Chapter 7 - The end of High School

Today I really want to be alone...

Chapter 7 - The End of High School

Vacations are always over to early but Eunbyul was glad it was fast. She was afraid Eunbi would cross paths with Taekwang somewhere in Tokyo but luckily this didn’t happen. The summer went by just as quickly. Eunbyul spend most her time catching up with what she missed in school and Eunbi worked in the coffee shop and helping Eunbyul study. Their mom was very proud of them and always working. Both of the girls wanted to apply for scholarships but there obviously was no guarantee that they would receive one.

This is how the new and also their last year of High School started. It went over super fast. Everyone was stressed about final exams on the first day already. They all had to decide where to go to University or what they would do if they failed the University entrance exams. It was a hectic year without any drama. Even the troublemakers in class paid attention and tried to get their grades up. Eunbi decides she wanted to become a teacher and applied for a scholarship at Korea University for Teacher’s Education. Eunbyul wanted to become a doctor and applied to Yonsei University, even though she wasn’t confident in getting in. Both of them worked hard all day and all night to balance school, tutoring and side jobs. While Eunbi kept working in the coffee shop Eunbyul started to work in a clothing store on the weekends.

They barely had time to think of anything else but getting into University. Both of them where at the edge sometimes due to the hard work and effort they were putting in. While these two tried their best to get into University, Yian prepared to become a professional swimmer. He already got a scholarship offer to a sports University in Seoul and was more than happy to take it. Songjoo was going to continue her model career and study photography at the same time, whereas Shijin was going to be a hairdresser. She was happy with her choice. She knew she would never get into a good University so she decided to do what she loved, make people prettier. If Songjoo could not succeed with her model career she would become a model agent at least and would hire Shijin as the personal Stylist. Their future was basically set and they couldn’t wait for it.

It was amazing how fast the school year past and summer came around. At their graduation the five friends promised to have a conference call at least every two weeks to get an update on what everyone was doing. Even though all of them were still in Seoul they knew they would all be stressed with their new chapter of life.

Summer started and they decided to stay at home, meet their friends and prepare for University. Just in the second week of summer vacation the letters from University arrived.  Eunbyul had gotten a full scholarship for Yonsei University! Her hard work all these years had definitely paid off. As for Eunbi, she didn’t get a scholarship but she got into Korea University anyways.

Their mother was so proud she had no words. The evening the two girls told their mom she cried tears of happiness. Both her beautiful daughters made it into a SKY University which not everyone could do. Eunbi was still excited, she didn’t even expect to get the scholarship as her performance has never been as good as her sister’s, but she got in anyways! She would continue working part time and Eunbyul as well. As Eunbyul had the full scholarship the family concentrated to earn money from Eunbi’s University fees. Together they could do it and they would. Eunbi had never been that thankful in her entire life. Her life was perfect in this moment.

One day during work Sungjae, Eunbi’s coworker, talked with Eunbi about University and how everything will change. When she talked about her sister getting into Yonsei University he offered to help her out, as he attended the same University as well,

“You’re also at Yonsei? Heol! I didn’t know!” Eunbi was surprised.

“Well you never asked.”

“It would be awesome if you can show my sister around a little. I think the first week will be very akward as everything is new. But then I mean she’s quite tough.” Eunbi added.

“Sure I’ll show her around. You know what I always wondered? How brilliant is your sister? I mean she’s obviously younger then you if she’s already going to University. Is she one or two years younger?” he wanted to know.

“What makes you think she’s younger than me?” Eunbi laughed.

Sungjae was confused “Well I mean… no offense… but if you go to University now, your sister has to be either older or younger than you. If she’s older that would mean she failed some grades in school, knowing you I don’t believe that’s the case. That’s why I always thought she has to be younger… Am I wrong about that?”

“Deng… totally wrong. We’re twins.”

Sungjae’s eyes got a little bigger “Seriously? Like identical twins? Do you look the same?”

“We look exactly the same, you wouldn’t even know who is who. Only one person can tell us apart!” Eunbi laughed until she realized what she just said. Only one other person could tell the two apart within a second. Eunbi’s facial expression got a little sad.

“Eunbi are you OK? Did you get offended by what I said” Sungjae asked

“Oh no no, don’t worry. I was just lost in a thought for a second. If you want I’ll tell my sister to come pick me up next time she’s free, then you guys can meet each other.” Eunbi suggested.

