Chapter 11 - You don't know anything

Today I really want to be alone...

Gong Taekwang hated this situation. His only plan for tonight was to go to the party in order to talk to Eunbi. In the end this entire party already went out of hand, with Kang Soyoung walking in. What was she doing there anyways? How did she get into this University? On a second note he shouldn’t even complain, he didn’t even know how he got in himself. He wasn’t in a position to judge her. Even though he hated this girl. He hated her for everything she has done to Eunbi. After all that happened how could Kang Soyoung still be like this to Eunbi?

The moment this girl walked in he could feel the tension. He has been excited just moments before that, when Eunbi stared at him with her beautiful and shy face. Just seconds after everything changed. It was like Eunbi could never let go of her past and it was tearing him apart inside. All he wanted was for her to be happy. As he didn’t see Eunbi in any classes so far, he knew she wasn’t majoring in Business Administration. Kang Soyoung on the other hand seemed to be just right there. Taekwang liked it, because this way he could keep her in check and help Eunbi to avoid this person… if Eunbi would accept his help though.

Kim Min Joon was waiting for Taekwang to talk. “Hi everyone, my name is Gong Taekwang.” Kim Min Joon was still staring at him like he expected more. “What? Do you want to know even more?” he asked Min Joon, who nodded his head. “I’m 19 years old and I’m majoring in Business Administration. It’s my first year. I’m looking forward to get to know all of you” he continued.

“Thank you Gong Taekwang! OK you can sit down now, next up is the trouble maker over here” Min Joon said.

“”I’m Kang Soyoung, and I’m not a trouble maker. I was just joking a little” she claimed, which made everyone in the room moan. Kang Soyoung went over to Eunbi’s table as it still had a few empty places to sit down. The introductions of everyone continued until it was Eunbi’s turn.

“Hi guys, my name is Go Eunbi. Actually I’m not studying the same major as most of you. I’m majoring in teacher’s education and I’m here with my roommate today. It’s nice to meet all of you” Eunbi said.

After the introductions were over everyone continued eating and drinking. The girls next to Eunbi wanted to know what exactly just happened, especially Hyeri.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

“Who’s that Kang Soyoung girl?”

“What did she mean he’s protecting you? Do you have some sort of history?”

So many questions. Eunbi didn’t want to answer any of them. She didn’t even know these people. Maybe it was a bad idea to come here tonight after all.

Hyeri finally spoke: “Yah! Go Eunbi! Is he the guy?”

Eunbi didn’t know if she should tell Hyeri the truth now or later. She didn’t want to have this conversation in front of strangers but it wouldn’t help if she would do it later.

“Go Eunbi answer me!” Hyeri demanded.

“Let’s not have this conversation here” Eunbi said, while looking at Kang Sooyoung who was still busy eating. Even though she looked like she wouldn’t hear anything the girls on Eunbi’s side of the table would say, Eunbi knew better. Kang Soyoung obviously didn’t change. She would listen to every word Eunbi would say and sooner or later use it agains her.

“If you really want to know… no. I’m not her boyfriend and yes we know each other quite well” Taekwang’s voice said behind Eunbi.

This is only getting worse, Eunbi thought. This was probably the worst start of her college life she could’ve asked for. She just wanted to go to bed and put her blanked over her head. She wanted to get out at this very moment, but it would be to obvious that she couldn’t handle the situation. She wouldn’t give Kang Soyoung this sort of satisfaction. Eunbi closed her eyes and felt the blood rushing into her head.

“So does that mean you’re single then?” Hyeri wanted to know, while she was piercing Eunbi with her eyes.

“Yes I am, but I already have someone I like, so please don’t bother.”

Kang Soyoung started to laugh. “Are you serious right now? Heol! Gong Taekwang you really are an idiot. As far as I know she dumped you for someone else.”

Eunbi became really angry. “Yah! Kang Soyoung! No body in here wants to hear you talk! You don’t know anything so shut it…”

Not only Soyoung but even Eunbi herself were surprised at the sudden situation. Eunbi felt some sort of satisfaction. She wasn’t a shy and weak girl anymore. Even though she liked it, that Taekwang wanted to protect her from Soyoung, but to be fair Eunbi didn’t need protection.

