(iii) A letter

Girl meets evil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning

Tiredness finally took over Mina's body last night. She slept in the corner of the room on top of a few old newspapers she found between the furniture, using one of them as a cover didn't do much on warming her body.

She woke up by the loud sound of the door, she squinted her eyes to adjust to the light, and she saw a guy wearing a black suit. Her eyes widen and she cowers like a scared animal, she tucked her legs up to her chest and slowly scurried away from the man, until her back hits the corner of the room.

"W- what do you want?" she asked with a shaking voice.

The man walked slowly up to her, he stood towering Mina. He finally sees the prisoner his boss speaks of, he scanned the room and sees newspapers lying on the ground, where he assumed Mina slept at. He doesn't speak, only gestured Mina to get up. Mina was weary but does as she's told. Two other men stood outside her 'cell', as she walked out of the room, they both walked behind her. Mina was surrounded, she hoped to outrun the first burly man once she got out the cell, but with the added men behind her, it doesn't seem possible.

The warehouse Mina is held in was huge, loud, and freezing. Mina wrapped her hands around her body, trying to warm herself up. They walked out the 'meeting rooms' Jeongyeon used for 'interrogation' out to another hallway. Mina saw a big black glass windowpane, a one-way window to an office. Her reflection stares back at her, hair a mess and greasy, clothes wrinkled and cleavage showed; unladylike, eyes puffy, and nose so red. She herself doesn't recognize the girl staring back at her.

Unbeknownst to her, a woman smirked, "what a pretty new toy to play with," as she sees Mina walk past with three bodyguards escorting her to her new home.

Mina gasp when she saw Jeongyeon's other henchmen opposite to the mystery window, some were cleaning their guns, or counting piles of money, or stacking mystery boxes from unmarked trucks, or joking around like there aren't surrounded by dread and a one-way ticket to prison if ever they get caught. They all ignored Mina as she walked pass by. The warehouse is filled with hidden surveillance cameras at each corner of the warehouse, watching everything and everyone. The mezzanine on the upper floor also lined with men overlooking the receiving floor. Mina felt hopeless; she can't see a way out.

They finally arrived at a dead end; the man in front of her unlocks the metal door and gestured for her to walk in. Mina saw a twin size bed, a work table, and a drawer closet. It felt so bland and lifeless. The walls looked freshly painted with an off-white color with newly grouted tiles for the floor. It contrasted the whole warehouse look which was metal or original cement grey. Mina helplessly walked slowly into her new bedroom ... her new life.

The two men stood outside as the first man closed the door. He cleared his throat and spoke, "the name's Donghae, I've been assigned to watch you-", he grabbed a duffel bag underneath the bed and placed it on the bed, "this is filled with necessary clothes for you, and you will find blankets in the drawer. The bathroom will be outside the room, knock on the door and I will you to where it is," Donghae waits for Mina.

Mina was still shocked that all this was real; she walked to the middle of the room, her back facing her new 'friend', Donghae. She doesn't respond to him, she doesn't want to, suddenly she felt tears running down her face. Donghae saw her shoulders shake a little, and then he heard sniffling. He turned and left the room to stand by the door, giving her space he knew she needed.

She sat on the bed, thinking about how her life changed in a day. She looked around at the cold room when her eyes darted to the bag on the white bedcover. A few sweater tops, pants and hoodies that are enough to make her body feel warm. She blushed when she found a few couples of and bras even three pad packs. "I guess I will be staying for a while," she sighed and looked out of the only window in her room, "at least I have a nice view." Her room looked out to the dense forest just beside the warehouse. Mina imagined herself running through them hoping to find the freedom she wished for right now. Unknown to her, the dense forest doesn't lead to freedom, but a sheer drop to a rocky death in a river that catches the sunset every day.

"God, please protect Jimin and Niko," she prayed, hoping that everything will be fine. A few knocks on the door brought her back to reality she clenched her heart and yelped. She saw Donghae coming in holding a wooden tray; he placed it on the table.

"It might not be a five-star meal, but it'll suffice. Put some meat in your body, this place gets cold fast." Mina blankly stared at the tray of food in front of her, she saw a neatly made omelet, soup, and precision peeled apples for her. She found it quite peculiar for a place filled with men with a job like this to present her food made with such care. She hasn't eaten anything since the day they kidnapped her. Her body needed food but she didn't have an appetite.

Donghae knew Mina hasn't eaten anything since the time she arrived, his fist clenched behind him harder when Mina showed no interest in the food, "I suggest you eat miss or at least drink, you might not feel it but your body WILL shut down sooner or later. Your brother's will will be all for naught if he finds out your death is by your own doing," Donghae doesn't move.

She faked a laugh and opened the water bottle before she took a long jug of it, "happy now?" Mina's smart remarks are the first words she's said to him.

He bowed his head, "I will be outside if you need anything."

"I need you to stop pretending to care and leave me alone."

Mina felt being dead now is better than being alive in here.

---

GS Company Training Grounds - a week in from the plan

"T-two hundred", Niko almost collapsed on the training floor. Day in and day out, ever since he arrived here, he's put under grueling workouts. He's been assigned a personal training, Hwoarang, to train him at the art of being a 'spy'. Niko has the art of escape down to a tee, however, he's never worked close to the intended target and convincing them he's on their side. But little did Jeongyeon know, he's got that down too.

