CH04

54 Days

DAY 8

It's been 15 minutes since the school bell rang but still there’s no sign from Minwoo. Dongwan takes a long and forlorn sigh. He slaps his face and hits his head over and over because he still couldnt believe for all this that happened to him during today’s lunch break.

Dongwan started his day exactly just like he usually does in general. Nothing special, every mundane things from the moment he woke up, ate his cereal, took a bath, get dressed and rode his bycycle to school. But there's one thing, one ing thing that Dongwan definitely will regret for the rest of his life. that happened when its only left no longer than 3 months before his graduation day.

That one thing was, why he had to make appointment with Jung Hwan today? Why he agreed to meet him on school? Why they had to meet right on lunch break, why not wait until the school end? More so, why he became so careless until he get busted? 

Jung Hwan is one of Shinhwa High School’s alumna. It was Jung Hwan who introduced Dongwan to all the obscene stuffs a ka stuffs. From the highest quality videos, the newest mrated magazines or comic books, Jung Hwan provides all of those to Dongwan for the past 2 years even after Jung Hwan graduated from school. And today their original plan was  for Jung Hwan to lend one of this exclusive limited edition copy of magazine to Dongwan, they agreed to meet during lunch break, secretly at the far end of the school building. What Dongwan didn’t realize was, as secretive as his meeting with Jung Hwan, in the same time Eric also secretly followed his step since Dongwan exited the classroom.

“ Jung Hwan-hyung? ”

Both Dongwan and Jung Hwan were surprised by the sudden appearance of Eric. The magazine that Jung Hwan just passed to Dongwan’s hand fell and nobody but Eric was fast enough to catch it. Eric quickly took the magazine and secured it before Dongwan could snatched it back.

“ Whoa, whoa,whoa. Seriously? Dongwan? You too? Whoa, I’m speechless. ” Eric couldnt hide his shock knowing things that Dongwan gotten into.

Jung Hwan who sensed something bad would happened to him used the opportunity to escape.

“ Just give it back after you done with that, Dongwan-ah! ” Jung Hwan said before he ran away from the crime scene.

“ Wait, wait, ” In reflect, Dongwan tried to chase Jung Hwan but Eric’s strong grip right on his arm prevent him to do that.

“ No, not that fast Dongwan. I should be the one who said 'Wait' to you. ”

" No, this is clearly a big misunderstanding! The magazine, that, that is Jung Hwan’s, I, I have nothing to do with that. ” Dongwan’s panic voice stammered.

" Yes, this is Jung Hwan’s, but somehow you borrow this magazine from him right? The question is, for what purposes until the smartest student in Shinhwa High School decide to borrow a magazine? An academic purposes? Um, no, I think our Biology book already do its best to explain us about human reproductive system plus the anatomy part. Then tell me, what is it all about Dongwan? ” Eric asked while turning the pages to see the content of the magazine.

Dongwan realized that Eric had been caught him red-handed. Whatever he said to deny would be useless. Therefore Dongwan chose to remain silent.

Eric finally closed the magazine and brought back his attention to Dongwan who stood there in front of him with his head pointed to the floor. “ Okay, so here’s the deal. I guarantee that your dirty little secret will be safe. I swear I wont tell anyone about your bussiness with Jung Hwan. But under one condition. That you are also agree to help Minwoo by giving him a tutor. ”

“ Why so suddenly ask me this kind of thing? And why me? And, did you stalk me because of this? And why isn’t your friend come ask me by himself? ” Dongwan totally pissed off and let the fumes go by increasing the tone of his voice.

Eric grimaced, surprised to know that Dongwan could be mad like this too. “ Tsk, how someone who is so quiet but once he talks, he talks like an old fussy grandma? ” Eric shaked his head in a mockery gesture.

