?” Her feet bringing her closer to the younger.

 

“I- I came to apologise!” Shuhua’s arms were around her petite frame in an instant.

 

She blinked and then got startled as the maknae began to tear up. “What’s going on? I don’t understand…”

 

“I made you angry, didn’t I?” Shuhua sniffed, shaking her head. “I’m sorry I’m so insensitive sometimes about your feelings. I just… I just didn’t think you would be-”

 

Miyeon promptly cut her off, “I’m not angry…” She repeated her words slowly and then smiled at the look on Shuhua’s face, “I’m sorry too for leaving without telling you.”

 

“I don’t understand…” Shuhua frowned and wiped at her eyes, still sniffing.

 

“Well…” Miyeon bit at her lip, “I don’t exactly know how to start but… Okay, well…” She heaved a tired sigh, “You were teasing me and all of a sudden I just felt hurt… I felt like I was a joke, unreliable and not worthy of…” Her gaze fell to her feet and her words faded off like a whisper.

 

“Unnie…” Shuhua half scoffed and half sighed, “If I had to choose somebody to rely on, I’d choose you in a heartbeat.”

 

“R-Really?” Miyeon’s eyes were wide open.

 

“I was so afraid that I was going to lose the only person who’d be mean to me.” The younger one reached for Miyeon’s cheek and pressed her palm against the softness.

 

Miyeon made a face, “Who says I’m mean to you?”

 

The younger girl added, “The only person who’d look at me like I mean the world to them.”

 

A sudden gush of heat rushed into Miyeon’s cheeks and she averted her gaze, “You… know?”

 

“I know…” Shuhua continued, eyes wary with her next words, “Because… You mean the world to me too.”

 

“What?”

 

Shuhua fought the urge to roll her eyes at the state of embarrassment she’d landed herself in, “Just please don’t ever think yo

Please log in to read the full chapter