Chapter 5 - Searching for you

Today I really want to be alone...

Chapter 5 - Searching for you

The rest of the High School year seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. There was only a few weeks left for this year and Eunbi concentrated to get her grades up. Not that her grades have ever been bad, but she wasn’t as good as her twin sister and wanted to change this. She didn’t want her mom to worry about her grades or anything concerning school. Her mom already had enough trouble supporting two children when she was only meant to have one. Eunbi always felt like a burden to her mom, even though her mom would constantly remind her that this wasn’t the case.

Then summer came around. Eunbi never even wasted a thought on summer. In her mind she would continue working her shifts in the coffee shop and maybe find a second job in order to pay for tutor classes. But that wasn’t what her family had planned. Just as the school year ended Eunbi’s beloved twin finally came back from the states. Eunbi and their mom were super excited to have her back. The house seemed more alive as well. Both of them have missed Eunbyul’s sassy character.

It was that evening at dinner after Eunbyul and their mom have been talking alone for a long time in the kitchen. Eunbi thought they just had a lot to catch up, as Eunbyul was the first child their mom had. Of course their bond would be different and deeper. Sometimes Eunbi was jealous, but only for a second. Their mom as well as Eunbyul always gave her the feeling that they loved her. They also always told her that Eunbi was the more mature and intelligent one, which made all of them laugh. It was simply great to have a family!

“Eunbi! We have a surprise!” Eunbyul said at the dinner table while smiling.

Eunbi couldn’t think of anything better than finally having her sister back and having dinner with her mom. This was one of the little things that Eunbi treasured. For other people this would seem boring and not cool, but for Eunbi spending time with her family was the best present she has ever gotten. She didn’t know what a family was for so long and now she wanted to enjoy every single second of it.

“Aren’t you going to as what it is?” Eunbyul .

“We’re having chocolate cake for desert?” Eunbi guessed.

“Wow, you have no imagination do you… Think of something way bigger and cooler than desert!” Eunbyul said.

“We were thinking that we could all go on a family vacation together. This is the first summer you spend with us in this house and next summer both of you will be busy preparing for University. This is why Eunbyul and I were thinking that this might be the best time to do it.” Their Mom added.

“You’re saying we’re going on a vacation?” Eunbi said surprised. She never even thought of going on a vacation. This sort of thing just never occurred to her. “So where are we going” she asked concerned.

“We are going to…. Drumroll please!... Japan!” Eunbyul announced.

Eunbi was shocked. She has never been on a vacation, not to mention ever leaving the country. She had too many thoughts in her head.

“Do we have enough money for this? I mean you have been working enough already to take care of Unni and me, mom.” Eunbi asked.

“Don’t worry sweetheart. Why do you think I did work this much? It’s for our vacation! We wanted to take you to a great place! Sadly we only have two weeks as I cannot get more days off of work. But I mean it’s better than nothing.” Their mom added.

“This will be so amazing!” Eunbyul screamed.

Eunbi was happy. Going on a vacation with her family! This was amazing!! Later that night Eunbi couldn’t fall asleep. She was overexcited. Just in one week she would take an airplane for the first time and leave the country for the very first time! Was she dreaming? Was this really happening? Her life seemed too perfect right now.

“You also can’t sleep?” Eunbyul asked.

Eunbi and Eunbyul have continued sharing the room. For them it was totally fine. This way they didn’t have to move, the sisters were closer to each other and it wouldn’t make sense to move for only one more year of High School anyways. When they enter University one of them would probably move to a dormitory anyways.

“No I’m too excited!” Eunbi said.

“Can I ask you something?” Eunbyul started.

“Sure what is it?”

“Are you glad you broke up with Yian?”

Eunbi considered the question. Was she happier with Yian being her friend? Yes definitely. Was she happier? No, not at all, at least in the relationship aspect.

