Chapter 3 - Don't just run away

Today I really want to be alone...

Chapter 3 - Don't just run away

The next day Eunbi worked in the coffee shop, where she has gotten a part-time job just a month ago. She had a really nice boss and amazing coworkers. She liked her job and it seems the customers liked her as well. Today she was very tired, as she couldn’t sleep all night. She thought about what her sister said. Did she already decide to break up with Yian? Did she really like Taekwang this way? She didn’t know and she didn’t want to think about it anymore.

Even her co-workers noticed that she was tired. One of them Sungjae had a huge crush on her so he offered to swap tasks. Eunbi now only had to give people their drinks over the counter. Eunbi of course didn’t know he had a crush on her, even though it was obvious for everybody else.

She has been ignoring Yian’s text messages all day because she didn’t know how to face him or what to say. She just wanted to concentrate on her work and have a great time without having to think about all the boy drama.

Suddenly Sungjae asked her: “So the boy that comes by after your shift to pick you up… is her your… boyfriend?”

While Eunbi thought about her answer, Sungjae was getting nervous. “No… I mean yes. Yes he’s my boyfriend.”

“You hesitated though” Sungjae said happily.

“I did not! Why are you so happy about this?” Eunbi asked.

“I was just asking that’s all” He said waiving his hands out of embarrassment. His cheeks and ears turned red and he turned around to go over to the tables to clean them up. Eunbi started to get the hint and was kind of amused by it. Sungjae was about two years older and was in his first year of University. He was pretty mature which is why she never thought he could have an interest in a High Schooler.

Wow he’s really cute, smart and mature! He would be perfect for Unni Eunbi thought. I will set them up on a blind date for sure when she’s back home. Eunbi was delighted by the idea and the whole plan helped her to get rid of weird thoughts.

Her shift ended at 5PM. She never asked Yian to pick her up from her shift but he just did it every time he didn’t have a training session. Somehow she wished their training would be extra-long today. She had a feeling today was just not her day.

Around 4.30PM it usually got a little busy in the coffee shop. Sungjae has been taking orders for a straight 20 minutes and Eunbi prepared the beverages. They had been a good team. Just then, it happened.

“I would like to order a caramel Frappuccino, a big cup please.”

Eunbi froze. She didn’t dare to turn around. She panicked and didn’t know what to do.

Was it really him? If yes does he know I have been working here? Eunbi was lost in her thoughts.

“Yah! Go Eunbi, don’t daydream. We have another order” Sungjae woke her up.

Eunbi turned around and then she saw him. She looked him straight in his eyes and he looked at her with eyes she couldn’t read anymore. Was it sadness she saw? Or was it hate? Maybe he didn’t care for her at all anymore. He left school, never picked up her calls and did not even text her once. Eunbi’s eyes filled with tears.

“Eunbi? Go Eunbi? Hello? Are you going to work or what?” Sungjae asked.

There he was Gong Taekwang. He looked good, just a little… sad? She just didn’t know. They stared at each other for another minute without saying anything. It was like they communicated through their eyes without really saying anything. Sungjae was confused and didn’t know what to do. He has always been a diligent co-worker and taught Eunbi everything in here. He was smart enough to notice that Eunbi wasn’t able to move right now, so he just made the drink instead of her. He handed it over the counter and went back to the cashier.

Gong Taekwang hesitated for a moment. Then he went over to the counter to grab his drink. Just when he wanted to turn around and leave Eunbi finally found her voice. “YAH! Gong Taekwang!”

Taekwang didn’t know what to do. Eunbi looked like she would actually cry in a matter of seconds. It seemed like time had stopped. Still just looking at each other Taekwang finally said: “What do you want?”

“What I want? An explanation!”

“There’s nothing for me to explain. You made that very clear as well.” Eunbi didn’t know how to reply. He was right. He explained not only once. She knew she liked him but she chose Yian over him right in front of him. She had no right to ask for an explanation. She rejected him too often.

“Goodbye Lee Eunbi.” And just like that he walked towards the door.

Lee Eunbi that was my name once, and he was the only one that I never had to lie to… so why am I lying now? Eunbi was thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. She had to go after him. She didn’t care if her boss fired her, she didn’t care about Sungjae’s more than confused facial expression. She just had to talk to him. Without further thinking she ran after him out of the coffee shop.

“Taekwang, wait!” she stopped just behind him. Gong Taekwang turned around.

“Yah, Lee Eunbi, what more do you have to tell me? Whatever it is, just go to your boyfriend. I have nothing to do with you anymore, or the school or anything else. I changed schools because I didn’t want to see any of you ever again. So please if we ever meet again just pretend you don’t know me.” Taekwang turned around and continued walking.

Eunbi was fast enough and grabbed his arm: “Please listen to me. What do you mean you don’t want to see any of us anymore? Don’t you see that we miss you?”

“None of them ever missed me so why would they now?”

“I miss you!” Eunbi said with devastation in her voice.

“What’s going on here?” Yian asked.

Eunbi wasn’t sure how much of this awkward scene he has already witnessed or what he was thinking, but he ruined Eunbi’s moment of truth. She just wanted to tell Taekwang how she felt but now she couldn’t. She knew she couldn’t do it in front of Yian. She didn’t want to break his heart this way.

“I don’t know how you magically ended up right in front of Eunbi, but I want you to stay away from her” Yian said to Taekwang.

“As you wish, I was planning to do so anyways. I only met her by coincidence today.  Have a great life guys.” Taekwang got rid of Eunbi’s hand on his arm and started walking his way again.

“Gong Taekwang!!” Eunbi screamed.

“Go Eunbi!” Yian screamed at her.

Taekwang didn’t even turn around and walked away as fast as he could.

Eunbi sunk to her knees and started crying.