Chapter Five

My Unforeseen Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So you just ordered a book of instructions from a professional to train Jinwoo?” I asked as I sat in my backyard with the puppy rolling around the grass next to me. I held onto a tug-a-war toy, letting the puppy play with it. “I thought we could take him to a trainer.”

“Your father ordered the package,” Jungkook told me. “And there’s no current classes. But the professional said I just had to follow this guide to be able to teach Jinwoo. It came with a really cute harness that he has to keep on at all times.”

“What does it look like?” I asked with a small smile, tugging on the toy so that the puppy would grab onto it.

“It’s a green vest that says “Guide Puppy in Training” on it,” Jungkook said, causing my smile to grow more.

“And what are the steps to train him?” I asked as the puppy started tugging at the toy. I could feel him trying to shake the toy out of my hand.

“It says that training a guide puppy will take time and patience. I hope you have that,” Jungkook said, causing me to roll my eyes and kick my foot out. I successfully kicked Jungkook. “Okay fine. Um the first thing we have to do is teach him how to walk in a straight line without sniffing. Step two, train him how to walk on the left side, straight ahead of the trainer. Step three, stopping at all curbs. Step four, waiting for a command before crossing roads. Step five, stopping at the top and bottom of stairs. Step six, avoiding obstacles at head height. Step seven, avoiding spaces too narrow for a person and a dog to walk through side by side. Step eight, boarding and travelling on all forms of public transportation. Step nine, taking the trainer to an elevator. Step ten, laying quietly for some time in a public place. And the final step, refusing commands that may lead the trainer into danger. So like if I told him to go walk us into a hole, he would have to refuse to move forward.”

“Does all this even work?” I asked, yanking the toy out of the dog’s mouth. “Will he even learn all this?”

“As I said, training takes time and patience. Dogs are smart,” Jungkook told me. “He already knows you’re his human. And he’s only been here for a couple days.”

“It’s cause I smell like him,” I said, biting my lip and closing my eyes. I had Minhyuk bring me over a handful of Jinwoo’s shirts and his cologne. I just wanted everything I could have that would remind me of Jinwoo. Minhyuk said he didn’t blame me, either.

“It’s not because you smell like him, Yugyeom,” Jungkook said with a sigh. “You’re the one that gives him attention. And you’ve been the one feeding him.”

I slowly nodded my head. Because Jinwoo the puppy is my responsibility now, I brought it upon myself to feed him myself. Jungkook showed me where his food was and I memorized my steps to get to his food and fill the bowl. I even put water in the bowl, which always resulted in me splashing water all over my shirt. Which I didn’t care about. As long as the dog was taken care of, that’s what mattered most to me. This was my final gift from my boyfriend and I was going to make sure little Jinwoo was happy.

“Want to go for your afternoon walk?” Jungkook asked me, causing me to let out a soft snort. “What?”

“Afternoon walk? Am I the dog now?” I asked, smiling softly at him. Jungkook shoved me to the ground, causing me to laugh.

“The doctor said you had to walk around the neighborhood every afternoon,” Jungkook said. “So like it’s a walk, isn’t it? And I’m walking you.”

“Why does that sound so inappropriate?” I asked, kicking him aside and trying to stand up. “Help me up.”

“How does that sound inappropriate?” Jungkook asked with a snort. I felt his hand on my wrist as he helped me stand. Jinwoo then started jumping on my leg, pawing at me.

“I know puppy,” I said, placing my hand on his head. “We’re going on a walk.”

“Let me put his little harness on,” Jungkook said. I nodded my head and waited as Jungkook put the harness on the puppy. “Do you want to walk him?”

“Of course I want to walk him,” I said, to which Jungkook responded with placing the leash in my hand.

“I’ll be right behind you,” Jungkook told me, also handing me my cane. “I’ll try to make sure Jinwoo doesn’t get in the way of your cane.”

“Thanks,” I said, letting Jungkook lead me out of the backyard. He led me to the gate, opening it up for me. I felt Jinwoo tug me forward, but I immediately yanked on his leash so I wouldn’t lose my balance. “Jinwoo. No.”

“Are you sure you want to walk him?” Jung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter