Chapter 1 - Where are you?

Today I really want to be alone...

Chapter 1 - Where are you?

Go Eunbi’s life started not the way it should have. Separated from her sister Go Eunbyul, Eunbi led her life living as an orphan. Just when she just had enough and was ready to die, everything changed. She finally met her sister, made new friends and got to know what love and affection is.

Her life changed from the lonely Lee Eunbi to the always happy and cheerful Go Eunbi. She had her sister now and a mother that loved them both the same. She finally had a family. Einbi was genuinely happy, at least for a moment. Her relationship with her best friend Yian was going well… at least as well as it could be with your best friend. Best friend that’s the word that lingered in Eunbi’s head when she looked at Yian. But the worst thing was, her real best friend Gong  Taekwang didn’t come to school anymore.

“Why isn’t he coming anymore” Eunbi asked the home teacher.

“He’s having some personal issues that he has to take care of”, the teacher replied.

After a few weeks of constantly asking about Taekwang not only the teacher lost his patience but Yian as well. “Go Eunbi, he’s not coming back. We got notice from his family that he changed schools and won’t be attending this High School anymore.”

Eunbi didn’t know what to say. How could her life become so confusing again? Why did she even care? Ever since she started her relationship with Yian, Taekwang didn’t even look at her once. He completely ignored her and only talked to her if it was really necessary in class. And then he just vanished out of her life…

After school Eunbi and Yian were on their way home. When they passed through the Park where they started their relationship, Yian stopped walking.

“Eunbi…” he said.

“What’s the matter? You look concerned.” Eunbi noticed.

“Why are you still so worked up about Gong Taekwang? It’s annoying”

Eunbi was surprised. She obviously knew that Yian never really liked her to be friends with Taekwang but it never occurred to her that it was such a problem for him. “I’m not worked up. I’m just…” she didn’t know what she feeling. Did she miss him? Was she scared that he would fall into some sort of depression after all the things that happened in his family? Or was she simply wondering about her friend’s wellbeing? She wasn’t exactly sure.

“…sad.”

This was not the answer Yian expected. He expected something that sounded more like lie.

Yian always knew that there was something between Eunbi and Taekwang. But he has always told himself that it was a special bond of friendship. Gong Taekwang, that lazy boy, was her first friend and the first one to stand up for Eunbi, when Yian himself couldn’t do so due to his pride.

There it was the difference between Eunbi and Eunbyul. Eunbyul was his best friend, but Eunbi was the person he really liked. Eunbyul would’ve tried to find some sort of excuse in this situation just to make sure Yian wouldn’t find out how she truly felt. Eunbi on the other hand just told him the truth straight in his face.

He regretted asking her that question. Why did he even ask? He knew that Eunbi cared deeply for Taekwang and that was something he probably could never change. It was always the same with Yian. His jealousy was always standing in his way. He was always making a mess out of things that could be so easy. But in reality he was still scared that he would lose her.

It hurt his pride that he was still concerned with Gong Taekwang. He hasn’t even come to school the last few weeks and now he even changed schools… all this without even telling his so-called best friend Go Eunbi.

“I’m sorry I asked. I didn’t want to make you feel upset but it bugged me somehow” Yian concluded.

“I mean… he is my best friend. At least he was. I just wish he would call me and tell me he’s fine. Every time I call him, I’m connected to voice mail directly. It’s nothing to worry about though. If something bad had happened we would know eventually.” Eunbi smiled and continued walking.

Yian walked a bit faster to walk next to her again. “So you even call him?” He was getting nervous again.

“Of course! Do you never call your friends?” Eunbi replied. Yian glanced at her from the side.  “Sure I do, but not every day.”

“Yah! Han Yian, can you please stop to be jealous? I thought it was cute in the beginning but lately it feels a bit too paranoid!” Eunbi was getting angry. “Of course you don’t call your friends every day! You see them daily in school. But my life is different. My best friend is gone, my sister is thousand miles away and I don’t want to bother my mom too much! She already has enough of hardships because of me, so please. I beg you. I can’t deal with an overprotective boyfriend at the moment!”

The rest of the way home they didn’t say a single word. When they arrived at Eunbi’s house Yian took the chance to apologize.

“Eunbi, I’m really sorry for just now. I don’t want to annoy you in any way. But as you know my jealousy is quite strong. Not everyone has such a cute girlfriend so of course I’m trying to protect you from other boys.”

Eunbi finally smiled: “You’re stupid Yian.”

“I know but at least I made you smile. So… what are you doing later? I mean it’s Friday. We could go watch a movie later if you like.”

“I think I have to pass… I promised Eunbyul to Video chat with her today and mom also has her day off today so we wanted to have some family quality time tonight. Get some rest you have swimming training tomorrow don’t you?”

“Right I almost forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll text you later then. Bye” He waved her goodbye and went home. Obviously he didn’t forget his training session the next day, but he didn’t know how to react to the rejection. He tried to invite her out to dinner three times already, but she always had something more important to do. Maybe movies just weren’t her thing?

When Eunbi entered the door she could smell freshly cooked food. The smell was amazing and her mom was just setting up the table. Eunbi never knew what a real home was, or how it would feel to eat the food prepared with love by a mother. Putting the whole Gong Taekwang drama aside, her life was awesome! The school year was about to end and then her twin sister would come back from the states. They would finish their last year of High School together and all three of them would be reunited. Thanks to Eunbyul, Eunbi finally had a family.

“Eunbi, sweetheart! You’re home just in time!” her mom said with a big smile on her face. “Wash up and then we can eat. So we won’t be too late to call Eunbyul. She still has the entire day ahead of her.”

“Sure mom!” The thought of having dinner with her mom and calling her beloved sister made all the troubles in Eunbi’s mind go away.