“ Okay, first of all sorry for stalking you like this. I didn’t know that you will be here being a sinner. But it’s true that actually this is Principal Yang’s command for Minwoo. But because Minwoo doesn’t know that there’s student name Dongwan exist in this school, so he asked me. So either I catch you in the act or not, you really got no option to turn down this request as this is come from the Principal. Make sense huh? You grasp the situation already huh? "

“ For how long I should help your friend Minwoo? ”

“ I'm not quite sure, but the deadline is for the next week Mock Test. You gotta help that dude bring the best score he can show off to Principal Yang, that’s the whole mission is all about. ”

“ So what if I, no, what if he failed? Tell me, what can I do when it’s only 7days left before Monday? ”

“ That’s your homework dude. You’re smart, and Minwoo isn’t really dumb too. You gotta make the impossible possible cuz you already know the consequence. Do I make myself clear? ”

“ And you swear on your parent’s grave that no one will know everything that you see just now, do I also make myself clear Eric? ” This time it was Dongwan who emphasized his word so Eric really took him serious.

Eric nodded, he offered his hand to shake hand but Dongwan ignored it. So with his other hand who firmly held the magazine, he gave the magazine back to Dongwan who quickly took it from Eric’s.

" And, Dongwan? May I suggest you one more thing? ” Eric who already took a walk back from that place suddenly halted his step abruptly and turned his head back to Dongwan. " Go find someone you can bang for real, dude. What's the point of seeing those if you dont practice it for real? "

" Shut up Eric. " Dongwan hissed though he wasn’t sure if Eric could hear it or not in the middle of Eric’s evil laughing voice.

 

Even until now the sound of Eric’s laughter still on Dongwan’s mind. Dongwan kicks the wall and desperately cursed much to his dismay. “ Aaaarrgh! You are so dead. So ing dead!! ”

" Whoa, whoaa please dont kill me yet. I know I’m late, but please I beg for your mercy. "

Minwoo's voice that suddenly coming from behind jolts Dongwan in shock which make Dongwan fall because he trips his own feet when he tries to take a step back.

“ Hey, Dongwan right? Are you okay? ” Minwoo stretches his arm to help Dongwan up.

Dongwan immediately takes his bag and moves to stand up by himself, declining Minwoo's help.

“ I’m sorry if I startled you. I’m Lee Minwoo, by the way. ” Now Minwoo offers his hand to shake hand but Dongwan just stand there unmoving, so Minwoo pulls back his hand and place it in his pocket. “ Is that yours? ” Minwoo takes a glance  to the bicycle parked beside Dongwan. Dongwan only gives weak nod as a response. “ Ah, okay. I’m going to get my car, then. Please stay here okay, promise I wont be long. ”

About 10 minutes later, Minwoo’s SUV stops in front of Dongwan. Minwoo jumps from his seat and quickly puts Dongwan’s Cross Country bicycle in the trunk, not giving time or chance for Dongwan to react over Minwoo’s action.

This is the first time for Dongwan to see Minwoo up close. But doesn’t mean that  he doesn’t know Minwoo. As the Head of Student Body, everyone in school definitely knows who Minwoo is. And not only that, actually everyone in school are in love with Minwoo. Who doesn’t anyway? In essence, it’s impossible for someone to be able to tackle everything on the list all at once. But not for Minwoo’s case. From his visual, Minwoo got everything he needs to make all the female student willing to line up to be his girlfriend or to just get a little attention from him. Jawline so strong, with soft skin and smooth hair as a bonus poin. Also added long and thick eyelashes to polish the beauty in him and not to mention the eyesmile that makes Minwoo looks like a cute puppy when he smiles. And fact that he’s a student body indicates if Minwoo is a smart student from the first place. As for personality traits, he’s charming and easy going too, definitely got the charisma that attracts people’s attention everytime he enters the room. He's not a jock, or a douche, also not the bully one, even sometimes Minwoo pull prank to someone, or call people by names and mock them for the sake of joking. If that isn’t enough, Minwoo is also known for his all-around sportmanship. From basketball, football, baseball, any kind of sport you named it and Minwoo can easily show you how to get it done. Minwoo also got this skill in dance and music too. A man with complete package.