His trainer looked down on him next to him. Five or more guards stared down on the raffles to the arena, watching over them as Niko trained. Niko isn't as buff as the many men who worked for Jeongyeon or Jeongyeon himself, however, he's quite lean from the previous active lifestyle he had before all this.

His trainer panicked when he saw Jeongyeon walking their way. He bowed even before Jeongyeon approached them, but Niko, who's still trying to catch his breath, hunched over himself didn't notice the change in the air. The trainer kicked Niko behind his knees to make him bow to Jeongyeon.

Niko stumbled, "WHAT THE F-!" Niko yelled at the trainer, who's nervously bowing.

"I see you're still rude," the older mocked, "leave us." Niko gulped a little, he stood straight like a soldier, hands held tightly on his side. "Walk with me," Jeongyeon walked out of the training ground with Niko following behind him.

The two stood next to each other on the grass, "how is Mina? Where is she now?" Niko asked.

"She is safe, you have my word," he tucked his hands in his pants. Jeongyeon stayed silent about Mina's eating habit or lack thereof. It might put a damp on the boy's progress or he'll rebel, currently, Jeongyeon needs Niko's full attention on the mission. "I've been receiving reports from Hwoarang on your progress; you still need to work on your attitude. Your stamina is above average, so I don't need to worry about you getting away if you're ever in a tight situation-", Niko smirked he did manage to evade Jeongyeon for months. "Wipe that stupid grin off your face kid, don't get cocky, I warn you," Jeongyeon's lips tugged a little upward at the banter with the kid. Niko has grown on him a little, the kid sort of reminded him of himself when he started in military life, young and too confident for his own good.

"Apologies boss, but you just admitted I've got skill", Niko still a little conflicted with Jeongyeon, but can't help feeling proud finally got the recognition from THE Yoo Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon walked up to Niko, he stands a few inches taller than the boy, Niko is definitely small, but the younger stood his ground, "your uncle won't turn you away, you're family, so you've already gained his trust. However, convincing his MEN is a different story ... just because you're your uncle's nephew doesn't automatically make you trustworthy to them, they WILL keep a close eye on you ... believe me, kid. Your sudden appearance after years being gone is already a red flag; I'll let you think of the reason. Better make it convincing or else," Jeongyeon threatens, Niko knows exactly what he meant, Mina's life is in his hands. "Conversing in Japanese won't be a problem for you. After you've obtained what I need, you will make your return to Korea. Don't stupidly run away and leave, it'll cause problems I would rather not deal with." Niko hummed as Jeongyeon finally explained to him in detail of his plans. "We will keep in touch; someone close will keep an eye on you in Japan. They will be our line of communication," Niko confused, "you'll know who in time. Now ...-", Jeongyeon grabbed Niko's shirt collar, pulling him close to his face, "if you EVER think about running away for help I will NOT hesitate to send you a body bag," Niko's eyes widen, Jeongyeon shoved Niko away, "capeesh?"

Niko frowned upon hearing the last sentence, "y-yes boss. I understand. When will you send me there?"

"When I think that you are ready enough."

"And what exactly am I looking for?"

"Your uncle has names of the corrupted bastard in this country that I need," Jeongyeon doesn't reveal his true intent.

"Ruling over Korea's underground isn't enough for you?" Niko is surely impressed, but unsure if it's because of Jeongyeon's ambitions or insanity, although he can relate, he too wanted more than enough.

"It's not all about conquering kid ... it's about having an upper hand. Be smarter than your enemy," Jeongyeon can't forget when he heard his brother's gasping at their last breathe on the battlefield. Even being the best of the best ... they were outplayed.

"You are going through great lengths for these names boss", Niko has always been suspicious with Jeongyeon, 'why need Haraku when you've got connections?' the boy thought.

Jeongyeon side eyed Niko, he knew Niko is skeptical, "if you think it's easy getting dirt on the people who have the law on their side, then you've got a lot to learn kid," Jeongyeon took in a deep breathe, "they don't play around ... they've got too much to lose but a lot to gain if they've ever got their hands dirty, that's some else's job. Hell ... forget about the glory, they just reap the winnings. Recognition and reputation are what we are after mostly, that induces fear, but they- ... they stay far away from that. It might shine an unwanted spotlight on them. They don't think like us ... they play the game on a different level. You don't want to fight them head on, you'd just put a big target on your head if you did. Brains are always better than brawns kid."

Niko stayed silent, pondering about what Jeongyeon has disclosed in him. Just as much Jeongyeon seems like talking up his , what he said was the truth. He's learned first-hand, Unit 6, was a special force dedicated for covert missions for the greater good of South Korea. They were the brute force behind the brains. They were the ones with blood on their hands.

Niko is amused, "guess no one should underestimate you, boss ... you seemed to be one step ahead of everyone," Niko was learning a lot from being under the wing of Yoo Jeongyeon, maybe a little too much. "Since I'm such a big part of this whole plan ... what do I get in return?" Niko smirked.

Jeongyeon was taken back by what he heard, "isn't your sister's life enough?" Jeongyeon might have read Niko wrong.

Niko stared into Jeongyeon eyes, "if something happened to her ... mark my words, I will personally turn your life into a living hell, your reputation will be damn, I will kill you with my bare hands ... BUT like you said, it'll take much longer if you didn't have me and time is of the essence ... so what do I get when I return?"

"You're full of yourself kid", Jeongyeon stood straighter than before, he eyed Niko carefully.

"I learned from the best", N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter