Chapter 4 - We can only be friends

Today I really want to be alone...

Chapter 4 - We can only be friends

Eunbi was still crying outside the coffee shop. Yian didn’t know what do to so he thought it would be the best decision to just wait for her to get up. He knew already that Eunbi liked Taekwang way more than him, but he never wanted to admit it. Whatever he would do now, in Eunbi’s eyes it would be the wrong thing to do anyways. That’s why he decided to just wait for her.

“Go Eunbi! Are you alright?” Sungjae came out of the coffee shop and ran over to her. “Are you hurt somewhere? Can I do something?” He glared at Yian for a second and then looked back at Eunbi.

“Sungjae Oppa. Oh my god I’m so sorry! I just left you sanding there doing all the work… I’ so so sorry!” Eunbi just realized how she must look like right now. A crying High Schooler, who left work just to run after her crush. This was ridiculous and she knew that. She was so embarrassed of herself. First Taekwang didn’t even seem to care at all, Yian saw everything and just stood there now, and on top of it all, probably everyone in the coffee shop saw the dramatic scene outside.

Great just great. Eunbi tried to get it together. “You know what? Let’s just forget what we’ve all just seen here now and get back to work.”

“Are you sure you’re OK though? Sungjae asked.

“Of course I am, don’t worry. I must’ve overreacted a bit.”

“But who was this guy? I mean your no I mean yes boyfriend is right here… so who was this?” Sungjae asked out of curiosity.

“Oh that? That was no one. He’s not important anymore…” Eunbi replied with an empty look in her eyes. “Let’s get back to work”

Just like this she stood up with Sungjae’s help and both of them went back inside the shop. Eunbi didn’t even dare to look at Yian in this situation, so she decided to straight up ignore him. At least for now. She knew she had to talk with him face to face sooner or later but now was not the right moment. She was definitely not going to make another scene. When they entered the coffee shop no one looked at her. Eunbi was surprised. They either didn’t even see what happened outside, or they pretended to have not. Either way Eunbi was glad. She still hat around 20 Minutes until her shift ended.

The rest of her shift she tried to work hard and forget everything that just happened. The coffee shop has probably never been that clean. Not many guests came in around this hour, as it was almost time to be hungry enough to eat dinner. She did everything to be distracted and so she cleaned the entire shop in these 20 minutes. When her shift ended she pretended she didn’t know.

“Aren’t you going home?” Sungjae asked. “Or are you going to let the poor guy wait here forever?”

“What do you mean?” Eunbi couldn’t follow what Sungjae was saying.

“Well… no I mean yes is still waiting for you outside, so if I were you I would get it over with fast. I think both of these guys are good for nothing. One of them just runs away like a little boy and the other one doesn’t even know what he should do when he sees a girl crying.” Sungjae said and he really meant it.

Eunbi was really thankful for Sungjae, especially today. He didn’t ask anything or pressured her to talk about it at all. “Thank you Sunjae Oppa. I owe you for today. Next time I will take your shift if you’re in need! Just let me know! See you next week then.”

Now came the moment of truth. The moment she would have to break up with Yian. She was getting more and more nervous while she was approaching the front door. What should she say? I’m sorry I like someone else even though he doesn’t care about me anymore? No… This sounded so wrong. But she had to talk to him.

Yian was waiting for her outside. “I’ll walk you home” he said. Eunbi nodded her head and they started walking.

“Han Yian… I…” Eunbi started

“You don’t have to say anything. I already know. I’m OK with it though.”

“What do you mean Yian?” Eunbi was really confused. Was he talking about their relationship or something else. She wasn’t sure and didn’t know how to reply.

“Go Eunbi…” Yian stopped walking. “Let’s break up…”

Both of them stood there for a moment without saying a word.

“Just say OK already Eunbi. I know you will never like me as much as Taekwang even though he’s a total douche. I knew if from the day I found out you’re not Go Eunbyul. You are different than your sister. Sometimes I even think you only agreed to date me because you’re too nice. I knew that and still took advantage of the situation. When Taekwang stopped coming to school and you were worried about him, I just knew I’ll never have a chance against him.

To be honest I was glad he didn’t come to school. I thought if he’s gone you would be more focused on me, but  the total opposite happened.”

“Han Yian… I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry”. Eunbi had tears in her eyes again. Did Yian just seriously break up with her? Her plan was to break up with him.  Now it seems like he was doing her a favor and not the other way around.

Yian took the situation surprisingly well. “Don’t worry  I’m totally fine with it. Stop crying already”. Yian tried to lift up her mood. “You know where in High School right… I will grow up and get over my twin drama soon enough. It’s not like we are going to get married to our High School sweethearts…”

“I guess you’re right!” Eunbi laughed.

“So are we friends now?” Yian wanted to know “I mean just because you don’t want to date me doesn’t mean I don’t want to be friends with my favorite twins. Go Eunbyul is still my best friend so I hope we can get through this together as well.”

“Thank you Yian. The reason this entire thing happened was because I was afraid to lose you as my friend. And about today… can we…” Eunbi hesitated.

“I’ll never talk about it to anyone. I promise ” Yian finished her thought. “But in return I will hug you one last time”

Yian grabbed her arms and pulled her close. It was a nice hug. Like saying goodbye to your old lover and friend and wishing each other a new start. A new chapter for both of them was starting soon. Summer was just around the corner and then they would enter their last year of High School, in which they had to make a lot of decisions about their future.

Maybe it was best to forget boy drama and figure out what she wanted to do in life, Eunbi thought.