But standing in front of Minwoo also makes Dongwan finally able to figure about one thing, that in spite of everything, sure no one is born perfect. And for Minwoo’s, its the lack of height that become his problem. This makes Dongwan feels a bit confident to know that he is a bit taller than Minwoo. But this also raises another question  on Dongwan’s mind. How can someone so short with height under 170cms can play basketball so well? And how it possible for those arms in Minwoo's small body to be able to lift up the whole bicycle easily like it got no weights at all?

" Earth calling Dongwan.." Minwoo waves his hand in front of Dongwan's face.

" Huh? "

" Um, get into the car? " Minwoo says while pointing to his car door as if he’s not sure with Dongwan’s peculiar behaviour from the beginning.

" Ah. " Dongwan walks to Minwoo's car with mixed feelings.

" Okay. Fasten your seatbelt and we ready to take off... "

 

*

 

When Eric told Dongwan that the study will take place on Minwoo’s house, Dongwan was all okay with the plan. But now Dongwan quickly regretted his Yes answer after he sees how big Minwoo’s house is with all the interior and exterior which leads him to compare his small apartment. In addition, Minwoo’s house also gives this warm atmosphere and very noisy when it just has Minwoo’s parent and Minwoo’s older sister. With such a house and family member like that, Dongwan suddenly feeling a pang of jealousy with Minwoo’s almost perfect life because most of the things Dongwan doesn’t have it. Isn’t because of Dongwan being ungrateful with his condition as a single child from divorced parent who then live with his single-parent Mom, however, by coming to Minwoo's house and meet Minwoo’s family makes the jealousy become inevitable and soon Dongwan feels lonely and a little bit depressed too.

And there’s also one thing that bugs Dongwan’s mind. He is now start to think that Minwoo at home, with the one at school is like 2 different person. Even though Dongwan doesn’t really know about Minwoo aside from his little observation from afar, but the Minwoo that Dongwan see right now judging from the interaction between Minwoo and his parent, is like a childish 3 years old toddler. Really different with Minwoo’s vibe at school who have this strong electrifying presence that makes all girls easily fall for him. And though it also seems like Minwoo doesn’t care about the fact that Dongwan can see the sudden change in Minwoo’s attitude.

“ Hey, Dongwan! Let’s go upstairs! ” Minwoo’s voice immediately retracts Dongwan’s attention back to the present. When Dongwan rolls his head, he sees Minwoo is chewing something.

“ You want some too? ” Minwoo shoves a package of candy at Dongwan’s direction.

“ What? ”

“ Gummy bear? Grape flavour? ”

Dongwan shakes his head, fact that Minwoo is chewing a gummy bear is just adding his bewilderment over Minwoo’s childish act.

“ C’mon, my room is in upstairs. ”

Dongwan follows Minwoo to Minwoo’s room.

“ I’m sorry to say but my room it’s a total mess. ”

If seeing Minwoo with Gummybear is not enough for Dongwan, then the content of Minwoo's room makes Dongwan even more astonished.

" You have a cool room.. And cozy.. And spacious.." Dongwan can’t hide his admiration over Minwoo’s room.

Minwoo nods. “ Actually it’s a shared room for me and my brother. But since he’s married and living in his own house, so I get this room for myself. So yeap it seems bigger, and as you can see it’s full with lots of things because my brother left most of his stuffs here. ”

While Minwoo explain that part, Dongwan’s eyes wanders to the electric guitar placed at the corner of Minwoo's room. Without Dongwan knowing it, his feet steps closer to the guitar and his hand eagerly touches the strings.

“ If only I could buy whatever that I want just like Minwoo. Must feel nice being Minwoo who never lacks a thing and can afford everything in this life. ” Dongwan says to himself.

“ You play guitar? ”

Suddenly Minwoo is already standing right behind Dongwan and the question surprised Dongwan. For the second times in today Dongwan lose his balance, but before Dongwan actually fall to crash the guitar in front of him, Minwoo with a super fast reflex manages to pull Dongwan's body. What happen next really put Dongwan into total embarrassment. Because after Dongwan feels that Minwoo is pulling his body to prevent him from falling, Dongwan then grab Minwoo's arm and hold it so tight so now they both look like hugging each other.