“Sure sounds great!” Sungjae said in a delighted tone.

While walking home Eunbi had to think of next week. University would start. What would it be like? Would she be able to find new friends? Was she able to find some interest in someone without having to think about a certain someone? Would she even like to be a teacher? All these questions but no answers. This summer break has been very confusing for Eunbi. She thought she had forgotten all about Taekwang but deep in her heart she knew she was lying to herself. During the last school year she  basically had no time to even think about him, which was really good! It was good for her soul and also good for her family. They didn’t have to think about her broken heart. When summer came around she had too much time to think of him.

Sometimes she wondered where he was and what he was doing? Would he be OK living with his mother? What would he do after finishing High School? Maybe he would go to University as well, maybe even come back to Korea. Every time she thought about these things she told herself to stop it! It didn’t help her to think of him and it wouldn’t change anything in her life.

All she wanted to do now was concentrate on her education from now on. She wanted to be a great teacher who would help her students. As both Universities of the sisters where more than two hours away from their home, they decided to live in the University dormitories. As Eunbyul had the scholarship she could rent a single bedroom apartment for herself. Eunbi had the choice to pay for a single room or to share her room with another student. She decided to share a room as it was cheaper and she already knew what it was like to live with others from her time in the orphanage.

The Sunday morning before the first day they moved their things. First the sisters and their mother went to Yonsei University to drop of Eunbyul’s things. She decided to stay because she was scared that their mother would cry too much. After that Eunbi and her mom went to Korea University with the rest of the things and got into the room. It seemed like the other roommate was there already but wasn’t in the room at that moment. Eunbi told her mother to go home early as it took quite a while with the car and the traffic jams in the city. Eunbi’s mother tried to hold back her tears but couldn’t help herself.

“I’m so proud of both of you! You make me the proudest mother on this planet and I’m so happy both of you came into my life! I can’t wait to see you on the weekends but if it’s really hard you can call me. Don’t forget to check on your sister as well. You know with her temper she might not tell me every detail. I love you Go Eunbi” her mom told her.

“I love you too mom!” Eunbi hugged her mom for a long moment and then sent her off. Eunbi was starting to decorate her room when someone came in.

“Hello! You must be my roommate Go Eunbi?” the girl asked.

“Yes that’s me. What’s your name?” Eunbi asked.

“I see you didn’t check the name tags on the door” she laughed, “Lee Hyeri”.

“It’s nice to meet you!”

It turned out Hyeri was a first year like Eunbi as well. She was studying business administration and just got here a day before Eunbi did. She was from Busan and got into Korea University due to her good grades. Hyeri was similar to Eunbi, she also didn’t get a scholarship so she had already gotten two part-time jobs. One during the week and one on the weekends.

“I know the party for the Teacher’s Education students is on Wednesday, ours is Tuesday… so do you want to go to mine first and the next day we go to yours? I think it will be super awkward to go alone and not know anyone.” Hyeri mentioned.

“Sure. I guess it might be funny to meet other students” Eunbi said.

The next day everything was new. She had several introduction classes, met a lot of new people and also got a lot of materials to read through on the very first day.  This would be harder than she thought. For lunch she met up with her roommate in the University cafeteria.

“Oh wow I met a super handsome guy! He’s majoring in Business Administration as well! He’s sooo handsome! I don’t know what to do!!!” Hyeri screamed.

Eunbi thought she was cute. It was the first day and it must’ve been overwhelming for her as well but all she could thing about was the handsome guy in her class.

“Do you know his name?” Eunbi asked.

“Well… I mean I asked but I already forgot to be honest. Maybe Taemin or Taehyung?”

Eunbi had to laugh “I mean if he’s majoring in the same subject he might come to the party tomorrow. The chances are quite high and if you see him again tomorrow just make sure to let him know about the party” Eunbi suggested.

“Perfect plan Unni!” Hyeri answered with a victorious smile on her lips.

The next day the morning procedure was pretty much the same. New classes, new people, even more information. It was almost time for lunch so she walked into the direction of the cafeteria. As some first  year students still behaved like they were in kindergarten it was hard to find the right way. Some guys where running at a speed that they hit Eunbi. So got pushed against another student and fell to the floor.

“Are you OK?” the guy asked and offered his hand to help her stand up. The moment she stood up and looked him in the eyes her mind went blank.

It was Gong Taekwang!