Ch 11

Proposing Mr.Jeon

“I’ll pick you up from the hotel tomorrow.” Kim Taehyung stated while waiting for Rose’s answer. Yesterday, V suddenly called her phone. She didn’t know where he got her phone number. He told her that his father invited her to dinner. “I’m not comfortable to just crash into some people’s home.” She replied, in hesitation. “Will Jungkook be there too?” She asked. Leaving Taehyung speechless, how should he put it into words that his dad suddenly wanted to invite her for dinner and only her? It’ll make it sounds weird and make his dad sounds like a ert. “Yeap, Jungkook and Lisa will be there too.” He lied, luckily he talked to her through the phone. If they meet each other, she could sense something fishy is going on.

“Then, I’ll go with Jungkook tomorrow.” She said, feeling uncomfortable knowing the Lisa didn’t like her husband being with another woman. She gets it. She was in relationships too. “No! No! He might be late. Don’t worry my driver will pick you up safe and sound.” He said in rush, didn’t want Rose to bring Jungkook to the dinner too. “Okay then, see you tomorrow.” Rose type on her phone. ‘See you at the dinner tomorrow!’ and send it to Jungkook.

After the long day of meeting and discussion with her teammates, Rose excuse herself as the session ended at 6. She walks to the driveway of the hotel where the conference held. “Miss Park Rose?” A man came, escorting her to a white Mercedes. Rose arranged her heels following the man who seems like a driver that Taehyung describes at her a while ago. She didn’t have the time to change into a proper dinner dress as her schedule was pretty tight. A long cream slack and a matching jacket, a white dress shirt under the jacket. She looks like an office woman who was too busy to change for a formal dinner. Rose pulled her hair band, releasing the hair from the high ponytail. The car arrived at a private property, a huge mansion was seen in front of her, a mansion that big enough to fit everyone from her apartment complex in Taipei. ‘You better not be late Jungkook’ she typed down on her smartphone and send it.

“Rose!!” The deep voice that already familiar to ear was calling for her as soon as she steps out of the white expensive car. Rose smiled, in excitement, cannot wait to see Jungkook. She walked towards the inviting man who was standing at the huge door of the mansion. “Where is Lisa?” Rose asked, peeking her head into the huge mansion. Looking for the beautiful wife of Kim Taehyung. “Oh, she’ll not be joining us tonight.” He replied, abruptly taking her hand and pulling Rose towards a dining room not allowing her to ask more questions. Rose bowed her head, as soon as she saw V’s family in the dining room. Scanning her from top to toe.

“Hi everyone. I’m Park Rose.” Just like the typical cheerful Rose, she reaches out her hand for a handshake. Just one guy took her hand and shook it. While the others just stare at her hand and without reaction. Rose, withdrew her hand, clutching her handbag tight, feeling uncomfortable with the atmosphere in the room. Old Mrs and Mr Kim were looking at each other. Mr Kim nodded his head to his wife while the wife shut her eyes tight. "She's the daughter of Park Minseok." Mr Kim said to his wife and the middle age lady sighed again with her stoic face. 

“So dad, she’s here. Shall we eat?” V said to lighten the mood in the room. Meanwhile, Rose sat on the chair besides V, slowly picking up her cutleries when the elders already started eating their foods. The dining room looks amazing, a huge crystal chandelier dangling in the middle of the room, a warm fireplace at the front of the room with some flower vase at each side of the fireplace. “What is your name again?” A Taehyung father asked, looking at her like an eagle. Didn’t even get the chance to take a bite, Rose put down the cutleries again. Smiling. “It’s Park Rose, or my Korean name is Park Chaeyoung.” She replied.

“Where are you from Chaeyong-shi?” Another question from a woman besides Taehyung’s dad. His mother she guesses.

“I’m from Taiwan.” She replied. She could sense that something was not right with the atmosphere in the room. It was also pretty rare for someone to call her Chaeyong on their first meeting because that was her birth name. 

“Why Taiwan?” The woman asked again. 

“My dad works there. I was born in New Zealand and grew up in Australia. Me and my dad always moving around because of his job.”

“So your father is really Park Minseok? What did he do now?" She asked, as if she was asking for a confirmation. Rose nodded her head and took out her phone. She smiled and showed them a picture of her father on her phone. She pointed her index finger to the picture. "I rarely meet people that know my father." She smiled ending her sentence with a very friendly tone. 

“He’s a senior technician or something for a software company.” She inhaled deeply as was gasping for air. She was interrogated like a criminal. Rose glanced at Taehyung for once, frowning her brows at him. Kim Taehyung also seemed clueless and shook his head, replying her stare.

“Do you know who I am?” Taehyung father asked more.

“Of course I knew you. You are the chairman for VK group and this ma’am is your wife, that famous Mrs Kim Sooyoung an influential humanitarian around the globe. I really adore you, ma’am.” Rose stated smiling at the two elder in the room. The face of the two elders in the room turns darker as Rose continued talking in her cheerful tone. Mrs Kim heaves a sigh, throwing her napkin away from her lap. Crossing her arm, while her eyes glaring at Rose.