" Well, that was close. " Minwoo says as Dongwan's arm still around his waist.

Dongwan gasps in surprise. He quickly releases himself from Minwoo and step back to set a distance. “ I, .. I’m sorry. ”

“ It’s okay, Dongwan. My fault for startling you, though. ” Minwoo friendly pats Dongwan’s arm. “ Do you play instrument, Dongwan? It’s okay if you wanna play first before we start to study. ”

Dongwan shakes his head. It’s safer for Dongwan to pretend. It’s better for Dongwan to lie. As he only agreed to come here to study, not to make friends with each other. So Minwoo doesn’t have to know anything about his life.

Minwoo nods. “ If you say so, then I will change my clothes first, okay? ”

Without waiting Dongwan’s respond, Minwoo casually takes off his shirt and going topless right in front of Dongwan. Dongwan quickly look away while Minwoo starts to dig into his wardrobe while whistling gleefully.

" , Dongwan! Control yourself! Dont be awkward! " Dongwan try to hypnotize himself and forget the fact that he just clearly saw Minwoo half .

Even during PE class, Dongwan tries not to step inside the dressing room if he knows that there are still many students in it. Somehow seeing a man is giving this uncomfortable feeling for Dongwan, even Dongwan got this goosebump when he heard Eric’s weird habit to show off-ing both of his front and back assets to other students for the sake of joking.

Dongwan then decides to use the chance to look around Minwoo’s room. His eyes laid on the glass case full of Minwoo’s trophies, photo frames and other knick-knacks. Most of the trophies shows Minwoo’s excellency in dancing competition, while the photo frames shows a various moment in Minwoo’s past life. In one of the frame, there’s photo of Minwoo together with Eric and other student from the basketball’s team. Dongwan remembered if last semester their school celebrated the victorious winning after Shinhwa Basketball team won the championship and reclaim the title for 2 consecutive years. In next frame, there’s a photo of Minwoo kissed Steffie’s cheek, both of them looked so happy and clearly in love in the photo. And in other frame, Dongwan also see a photo of Minwoo together with Choong Jae in some dance competition as a background of the picture.

Eric. Steffie. Choong Jae. Without Dongwan ever realized that the closest people in Minwoo’s life actually also close enough to Dongwan. As example, Eric, for 3 years become Dongwan’s classmate even though they rarely talk to each other. While Choong Jae, Dongwan knows Choong Jae because both of them join the Swimming Club as the after-school activity that the school forces all student to join at least 1 club for each semester. Choong Jae actually afraid with water, but he’s the man who always challenge himself so that’s the reason Choong Jae gave when Coach Soo Man asked the students about their reason joining the Swimming Club. For Dongwan himself, he join the Swimming club because from all of the option the school offered, the Swimming club doesn’t cost alot of money. And the number of male students gradually decreasing after they know there's gay student join the club so isn't really bothering for Dongwan because he only need to see a few topless student in the pool aand even luckily for Dongwan he then able to earn extra money because he told Coach Soo Man that he willing to clean the pool for a side-job. And last, about Steffie ....

“ Ehem, ”

Dongwan turns around to the sound of Minwoo clears his throat. Standing behind Dongwan, this time Minwoo is already fully clothed.

“ Hey, Dongwan. Mind if I ask you something? ”

“ Huh? ”

" Are you usually like this? "

" What? " Dongwan unable to understand the context of Minwoo’s question.

" I mean, are you usually easy to get lost in thoughts like this? Bet you dont hear me calling your name and asking you question, right? "

Unsure of what to answer the question, Dongwan then just bow his head down and hope Minwoo let his question unanswered.

Glad that after seeing how Dongwan’s react to the question makes Minwoo immediately remember Eric's words about Dongwan. If Dongwan is the type of a person who is quiet and rarely talks, Minwoo then decide to let this slip by.

" Okay, I’m sorry. Should have known that you really hate to do little chitchat, right? I’m sorry if my question offend you Dongwan. Promise I wont be busybody. ” Minwoo says to Dongwan.

And with that then the two of them proceeds to start their study session.

***