Chapter 4: One should observe first

BDZ

Chaeyoung entered the auditorium and gawked at how big it was. She hadn’t paid a close attention earlier since she was busy chasing after Jihyo. She stopped gaping and headed towards the place that Jihyo had mentioned before parting ways.

“Turn left, front wing, blue section.” She repeatedly mumbled these words as if it was some sort of mantra.

“Ah! There it is!” Chaeyoung squealed. She almost did her happy dance. Good thing she didn’t, people were turning their attention towards her because of her shout earlier. She smiled bashfully and took a seat on the far most chair near a white painted wall. She fidgeted on her seat; she was both nervous and excited.

Son Chaeyoung took up visual arts since drawing and painting were her hobby. She had a weird way of speaking as she was originally from the countryside. She had been practicing for months to get rid of her accent and she did improve though her accent comes out occasionally.

Chaeyoung always had been home schooled and hadn’t had many friends of her age. Most of the people in her town were elderly ones. That’s why she’s very excited to have been admitted to a university. Her dream of having a wonderful university life is finally starting!

“Excuse me but is the seat beside you occupied?” A voice halted Chaeyoung’s train of thoughts. Chaaeyoung turned her head from where the voice had originated. There she saw a girl coming out of the wall. It was as if the girl was the wall herself! Never did Chaeyoung thought that she’d encounter one of the school’s mysteries on her first day. Chaeyoung was stunned.

The new girl furrowed her brows. She just asked the little girl in front of her but she never got an answer back. Weird, she thought. She had always considered herself an approachable person and wasn’t scary.

Kim Dahyun is the name of the said girl, the only daughter of the Kim family. It is said that the Kim family was the richest family of the old world and even now, they are still on the list of the top families leading the new world. Though Dahyun isn’t the heir, her brother is, she’s still not someone you should mess with. The Kim family is known for being a strict household. Dahyun was brought up to be a perfect lady. Another thing can be said about her, she’s extremely pale.

“Amazing…the wall’s talking…” The girl in front of her mindlessly blurted out. Good thing no one else heard it.

“Wall?” Dahyun thought. She looked behind her and there she saw a wall having the same hue as her pale skin. She giggled, what a coincidence.

“I’m no wall though.” Dahyun said as she stifled her laughter.

Chaeyoung then realized something. Blood rushed to her face, clearly embarrassed of what she had just said. How could she mistake a girl for a wall?! She reprimanded herself.

“Uhm…the seat ain’t taken and sorry…for mistakin’ you for a wall…” Chaeyoung said in a quiet voice that can rival Mina’s usual voice.

“Oh, don’t worry about it.” Dahyun replied. She knew she can blend in with the wall but never did she think she’ll be called one. Dahyun couldn’t contain her laughter. Chaeyoung looked at her in utter confusion.

“Sorry. I never thought I’d be mistaken for a wall. My name’s Kim Dahyun, what’s yours?” Dahyun said as she took a seat beside Chaeyoung. She then extended her hand for a handshake.

“Name’s Son Chaeyoung. Sorry about the wall thingy.” Chaeyoung replied and returned the handshake.

“I told you its fine. Besides, I admit it was funny.” Dahyun laughed.

Chaeyoung smiled upon hearing the girl’s reply.

“Oh, I guess the orientation’s starting!” Dahyun said excitedly. Chaeyoung then turned her attention to the stage. She didn’t know any of those who sat on those expensive looking chairs but she knew they were important people. One person caught her attention.

“Jihyo-unnie?” Chaeyoung blurted out.

“Oh, you know the student council president?” Dahyun curiously asked.

“I met her earlier. I didn’t even know she’s the president. She helped me a while ago when I was lost; she even mistook me for a lost kid.” Chaeyoung laughed.

Dahyun looked blankly at the person beside her. No matter how you look at it, she looked like a kid. Dahyun took a seat beside Chaeyoung so that Chaeyoung won’t feel left out for being surrounded by people older than her. Chaeyoung noticed Dahyun’s silence and tilted her head. Dahyun gave her a cramped smile.

“Sorry, but how old are you?” Dahyun asked.

Chaeyoung couldn’t believe her ears. Not again! She internally screamed.

“18…” Chaeyoung helplessly replied. She gave up. Next time she introduces herself, she better state her age after her name.

“Sorry.” Dahyun apologized.

“Nah, at least this makes us even.” Chaeyoung smiled.

The both of them then attentively listened to the speaker after they had noticed that they were being glared by one of the officers. Jihyo went to the podium after the Chancellor finished his speech.

“Good morning everyone, I’m your student council president Park Jihyo. I know many of you are excited to get out from this building and roam around so I’ll keep my message short. You’re free to do whatever you want to do all day. That’s the advantage of being a freshman; the first day is your free day. You can go and familiarize the campus or visit the clubs or you can also go home if you wish.”

The students cheered upon hearing this.

“Welcome to JYP University! I wish you all good luck and have a happy university life!” Jihyo ended her speech.

Chaeyoung and Dahyun successfully escaped and are now walking aimlessly. They were trying to familiarize the place.

“What’s your course by the way?” Dahyun asked.

“Visual arts, you?” Chaeyoung replied.

“I’m a music major.” Dahyun smiled.

The both of them talked about random things. They continued to walk until they realized they were lost.

“Not again!” Chaeyoung grunted.

“You did get lost earlier today.” Dahyun recalled.

“I did but at least I’m not alone.” Chaeyoung said, consoling herself.

“But it doesn’t change the fact that you’re lost.” Dahyun teased.

Chaeyoung couldn’t retort upon hearing this. She groaned and continued to walk, hoping that they find a map or a senior. After walking aimlessly, they found themselves in a garden. The garden looked creepy, it was desolate. It was if a ghost would come out at any given moment. Then they heard a grumble which was followed by a rustling behind the bushes.

“Da-Dahyun d-don’t scare me like that. It’s not funny.” Chaeyoung said. She wanted to hear Dahyun say that she was just messing around. Chaeyoung is a certified scaredy-cat when it comes to ghosts.

“W-what are you t-ta-talking about? I didn’t do anything.” Dahyun replied. Though a ghost might probably be as pale as her, she doesn’t like them. If Chaeyoung wasn’t with her, she probably had run as fast as she could.

The two girls looked at each other. Both were scared to their wits end. A grumble was again heard then a rustle which was louder than the last one. Chaeyoung’s knees gave up and Dahyun was shaking when they heard a woman’s voice.

“HHHEELLPPP”

The rustle behind the bush got louder. A hand then came out of the bush and that was the last straw for both of them.

“GYAAAAAA!!!” A shout was heard, scaring off the birds.