“Why are you here?? Did your father send you here??? To snatch my money??” Mrs Kim suddenly yelled at her with her eagle eyes. Rose was taken aback with the sudden rise of the woman's voice. She hid her panicked expression but her face was turning cold. “M-mom? What is this?” Taehyung asked glancing at the lady beside him and his mother who look really pissed.  “What do you mean? I don't know what are you talking about.” She asked, this time no more cheerful tone in her voice, the dangling chandelier does not look pretty anymore in her eyes.

“Tch, stop pretending! You! Pack your bag and get out of this country, we shall not meet each other again.” The woman who was in her mid-50s stood up from her seat, writing down a check. She threw the check right at Rose face, causes lump forming in . Picking up the cheque, 4 million US dollar was written on her name. “What is this?” She asked, again. Looking at the old woman. This time, Rose got a grasped of the situation. So, Mrs Kim was the one who her father hates the most. Rose raised her brows, suddenly everything in her life makes sense. She must be the unwanted daughter between her father and the woman who was raging in this room right now. That was the reason why her father hates her the most even though she was his only family. 

“Take that money as compensation of a mother’s love that you never receive your whole life. Don’t come here again to look for me and my money.” The woman said, crossing her arm, looking down at the young girl who seemed flustered to her words. Rose remained silences for a few second, blinking away her tears, looking at the cheque her hands and the old woman alternately.

“Are you saying that you are my mother?” Rose stood up from her seat, searching for the eyes belong to the old lady. As if she cannot believes her ears, Rose shook her head and put down the check on the dining table. All the foods laid on the table no longer look appetizing to her. 

Suddenly the door of the dining room was barged in by an old man, walking into the room with his cane, looking at Mrs Kim. “Is it true? She’s my granddaughter?” The old man weakly arranged his step towards Rose, taking a closer look of her face. “F-father-in-law, h-how did you come here?” Mrs Kim stuttered, wrapping her arm around the old man, assisting him to sit down on a dining chair. “Grandpa??” Taehyung who was remained silent the whole time gasped to see his grandfather walking into the heated room. "Dad, how did you knew about this dinner?" Mr Kim asked after he took a sip of wine from his tall glass.

“I’m sorry, where’s the toilet?” Rose asked, suddenly a maid appeared escorting her to the nearest toilet. Her knees were weakened, but she tried to walk as if nothing happens. Her mind was a mess and in confusion. Unable to understand what is happening to her right now. She looks at herself in the mirror, and no, she was not crying, but her face was pale as if her soul had left her body. She took out her phone dialling a number. “Hello? Miss Park?” A rush of relief came to her heart as she heard his voice.

“Jungkook, could you pick me up?” She asked, in whisper hoping the maid that her to the toilet did not hear anything. “What? Where are you now?” He asked he stood up from his couch, as he heard her panic voice. “I’m not sure where but I’ll send you the location.” She said, ending the conversation when the maid knocked on the door softly. She steps out of the bathroom, putting on a smile on her face, walking towards the room that turned silence since the other old man walked in.

“Excuse me, Mr and Mrs Kim. I think you got the wrong person. I don’t know you and your family and  we also never met each other.” Rose said, standing at the door frame of the dining room, refusing to walk deeper into the room. The middle-aged couple lifted their eyes, looking at her or to be exact glaring at her.

“I suggest you take a seat first young lady.” Said the old man that claimed to be the grandpa of Kim Taehyung. “So, Sooyoung-ah, is this your child with that Minseok?” The grandpa asked, focusing his gaze on Rose.

“I think she is my daughter with him.” Mrs Kim said, keeping her straight face while Taehyung let out a yelp. “I’ve made a promise to your father that I’ll look for his lost granddaughter after you got married to my son.” He stated, reaching out his hands to take a hold of Rose’s hand.

“I'm not your daughter. Mrs Kim, I think you got the wrong person.” Rose shook her head still not moving from her position at the door frame. She let out an awkward chuckle, slowly stepping forward for her jacket and purse. “I think that it’s better for me to make my way first. Don’t worry, keep on discussing with your family.” She arranged her heels backwards, putting on a wide smile on her face. Rose bowed her head for one last time before she walked out from the most intense dining room she ever ate in. The hallway that decorated with huge and tall pillar seems to be really long and that she almost suffocated looking at the luxurious furnishing in this mansion. Footsteps were heard coming from her back.

“Rose, I think we should talk!” Taehyung was running towards her. Rose shook her head, pushing the large main door of the mansion and keep on walking towards its driveway.

“Turn around for once. We need to talk!” Taehyung yelled, pulling the girl's arm, halting her steps from moving forward. Rose turned around, pushing Taehyung’s hand that was grabbing on her arm tightly. “Please! Let me go!” Rose screamed back in frustration, unable to get his hand off her arm. Suddenly a black car surfed into the driveway, revealing Jungkook who was walking out from the car.

“Please, let me go,” Rose muttered slowly, pleading Taehyung with her eyes. “She asked you to let her go Mr Kim Taehyung.” Jungkook walked towards Rose, with his eyes were moving toward Rose and V alternately. “Take her home safely.” Taehyung let go of her arm before he disappears back into the mansion. Rose was standing there, frozen while her eyes fixed on the asphalt where she was standing. “Let’s go away from here, Miss Park." Rose closed her eyes tight, before opening it back and inhaling back the air that seems to be restricted from entering her lungs. She never knew that 'Miss Park'  name that escaped from Jungkook's lips could comfort her.