“Honestly yes. It so much nicer just having him as my friend. The last few weeks when we were at school we were still hanging out. Sometimes with our other friends and classmates, sometimes just the two of us. For me it’s not uncomfortable at all. It’s sad you couldn’t see him before he went to the swimming summer camp though. But why are you asking? Are you nervous to see him again?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I am. I mean we have been friends forever and he had a huge crush on both of us. I hope he can handle it next year when both of us will be in his face every day.”

“Don’t worry about it Unni, he will be fine… I hope.” Eunbi assured her.

“What about you? Will you be fine?”

“Of course! I’m over him so if you ever want to date him I’m totally fine with it.” Eunbi said.

“That’s not what I meant. You know what I’m talking about.”

Eunbi did know what her sister was talking about. She didn’t want to think about Taekwang though.

“Did you try to call him again? Or did you go to his house?” Eunbyul wanted to know.

“Or course not! He made it very clear that he’s  not interested in our friendship anymore” Eunbi recalled.

“And you actually believed that? Eunbi… you’re dumb. I have never seen anyone having a bigger crush on someone than Gong Taekwang. I heard he did many things for you while I was gone and I mean he never cared for anything or anyone at school. You changed him, you know”. Eunbyul said.

“But it seems like I broke him too…”

“Let’s try finding him tomorrow ok? I’ll come with you.” Eunbyul suggested.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea” Eunbi hesitated.

“I’m not going to watch you being heartbroken any longer. We’re going. You don’t have a choice!” And like this Eunbyul just made the decision.

The next day after breakfast their mom had to leave for work and Eunbyul took Eunbi outside.  I texted Shijin and Songjoo to meet us later to hang out. It will be great! We can go shopping or do whatever you want!”

Eunbi had a weird feeling: “Why do I decide? You should decide… you just came back home.”

“I think you will need it more today, and if I’m wrong I will decide what we do” Eunbyul said.

What was that supposed to mean? Either Eunbyul thought Eunbi and Taekwang would live happily ever after or something really bad would happen. Of course they were all in High School but they weren’t little kids. She will handle this like an adult she thought.

She was getting more and more nervous. While approaching the house Taekwang was living in, Eunbi’s steps were getting slower and slower.

“What are you waiting for? Are you scared?” Eunbyul .

“No I’m not!” She almost believed herself.

They arrived at the front door. There was no name or whatsoever on the door. Eunbi always knew that Taekwang’s family had some dysfunctions but she never imagined it to be this… empty. She didn’t want to think about much and just rang the bell without hesitating. After a few moments nobody opened the door. She rang the bell again. Still no one. She tried one more time before she would take on this task on another day.

“Are you searching for the people that lived here? A father and a son?” an old grandma that was passing by asked.

Eunbyul walked over to her ”Yes we are. Do you know when they are usually home?”

“Oh you don’t have to come back then. They moved out of this place last week. You know this is a troubled family. There was no love in this house. If the rumor is true the boy was taken by his mother who lives overseas somewhere.” The grandma continued.

“So you’re saying he’s gone…” Eunbi asked as she was coming over to the grandma as well.

“Yes the house is for sale. Did you not see the sign next  to the garden dear?” The grandma pointed to a red shield next to the garden door.

“Oh ok. Thank you grandma. I guess we won’t be finding what we’re searching for then. Have a great day.” Eunbyul said

“No worries” she answered and continued walking her way.

Eunbyul looked at Eunbi who was still staring at the sale sign. She took Eunbi’s arm and dragged her along. “Let’s go there’s nothing left to see here. So what do you want to do? You decide.”

“How about we go watch a movie” Eunbi suggested. She didn’t want to talk too much today. She actually just wanted to be alone right now, but she knew her sister would never allow that. On the other hand she was glad her sister tried to keep her mind off of that topic.

She couldn’t help but feel sorry. First she broke Taekwang’s heart and now he was gone somewhere with his mother overseas. A mother that never cared for him. It must be horrible for him and Eunbi wasn’t there to help him. She still remembered all the times when he was there to save her, to protect her and to make her smile when she needed it, but now she couldn’t do the same for him.

It was over…