“Eunbi” Taekwang said. Eunbi didn’t want to face him as she felt really embarrassed, but she had no choice. She turned around and looked him in his eyes. He smiled and grabbed her wrist. “We need to talk… now!”. Without realizing she stood up and he sort of dragged her outside.

The last thing Eunbi saw were the surprised and shocked faces of the people she was sitting with. The gossiping the next day would be really awkward and she already knew that Soyoung would start spreading weird stories right at this moment, but Eunbi didn’t care. She finally had the chance to tell Taekwang everything she wanted to tell him the last time she saw him.

 

As soon as they were outside Taekwang noticed that he was still holding on to Eunbi’s wrist. He let it go just for Eunbi to take his hand. Eunbi smiled at him and he couldn’t help but smile back at her. He looked at their hands. It felt great to hold her hand like this. He started walking away from the building the party was held towards a little park on the university campus. They sat down on a bench without letting go of each other’s hands.

“I guess the talk is going to be huge tomorrow” he finally said.

“I guess so…” Eunbi answered.

Taekwang looked her in the eyes. “I’m sorry Eunbi”

“It’s not your fault that they reacted this way.” Eunbi assured him.

“That’s not what I meant… I’m sorry about me treating you this way.”

Eunbi looked down. “I always hoped you didn’t mean what you said, you know”.

“I thought it was the best for both of us to leave you behind.” Taekwang tried to explain.

“What do you mean by leave behind?” Eunbi wanted to know.

Taekwang had a satisfied smile on his face. “You’re sister is amazing! She really didn’t tell you anything.”

Eunbi’s expression became a bit depressed. “Didn’t tell me what? Since when do you two have secrets? Since when do you even talk to my sister?”

Taekwang explained everything. How he left her behind as he had to go to Japan with his mother, how Eunbyul met him in the shopping mall in Tokyo and that everything he said was a lie.

After listening to everything Eunbi didn’t say anything for a while. Taekwang let her sort her thoughts and waited for her reply, still holding her hand. Both of them didn’t know how long they were sitting there until Eunbi was finally able to talk.

“So basically you thought it’s better to crush my heart instead of talking to me… You could’ve just explained why you had to go to Japan. You could’ve taken my calls or at least answer my text messages. Do you even know how much I hate you right now?” Tears fell down Eunbi’s cheeks.

Taekwang didn’t dare to touch her right now. He wanted to wipe away her tears but she wasn’t done talking.

“I know you were probably angry because of Han Yian, but seriously how can you be such an idiot. You even changed your phone number and totally cut me off.”

“It’s called jealousy…” before Taekwang could continue, Eunbi looked at him with her sharp eyes.

“You want to know what the worst part was? I hate you so much but all this time I loved you even more. I love you Gong Taekwang and that’s why I hate you!”

Eunbi’s tears didn’t stop running. Taekwang pressed her hand and pulled her head towards him, so she could put her head down on his shoulder. Eunbi cried a little longer. They just sat like this without talking. After a while Eunbi sat up straight again. She noticed Taekwang staring at her.

“What are you smiling at? Are you satisfied that I cried my eyes out in front of you?” Eunbi stared at him with an annoyed look on her face.

For a while Taekwang didn’t reply. He kept looking at her. Then he wiped away the last tears with his hands and said: “I love you too, Go Eunbi”.

Eunbi was feeling her face getting hot at that moment. Her face was burning from embarrassment. It was the first time Taekwang ever called her Go Eunbi and not Lee Eunbi. But that wasn’t the reason she was embarrassed to that extent. She told him she loved him before. She totally blurred it out because she was so angry that moment. Then on the other hand, at least he knew now. She just had to survive this awkward moment.

Taekwang was laughing at her, as he noticed her embarrassment. He put his arm around her and pulled her closer. Eunbi didn’t care about her embarrassment anymore and put her arm around him as well. They sat like this for a while, then Taekwang noticed it was already after 12pm.

“Do you think the party is over already?” he wondered.

“Definitely” Eunbi answered. “Why do you want to go back?”

“Not in particular, but I mean I would love to see Soyoung’s dumb face again.” He laughed.

“Sometimes I wonder if I did something wrong in my life” Eunbi randomly said.

“What do you mean?”

“Kang Soyoung…” was all Eunbi could say.

“Don’t worry Eunbi, I’ll protect you. This time I’m not running away, I mean if you want me to of course.”

“I do” Eunbi said while smiling at Taekwang.