Chapter 8: One should be chill

BDZ

Jeongyeon smiled as she reached the cafeteria. It was a long walk and the sun was so bright, she was tired. But the cold air that welcomed her as she opened the doors made all her fatigue go away. The cafeteria was noisy as usual but she didn't mind it. She didn't have the guts to shout at every human being that talks which literally means everyone. She hurriedly went to the counter, thankfully there wasn't a long line, and ordered her food. 

Jeongyeon went to her usual spot. She frowned when she saw someone was there already. Guess I need to find another table. She was worried actually, the cafeteria's full packed. Finding a free table is like finding a needle in a stack of hay. She didn't have a choice so she started her search.

Chaeyoung finally managed to convince Mina that she'll be fine on her own. 

"It's just goin' to the cr! No problemo!" She told Mina.

Chaeyoung laughed silently, she just met a worry wart unnie. She seemed to have forgotten that she was lost sometime ago. She, finally, exited the right door and was going back to their table when she saw an older guy walking aimlessly. Is he lost? Being the good kid she is, she decided to help.

"Are ya' lost hyung?" Chaeyoung asked.

Jeongyeon almost jumped when she heard someone. She looked to her right and saw…a kid? Did Jihyo miss sending this one home? She just called me hyung, didn't she?

"So?" Chaeyoung innocently asked not knowing the other party's thoughts.

"Ah…I'm looking for a table…" Jeongyeon answered. She wasn't shy because she was simply stating the truth.

"You can join us if ya' want!" Chaeyoung beamed. The more, the merrier. 

Jeongyeon noted on how the girl had this weird accent that pops out randomly. Jeongyeon agreed, she'd rather eat at a table full of strangers than to eat on the floor. She didn't consider going out since it's hot.

"Ma' name's Chaeyoung, what about you hyung?" Chaeyoung was glad to make friends.

"Jeongyeon." Jeongyeon stated. For some reason, the girl was too bright. Or maybe she's just too gloomy, Jeongyeon can't decided which is right.

Chaeyoung led her to their table, there Mina smiled as she saw Chaeyoung. Mina was debating on whether she'd go find Chaeyoung since wasn't back yet. Sana was grateful to Chaeyoung, now Mina wouldn't check each and every movement of hers. Mina's nagging simmered down, it hadn't even been an hour yet! Sana lightly laughed.

"I'm back! I met someone!" Chaeyoung skipped and sat beside Mina.

Jeongyeon didn't think that she was in an awkward position. She directly sat beside the girl who kept looking at her phone.

"His name's Jeongyeon and since he was looking for a table, I decided to invite him." Chaeyoung smiled like a kid who had done a good deed.

Mina smiled at the sight of this and patted Chaeyoung. The others were also blinded by the girl's innocence. Jeongyeon confirmed that all of them thought of her as a guy. She didn't feel like they'd meet again so she decided not to correct them.

"Right, thanks lil' bud." Jeongyeon could at least say thank you. She then ate her food.

"There you are!" A voiced boomed out of nowhere.
All of them turned to the person nearing their table, well except Nayeon who had her eyes glued to the screen. 

"I've been looking all over! Didn't think you'd finally meet them!" Jihyo teased Jeongyeon. 

She's been trying to make Jeongyeon meet her friends but for some reason the latter always had an excuse. What Jihyo didn't know was that Jeongyeon didn't purposely make those excuses, all of them were true. Jihyo just didn't know what timing is.

"And I see three new faces, this one's a large group." Jihyo mused. She sat beside Jeongyeon.

"Why don't we introduce ourselves, if you guys don't mind." Jihyo suggested. All of them agreed.

"I'm Hirai Momo, a third year transferee. I'm taking up archaeology." Momo started, finally she was done eating. Mina and Sana's ears perked when they heard this. Sana who was sitting across the table between Tzuyu and Nayeon smiled widely.

"Really?! Both Mina and me are also taking up archaeology." Sana laughed. 

"Eh?!" 

"We'll discuss that later, unto the next person please." Jihyo intervened, she knew how talkative Sana is.

"I'm Kim Dahyun and please don't let my surname bother you. I'm still a first year music major so I'm sorry in advance if I ever cause trouble." Dahyun said. She was sitting next to Momo.

"Wait, by Kim you mean…" Jihyo's eyes widened. She didn't think much of it when she heard it earlier. 

Dahyun simply laughed it off. Being a Kim brought her a lot of troubles, it was a burden for her actually.

"Ma' name's Son Chaeyoung. I have an accent since I came from somewhere far away. I'm tryin' my best tho. Ah, wait, where was I…right…I'm a first year taking visual arts!" Chaeyoung blurted it out in one breath, she wasn't even panting. 

"Shouldn't she be a rapper instead?" Everyone thought of the same thing.

Mina who sat next to Chaeyoung went next.

"I'm M--"
"She's Mina, she also takes up archaeology! Now it's my turn!" Sana intervened. She seemed to have forgotten that Tzuyu should be the next one.

"I'm Minatozaki Sana. Third year, also an archaeology student. Mina and I are both Japanese." Sana ended her introduction. 

Mina quietly stood up and went to Sana's side. Mina was smiling but it wasn't reaching her eyes. Seeing this made Sana tense up. First it was Nayeon, then Tzuyu and now it was Mina. And here she thought she valued her life.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mina icily spoke. Though she is soft-spoken and is very patient, she's been with Sana for how may years now.

