Chapter 1: One should sleep

BDZ

JYP University, one of the rare universities that’s not under the supervision of the world government. Its founder, JYP, founded the university to educate its students away from the brainwashing education of the government. That was what it was supposed to be.

Years after the founder died, the University began adopting the curriculums given by the government. Right now, it can be considered a university run by the government in the shadows. The thing about it not being under the supervision of the government in its brochure is there just for a show. That’s right; it’s just there to attract students.

JYP University was located in Seoul, South Korea. The cherry blossoms that grow in front of the university create a magnificent view. The scene of its petals dancing with the wind, surely new students would be at awe and old students would walk proudly, as if to say that they’ve seen it many times already.

In this place filled with vibrant energy, even a teeny tiny dull aura would attract some attention. Today is supposed to be the first day of the new semester; everyone should have some freshness on their face. But this wasn’t the case for one student.

She wore a plain t-shirt, a pair of baggy pants accompanied by her dishevelled hair and the dark circles under her eyes. Seeing this you’d surely wonder if she’s a student. Many stares were directed at her, especially from the freshmen. But the said girl didn’t care, she wanted some sleep. If it wasn’t from her sister shouting at her face, she wouldn’t have moved an inch. It was the first day of school; the professors won’t do their lectures right away!

She walked groggily, reaching the flight of stairs that leads towards the main building. Her jaw almost dropped at the sight. Why does it look like there’s even more stairs than normal?! Was what she wondered. With a disgusted look on her face, cursing whoever approved in creating these stairs, she began climbing.

“Yoo Jeongyeon!” A shout from a far was heard. The person being called never looked back. She was busy huffing and puffing, and cursing the stairs.

“Yoo Jeongyeon! Yah!” The shout became louder and then a slap on the back was given to the girl, Yoo Jeongyeon.

Yoo Jeongyeon, a student taking Computer Science. She is a certified homebody and doesn’t care about fashion or her looks. Simply, she’s a lazy one. But if it comes to coding, she’d have the energy to do it day and night.

The said girl was currently climbing the stairs on a very sleepy state. When she was given a slap on the back, her legs gave up and now she’s doing the orz pose.

“Wow! You gave up on climbing the stairs Jeong?” The new girl teased.

“If it wasn’t for a certain someone, I won’t be in this position.” Jeongyeon hissed. She was still doing the orz pose, catching her breath. She had low stamina.

“Stand up already! People are watching!” The new girl said. She doesn't want to make a scene.

“Stop shouting Jihyo. My eardrums might burst.” Jeongyeon said as she stood up, dusting herself.

“I’m not shouting! I’m talking!” Jihyo, as she claims, replies.

“Then please murmur. My head hurts.” Jeongyeon suggested and climbed the stairs once again.

Jihyo pouted but then laughed when she saw her friend walking groggily as if she was drunk.

Park Jihyo, a student taking up architecture. She’s also the student council president and the leader of the cheerleading team of JYP University. In short, she’s a popular one. She has a pretty loud voice and at times, she doesn’t need a mic when speaking in the auditorium.

She takes good care of her looks. One would wonder why she and Jeongyeon knew each other, especially when they’re not both on the same grade. Jihyo’s younger than Jeongyeon by a year.

Jihyo looked at Jeongyeon in amusement as she tried her best to finish climbing the stairs. And upon reaching the last step, Jihyo clapped.

“Congrats! I never thought you could make it.” Jihyo said as she wiped her fake tears.

“Mother is proud.”

“When did you become my mom? You should have helped me.” She glared at the younger girl.

“I had to walk the stairs myself. How would I help you?” Jihyo answered innocently.

“Whatever. I want these stairs gone tomorrow, you hear that prez.” Jeongyeon commanded.

“I’m just the student council president, there’s no way I can make these stairs disappear, even if I wanted to.” Jihyo laughed.

“That’s one useless position you have.” Jeongyeon commented as she began to walk towards her classroom. She wanted to sleep.

“Yah! It’s not that useless! I’ll see you during lunch!” Jihyo waved. Jeongyeon looked back and nodded, signalling she’ll be there.

Jihyo silently laughed when Jeongyeon almost tripped. She had a bemused smile on her face when she wondered what Jeongyeon’s older sister, Seungyeon, had done to successfully wake Jeongyeon up. She looked at her watch and made her way to the office. She needed to get something before going to the auditorium for the orientation of the freshmen. Jihyo sighed when she realized that her day’s gonna be a long one.

On the opposite direction of where Jihyo went came a very pretty looking bunny, I mean, girl. She wore a one piece dress; her hair was fluttering with the wind and her designer bag hanged on her shoulder. She was the very definition of the word freshness. On her hand was her phone, she was busy taking selfies and uploading her pictures. This girl is Im Nayeon, a student taking up civil engineering and the number one girl on the list of “Girls you should date”.

Guys swoon over her that it makes some girls jealous but she can’t do anything about being pretty. That’s right; she’s quite a narcissist and she knows it. Though she's like that, she has a pleasant personality. As you might have observed, she’s obsessed with her phone. Take away her phone and she’ll hunt you down.

“This one’s good, also this one…ooh this one too. Why am I so pretty?” Nayeon wondered.

She entered the main building and went towards her locker. The said girl continued to walk whilst looking at her phone not realizing that there’s a sign nearby saying that the floor was slippery. She continued to walk while raising all sorts of flag.

Nayeon marvellously slipped on the slippery floor, thank goodness no one was around to witness her grand slam or so she thought. There was one student whose gaze met hers. Nayeon noted on how sleepy and uninterested the fellow was when he looked at her. Not seemingly to care that a very pretty person, as Nayeon says, tripped in front of him. The dull looking student didn’t help her and walked away.

Nayeon scoffed when she noticed that the rude fellow forgot to close his bag. She stood up and looked around to see if anyone had seen her besides that rude guy. Glad there was no one around; she dusted herself up and picked up her bag. She paled when she realized something. Where’s my phone?! She internally screamed.

Scanning the hallway in horror, she looked at every nook and cranny of the hallway. She gasped, her phone wasn’t there. Who took it?! She glared at the poor floor. Nayeon then remembered the rude guy.

“Don’t tell me…” She gasped. He must have been very shy to talk to her that when he saw her phone, he took it so that he can get to meet her again! Nayeon believed that there weren’t any loopholes in her theory.

Nayeon gritted her teeth and glared at the direction that the guy took. Whatever your reason is, if you take Nayeon’s phone, you’ll be hunted and be brought down!

“You’re dead.” Nayeon growled.