"I…uh…" Sana trailed off. Mina gave Sana a pat on her shoulder and went back to her seat. That pat meant that Sana should stop talking and so Sana did as she was told.

Chaeyoung was stunned at the sight of this. Her image of Mina crumbled but rather than being scared, she liked Mina more. 

"Chou Tzuyu, first year, Mechanical Engineering." Tzuyu was also affected of Mina's sudden switch that she spoke like a robot. All her manners and etiquette vanished to thin air. 

"Don't worry, I only do that to Sana." Mina laughed it off. 

Upon hearing this Tzuyu relaxed but her seatmate looked at Mina as a sign of protest. Yet when she met Mina's icy glare she backed off. Sana pouted and kept her attention away from her icy friend. She decided not to have a "talk" with Mina later. She valued her life after all.

Nayeon was next but she was busy glaring at her phone. So Jeongyeon was next in line.

"I'm Yoo Jeongyeon, a fourth year taking up Computer Science. Also, just a clarification since I think we'll inevitably meet every now and then, I'm a girl." Jeongyeon said.

Everyone looked at her dumbly.

"Eh?!" The three Japanese said in unison. 

Jihyo laughed at their reactions and Chaeyoung's face went beet red.

"…sorry…" Chaeyoung muttered an apology.
"It's fine, I don't mind you calling me hyung." Jeongyeon smiled. It was true that she didn't mind being called a hyung. It sounded cool so she let it pass.

Chaeyoung smiled widely and looked at her seatmate, Mina.

"Isn't that good?" Mina said as she ruffled Chaeyoung's hair. Chaeyoung happily nodded.

Everyone went soft, except Nayeon, as they witnessed the heartwarming scene.

"I never thought Mina would be a mother before I could and she's supposed to be younger." Sana absentmindedly said.

Tzuyu regretted on not covering Sana's mouth for her to shut up. Mina threw a deathly glare at their direction.

Before Mina could go and do something to Sana, Sana ordered Chaeyoung.

"Chaeyoung hug Mina right now!" Sana ordered as she hid behind Tzuyu. 
"As if she could run away with that!" All of them thought.

Chaeyoung being the good kid she is, went and hugged Mina. Mina looked at who dared to stop her and saw Chaeyoung hugging her. She went back to her senses and obediently sat. She didn't glare at Sana and just ruffled Chaeyoung's hair once again.

"She calmed down!" All of them made a silent tsukkomi.

Sana right there and then thought of how glad she was that Chaeyoung was there. She knew how Mina goes soft on kids, Chaeyoung was like a walking pacifier! She silently went back to her seat.

"I'm Park Jihyo, the student council president. I'm taking up architecture, also a third year. The bunny right there is Im Nayeon." Jihyo introduced Nayeon once again, for Jeongyeon's sake.

Nayeon's ears perked up when she heard the word bunny.

"I'm no bunny!" She glared. But her eyes widened when she saw her seatmate. Without further ado she started hitting Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon along with everyone was dumb founded, what in the world is she doing?!

"Nayeon-unnie stop! What are you doing?!" Jihyo was shocked at the sudden outburst.

"He's the one who stole my phone!" Nayeon accusingly pointed at Jeongyeon. Sana and Tzuyu held her as she might kill Jeongyeon.

"What in the world are you talking about?!" Jeongyeon hissed. 

"Give me back my phone! You won't have my number no matter what!" Nayeon shouted.

"What number are you talking about? Like, I'd want to have a number of someone who splendidly slipped on the floor!" Jeongyeon scoffed.

"Why you?!" Nayeon's glared at Jeongyeon. Not one of them backed out.

Jihyo sighed. Are all her friends these crazy? 

"Sit down both of you. Let's talk shall we?" Jihyo acted as a mediator.

Jeongyeon and Nayeon both sat on opposite sides.

"So Nayeon, where did you meet Jeongyeon?" Jihyo started.

"I met him on the hallway. I slipped and this guy never helped!" Nayeon said accusingly.

"First of all, I'm a girl. Second, I don't have any obligations to help you." Jeongyeon retaliated.

"So, Jeongyeon do you have her phone?" Jihyo asked.

"I found an unknown phone in my bag earlier." Jeongyeon stated.

"I told you he…she had it!"

"Didn't I say unknown? It means I have no idea whose phone it is. Why would I even want your phone when I have mine?" 

Nayeon couldn't say something back.

"Shut up! Miss my bag's open!" Nayeon crossed her arms.

Upon hearing this, Jihyo thought of something.

"Nayeon-unnie when you slipped, how far was Jeongyeon away from you?" 

"About two meters…" Then it hit Nayeon. The other party's bag was open and she slipped. There's the possibility that she had let go of her phone mid air and thus it created a parabolic path resulting for it to go straight into Jeongyeon's bag. The chance was slim but it could have happened.

Nayeon spoke her thoughts out loud. Jeongyeon somehow managed to understand Nayeon's theory.

"I'm sorry!" Nayeon apologized. She didn't know how many times she cursed Jeongyeon through out the day.

"Don't jump to conclusions next time." Jeongyeon handed Nayeon's phone. Jeongyeon's too lazy to look for a fight and plus, she's sleepy.

All of them heaved a sigh of relief, especially Jihyo. She can finally have her rest.